OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 06:13:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you do... if you were Ecumenical Patriarch?  (Read 3732 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 05, 2013, 03:42:58 PM »

Sort of a silly (with some seriousness) thing to ask, but what would you personally do, if you suddenly found yourself as Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople?
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »

Well, after I was done playing with my new found beard, I would go about getting Ukraine a Church of her own, out from under Moscow.  angel
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 03:45:41 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:46:19 PM »

Resign.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »

Well, after I was done playing with my new found beard, I would go about getting Ukraine a Church of her own, out from under Moscow.  angel

If you had such prerogatives and it's not clear.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 04:03:50 PM »

I would work with the Church of Greece to reunite and then move my See to Athens and be the Patriarch of Constantinople and Athens and all the Greeks. I would work with my brethren in the MP to create a Patriarchate for the Carpatho Rusyns. And I would acknowledge the status of New, New, New Rome (or Brand Spanking New Rome) and its bishop +Tikhon, Patriarch of All America and Canada and the Western Hemisphere.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 04:06:26 PM »

Reverse some of the 1888 Typikon reforms, so that the canon would be sung at Matins and the Typika/Beatitudes used on Sunday liturgies (save certain feasts).

I'd also call for the destruction of all pipe organs in my American parishes and, once complete, add it to the Church calendar as a new feast.

Reunite with the Church of Greece, following the restoration to it, if possible, of the Greek Old Calendarist groups.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:34:56 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 04:07:15 PM »

Well, after I was done playing with my new found beard, I would go about getting Ukraine a Church of her own, out from under Moscow.  angel

Should be clear.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Annie Och

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 04:08:43 PM »

I would make pews and clean-shaven clergy mandatory.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 04:10:36 PM »

Should be clear.

Orthodox Vatican? I'll pass.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 04:10:54 PM »

Will we get a Bazaar of Heracleides vol. 2 once you're sent into exile?  Wink
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 04:11:29 PM »

Set a definite date for the council that's been in the planning stages for five decades now. Probably January 25, 2014. I don't care who is ready or not. OCA and all similar groups are invited. I get the best seat.

St. Basil is great!

Wonder if he drank goat's milk . . .

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 04:26:48 PM »

I would seek a return of the church of Hagia Irene, currently a concert hall. I'd raise funds to paint over the empty walls & iconoclastic crosses with iconography, and raise funds to renovate the building and making it structurally stable. I'd also attempt to raise funds to purchase nearby buildings which currently are part of the whole Topkapi Museum complex (they aren't for displays) and seek to move the Patriarchal headquarters there. It's not Hagia Sophia, but it is the second largest church in Istanbul, plus it was originally the seat of the Archbishop there prior to Hagia Sophia.

I'd also seek the full return of Halki Seminary and seek to reopen it as a seminary, and also seek to build an orphanage and rehab center on or near the island.

I would actively seek to get Turkey to respect and recognize Orthodox populations and seek equality between peoples. I'd also campaign in the EU, Russia & US to pressure Turkey to improve human rights and rights of all Christians within Turkey.

I'd also declare Turkish as a valid liturgical language for common use within Turkey and I'd encourage Orthodox missionaries to work within the nation, and also encourage Greeks and others to move into Turkey and settle near any Orthodox Churches.

I'd also seek to reunify the Church of Greece with the Patriarchate. I would release my churches in Sweden, Finland, Estonia and any Ukrainian Churches to the Church of Russia, possibly in a deal to bring all North American Churches under my omophor as an autonomous church, and release my churches in South America to Antioch.

Along with this, I'd also back off on Ecumenical efforts with the Roman Catholics, and strengthen/increase Ecumenical efforts with the Oriental Orthodox.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:29:50 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 04:26:59 PM »

I would seek to repair the relationship between us and the old-calendar churches, which would, hopefully, eventually lead to a reunion. I would work out a clear definition of the relationship between the Orthodox Church and the heterodox denominations. I would seek out a closer relationship with the other Orthodox Churches, try and solve some of the canonical issues between the EP and the MP. Lastly, I would devote myself to missionary work, both in Turkey and in other parts of the World.

Realistically speaking, however, I would most likely be a very bad patriarch. I would probably be the Charlie Brown of the Orthodox world.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 04:34:41 PM »

Of course, all the steps below are not considering the huge political opposition they would suffer and that currently I have no skill or competence to deal with. I suppose the necessary skills would be divinely infused along with the miraculous event of my elevation.

I would continue the campaign to reopen Halki if it is not open by then.

I would support catechetical campaigns for adults, cradle and convert. I would put emphasis on Christian life as prayer, ascesis, love and truth.

I would discuss with traditional RC, OO and Protestants how we could create an ecumenical discourse based both on mutual friendship and cooperation and that at the same time does not send ambiguous messages about union, or about we being "mysteriously one", or not being able to know where the Church is not.

I would be as firm and unequivocal about the particularities of the Orthodox Church as with the common beliefs with other Churches, with a slight emphasys on the differences to balance years of commonalities. In the same spirit, I would respectfully disagree and affirm that we are right and they have deviated, and that I respect their right to think the same about us.

I would declare my support for the acknowledgment of the ecumenicity of the 8th, 9th and 10th councils and that the council of 1672 can be called the 11th (after the fall of the empire the oecumene is the whole church).

I would support the translation of classic and contemporary theologians, as well as lives of modern saints into English and support the creation of several translation committees in as many languages as possible. Preference would be given to those who did not have ecumenism as a cause and did not try to relativize differences to make them more palatable to the West.

I would not demand but issue a request that those who are in the process of becoming priests or bishops and felt they had the vocation for it, to take Management and Leadership courses at the best schools in their countries.

I would dettach myself entirely from radical enviromentalism.

My two most controversial acts would probably be:

I would support the study - maybe working together with the Roman Church - of the Salamanca School on capitalism, free-market and commerce to develop a thoroughly Christian approach toward the creation of wealth;

I would firmly condemn communism as the greatest persecutor of Christianity and of the Orthodox Church in the 20th century. I would seek to find the non-slavic passion bearers and martyrs of communism and glorify them.  In an ecumenical step, I would issue a communicate analogous to Decretum Contra Communismum, with the economic provision that forced colaboration did not constitute self-excomunication. Probably would get a lot of trouble with the Slavic Churches anyway.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 04:37:01 PM »

Should be clear.

Orthodox Vatican? I'll pass.

What?  You are comparing a Ukrainian Canonical Orthodox Church with the Vatican?  Why?

I'm not surprised you're against the idea, but, I don't get your logic....as usual.

—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 04:40:53 PM »

Realistically speaking, however, I would most likely be a very bad patriarch. I would probably be the Charlie Brown of the Orthodox world.

LOL.

I would support the study - maybe working together with the Roman Church - of the Salamanca School on capitalism, free-market and commerce to develop a thoroughly Christian approach toward the creation of wealth;

Bigger LOL.

What?  You are comparing a Ukrainian Canonical Orthodox Church with the Vatican?  Why?

I'm not surprised you're against the idea, but, I don't get your logic....as usual.

If Constantinople had prerogatives to grant autocephaly to any part of the Church, no matter had it been their canonical territory or not, it would be "Orthodox" Vatican. Thanks God, looking into Chambesy agreements, even them do not claim that anylonger.

I would seek a return of the church of Hagia Irene, currently a concert hall. I'd raise funds to paint over the empty walls & iconoclastic crosses with iconography, and raise funds to renovate the building and making it structurally stable. I'd also attempt to raise funds to purchase nearby buildings which currently are part of the whole Topkapi Museum complex (they aren't for displays) and seek to move the Patriarchal headquarters there. It's not Hagia Sophia, but it is the second largest church in Istanbul, plus it was originally the seat of the Archbishop there prior to Hagia Sophia.

I'd also seek the full return of Halki Seminary and seek to reopen it as a seminary, and also seek to build an orphanage and rehab center on or near the island.

I would actively seek to get Turkey to respect and recognize Orthodox populations and seek equality between peoples. I'd also campaign in the EU, Russia & US to pressure Turkey to improve human rights and rights of all Christians within Turkey.

I'd also declare Turkish as a valid liturgical language for common use within Turkey and I'd encourage Orthodox missionaries to work within the nation, and also encourage Greeks and others to move into Turkey and settle near any Orthodox Churches.

You wouldn't be patriarch for a long time then.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:42:27 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 04:47:45 PM »

Grin

I would work with the Church of Greece to reunite and then move my See to Athens and be the Patriarch of Constantinople and Athens and all the Greeks. I would work with my brethren in the MP to create a Patriarchate for the Carpatho Rusyns. And I would acknowledge the status of New, New, New Rome (or Brand Spanking New Rome) and its bishop +Tikhon, Patriarch of All America and Canada and the Western Hemisphere.

Grin

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 04:53:51 PM »

Some things that has not appeared yet:
- Stop requiring presbyters to be tonsured prior to consecration (and discouraging that)
- Introducing WRO in the EP
- Merging Rue Daru, Ukrainian, Albanian, Lemko, and regular dioceses into one structure based on geographical lines.
- Bigger tolerance for different calendars, languages, traditions etc.
- Letting Estonia, and Japan (do they have any parishes in Japan?).
- Acknowledgement of OCA autocephaly (like that for start)

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 05:59:25 PM »

Establish two fully united autocephalous American Orthodox Churches, one in North America and Canada, and the other one in Central and South America. Canonize a Hispanic Saint.  Try reaching out to urban areas and ghettos. Anathematize Ecumenism and anyone who follows it, organize a mass Orthodox protest in front of the Hagia Sophia with Western attention and full news coverage and refuse to call it off until the Turkish government gives it back to us, finally give Ukraine its own Church so it quits complaining, and finally, give the newly established united North American Orthodox Patriarchate the first-among-equals status since the United States is like the 4th Rome.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 06:00:58 PM »

Sort of a silly (with some seriousness) thing to ask, but what would you personally do, if you suddenly found yourself as Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople?

I "found myself" as Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople almost ten years ago...just waiting for reality to catch up. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 06:06:14 PM »

Establish two fully united autocephalous American Orthodox Churches, one in North America and Canada, and the other one in Central and South America. Canonize a Hispanic Saint.  Try reaching out to urban areas and ghettos. Anathematize Ecumenism and anyone who follows it, organize a mass Orthodox protest in front of the Hagia Sophia with Western attention and full news coverage and refuse to call it off until the Turkish government gives it back to us, finally give Ukraine its own Church so it quits complaining, and finally, give the newly established united North American Orthodox Patriarchate the first-among-equals status since the United States is like the 4th Rome.

That's very... idealistic.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 06:12:01 PM »

Impress the women with my power and be kicked out of office within one year in a Bill Clinton-ish fashion.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 06:17:55 PM »

Add Western Saints to the EP calendar and publically endorse WRO.
Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 06:38:27 PM »

Resign.

Me too
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 07:34:07 PM »

I would firmly condemn communism as the greatest persecutor of Christianity and of the Orthodox Church in the 20th century. I would seek to find the non-slavic passion bearers and martyrs of communism and glorify them.  In an ecumenical step, I would issue a communicate analogous to Decretum Contra Communismum, with the economic provision that forced colaboration did not constitute self-excomunication. Probably would get a lot of trouble with the Slavic Churches anyway.

I'd suggest opus dei or some such . perhaps the legionaries of mary.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 07:53:48 PM »

Some things that has not appeared yet:
- Merging Rue Daru, Ukrainian, Albanian, Lemko, and regular dioceses into one structure based on geographical lines.
- Bigger tolerance for different calendars, languages, traditions etc.
- Letting Estonia, and Japan (do they have any parishes in Japan?).
- Acknowledgement of OCA autocephaly (like that for start)

See my above post. Smiley

St. Basil is great!

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 08:35:21 PM »

Reverse some of the 1888 Typikon reforms, so that the canon would be sung at Matins and the Typika/Beatitudes used on Sunday liturgies (save certain feasts).

I'd also call for the destruction of all pipe organs in my American parishes and, once complete, add it to the Church calendar as a new feast.

Reunite with the Church of Greece, following the restoration to it, if possible, of the Greek Old Calendarist groups.

Actually Patriarch Bartholomew did try to eliminate the pipe organs.  His directives were interpreted as suggestions and simply ignored.
Father H
Archon

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 08:37:37 PM »

While the issue of autocephaly may not be clear (actually it is, but de facto vs. de jure is a detraction from this thread), one thing that is clear is that no one has become a patriarchate without Constantinople's approval. 
Father H
Archon

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 08:40:10 PM »

Actually the Violakis typikon prescribes the typika/beatitudes to be sung.  It is a further reform in the hieratikon from the 1920's that serves as the basis for modern Greek praxis on this.
Father H
Archon

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 08:40:42 PM »

Some of the Saints are, but the latter, well... if we are going based on Constantinople 1895, WR is already endorsed.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:41:23 PM by Father H » Logged
Father H
Archon

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2013, 08:43:19 PM »

I assume you mean modern American Hispanic saints, since we have hundreds of Hispanic saints on the calendar already. 
Father H
Archon

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2013, 08:48:02 PM »

Why a Patriarch for just Carpatho Rusyns, not all of the Rusyns (Ukrainians)?   Ukraine needs its own patriarchate.  The Patriarchate of Rus-Ukraine also would and should respect the plain chant tradition in the Carpathian regions.   
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2013, 08:57:06 PM »

Without getting too much into forbidden political discussion...while I am very sympathetic to the goal, that tactic would never work.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2013, 09:05:05 PM »

Should be clear.

Ukraine has a church of her own. And then she has a couple which want nothing to do with the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 09:08:27 PM »

Actually Patriarch Bartholomew did try to eliminate the pipe organs.  His directives were interpreted as suggestions and simply ignored.

Trendy.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 09:49:40 PM »

Anathematize all who post on forums like this one. Wink
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 10:21:31 PM »

That's even better than hijacking a couple nuclear weapons and holding the world for ransom.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 10:43:13 PM »

Should be clear.

Ukraine has a church of her own. And then she has a couple which want nothing to do with the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.

Not a canonical one that is under Ukrainian rule. Not yet, anyway. Soon.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2013, 10:45:59 PM »

Should be clear.

Not a canonical one that is under Ukrainian rule. Not yet, anyway. Soon.

The Ukrainian Orthodox Church is autonomous, just like the Japanese and Finnish Orthodox Churches, but no one says they're ruled from Moscow or Constantinople.

Father H
Archon

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2013, 10:51:32 PM »

Should be clear.

The problem is that the mother should not be slave to the daughter.  This has splintered the ecclesiastical landscape in Ukraine.  This can be fixed.  Do we really think it is ok to isolate millions of faithful from communion, who especially among the younger crowd simply inherited this situation?   
Father H
Archon

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2013, 10:53:21 PM »

If not all, maybe some   Wink
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2013, 11:02:52 PM »

Should be clear.

The problem is that the mother should not be slave to the daughter.  This has splintered the ecclesiastical landscape in Ukraine.  This can be fixed.  Do we really think it is ok to isolate millions of faithful from communion, who especially among the younger crowd simply inherited this situation?   

People have been duped to follow the Kyiv Patriarchate and the UOAC (or whatever it is). I don't think that is the fault of the Orthodox Church nor of Moscow. In the days of St. Augustine, most of North Africa was Donatist. That didn't change anything.

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2013, 11:03:14 PM »

Declare the WRO (the adopted BoC form; other western rites may be acceptable, but why resurrect them?) as anathema.

Western saints ARE in the EP calendar.

Do all things synodically and then return to the old calendar, call for a crusade to liberate Agia Sophia, apologize to Mt. Athos' monks for their treatment over the past few years, publicly declare the Pope in schism, and get Rush to play my enthronement...them or Iron Maiden.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2013, 11:08:52 PM »

Renounce the claim to the "barbarian lands," if the real EP hasn't done that already. After all, wouldn't that be the whole world now?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 11:09:23 PM by OrthoNoob » Logged

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2013, 06:42:17 AM »

More need to be added.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:42:28 AM by Alpo » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2013, 07:40:10 AM »

More need to be added.

Who's missing?
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2013, 07:42:30 AM »

More need to be added.

Who's missing?

Scandinavians.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2013, 07:48:31 AM »

Why a Patriarch for just Carpatho Rusyns, not all of the Rusyns (Ukrainians)?   Ukraine needs its own patriarchate.  The Patriarchate of Rus-Ukraine also would and should respect the plain chant tradition in the Carpathian regions.    

Many Rusyns do not identify themselves as Ukrainians just as many Ukrainians do not identify themselves as Russians. Ironic that Ukrainians want to smother Rusyns just as Russians want to smother Ukrainians.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2013, 07:56:39 AM »

Ironic that Ukrainians want to smother Rusyns just as Russians want to smother Ukrainians.

Some things are universal. I've been recently reading biography of Ayaan Hirsi Ali. IIRC she wrote that when she lived in Saudi-Arabia her family were called as slaves by Saudis and when she lived in Kenya her mother called Kenyans as slaves.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 07:56:57 AM by Alpo » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2013, 08:14:32 AM »

Scandinavians.

Surely the parishes in Scandinavia that most actively promote Scandinavia's Orthodox heritage are the Exarchate churches under the Ecumenical Patriarchate? In Norway, they always celebrate liturgies for Ss. Olav, Halvard, Sunniva and Trifon. I assume the same is true of Denmark and Sweden.

Also, if you go to the home page of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain, one of the firsts things you'll see is a little display showing icons of British Saints.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2013, 08:21:46 AM »

Scandinavians.

Surely the parishes in Scandinavia that most actively promote Scandinavia's Orthodox heritage are the Exarchate churches under the Ecumenical Patriarchate? In Norway, they always celebrate liturgies for Ss. Olav, Halvard, Sunniva and Trifon. I assume the same is true of Denmark and Sweden.

That's nice to hear. Finland is part of the EP and I haven't encountered any interest in Scandinavian Saints in Finland. I thought same applies to other Scandinavians too.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2013, 08:37:41 AM »

I vote for this.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2013, 08:41:22 AM »

That's nice to hear. Finland is part of the EP and I haven't encountered any interest in Scandinavian Saints in Finland. I thought same applies to other Scandinavians too.

Finnish interest in Scandinavian saints isn't going to come from Istanbul, it will come from Finland. Based on the EP's attitude to Western saints elsewhere, if they aren't celebrated in Finland, then it's a local, Finnish problem, not a Constantinopolitan one.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2013, 09:01:02 AM »

More need to be added.

Says who and why?  Besides, the person to whom I responded essentially said there were NO western saints on the EP's calendar which is patently false.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2013, 09:04:16 AM »

Why a Patriarch for just Carpatho Rusyns, not all of the Rusyns (Ukrainians)?   Ukraine needs its own patriarchate.  The Patriarchate of Rus-Ukraine also would and should respect the plain chant tradition in the Carpathian regions.    

Many Rusyns do not identify themselves as Ukrainians just as many Ukrainians do not identify themselves as Russians. Ironic that Ukrainians want to smother Rusyns just as Russians want to smother Ukrainians.

The hypernationalists do, but most of us, at least here in the states get along. Most here are Rusyns  south of the Tatras and Ukrainians north and east of the same. How we self identify just goes on and on and no doubt seems odd to others....

The Rusyn politicians in Uzhorod, including Father Sydor, have had problems though.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2013, 09:06:53 AM »

In response to what?

If nothing specific, reintroduce pipe smoking to the people.  Think of it as a sort of home censer.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:09:19 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2013, 09:22:15 AM »

Says who and why?

Says me. Because it's right.

Besides, the person to whom I responded essentially said there were NO western saints on the EP's calendar

Nope.

Finnish interest in Scandinavian saints isn't going to come from Istanbul, it will come from Finland. Based on the EP's attitude to Western saints elsewhere, if they aren't celebrated in Finland, then it's a local, Finnish problem, not a Constantinopolitan one.

The Scandinavians were just an example. The point of my suggestion to "what would you do if..." was to diminish the Easternness of the Church. We are not a Greco-Russian cultural centre.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:26:11 AM by Alpo » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2013, 09:43:22 AM »

I'd merge the Church of Constantinople with the Church of Greece and set up a Patriarchate or Metropolinate in Paris who will have jurisdiction over the territories which pre-1054 belonged to the Patriarchate of Rome.

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2013, 10:37:48 AM »

Says who and why?

Sorry, didn't know you were pope, o infallible one.

Besides, the person to whom I responded essentially said there were NO western saints on the EP's calendar

Nope.

What are you "nopeing?"  That there are no Western saints on the EP's calendar or that the person to whom I made reply was incorrect.

+1.  Saints are a local concern first. 

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2013, 10:50:50 AM »

Says who and why?

Sorry, didn't know you were pope, o infallible one.

Cheesy

Come on, this is a discussion forum on internet. We all are representing ourselves here. Lighten up.

Quote from: scamandrius
What are you "nopeing?"  That there are no Western saints on the EP's calendar or that the person to whom I made reply was incorrect.

Nobody said that there are no Western Saints on the EP's calendar.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:51:23 AM by Alpo » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2013, 11:31:57 AM »

I would also release a statement condemning nationalism as it relates to Orthodoxy.
Additionally, of condemn the usage of pews and organs. If the movement to canonize Archbishop Athenagoras moves forward, I'd condemn his approval of organs and publicly condemn freemasonry, while also not interfering with the process.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2013, 11:40:11 AM »

If the movement to canonize Archbishop Athenagoras moves forward,

What?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »

I'd merge the Church of Constantinople with the Church of Greece and set up a Patriarchate or Metropolinate in Paris who will have jurisdiction over the territories which pre-1054 belonged to the Patriarchate of Rome.

Avignon?  Smiley

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2013, 12:17:52 PM »

What's with all the animus about the organs?

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2013, 12:18:17 PM »

What?

Heard the other day on an OCN program (a Sunday homily at a Greek parish) that there are many in the Greek Church seeking to have Archbishop Athenagoras recognized as a Saint.

I just hope they condemn organs and freemasonry before they do so, considering he was a Freemason and he was a large reason that so many Greek parishes here have organs and westernized music.

If he's recognized as a Saint you know there'll be idiots out there saying we have a Saint who preferred organs and wanted Orthodox worship "updated".

He felt Orthodox worship needed to be improved by adding organs and dropping Byzantine Chant in favor of very westernized music (not like Russian Churches, even more western)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:22:55 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2013, 01:02:18 PM »

What?

Heard the other day on an OCN program (a Sunday homily at a Greek parish) that there are many in the Greek Church seeking to have Archbishop Athenagoras recognized as a Saint.

I just hope they condemn organs and freemasonry before they do so, considering he was a Freemason and he was a large reason that so many Greek parishes here have organs and westernized music.
Look, it doesn't affect me one way or another if he WAS a freemason, but I've never actually seen any proof of it despite the many claims put forward by his ecclesial opponents. Do you have it?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2013, 01:21:36 PM »

I would try to encourage getting North and South America under one or two jurisdictions, although I know it is difficult with the various jurisdictions.  Besides that, I would try to somehow work in ice-cream on fasting days. police
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2013, 01:23:11 PM »

I would try to encourage getting North and South America under one or two jurisdictions, although I know it is difficult with the various jurisdictions.  Besides that, I would try to somehow work in ice-cream on fasting days. police

Western Rite.

You put the West under the Western Rite and you can put them under the traditional Latin fasting rules, which are pretty lenient on dairy IIRC.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2013, 01:32:29 PM »

Western Rite.

You put the West under the Western Rite and you can put them under the traditional Latin fasting rules, which are pretty lenient on dairy IIRC.

I'm down for it.  Smiley

Re: organs, why would we have to condemn organs?  Why not just insist on not using instruments of any kind?  I visited a Greek church in a particular diocese where the Metropolitan issued such an order (acc. to the priest there) and it was obeyed.  Why condemn something that doesn't work for us but works just fine for others?  We're always so eager for the nuclear option... 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2013, 01:34:54 PM »

Re: organs, why would we have to condemn organs?  Why not just insist on not using instruments of any kind? 

It's the only instrument used, so "no organ" means "no instruments". Anyway, the Greek word for instrument is organ, so either way it's "no organs" Smiley
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2013, 01:36:35 PM »

Western Rite.

That's horrible. The Byzantine Rite is way better.

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2013, 01:43:13 PM »

What?

Look, it doesn't affect me one way or another if he WAS a freemason, but I've never actually seen any proof of it despite the many claims put forward by his ecclesial opponents. Do you have it?

Are you really asking for proof that someone was a Freemason? You realize that isn't exactly published right?

I received, a while back, information from someone in the Masons that contained a list of some living Orthodox Christians who were active Freemasons, and apparently also held positions in their parishes. I was given the information but also asked not to "out" them, I deleted the information and no longer have it.
It's not like the Freemasons are going to announce members who would face "persecution" for being Freemasons. I think the same would be for someone like Patriarch Athenagoras, whose potential Sainthood could get nixed if the Masons actually came out and acknowledged him as a Freemason. Why would they "out" someone, even posthumously, if they know it would "harm" that person or their memory?
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »

He was listed among "Famous Greek Masons" on the Grand Masonic Lodge of Greece website, among a number of other hierarchs of the late 19th and early 20th century. I can't seem to find the link now, though I know it has been posted on the forum before.

Of course, that's not conclusive "proof" since such a list could be entirely fabricated.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »

Western Rite.

Eh.  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2013, 03:20:31 PM »

Western Rite.

Nonsense.

The Byzantine Rite is ancient and beautiful. But so is the Latin Rite. Moreover, it evolved specifically to speak to the Western soul. In the same way that you wouldn't force Russians to use Greek chant (I hope), now that they've evolved their own, there's no need for a sort of Byzantine chauvinism that tries to deny the West its own patrimony.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2013, 03:31:16 PM »

I'd get an awesome bike.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2013, 03:48:15 PM »

How many fasts have you been through?

Are you really asking for proof that someone was a Freemason? You realize that isn't exactly published right?

By him? There isn't anything.

I can now create a secret society of people who pick up their noses with left hands. And I can start a blog when I can publish you are also a member of that secret society. Would it be a proof?

I received, a while back, information from someone in the Masons that contained a list of some living Orthodox Christians who were active Freemasons, and apparently also held positions in their parishes. I was given the information but also asked not to "out" them, I deleted the information and no longer have it.

LOL

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2013, 03:55:21 PM »

The Byzantine Rite is ancient and beautiful. But so is the Latin Rite. Moreover, it evolved specifically to speak to the Western soul. In the same way that you wouldn't force Russians to use Greek chant (I hope), now that they've evolved their own, there's no need for a sort of Byzantine chauvinism that tries to deny the West its own patrimony.

I find the idea of a 'Western soul' pretty questionable. Mediterraneans, Germans, the French, Brits, Scandinavians are very different, not to mention Americans of various stripes, Australians, Canadians, etc. For example, the idea that a Scandinavian should instinctively respond more favourably to the liturgical tradition of a Spaniard or Italian on the other edge of Europe (who are culturally far more similar to Greeks than to northern Europeans), than to the liturgical tradition of the Russians just across the border, just because of some notion of being "Western" is nonsense.

Yes, the Latin rite will seem more familiar to those Westerners who grew up with it, or rites derived from it, but in many places, certainly in northern Europe, any kind of liturgical rite is utterly alien, and their "Western souls" will be no more receptive to a Latin rite than a Byzantine one.

Znamenny chant is uniquely Russian, and has a much longer history of continuous use in Russia than the modern four-part harmony does. Yet if you would ask an average Russian what s/he's think of returning to Znamenny, most (at least in my experience) would be dead against it. But based on the pro-WR arguments for resurrecting rites used 1000 years ago, the "Russian soul" should prefer Znamenny over Germano-Italian choir music.

Good or bad, the notion that Westerners should follow the Latin liturgical rite is an ideological one.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:14:57 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »

LOL

Do you think I'm lying?

I deleted it, not because of the Orthodox who are Freemasons, they could get excommunicated for all I care. I deleted it because the person who sent it could get in trouble if the info got out beyond myself.

I could even tell you what jurisdiction the majority of them belonged to.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:05:48 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2013, 04:10:18 PM »

LOL

Do you think I'm lying?

Not really. I think you are joking.

I deleted it, not because of the Orthodox who are Freemasons, they could get excommunicated for all I care. I deleted it because the person who sent it could get in trouble if the info got out beyond myself.

Whatever.

Let me guess... New Calendar one? And beardless?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2013, 04:14:59 PM »

LOL

Do you think I'm lying?

Not really. I think you are joking.

Whatever.

Let me guess... New Calendar one? And beardless?

No, I'm not joking.

I'm not referring to some nutjob who believes in conspiracy theories, it is from someone whose been trying to convince me it's fine, and attempted to do so by showing me how many in my church are Freemasons. I don't recall any major clergy being on the list though.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2013, 04:18:28 PM »

I'm not referring to some nutjob who believes in conspiracy theories, it is from someone whose been trying to convince me it's fine, and attempted to do so by showing me how many in my church are Freemasons. I don't recall any major clergy being on the list though.

Are you aware you are not more reliable than them?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2013, 04:20:49 PM »

Are you aware you are not more reliable than them?

I don't really care about convincing you. I've seen it myself, if you want to be in ignorant bliss of the fact that we have Freemasons in our Church then that is your sad choice.

My point is that it isn't unthinkable that Patriarch Athenagoras was a Freemason, and if he, in fact was one, he shouldn't ever be made a Saint. At the same time, asking for solid proof is hilarious considering how many Orthodox Christians hide their membership, and that the Freemasons don't like "outing" their members who will be "punished" for being Freemasons. I'd actually love for them to all be outed, but I wouldn't want to cause the person who leaked such information to be punished.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:24:33 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2013, 05:05:44 PM »

LOL.

When I have more time....

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »

LOL.

When I have more time....

about the thread, or the OT discussion about Freemasonry? lol
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2013, 05:28:58 PM »

My Ukrainian Greek Catholic adviser remarked on this also.

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2013, 05:38:40 PM »

He was listed among "Famous Greek Masons" on the Grand Masonic Lodge of Greece website, among a number of other hierarchs of the late 19th and early 20th century. I can't seem to find the link now, though I know it has been posted on the forum before.

Of course, that's not conclusive "proof" since such a list could be entirely fabricated.

I made a thread about accusations of heirarchs being freemasons because I wished to figure out where all the accusations came from. Through a lot of digging I came to the conclusion freemasonry infultrated the church hierarchy of Greece and Constantinople for a few decades but has since died out

I have tried searching all my posts for the thread, but it appears not to be listed anymore. Maybe it was deleted or something or archived, i do not know how the forum works with old posts. but I will post the evidence for PATRIARCH athenagoras again quickly, although it will take some time

EDIT: that was close!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:01:25 PM by Gunnarr » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »

I made a thread about accusations of heirarchs being freemasons because I wished to figure out where all the accusations came from. Through a lot of digging I came to the conclusion freemasonry infultrated the church hierarchy of Greece and Constantinople for a few decades but has since died out

I have tried searching all my posts for the thread, but it appears not to be listed anymore. Maybe it was deleted or something or archived, i do not know how the forum works with old posts. but I will post the evidence for athenagoras again quickly, although it will take some time

This one?

St. Basil is great!

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2013, 05:47:37 PM »

I have tried searching all my posts for the thread, but it appears not to be listed anymore. Maybe it was deleted or something or archived, i do not know how the forum works with old posts. but I will post the evidence for athenagoras again quickly, although it will take some time

This one?

good job Smiley there it is, you peoples can read all about about masonic blahblahblah

oh, and while you wrote that reply, I found the link to see those claimed to be masons by the Greek Masonics

http://www.grandlodge.gr/el/%CE%9F%CE%A4%CE%B5%CE%BA%CF%84%CE%BF%CE%BD%CE%B9%CF%83%CE%BC%CF%8C%CF%82/%CE%94%CE%B9%CE%B1%CE%BA%CE%B5%CE%BA%CF%81%CE%B9%CE%BC%CE%AD%CE%BD%CE%BF%CE%B9%CE%88%CE%BB%CE%BB%CE%B7%CE%BD%CE%B5%CF%82%CE%A4%CE%AD%CE%BA%CF%84%CE%BF%CE%BD%CE%B5%CF%82.aspx

Patriarch Athenegoras is listed, but they give an asterisk saying that they do not have the files anymore to prove it, although they do have the files to prove it for other hierarchs.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 05:48:14 PM by Gunnarr » Logged

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2013, 05:55:53 PM »

I wonder if Communists have infiltrated the church as well...

then again, i guess living in commune could be seen as a christian thing, sharing and all...

but i keep going off topic!

Now, If I were My All-Holiness, I would probably... oh this will be fun to write... just give me a few days to think and divulge myself in the sin of envy!

pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2013, 08:17:15 PM »

I wonder if how many Communists have infiltrated the church as well...

then again, i guess living in commune could be seen as a christian thing, sharing and all...

but i keep going off topic!

Now, If I were My All-Holiness, I would probably... oh this will be fun to write... just give me a few days to think and divulge myself in the sin of envy!
Fixed that for you.

Tongue
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 08:17:40 PM by pmpn8rGPT » Logged

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2013, 09:12:17 PM »

First of all, I'd probably have on the calendar a feast of the fall of the Soviet Union, and have stikhera and apolytikia written for it by the best hymnographers I could find. Also, would merge OCA with the Greek Archdiocese under a Patriarch of North America, while establishing a new Metropolia in South America. Also, would try to further relations with the OO's, and meanwhile give Poland it's own Metropolia as well, to try and avoid any Polish/Russian tension. Also would work on evangelising Scandanavia, to try and show the Lutherans the true light.  Tongue Granted, none of these are likely to happen seeing as I'm one, not ordained and two, Eastern Catholic; still, a guy can dream of long beards that put Michael Gambon to shame.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2013, 10:58:39 PM »

If you want to find out whether Patriarch Athenagoras is a freemason, you just have to dig him up since they have separate and additional burial rites for freemasons. Allegedly, when Patriarch Melitius Metaxakis died, there was an Orthodox funeral, followed by a freemason funeral.

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2013, 11:23:07 AM »

and meanwhile give Poland it's own Metropolia as well, to try and avoid any Polish/Russian tension.
We have our own Metropolia and we're one of autocephalus Churches.

As I'm woman so my opinion and vision won't be taken into consideration, however that's just an imagination...

1.So, as many of you mentioned, crate truly autocephalus and united one Orthodox Church of both Americas, with possibility in future to create autocephalus Church for Central and South America, but in the beginning not (maybe just autonomy).

2. Think about unifying (and creating autocephalus and/or autonomus Churches) in Western Europe, especially in these areas that have a lot of indigenous converts.

3.Give autocephaly to Ukraine (maybe it would cause some coming back of Greek Catholics, because they're so lost in some way, and eventually they would have their own Ukrainian Church) and Macedonia (but under the condition, that they recognise these bishops, nuns and faithful that they persecute now).

4. Necessarily try to lead to official reunification with OO Churches. We have to be unified to witness Orthodoxy together, that the non-Orthodox see the Power of Orthodoxy, and it's especially needed in Middle East Countries and diaspora (both Americas, also missions in Africa)

5. Encourage in some European contries to use pre-schism western rites. Althoguh personally I prefer eastern (especially byzantine) rites). But only if it make more converts from anglcian and RC Churches. Anyway, byzantine rite would be primary

6. Try to do something with all these "Turkish issues" - Halki, Hagia Sophia... But I know,that's the least probable. But all the above... Not so difficult (at least in my perception) and very necessary

As for calendars, no idea... For sure Paschalion has to be old one, and I know that the calendar should be one,  but taht's not so easy as you know...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:24:25 AM by Dominika » Logged

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2013, 02:58:05 PM »

and meanwhile give Poland it's own Metropolia as well, to try and avoid any Polish/Russian tension.
We have our own Metropolia and we're one of autocephalus Churches.

As I'm woman so my opinion and vision won't be taken into consideration, however that's just an imagination...

1.So, as many of you mentioned, crate truly autocephalus and united one Orthodox Church of both Americas, with possibility in future to create autocephalus Church for Central and South America, but in the beginning not (maybe just autonomy).

2. Think about unifying (and creating autocephalus and/or autonomus Churches) in Western Europe, especially in these areas that have a lot of indigenous converts.

3.Give autocephaly to Ukraine (maybe it would cause some coming back of Greek Catholics, because they're so lost in some way, and eventually they would have their own Ukrainian Church) and Macedonia (but under the condition, that they recognise these bishops, nuns and faithful that they persecute now).

4. Necessarily try to lead to official reunification with OO Churches. We have to be unified to witness Orthodoxy together, that the non-Orthodox see the Power of Orthodoxy, and it's especially needed in Middle East Countries and diaspora (both Americas, also missions in Africa)

5. Encourage in some European contries to use pre-schism western rites. Althoguh personally I prefer eastern (especially byzantine) rites). But only if it make more converts from anglcian and RC Churches. Anyway, byzantine rite would be primary

6. Try to do something with all these "Turkish issues" - Halki, Hagia Sophia... But I know,that's the least probable. But all the above... Not so difficult (at least in my perception) and very necessary

As for calendars, no idea... For sure Paschalion has to be old one, and I know that the calendar should be one,  but taht's not so easy as you know...
For a man's view: I would agree with all of the above, except for 3-it is not within the power of the EP.  Though I would push for it (like in 4, and in a way #1 and 2).

I'd get the calendar in order by having the equinox occur on the equinox.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2013, 02:57:04 AM »

I'd also seek to reunify the Church of Greece with the Patriarchate. I would release my churches in Sweden, Finland, Estonia and any Ukrainian Churches to the Church of Russia, possibly in a deal to bring all North American Churches under my omophor as an autonomous church, and release my churches in South America to Antioch.

Along with this, I'd also back off on Ecumenical efforts with the Roman Catholics, and strengthen/increase Ecumenical efforts with the Oriental Orthodox.

That was literally most of what I was going to say. I would, however, add a few more things.  My order of business would be as follows:
1. I'd begin a massive public-relations campaign in Turkey. The Prime Minister has recently said something along the lines that the 1,100 years of Byzantine rule over Turkey [sic] were some of Turkey's [sic] darkest times. I'd go to the Turkish media to respectfully refute that, and show the people of the Republic that we are not some 5th Columns or subservient to Moscow or any other foreign power. Who knows, maybe this could awake the teachings of Christ within some Turkish people; I would hope so.
2. Next, I’d rally my fellow Bishops in Christ to the cause of reunification with the Oriental Orthodox Churches. I think that that would be incredibly difficult, but I'd try my hardest to convince my equals that Union is possible, beneficial, and part of God’s plan for Christians. At the same time, I'd let any attempts of unification or ecumenical relations with the Catholics fizzle out. I need as many minds as I can get on creating a union that would be satisfactory to God and to His loyal servants. If I could see Union during my days as His All Holiness, then I'd move on to Phase III.
3. I think that it's time to see a proper Patriarch in Kiev. If that can happen, God-willing, I'd like to see defences of Orthodoxy written and easily available for interested Ukrainian Catholics in order to bring them home. This reminds me—the Jehovah’s Witnesses and Protestant missionaries in Athens are really irritating. I think the Church needs to write apologetic-works against each tradition that are going to reduce both sides to taking cheap and untrue shots at us because they don't have any legitimate comebacks.
4. I think it's time to reunite the Church of Greece with the Patriarchate again. The Turkish Republic might be belligerent and problematic, yes, but hey, it's not early-mid 19th Century Ottoman Empire, now is it? The main issue that I see would be the Post WWII land-deal between the Hellenic Kingdom and the Church of Greece that the Hellenic Republic has also adopted. Might we have to release the land to the Republic? I don’t know—I’m not that smart in my current, non-Patriarchal self.
5. I think it's also time to see the celebration of Divine Liturgy in New Greek. I know some bishops argue that translation might be problematic, so I'd need to find a way around any and all problems. One example is that translating "Χαίρε Νύμφη Ανύμφευτε" would be awkward because in New Greek it would be expressed as "rejoice, bride who is not married" instead of “Rejoice, Bride unwedded,” or that "Άρτος and Οίνος" sound better than "Ψωμί & Κρασί." I'd try my hardest to find an accurate translation of all of our ecclesiastical works that satisfies even the most hardliner-critics.
6. After working with Modern Greek, I'd move on to Modern Turkish translations. The Bible, some prayers, and bits of the liturgy have already been translated into Modern Turkish (the Church of Antioch has such a translation of the Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom), so I think that this would be a relatively easy task. Not that "easy" exists in Orthodoxy, but hey, it would be an easier task than uniting two Churches, right?
7. I think that the Church needs to restart orphanages in the City. I would hope to find enough Turkish-speaking Orthodox Christians that can teach small children, and I would not limit teaching positions to monks or clergy. I suppose this would go hand-in-hand with a reinvigoration of the remaining schools of Istanbul. As of now, only Turkish- citizens may attend our schools (like the College of Fanari or the Zografeion Lyceum), and I'm going to take that up with the Turkish Court System or die trying. Hey, if the Church can see a reinvigoration of the school system in Constantinople, why stop there? Why not move onto Smyrna, or Trebizond?
8. It's time for the Rum to come home. Nea Smyrni don’t cut it in my book; I want to see Palaia Smyrni again! Athens needs a population reduction, anyway; that city is not cut out to hold three million people. Likewise, there's no reason that the Bulgarian population of Constantinople and Adrianople need to be left out as well. Likewise, I'd encourage more Russian immigration to Turkey.
9. If the Church has any money left, I'd look into repurchasing land confiscated by the Republic. If I have to agree to a church/museum combination to satisfy Ankara’s politicians, then so be it.
10. If it already hasn't happened already (I'm sure by the time that I'm of age to be the Patriarch, both problems will be solved), I'd try to again rally my fellow Bishops to the cause of uniting the Church in the Americas and Great Britain, both Eastern Riters and Western Riters alike. I'd propose that the religious capital of the Archbishopric be Chicago (what? It's my hometown, cut me some slack), and I’d also encourage missionary work with the urban and rural poor. In the past, some Non-Jurors were interesting in joining the Church, and they proposed that any English Church be a part of the Church of Alexandria. I say so be it—unite all Orthodox Christians in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland (and the Channel Islands) under the Patriarch of Alexandria just as the current Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America is "under" Constantinople. I'd also encourage High Church Anglicans and Methodists (yes, they exist) disenfranchised by their own Church and seen as stuffy relics of a bygone era to join our own Communion, where we'd have a place for them in this new, quasi-Alexandrine Church.
11. After all of this is said and done, I'd probably retire to Halki, or maybe that small church in Kandilli that I'm so fond of. I'd set the stage for my successor to look into union with the Assyrian Church of the East and setting up a missionary programme to Eastern Catholic lands. If I could get just one of these accomplishments done, I'd die a happy priest.

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2013, 05:52:31 AM »

and setting up a missionary programme to Eastern Catholic lands.

Where?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2013, 06:06:52 AM »

5. I think it's also time to see the celebration of Divine Liturgy in New Greek.

Vatican II, the Orthodox edition.

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2013, 06:20:37 AM »

For a man's view: I would agree with all of the above, except for 3-it is not within the power of the EP.  Though I would push for it (like in 4, and in a way #1 and 2).

I'd get the calendar in order by having the equinox occur on the equinox.

Thanks Wink Actually, I think the case of Ukraine is bit similar to Polish one, I mean they could consider EP as the Mother Church. It was the case of Poland, and I know that our Church has very strange of receiving autocephaly, as finally after some year we refused this one given by EP, and took this from MP. As for Macedonia, that's even more complicated, because there are 3 Church that could be considered in some way as Mother Church: Serbian, Bulgarian and EP (maybe for now Church of Greece).

Generally I agree with KostaC (BTW, very nice written), especially with point 6 - it's time to do missionary work among Turks. I only would disagree with point 5 - if a nation has such treasure as a liturgical language, we should preserve and use it

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2013, 08:31:57 AM »

5. I think it's also time to see the celebration of Divine Liturgy in New Greek.

With, I'm sure, removal of parts of the Liturgy deemed unnecessary so people can be in and out in 45 minutes to an hour, including communion.  Better market sure to get input from Protestant "theologians" on how best to do that.  Also, mandate Protestant hymns to be sung with organ accompaniment.

Vatican II did wonders for the RC.  I'm sure the Orthodox version would be just as good.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2013, 08:38:33 AM »

I hope the 2020's won't be as bad for the Greek church as the 1920's.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2013, 09:09:50 AM »

Are you aware of the Venona project and similar materials studied together with the opening of the KGB files in Moscow? Not only most of the people indicated by Macarthy were indeed either spies or informants, but the number of people infiltrated was much higher than previously thought. You can say he was a buffon, but the fact is that he tried to shoot a duck and hit a hidding bear.

Concerning the infiltration of KGB and other Soviet-era agencies in the Orthodox Church, it is to our great shame that the Church has not dealt with that in an orderly and honorable fashion. Those who were forced to contribute to the regime should publically apologize, those who did so voluntarily should be condemned. I suspect that hasn't happened for the simple reason that unlike the Nazis, the KGB never left power - as we can see with Putin. It just chaged its name to FSB and continued with business as usual.

It doesn't mean the Church is a docile puppet in the hands of national interests. But it does mean that we are allowing a great evil to be perpetuated under the pretense of "forgiveness". I'm sure the CIA also has agents on major American churches, the same for MI6 and every national intelligence service. That's what intelligence agencies are supposed to do. But that's not an excuse for the Orthodox Church not to out those who tried to control her and use the face of Christ to advance petty ideological and financial interests.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:13:10 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2013, 09:46:47 AM »

Well one friend of mine was with Special Branch (originally the Special Irish Branch) and told me, without going into any detail, that they used keep the MP's Ennismore Gardens Cathedral in London under regular watch. The original Soviet strategy was to destroy outright the Orthodox Church, then the strategy altered to one of compromising it from within. Targets included both the Church within the Soviet Union and the diaspora, including ROCOR. And in the case of the last didn't their seeds bear fruit.

I am no admirer of McCarthy or his methodology, but neither do I chose to live in denial. Nor do I believe others in the West have not sought to exercise influence on our Church, for purely political ends. As for freemasonry I don't what it's reach is or isn't, but do know membership is incompatible with Christian Orthodoxy.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2013, 10:13:42 AM »

That was literally most of what I was going to say. I would, however, add a few more things.  My order of business would be as follows:
1. I'd begin a massive public-relations campaign in Turkey. The Prime Minister has recently said something along the lines that the 1,100 years of Byzantine rule over Turkey [sic] were some of Turkey's [sic] darkest times. I'd go to the Turkish media to respectfully refute that, and show the people of the Republic that we are not some 5th Columns or subservient to Moscow or any other foreign power. Who knows, maybe this could awake the teachings of Christ within some Turkish people; I would hope so.

Waste of time. The Turkish media is a state run operation.  And the AKP has control. THey're not going to let the Orthodox say "their side of the story."  They want the Orthodox exterminated or removed so that Turkey can become an Islamic Republic like Iran.

2. Next, I’d rally my fellow Bishops in Christ to the cause of reunification with the Oriental Orthodox Churches. I think that that would be incredibly difficult, but I'd try my hardest to convince my equals that Union is possible, beneficial, and part of God’s plan for Christians. At the same time, I'd let any attempts of unification or ecumenical relations with the Catholics fizzle out. I need as many minds as I can get on creating a union that would be satisfactory to God and to His loyal servants. If I could see Union during my days as His All Holiness, then I'd move on to Phase III.

To be honest, I think that the EP has lagged behind the efforts of the Churches or Jerusalem and Antioch.  Even if I don't agree that it is not proper to commune OOs in EO churches, a lot of that IS happening.  The EP, rightly IMHO, has not jumped in with both feet trying to be cautious, but reaching out first to Jerusalem and Antioch to get them all on the same page would be helpful.

4. I think it's time to reunite the Church of Greece with the Patriarchate again. The Turkish Republic might be belligerent and problematic, yes, but hey, it's not early-mid 19th Century Ottoman Empire, now is it? The main issue that I see would be the Post WWII land-deal between the Hellenic Kingdom and the Church of Greece that the Hellenic Republic has also adopted. Might we have to release the land to the Republic? I don’t know—I’m not that smart in my current, non-Patriarchal self.

Not going to happen.

5. I think it's also time to see the celebration of Divine Liturgy in New Greek. I know some bishops argue that translation might be problematic, so I'd need to find a way around any and all problems. One example is that translating "Χαίρε Νύμφη Ανύμφευτε" would be awkward because in New Greek it would be expressed as "rejoice, bride who is not married" instead of “Rejoice, Bride unwedded,” or that "Άρτος and Οίνος" sound better than "Ψωμί & Κρασί." I'd try my hardest to find an accurate translation of all of our ecclesiastical works that satisfies even the most hardliner-critics.

SHouldn't happen.  I think there should be a difference in the way we pray versus the way we converse in daily life.  If the church is a countercultural institution, then the church should not be a place where we do things in the world.  I know that sounds arcane.

6. After working with Modern Greek, I'd move on to Modern Turkish translations. The Bible, some prayers, and bits of the liturgy have already been translated into Modern Turkish (the Church of Antioch has such a translation of the Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom), so I think that this would be a relatively easy task. Not that "easy" exists in Orthodoxy, but hey, it would be an easier task than uniting two Churches, right?

I'm surprised that nothing like this has been done, but when you consider that the ORthodox population of Istanbul is around only 3000, maybe this would seem to be a waste of time. Turks don't seem that interested in converting.

7. I think that the Church needs to restart orphanages in the City. I would hope to find enough Turkish-speaking Orthodox Christians that can teach small children, and I would not limit teaching positions to monks or clergy. I suppose this would go hand-in-hand with a reinvigoration of the remaining schools of Istanbul. As of now, only Turkish- citizens may attend our schools (like the College of Fanari or the Zografeion Lyceum), and I'm going to take that up with the Turkish Court System or die trying. Hey, if the Church can see a reinvigoration of the school system in Constantinople, why stop there? Why not move onto Smyrna, or Trebizond?

They can't. Not with the restrictions placed on them since the days of hte Ottoman Empire.  They can't even have a seminary. You think the Islamic Turks are going to allow orphanages where the possibility exists of children being taught the Christian faith?  It won't happen.

Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »

If Orthodox missionaries were to even begin work in Turkey they would not survive long. The state could not afford to tolerate them and various Islamist groups would act bloodily.

A British kissed a Turkish girl in Marmaris last week, he was stripped and repeatedly stabbed before being left for dead. Fortunately he has survived. Missionaries? They wouldn't survive and possibly not too many of the other Christians in Turkey either.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2013, 10:39:51 AM »

There are actually a number of Turkish Orthodox in Turkey.  However, they are under Antioch and not Constantinople.

If Orthodox missionaries were to even begin work in Turkey they would not survive long. The state could not afford to tolerate them and various Islamist groups would act bloodily.

A British kissed a Turkish girl in Marmaris last week, he was stripped and repeatedly stabbed before being left for dead. Fortunately he has survived. Missionaries? They wouldn't survive and possibly not too many of the other Christians in Turkey either.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2013, 11:36:59 AM »

How many fasts have you been through?

I suppose that the Calvinists have the best liturgy since they do not have obligatory fasts.

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2013, 11:55:54 AM »

I would anathemize the Russian Orthodox Church just to spice things up a bit.  Nothing gets the juices going like a good anathema.  Grin

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2013, 11:59:16 AM »

While the issue of autocephaly may not be clear (actually it is, but de facto vs. de jure is a detraction from this thread), one thing that is clear is that no one has become a patriarchate without Constantinople's approval. 

Please correct me if I am wrong here: If by "patriarchate" one means the head of a local church, I would think that the heads of Antioch, Alexandria, Jerusalem, Georgia, etc..  did not need Constantinople's approval.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2013, 12:35:43 PM »

To be honest, I think that the EP has lagged behind the efforts of the Churches or Jerusalem and Antioch.  Even if I don't agree that it is not proper to commune OOs in EO churches, a lot of that IS happening.  The EP, rightly IMHO, has not jumped in with both feet trying to be cautious, but reaching out first to Jerusalem and Antioch to get them all on the same page would be helpful.

Did you mean Alexandria?

AFAIR, the only one relations between the Church Jerusalem and OOs is when they slam each other with brooms.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2013, 01:39:41 PM »

And I would make firm and unequivocal pro-life and pro-marriage statements. That would include a reafirmation that the Orthodox Church does *not* condone or approves of divorce.

It is just seem as a lesser evil in face of some great aberrations that can occur under the false guise of marriage, like domestic violence where an abuser uses the social and religious ties of marriage not to create a family or to walk together toward God but as a bait to further dominate the victim.

As part of the marriage campaign, I would also support the concept of "education for love" above "sexual education". It would seek to reconquer the value of the healthy path for sexual love, from non-intercourse dating to raising your children as continuum of sexual love.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2013, 03:19:10 PM »

3. I think that it's time to see a proper Patriarch in Kiev. If that can happen, God-willing, I'd like to see defences of Orthodoxy written and easily available for interested Ukrainian Catholics in order to bring them home. This reminds me—the Jehovah’s Witnesses and Protestant missionaries in Athens are really irritating. I think the Church needs to write apologetic-works against each tradition that are going to reduce both sides to taking cheap and untrue shots at us because they don't have any legitimate comebacks.

Is it really easier to overcome a sixteen century schism than it is to set up a proper patriarchate in Ukraine? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlpBO3L6UJo

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2013, 08:00:55 PM »

In all honesty, resign.  I am not the person for that kind of job.  I think the current one is doing a pretty well. 
Father H
Archon

« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2013, 08:16:18 PM »

Please correct me if I am wrong here: If by "patriarchate" one means the head of a local church, I would think that the heads of Antioch, Alexandria, Jerusalem, Georgia, etc..  did not need Constantinople's approval.

Hi Carl.  Yes, of course you are right from the point of view that from Nicea the first mentioned were local churchs.  They did not, however, become Patriarchates without Constantinople (the 5th Council is the first to mention them as such by a collective title as distinctive supra-eparchies).  Georgia was indisputably granted by Constantinople (if we are talking about the first time around...the argument from the second time around was that Moscow wrongly deprived it so Moscow rightly could restore it).  Constantinople's delay in commemorating Georgia's restoration was not because it didn't see her as such, but because it did not wish to agitate the Soviet Union to the peril of the faithful in Georgia. 
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: Catholic (Carmelite wannabe)
Jurisdiction: The Bishop of Raleigh

which way's mt. carmel again???

« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2013, 05:11:45 PM »

Write a lot of letters and make some speeches...everything I can think of needs a pan-Orthodox council to resolve and it may not even go my way  Tongue

St. Justin Martyr, St. John Cassian, St. Simon Stock, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, pray for me!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2013, 05:49:11 PM »

Hi Carl.  Yes, of course you are right from the point of view that from Nicea the first mentioned were local churchs.  They did not, however, become Patriarchates without Constantinople (the 5th Council is the first to mention them as such by a collective title as distinctive supra-eparchies).  Georgia was indisputably granted by Constantinople (if we are talking about the first time around...the argument from the second time around was that Moscow wrongly deprived it so Moscow rightly could restore it).  Constantinople's delay in commemorating Georgia's restoration was not because it didn't see her as such, but because it did not wish to agitate the Soviet Union to the peril of the faithful in Georgia. 

Dear Father--I had thought that Georgia was granted her autocephaly by Antioch in the 8th Century, although it is a fact that Western parts of Georgia (Colchis) were under Constantinople until they themselves joined the main body in the 9th Century. Also, I had not listed Cyprus (autocephaly confirmed and Antioch's claims rejected by an ecumenical council) or Armenia (which was one of us and thoroughly autocephalous started prior to Chalcedon).

My point is that it is erroneous to claim that Constantinople has an exclusive right to grant autocephaly or the status of patriarchate. Indeed, she seems to have backed off from this position, at least a little bit, when she agreed to the route to future autocephalies: the mother church would grant autocephaly, while the Phanar would coordinate the recognition by the other local churches as befits the first among equals. Of course, this reasonable approach is somewhat contradicted by her novel interpretation of Canon 28. On a related note, I cannot understand the distinction between the several titles for the heads of the local autocephalous churches. Since in the Ignatian model a diocese headed by a bishop (surrounded by his priests, deacons and laity) is ontologically complete, and the Apostolic canons do not address anything more than the metropolitan bishop of a Roman province/nation, I wonder if further distinctions are helpful. Of the 15 autocephalous churches, there are seven patriarchs, one pope/patriarch, one catholicos/patriarch, three archbishops, and three metropolitans. When push comes to shove, they are the "metropolitan" of Apostolic Canon 34.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2013, 11:03:01 PM »

I thought the first autocephaly for Georgia came from Antioch, as Georgia wasn't in the Constantinopolitan jurisdiction.

Father H
Archon

« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2013, 01:04:21 AM »

^Well, only since you guys brought it up ...    Smiley

As you will see in my book (now in process of publication) on such subjects, what we now would call "east Georgia" no longer wanted to be under Antioch.  They appealed to Constantinople.  Constantinople put pressure on Antioch.  The Patriarchate of Antioch granted said autocephaly (in response to the official written request of Constantinople) in 466, an act recognized by the resident Synod of Constantinople in the same year, 466.   Again, read my statement as it is written (not as you first interpreted it). 
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2013, 04:33:40 PM »

There are actually a number of Turkish Orthodox in Turkey.  However, they are under Antioch and not Constantinople.

The people who take care of the churches in Constantinople are by and large Antiochians. There are more Antiochians than Greeks (at least openly) in Turkey.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2013, 04:35:30 PM »

^Well, only since you guys brought it up ...    Smiley

As you will see in my book (now in process of publication) on such subjects, what we now would call "east Georgia" no longer wanted to be under Antioch.  They appealed to Constantinople.  Constantinople put pressure on Antioch.  The Patriarchate of Antioch granted said autocephaly (in response to the official written request of Constantinople) in 466, an act recognized by the resident Synod of Constantinople in the same year, 466.   Again, read my statement as it is written (not as you first interpreted it). 

Have the documents survived or are they referenced later? This is interesting.

Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2013, 05:21:43 PM »

Resign.

Thank you.
KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2013, 09:50:35 PM »

Waste of time. The Turkish media is a state run operation.  And the AKP has control. THey're not going to let the Orthodox say "their side of the story."  They want the Orthodox exterminated or removed so that Turkey can become an Islamic Republic like Iran.

Not going to happen.

I'm surprised that nothing like this has been done, but when you consider that the ORthodox population of Istanbul is around only 3000, maybe this would seem to be a waste of time. Turks don't seem that interested in converting.

They can't. Not with the restrictions placed on them since the days of hte Ottoman Empire.  They can't even have a seminary. You think the Islamic Turks are going to allow orphanages where the possibility exists of children being taught the Christian faith?  It won't happen.

Well, seems like I'm late to the party. Where do I start when I'm fighting on all fronts here?

With, I'm sure, removal of parts of the Liturgy deemed unnecessary so people can be in and out in 45 minutes to an hour, including communion.  Better market sure to get input from Protestant "theologians" on how best to do that.  Also, mandate Protestant hymns to be sung with organ accompaniment.

Vatican II did wonders for the RC.  I'm sure the Orthodox version would be just as good.

SHouldn't happen.  I think there should be a difference in the way we pray versus the way we converse in daily life.  If the church is a countercultural institution, then the church should not be a place where we do things in the world.  I know that sounds arcane.

You're both throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Why does translation equal desecration in your minds? We're not changing anything, we're updating it. How do you not think that you're spitting on all that Saints Cyril and Methodius fought for when you say that updating the language of our liturgies is heresy? Did Christ preach in an outdated, liturgical Hebrew? No, He preached in contemporary Aramaic so that His people could understand him. When the liturgies were composed, why were they not composed in Archaic Greek to keep things countercultural, why did the Church Fathers use their own vernacular? Keeping our liturgies in a language we can't understand isn't being countercultural; it's being being belligerent. We the faithful have a right to understand the words of the Saints and the consecration of the Body and Blood, not just sitting there to be left to daydream or frantically try to learn Koine Greek. What you're saying doesn't sound arcane, it sounds pointless. Why don't you tell Christ in your prayers tonight that he wasn't being countercultural enough? What about languages that have modern translations, like English; should we revert the English translations to Anglo-Saxon to be countercultural enough?

Waste of time. The Turkish media is a state run operation.  And the AKP has control. THey're not going to let the Orthodox say "their side of the story."  They want the Orthodox exterminated or removed so that Turkey can become an Islamic Republic like Iran.

They can't. Not with the restrictions placed on them since the days of hte Ottoman Empire.  They can't even have a seminary. You think the Islamic Turks are going to allow orphanages where the possibility exists of children being taught the Christian faith?  It won't happen.

Ooh, arguing why the Turkish people aren't one-dimensional bogeymen, this is going to be fun.

First, I'd just like to point out that a translation of the Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom into Modern Turkish has been done already, by the Patriarchate of Antioch. That would make missionary work a lot easier. Ask, and ye shall receive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL8uBEpxHkc Would you care to argue with the Patriarchate of Antioch that authorised this celebration?

Second, the AKP is not going to be in power forever. Have not the events in Taksim shown you that Prime Minister Erdoğan's grip over Turkey is tentative. His time ruling is nearly done, and the future looks bright. By the time I would be even remotely eligible to be a Patriarch, which would be decades from now, Turkey is going to be incredibly different.

First, I refute that just because one tourist was killed, the entire country is made up of radical Muslims. Never once when I visited Turkey did I hide who I was. When I worked in a cemetery in Kandilli, a part of Skoutari, itself a part of Constantinople, we kept the doors open. Did anyone go in and shoot up the cemetery? Did anyone in a hijab/tesettür or taqiyah come to accost us? No, all we got were curious and awkward yuppies out on their morning jog come to the door to watch what we were doing in a graveyard.

And who exactly said that missionary work was safe? How many missionaries became martyrs throughout our Church's history? Did the Boxer Rebellion's massacre of China's Orthodox Christians discourage us? No, no it didn't. Did we stop taking in Muslim converts in the times of the Ottoman Empire when it actually was legal to execute apostates to Islam? No, no we did not. If no one here is willing to give up their life to spread the Gospel to Turkey, that's fine. But someday, there will be someone willing to bear that cross, and the Church will be there to aid in his or her endeavours. You all should be ashamed of yourselves for saying that missionary work is scary and dangerous; of course it's scary, but that has never stopped anyone, is not stopping anyone currently, nor will it ever stopped those called by Christ.

To be honest, I think that the EP has lagged behind the efforts of the Churches or Jerusalem and Antioch.  Even if I don't agree that it is not proper to commune OOs in EO churches, a lot of that IS happening.  The EP, rightly IMHO, has not jumped in with both feet trying to be cautious, but reaching out first to Jerusalem and Antioch to get them all on the same page would be helpful.

Where is shared communion happening? I'd like to see a source on that before I say anything about it.

Where?

You're Belarusian, from eastern Poland, and you're going to ask what lands I consider to be Eastern Catholic? How many Orthodox Christians survived in Slovakia, or in Galicia?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:53:28 PM by KostaC » Logged

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2013, 10:56:19 PM »

Resign.

You don't have to sign with them again, it's a lifetime contract Smiley

St. Basil is great!

CopticDeacon
ψάλτης (Psaltis) in the God-loving Diocese of NY and New England
Warned
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Abba Pachom, Pray for us!

« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2014, 12:29:46 AM »

I'd call for an ecumenical council (but not really because Rome is absent) of EO and OO lasting 33 days preceded by a week of fasting by the faithful. All patriarchs and metropolitans present. Bishops will attend as well as some priests and deacons. We'd all sit down like civilized beings and figure this out by the grace of God. Then we'd began a 7 year plan of 14 conferences (2 a year) between the OHCA Orthodox (complete) church and the Roman Church. We'd start by having them kick out all the protestant nonsense, put the pre Vatican II liturgy back in place but in the vernacular, fix their collars and put them in black cassocks, then we'd get to brass tax. (infallibility, immaculate conception etc.) Beards will be the finishing touch. Then I'd work with the Pope of Alexandria on re-orthodox-ization of Egypt and reviving the Coptic Language. Then we clean up the Old/True Orthodox schismatics. Build a Cathedral the size of a football field and have the most epic Con-celebrated Patriarchal Pascha Liturgy IN THE WORLD.
Then we go home for turkish coffee and baklava and call it a day.

By the way that liturgy would last roughly 7 hours if we take hymns from each Rite. and the Prosphora would have to be roughly 4 feet in diameter. I'm not sure how much wine we would need.... that will be calculated after we have the count of those in attendance.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:37:07 AM by CopticDeacon » Logged

An Elder said "After one enters a perfume shop, upon leaving he will still smell of fragrant scents, even if he hasn't bought perfume. The same goes for one who spends time with holy men.  He will take upon the spiritual fragrance of their virtue."
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Annie Och

« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2014, 12:55:17 AM »

By the way that liturgy would last roughly 7 hours if we take hymns from each Rite. and the Prosphora would have to be roughly 4 feet in diameter. I'm not sure how much wine we would need.... that will be calculated after we have the count of those in attendance.

I can already imagine the group of muscular Russians holding that massive chalice.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
CopticDeacon
ψάλτης (Psaltis) in the God-loving Diocese of NY and New England
Warned
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Abba Pachom, Pray for us!

« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2014, 01:03:39 AM »

Awesome picture!

Qualifications before being allowed to distribute at that liturgy are as follows: must be a part of the orthodox clergy. Must have been in the military, a lumberjack, body builder or rugby player prior to ordination. Bench pressing 400 will satisfy the previous requirement. Beard must be a minimum of 2 feet long. Must be a member of the ecumenical gym.

Another part of our perfect orthodoxy as agreed in the council: no shoes in the altar or while receiving any sacrament. I love that practice.

An Elder said "After one enters a perfume shop, upon leaving he will still smell of fragrant scents, even if he hasn't bought perfume. The same goes for one who spends time with holy men.  He will take upon the spiritual fragrance of their virtue."
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: