Author Topic: Western Rite parish, Washington, DC  (Read 518 times)

Offline Lupe513

Western Rite parish, Washington, DC
« on: December 31, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »
Hey all,

I'm thinking of visiting St. Gregory the Great (Western Rite) Orthodox parish in DC (I'm a DC resident...Washingtonion(?)). Anyone been there/have any experience there?

Peace to all. :)

Lupe

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
Re: Western Rite parish, Washington, DC
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 02:01:01 PM »
Hey all,

I'm thinking of visiting St. Gregory the Great (Western Rite) Orthodox parish in DC (I'm a DC resident...Washingtonion(?)). Anyone been there/have any experience there?

Lupe
Didn't know the capital had a WRO. Good!
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 06:48:57 PM »
Great photographs at http://www.stgregoryoc.org/

Offline Keble

• All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 08:56:31 AM »
I've been there, many years ago.

Offline joebrgs

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 12:08:46 PM »
I visited this parish several years ago, before they bought their present temple. I'm sure they would be happy to have you, or anyone else, join them for a visit.

Offline Peacemaker

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 09:33:02 PM »
I like pictures  ;D

"Everything in this life passes away, only God remains. Only he is worth struggling towards. We have a choice: to follow the way of this world, of the society that surrounds us,and thereby find ourselves outside of God; or to choose the way of life, to choose God who calls us and for Whom our heart is searching." -- Blessed Seraphim Rose

Offline KostaC

• Chicago River Dyeing, March 15th, 20
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 01:57:45 AM »
Hey all,

Lupe

Yes, I myself visit every semester. I live only about two-and-a-half miles away. I find the church to be a shining example of our Western half. The community is made up of great people, and if you stay afterwards for breakfast, you won't be without fascinating conversation. Fr. Nicholas Alford has been all around the world, and any question that you have for him, I'm confident that he'll be able to answer. I hope that you have just as great an experience there as I did on my first visit.
«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34

"Bendito seja o que vem em nome do Senhor, o Senhor é Deus e se manifestou a nós."

Offline phronesis

• St. Mark, Pillar of Orthodoxy, pray for me.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 12:20:22 PM »
I attend St. Patrick Orthodox Church (stpatrickorthodox.org), which is another Western Rite parish out in Virginia. I've heard only good things about Fr. Nicholas (including that he makes his own mead!). If you live out in NoVA, we'd love to have you visit St. Patrick's as well!