Poll

Star-Spangled Virgin: Blessed, Blasphemous, or Meh?

(RC opinion only): Blessed
0 (0%)
(RC opinion only): Blasphemous
4 (10.8%)
(RC opinion only): Meh
2 (5.4%)
(EO opinion only): Blessed
1 (2.7%)
(EO opinion only): Blasphemous
22 (59.5%)
(EO opinion only): Meh
8 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Star-Spangled Virrgin: Blessed, Blasphemous, or Meh?  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Christ is risen!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
Re: Star-Spangled Virrgin: Blessed, Blasphemous, or Meh?
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2013, 10:57:38 AM »
The OO Arameans and Assyrians also mix their religious and national symbols.

Though I've seen this in Youtube videos, I've never actually seen it in a church.  Maybe the parishioners just didn't care about patriotism?  :P
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2013, 11:26:17 AM »
The OO Arameans and Assyrians also mix their religious and national symbols.

Though I've seen this in Youtube videos, I've never actually seen it in a church.  Maybe the parishioners just didn't care about patriotism?  :P

Sorry if that wasn't accurate - I based my affirmation on youtube videos, since I haven't had the chance of seeing an OO church in real life (so far).

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Christ is risen!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2013, 01:25:08 PM »
You don't know what you're missing.  ;)
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2013, 09:39:47 PM »
I used to be scandalized by the tricolor bookmark ribbons in most Romanian liturgical books. And the Greek flags hanging around Greek churches, even on Mount Athos. Then I saw that the Ethiopians sometimes have their tricolor around icons/liturgical items. The OO Arameans and Assyrians also mix their religious and national symbols. The Byzantine double-headed eagle is on the rug all our bishops stand on (the orlets/aetos). In the litanies we pray for "our pious nation" (to eusebes hemon genos), the political leaders (monarch, president, mayors, etc.), the army; at the Great Entrance the "heroes who died for our freedom and the faith of our ancestors" are commemorated. Surely, the line between a legitimate liturgical patriotism and ethnophyletism is easy to cross, but there must be one somewhere.    

I think the key is in the word "pious". We pray for pious kings, our pious nation, etc. What is appropriate in Church is the Christianization of our nation, not the nationalism-isation of our Christianity.

Precisely. There is no problem with bookmarks in the national colors, nor in praying liturgically and privately for the nation and its rulers. They are simply decorations and embellishments.

What is offensive about the tricolor forming the yarn on the Mother of God's spindle is that a national symbol is used in place of a motif which represents the Incarnation, God's taking of flesh and blood from the Virgin to become Man. In effect, the blood of Christ, derived from His Mother, becomes the national flag.

Is this travesty so difficult for some here to comprehend?
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to PM me or email me at the address in my profile.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Party per fess argent and gules; in chief a Latin cross bottony sable between two lozenges azure; in base a wheel, or.
  • Elder
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2013, 03:50:22 PM »
"bleck" may be the word I'm looking for here.  :'(
Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2013, 03:58:45 PM »
These images would be funny if they weren't so sad. Horrible.

Selam
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+

Offline Scotty

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2013, 01:13:14 PM »
I don't think the Church in the U.S. has ever given much thought to Rome's condemnations of Americanism in the late 1800s.