OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 08:53:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wow. just wow.  (Read 2237 times) Average Rating: 0
Red A.

« on: July 06, 2013, 06:32:40 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSJt-LHMNRY#at=64

southern baptist preacher being a southern baptist preacher.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 06:58:43 PM »

The video title was misleading. He didn't throw a "hissy fit" so much as criticize random parishioners, and sounded like it's not the first time either.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 07:03:03 PM »

So, I am just gonna be really european and ask: who is this guy?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 07:05:46 PM »

So, I am just gonna be really european and ask: who is this guy?

I'm American, and I don't know who this guy is

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 07:24:39 PM »

Is this really reflective of SBCs?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Red A.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 07:36:30 PM »

this outburst a ways over the top, but the "it's all about me" attitude is pretty standard. This guy is a mega church pastor in tulsa oklahoma.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 07:44:22 PM »

Man, that's hysterical.

I think this is the final result of the end of Confession.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 08:37:15 PM »

I wonder what's with the wooden box and cruets on the communion table? The reserved sacrament , maybe? laugh

Proverbs 22:7
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 09:19:03 PM »

W  O  W 

and i stopped going to a chruch just because the priest keeps talking abt money issues every sunday. Undecided
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 09:25:36 PM »

I like him

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 10:50:30 PM »

A little too much like Chrysostom for you modern Orthodox?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 10:52:59 PM »

I don't think Chrysostom would have bellowed "Follow ME!"  Wink
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 11:19:17 PM »

Having spent 25 years as a Baptist (and much of that in Southern Baptist churches, I would say no.  It has been 13 years since I started attending Orthodox churches, so I guess it could have changed some, but I doubt that much.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 11:43:45 PM »

Having spent 25 years as a Baptist (and much of that in Southern Baptist churches, I would say no.  It has been 13 years since I started attending Orthodox churches, so I guess it could have changed some, but I doubt that much.
My grandfather called me out from the pulpit once for being asleep in the pews. He was fairly gentle about it, though, using good-natured mockery rather than anger.

Southern Baptists are a broad bunch; they encompass both the urbane skinny jeans pastor who wants to preach about God's plan for your sex life and the rural fundamentalist preacher who still makes references to the Scopes monkey trial in sermons. This guy's kind is rare, but they're not unknown, either. I know one SBC evangelist -- now asleep in Lord -- who would go so far as to call out those who looked distracted or amused at his hellfire and brimstone preaching and tell me them, "You may end up laughing your way to Hell."

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 11:48:41 PM »

I don't remember St. John Chrysostom publically naming people in the middle of homilies and airing their dirty laundry. Closest he came was making remarks about the empress, though she was a public figure and, from what I recall, his criticisms were about things that were obvious and known.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 12:14:53 AM »

I knew an Antiochian priest who would randomly mention an anonymous parishioner or two in his sermons. He was a protestant convert and I guess he used this technique to keep people on their toes. He would also divulge parts of confessions (without naming the penitent), especially those who would confess the sins of their spouses in an effort to avoid mentioning their own sins. He would pick up on their own sins that they were trying to hide. It was hysterical. While most people laughed, there were a few red faces in the congregation.

I have to say that I learned much from this priest whenever I would visit his church.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 12:52:13 AM »

I'm usually the first one to call out Protestants, but I actually like the guy. He reminds me of St. John Chrysostom how he is not afraid to speak out even when it angers his parishioners.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 02:10:46 AM »

Considering we don’t know what led up to this incident, I don’t think we really can say much, but being a former SBC minister myself I would assume it was a little overdue.  To me, he seems to be cleaning house a little bit.  As the leader of his church, it’s his responsibility to correct problems.  Perhaps, this was the last step before asking people to not come back and continue to infect the congregation.  There is a process followed in the SBC churches I am familiar with and this would not be the first time I have seen a pastor call people out in church, although, as I stated it is usually the next to last step in the process.  And in case people are not familiar with it, the guidelines are biblically based.

Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do.  But, I do not know him and have no idea what he is normally like.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 02:13:29 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 10:14:59 AM »

W  O  W 

and i stopped going to a chruch just because the priest keeps talking abt money issues every sunday. Undecided
Maybe the priest should try what this SBC preacher is doing and get a couple hundred out of it, that is if you are in America. Fear loves to collect money.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 10:14:59 AM »

We require more homilies on Kosovo.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 10:47:38 AM »

I don't remember St. John Chrysostom publically naming people in the middle of homilies and airing their dirty laundry. Closest he came was making remarks about the empress, though she was a public figure and, from what I recall, his criticisms were about things that were obvious and known.
+1

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 05:23:27 PM »

+1

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 05:44:52 PM »

I don't think Chrysostom would have bellowed "Follow ME!"  Wink

Or "submit to me."

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
spyridon

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Constantinople

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 05:53:11 PM »

I cant imagine you would fall asleep in there on a Sunday morning. I would need my migraine pills first though.
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 06:01:51 PM »

I imagine that his pre(?)-written homilies wouldn't contain spontaneous moments like that. He got pretty scathing with the congregation in general, though.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 06:41:01 PM »

I imagine that his pre(?)-written homilies wouldn't contain spontaneous moments like that. He got pretty scathing with the congregation in general, though.
Ya in general, but not calling people out...

"Theophilus you scribe...why must you write the gossips of the women! And you Horosius the merchant, trading your gold for pagan whores is just as bad as Christian whores.  And you Phoebe my deaconess, you are not spanking your students hard enough. And since when Adeotatus, you sly lawyer, do you eat with Jews!"

William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 06:57:13 PM »

"Theophilus you scribe...why must you write the gossips of the women! And you Horosius the merchant, trading your gold for pagan whores is just as bad as Christian whores.  And you Phoebe my deaconess, you are not spanking your students hard enough. And since when Adeotatus, you sly lawyer, do you eat with Jews!"

Seems like a reasonable scenario to me. Though I might vaguely recall him mentioning to first correct people in private somewhere.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 08:41:53 PM »

Bwahahahahaha

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2013, 10:58:32 PM »

"I'm the real deal"   "I'm someone important"  I would of got up and walked out right there.

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 01:55:25 AM »

St. John Chrysostom:

"I want to start again on my usual instruction and set the spiritual table before you; but I hesitate and draw back, seeing that you have gathered no fruit from my continual teaching. When a farmer has sowed the seeds with a generous hand in the bosom of the earth, and sees that the yield is not worthy of his efforts, he does not undertake the work with the same willingness for the hope of the harvest always relieves the burden of the effort. In the same way we also would easily have borne this great effort of teaching, if we knew that something greater were being produced by our advice for your benefit. But as it is, when we see that after so much exhortation, counsel, and rebuke from us (for we have not ceased reminding you of the terrible court, the inexorable judgments, that unquenchable fire, and the undying worm) some of those who listen to this (for I do not condemn all of you, far from it), have forgotten everything and surrendered themselves again to the satanic spectacle of the races, with what expectation shall we undertake the same efforts after this and set this spiritual teaching before them? We see that they have gathered no more fruit from it; but simply following some habit, they applaud what we say, show us that they receive our words with pleasure, and afterwords run back to the race-course. They give greater applause to the charioteers and show an uncontrollable frenzy. They rush together with great excitement and often wrangle with one another, saying that one horse ran badly, another was tripped and fell. One person attaches himself to one charioteer, another to the other. They have no thought or memory of our words, nor of the spiritual and awesome mysteries which are celebrated here; but like captives in the snares of the devil they spend the whole day there, surrendering themselves to the satanic spectacle, and shaming themselves before the Jews, the pagans, and those who wish to ridicule us.
     Who would be able to endure this without pain, even if he were stony-hearted and insensible, not to mention us who are eager to demonstrate our paternal love towards you all? This is not the only thing which grieves us, that you reveal our toil as fruitless; but we are even more affected when we consider that those who do these things are bringing more severe condemnation on themselves. We expect the reward of our efforts from the Master, for we have done all our part, we have invested our silver, we have distributed the talent entrusted to us, and we have omitted nothing of the tasks which came to us. But as for those who received this spiritual silver, what excuse will they have, tell me, what pardon, when not only the principal is required of them but also the interest? With what eyes will they look on the Judge? How will they endure that terrible day, those unbearable punishments? They cannot plead ignorance, can they? Every day we resound in their ears, we exhort them, we urge them, we show them the destructiveness of their delusion, the greatness of the harm, the treachery of Satan's assembly; and even so we have not been able to reach them.
     And why do I speak of that terrible day? Let us train them just for the present life. How, tell me, will those who have shared in the spectacle of Satan be able with confidence to attend here, while their conscience rises up against them and cries out with a loud voice? Or do these people not hear the blessed Paul, the teacher of the world, when he says, "What fellowship has light with darkness . . . or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?" What condemnation would it not deserve, when the believer who enjoys both the prayers and awesome mysteries which are celebrated here and the spiritual instruction, after the end of the service here, goes out and sits in that satanic spectacle with the unbeliever-he who has been illuminated by the light of the Sun of righteousness, with him who wanders in the darkness of impiety? How, tell me, after this will we be able to silence the pagans or the Jews? How will we be able to attract them, how will we persuade them to come over and enroll themselves in piety, when they see those who are enrolled with us mixed up with them at those deadly shows which are filled with all kinds of corruption? Why, tell me, after attending here, cleansing your thoughts, and leading your mind to sobriety, and compunction, do you go back there and defile yourself? Or do you not hear the voice of a wise man who says, "When one builds and another tears down, what do they gain but toil?" This is what is happening now. When you go back there and tear down all at once what we have built up here by our continual instruction and spiritual exhortation, and you raze it (so to speak) to the foundation, what use is there of our demonstrating the elements of the building again from the beginning, and in your going through the purification again? Would this not be the greatest madness and senselessness? Tell me, if you saw someone doing this kind of thing in these material buildings which are made with stones, would you not look upon him as a madman who toils haphazardly and vainly, and spends everything to no purpose? You must think the same way about this spiritual building, and cast the same vote in this case."

he goes on for a few more pages but my fingers hurt and i need to sleep for work tomorrow.

and source:

St. John Chrysostom, On wealth and poverty. Seventh sermon

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2013, 03:50:01 AM »

"Nice little worldlians." LOL! I liked that part.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Gayle

Faith: Orthodox christan

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 06:01:17 PM »

some of us(people)just need to wakeup and smell the hummus!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2013, 06:20:55 PM »

Christian whores! Cheesy   I think this is one of the more fundamentalist strain of independent baptist churches.  From their website: "Immanuel Baptist Church is a unique body with a unique call for a unique period in history. The very essence of this body's name, "Immanuel - God with us," implies the desire of God to lead us by His spirit, not by past, dead traditionalism. We are a specific family with a specific call for a specific time in history. Fulfilling that call requires us to walk with one foot in the truth and one foot in the miraculous, with our whole heart determined to die to self so we can come alive in Him - sanctified, justified, and anointed to fulfill our spiritual destiny."
Bro. Bill Bowman ~ Associate Pastor
http://www.ibcskiatook.com/about-us/about-our-church

I've seen this before.  It can be hilarious, yet still embarrassing for all involved.

sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2013, 06:37:53 PM »

Maybe he exaggerated his point a little too much, but sometimes people need to tough love; adults as well as kids. I include myself first and foremost in that statement.
Remember also that the same guy who called people out a little too much, also hugged his congregants and reminded them that he does love them; I imagine as a brother as well as a mentor.

I like the guy

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2013, 06:42:58 PM »

"I'm the real deal"   "I'm someone important"  I would of got up and walked out right there.

During the app. 1 1/2 hours on a Sunday morning he is someone special. From 9 to 5 Monday-Friday, my boss is some big thing too. I am speaking of their office, that in one capacity or another we may all temporarily have

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 07:37:20 PM »

"Nice little worldlians." LOL! I liked that part.

Same here. 

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »

Gotta love some forms of Protestantism, where church is just one big show.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2013, 08:11:26 PM »

After years of shows, I lost my faith.

Laird
Not yet able to attend an Orthodox Church
Elder

Faith: Inquirer (Catechumen soon hopefully)
Jurisdiction: Baptist

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2013, 10:25:47 PM »

*sigh* Yeah it seems like that to me to. My pastor nearly every week at the beginning of his sermon tells a funny story and tells jokes.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: