OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 05:44:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Western Education Is Sacrilege"  (Read 246 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: July 06, 2013, 08:39:31 PM »

29 boarding school students burned alive, shot dead by Islamist militants in Nigeria

Islamic militants attacked a boarding school in northeast Nigeria before dawn Saturday, killing 29 students and one teacher.

Some of the pupils were burned alive in the latest school attack blamed on a radical terror group, survivors said...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 08:44:01 PM »

I can't fathom that they would see "western education" as so bad that they would do this kind of thing. I really... don't understand.  I mean, I don't understand doing this to begin with, but then because of that? What?
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 09:46:27 PM »

I'd guess the influence from such education systems on the youth's views causes a culture clash, to say the least.

If you look at college educated in certain Middle Eastern countries, you get some very angry anti-Islamist, even atheist sometimes (I'm thinking of some Iranians specifically), students and graduates. They then oppose the society directly through politics and etc., and indirectly by rejecting Islam and other traditional views. Not entirely the same since the 29 students were children, but I'd imagine it's perceived not too dissimilarly by the Islamists.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 10:49:36 PM »

I can't fathom that they would see "western education" as so bad that they would do this kind of thing. I really... don't understand.  I mean, I don't understand doing this to begin with, but then because of that? What?

Well, they are the spiritual descendants of al-Wahhab, who was a drop-out of Islamic school. He and his followers believe and do things which would have horrified the early caliphs. (Not that Mohammedans back in their day really cared for the early caliphs since a bunch of them were murdered.)

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: