OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 03:42:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vatican to canonize two Popes  (Read 3959 times) Average Rating: 0
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2013, 09:42:47 PM »

Santagranddad, #1Sinner, and Alpo,

I'm possibly going to regret getting my fingerprints on this trainwreck of a conversation, but I'll keep it short:
- The Muslims-don't-believe-God-is-triune-so-they-don't-worship-the-same-God-we-do argument doesn't work. (Do anyone seriously believe that every person in the Old Testament who didn't believe God is triune, didn't worship the same God we do?)
- However, it doesn't necessarily follow that Muslims do worship the same God we do.

It does work if you follow the teaching of Orthodoxy. But enough I'm too hot and uncomfortable to pursue a profitless debate. Best wishes.

The people in the Old Testament did in fact worship the Holy Trinity in that they worshiped God as He had revealed Himself. When the Trinity was revealed, the Jews rejected the Son and the Holy Spirit, thereby rejecting God and departing from Him.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2013, 09:43:31 PM »

There is no official Orthodox approval of contraception and the concept of oikonomia predates the Great Schism.

Not to mention that the most common methods of artificial birth control postdate the holy fathers.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »

Tie-dye vestments are back. A sad day.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2013, 11:43:34 PM »

Did Francis of Assisi approve of boat-altars?

I have no idea, and neither do you. Cool

Also, it's my understanding that the Orthodox (at least the Netodox I've encountered here) don't even consider him a saint anyway, so would it even matter?  Roll Eyes

To the extent that Francis of Assisi is a saint for the RCC, I think it does matter what he taught about liturgy when RC's bring him up as an example of "low" liturgical sensibilities, as happened in this thread.  When it comes to what the Orthodox teach about liturgy, he's not a source I'd cite, though I think he'd have more in common with the Orthodox than with some modern RC schools of thought.  That said, I'm not about to vilify him as some deluded heretic...personally, I think, in his "delusion", he's holier than I'll likely ever be.  It's simply a fact that he wasn't a member of the Orthodox Church while he lived on earth...it need not be a judgement, though many do make it out to be such.

Regarding Francis of Assisi and liturgy, the excerpts I've read from Augustine Thompson's biography of the saint lead me to conclude that Francis would probably agree with me about boat-altars.  After all, this was the man who created the Nativity scene, doing so with live animals, but he didn't have them march in the procession at Midnight Mass.  Tongue   

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2013, 09:00:10 AM »

I really have nothing to add to this discussion but I came across this picture today via a blog I frequent and it reminded me of this thread, particularly the picture of Pope Francis and the ark altar.  In short, these things are not new.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2013, 10:03:56 AM »

I'm possibly going to regret getting my fingerprints on this trainwreck of a conversation, but I'll keep it short:
- The Muslims-don't-believe-God-is-triune-so-they-don't-worship-the-same-God-we-do argument doesn't work. (Do anyone seriously believe that every person in the Old Testament who didn't believe God is triune, didn't worship the same God we do?)
- However, it doesn't necessarily follow that Muslims do worship the same God we do.

It does work if you follow the teaching of Orthodoxy. But enough I'm too hot and uncomfortable to pursue a profitless debate. Best wishes.

The people in the Old Testament did in fact worship the Holy Trinity in that they worshiped God as He had revealed Himself. When the Trinity was revealed, the Jews rejected the Son and the Holy Spirit, thereby rejecting God and departing from Him.

Wasn't the Trinity revealed in Genesis 1?

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2013, 10:21:58 AM »

Was it? Not very explicitly.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2013, 10:33:16 AM »

"And the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters." and "Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness""
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:34:22 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
#1Sinner
Moderated

Jurisdiction: Rome

« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »

The Hebrew word Elohim used in Genesis 1 denotes plurality. It really is striking that this word was used rather then any number of other Hebrew words for God.

I hereby recant of defending "orthodoxy" and trying to persuade fellow Catholics of embracing schism. I adhere to the Catholic Faith as preserved by the Church of Rome and Her Pontiffs.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2013, 11:39:35 AM »

Aw, come on, I just stormed out of another thread about Genesis, do I have to do that here too? I still haven't had my coffee.  police

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
#1Sinner
Moderated

« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2013, 12:00:35 PM »

Aw, come on, I just stormed out of another thread about Genesis, do I have to do that here too? I still haven't had my coffee.  police

Not at all. This thread is also about contraception and Vatican canonizations. There's something for everybody  Grin

I hereby recant of defending "orthodoxy" and trying to persuade fellow Catholics of embracing schism. I adhere to the Catholic Faith as preserved by the Church of Rome and Her Pontiffs.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2013, 12:05:42 PM »

Sure, it doesn't say "Then the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit said 'Let us make man in our image...'".  But you have God creating everything through his Word (he utters things into existence out of nothing), and the Spirit is there hovering, brooding, over the primordial waters.

When we speak, air (our breath) has to hit the vocal cords in order to produce the voice, with which we speak.  So breath (Spirit) is always working with voice (Word) when the speaker (Father) speaks.  I forget where I read that or who said it, but I always liked that image.  

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2013, 12:07:10 PM »

Sure, it doesn't say "Then the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit said 'Let us make man in our image...'".  But you have God creating everything through his Word (he utters things into existence out of nothing), and the Spirit is there hovering, brooding, over the primordial waters.

When we speak, air (our breath) has to hit the vocal cords in order to produce the voice, with which we speak.  So breath (Spirit) is always working with voice (Word) when the speaker (Father) speaks.  I forget where I read that or who said it, but I always liked that image.  
OK, then why did the Hebrews of the Old Testament never explicitly talk about the Trinity?

#1Sinner
Moderated

« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2013, 12:10:31 PM »

OK, then why did the Hebrews of the Old Testament never explicitly talk about the Trinity?

There were hints and clues as to the nature of the Godhead in the OT. Obviously things became clear in the NT. Why did they crucify the Messiah when it should have been obvious that our Lord was He whom the prophets spoke of in the OT?

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2013, 12:17:55 PM »

There were hints and clues as to the nature of the Godhead in the OT. Obviously things became clear in the NT. Why did they crucify the Messiah when it should have been obvious that our Lord was He whom the prophets spoke of in the OT?
There may have been hints in the Old Testament, but that doesn't mean it was explicit. In fact, even the Church Fathers' understanding of the Trinity developed over time.

#1Sinner
Moderated

« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2013, 12:45:50 PM »

There may have been hints in the Old Testament, but that doesn't mean it was explicit. In fact, even the Church Fathers' understanding of the Trinity developed over time.

I didn't say it was explicit. Why does it have to be? We accept the Temple sacrifices as prefiguring Christ's sacrifice, the OT priesthood prefiguring the NT priesthood, the Brazen Serpent and the spotless passover lamb as prefiguring our Lord. I would say that the Fathers' understanding wasn't what developed as much as the language needed to clarify and exclude error developed. The first several articles of the Creed formulated at Nicea were based off of an already used prayer used during the rite of Baptism. So we see the doctrine was believed but after Christianity became not only legal but the official religion of the Empire, refinement and clarification was needed in order to exclude error.

Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

Faith: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman Rite
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria, South Africa

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »

This is a truth many people seem to forget.

\"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.\" - Padre Pio<br /><br />\"He inquired whether he agreed with the Catholic bishops, that is
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2013, 03:31:18 PM »

They never explicitly talked about Jesus either.  So? 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2013, 03:33:14 PM »

Well, for one, Jesus didn't exist.  He would have been the Pre-Incarnate Word  Wink

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »

My point is that to claim that the Old Testament teaches the doctrine of the Holy Trinity is a bit absurd. Can we say there were hints and prefigures? Certainly, but did the authors even understand the text in that way?

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2013, 04:09:39 PM »

My point is that to claim that the Old Testament teaches the doctrine of the Holy Trinity is a bit absurd. Can we say there were hints and prefigures? Certainly, but did the authors even understand the text in that way?

Well, I agree that the OT authors probably did not understand the text in that way.  But surely it is a leap of Judaic proportions to conclude that the OT does not teach the doctrine of the Trinity. 

In Acts 2.14ff, St Peter cites the prophecy of Joel to explain what was happening before the Jewish people on Pentecost.  Did the prophet make his prophecy explicitly knowing and teaching that it referred to the descent of the Holy Spirit on the apostles of the second Person of the Holy Trinity in the upper room of the house of Mark in Jerusalem during the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea?  Probably not.  But that doesn't stop St Peter from saying this was definitely what Joel was talking about. 

As Christians, and especially as Orthodox (and RC's too, I should think), we ought not make too much of a dichotomy between the OT and the NT, as if they're two separate things.  They are to the Jews, but we're not Jewish for a reason.  In the light of Christ, we can see and understand the true meaning of the OT Scriptures and what they were teaching all along.  In Christ, as St Paul teaches, the veil is removed (cf. II Cor. 3.12-18).  There's no need to put it back on.   

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2013, 05:58:53 PM »

Well, I agree that the OT authors probably did not understand the text in that way.  But surely it is a leap of Judaic proportions to conclude that the OT does not teach the doctrine of the Trinity. 

In Acts 2.14ff, St Peter cites the prophecy of Joel to explain what was happening before the Jewish people on Pentecost.  Did the prophet make his prophecy explicitly knowing and teaching that it referred to the descent of the Holy Spirit on the apostles of the second Person of the Holy Trinity in the upper room of the house of Mark in Jerusalem during the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea?  Probably not.  But that doesn't stop St Peter from saying this was definitely what Joel was talking about. 

As Christians, and especially as Orthodox (and RC's too, I should think), we ought not make too much of a dichotomy between the OT and the NT, as if they're two separate things.  They are to the Jews, but we're not Jewish for a reason.  In the light of Christ, we can see and understand the true meaning of the OT Scriptures and what they were teaching all along.  In Christ, as St Paul teaches, the veil is removed (cf. II Cor. 3.12-18).  There's no need to put it back on.   
Well, I agree with you that the Triune God is there in the Old Testament, but we need to keep in mind that we only see that in light of the Revelation of Christ.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2013, 06:27:04 PM »

Well, I agree with you that the Triune God is there in the Old Testament, but we need to keep in mind that we only see that in light of the Revelation of Christ.

Of course.  I think we largely agree.  But I'm hesitant to say that we "only" see that in light of Christ if, by that, we mean that it isn't really in the text.  It is definitely in the text, but only in light of Christ could we see that.  Jews and other non-Trinitarians might argue that it isn't actually in the text, and that we are reading our doctrines into the Scriptures.  As Christians, that is not a viable option, IMO. 

I think, in a sense, we have to affirm with St Justin Martyr (if I'm not mistaken) that the OT is our book more than it is the book of the Jews, because only we understand it and teach it the way God intended from the beginning.  So as Christians, we are able to say truthfully that the Trinity is/was revealed in the pages of the OT: if that was not clear, it was so only from the time of authorship to the revelation of Christ.  In other words, it was a temporary situation, not a permanent feature of those Scriptures.   

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2013, 10:54:43 PM »

No. Not explicitly. It was a shadow, a prophecy.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2013, 10:57:55 PM »

Did Isaiah know about what he wrote when he prophesied, "Behold, My Servant shall proper?" Or David when he said, "They have pierced My hands and My feet?"

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2013, 10:59:05 PM »

Of course.  I think we largely agree.  But I'm hesitant to say that we "only" see that in light of Christ if, by that, we mean that it isn't really in the text.  It is definitely in the text, but only in light of Christ could we see that.  Jews and other non-Trinitarians might argue that it isn't actually in the text, and that we are reading our doctrines into the Scriptures.  As Christians, that is not a viable option, IMO. 

I think, in a sense, we have to affirm with St Justin Martyr (if I'm not mistaken) that the OT is our book more than it is the book of the Jews, because only we understand it and teach it the way God intended from the beginning.  So as Christians, we are able to say truthfully that the Trinity is/was revealed in the pages of the OT: if that was not clear, it was so only from the time of authorship to the revelation of Christ.  In other words, it was a temporary situation, not a permanent feature of those Scriptures.   

Amen

Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2013, 06:11:18 PM »

I was talking more about the blatant modernism, indifferentism and syncretism of the above two pontiffs, especially JP II "the great."

YEah, as a former RC I can't believe they are canonizing John XXIII who started the Second Vatican council which has essentially destroyed the RC and as for "The Great" there was nothing great about him. An indifferent syncretic modernist who called the Asissi meeting in 86 not to mention all the liturgical abuse he allowed and promoted.
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2013, 06:12:44 PM »

Ask a Muslim if Christians worship the same God as them. The answer is a solid no!  The consider us polytheists.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2013, 07:03:51 PM »

Ask a Muslim if Christians worship the same God as them. The answer is a solid no!  The consider us polytheists.

Not all Muslims say that. And even if they did, so what? The Jews don't believe in the Trinity either; do they not worship the same God?

(Oh wait, I forgot, this is OC.net. Never mind.  Roll Eyes )

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2013, 07:24:22 PM »

I'm locking this thread it is way out of control and not anywhere near to staying on topic. -username! Orthodox-Catholic Moderator

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: