OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 12:13:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A couple questions for Serbians  (Read 332 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 05, 2013, 02:15:24 PM »

I've spoken to some Serbians at my church, and I'm a bit confused about a few things they reference to.

A couple of the older Serbians refer to "the war" that they or brothers fought in long ago (many of them later moved here and joined the US military after serving in Yugoslavia), I don't think they are old enough to have served in World War II, but I'm not sure what the actual "war" they are referring to.

Also, I've heard them refer to "the split", almost as though the Serbian Church itself, or a branch of it in America had split at some point. What are they referring to?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »

Also, I've heard them refer to "the split", almost as though the Serbian Church itself, or a branch of it in America had split at some point. What are they referring to?

New Gracanica?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 02:40:55 PM »

New Gracanica?

What happened with New Gracanica? All I know it's an incredibly beautiful church in Chicago and it serves as a monastery and the center of the diocese.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:42:08 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 02:44:06 PM »

New Gracanica?

What happened with New Gracanica? All I know it's an incredibly beautiful church in Chicago and it serves as a monastery and the center of the diocese.

AFAIR there was a ROCOR-like schism centered there that was put to end in 1994 or 97 or something

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 09:08:41 PM »

As Michal said Serbs had their own ROCOR but it was a bit different ...Some Serbs (some of whom I had a pleasure of meeting) were quite young when they joined the army...as young as 16 years old...it was either that or you were to be killed by the enemy soldier...individuals you met very likely refer to WWII.  Yugoslav royal army (mainly composed of Serbs) later called "Chetniks" were pro-western oriented and after they "technically" lost the (political) war  even thought they were fighting with the Allies...most of them emigrated.  They built churches as the one you saw...btw Gracanica is supposed to be a replica of the original Gracanica in the current territory of Kosovo...After the end of the WWII some Serbs were ok with being under spiritual and jurisdictional "guidance" of Belgrade Patriarchate which they considered to be controlled by the Communists...that lead some Serbs create a diocese independent from Belgrade...Long story short, that issue was overcome in 1990s (I believe) with +Patriarch Pavle coming over and resolving the conflict...There is a good book called "The History of the Serbian Orthodox Church by Paul Pavlovich...but ask if you have other questions...
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 09:35:10 PM »

As Michal said Serbs had their own ROCOR but it was a bit different ...Some Serbs (some of whom I had a pleasure of meeting) were quite young when they joined the army...as young as 16 years old...it was either that or you were to be killed by the enemy soldier...individuals you met very likely refer to WWII.  Yugoslav royal army (mainly composed of Serbs) later called "Chetniks" were pro-western oriented and after they "technically" lost the (political) war  even thought they were fighting with the Allies...most of them emigrated.  They built churches as the one you saw...btw Gracanica is supposed to be a replica of the original Gracanica in the current territory of Kosovo...After the end of the WWII some Serbs were ok with being under spiritual and jurisdictional "guidance" of Belgrade Patriarchate which they considered to be controlled by the Communists...that lead some Serbs create a diocese independent from Belgrade...Long story short, that issue was overcome in 1990s (I believe) with +Patriarch Pavle coming over and resolving the conflict...There is a good book called "The History of the Serbian Orthodox Church by Paul Pavlovich...but ask if you have other questions...

I vaguely remember, in the 1970s none of the rest of us in the USA never quite knew which Serbian group  or priest  was canonical and which and who was not. I thought it was settled earlier than the 90s though...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:35:52 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 09:46:39 PM »

The schism, IIRC, lasted from about 1961-91. It had to do with the Serbian Orthodox Church having to register with the Yugoslav State or some such business. The Free Serbian Church was quite small and not in communion with any other Orthodox church. ROCOR was in communion with the Serbian Patriarchate.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 10:09:14 PM »

The split officially started in 1963 with dethroning of Bishop Dionisije...and it was overcome in 1992.
Text in Serbian - http://pravoslavlje.spc.rs/broj/1055/tekst/novo-srpsko-jedinstvo/print/lat

I remember watching on Youtube Patriarch Pavle's visit (liturgy was served...) comments were in English...if I find it again, I will post it.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 10:32:12 PM »

The split officially started in 1963 with dethroning of Bishop Dionisije...and it was overcome in 1992.
Text in Serbian - http://pravoslavlje.spc.rs/broj/1055/tekst/novo-srpsko-jedinstvo/print/lat

I remember watching on Youtube Patriarch Pavle's visit (liturgy was served...) comments were in English...if I find it again, I will post it.

Aha. Thanks.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: