OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 04:46:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholics and WRO  (Read 1115 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« on: July 13, 2013, 09:57:42 AM »

For some reason many EOs seem to find idea of Eastern Catholicism highly offensive. I wonder does this work other way around? Does RCs find idea of WRO anyhow offensive?

militantsparrow
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 10:52:16 AM »

I didn't when I was Catholic; but then again, I ended up converting. I do know that many Catholic laity were suspicious of the EC.

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

Faith: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman Rite
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria, South Africa

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 10:58:28 AM »

I have no problem with the WRO. I personally think its an honest and correct move by orthodoxy to have a western rite as most of the American converts come from western traditions. It accommodates such converts and should be encouraged over the eastern rites just as eastern orthodox are encouraged to join Eastern Catholic churches.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 10:59:22 AM by Wandile » Logged

\"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.\" - Padre Pio<br /><br />\"He inquired whether he agreed with the Catholic bishops, that is
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 01:52:03 PM »

No problem with it at all. In fact, it seems reasonable and healthy.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 06:20:37 AM »

95% of American Roman Catholics have little if any knowledge of the existence of eastern Catholicism. Probably 99.99% of them never heard of WRO.

Most Orthodox are at least aware of Eastern Catholicism, but I suspect 95% have little if any knowledge of the existence of WRO.

ROCOR' s WRO had no more than 500 - 750 members total. That's one small RCC parish.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 06:25:08 AM »

95% of American Roman Catholics have little if any knowledge of the existence of eastern Catholicism. Probably 99.99% of them never heard of WRO.

Most Orthodox are at least aware of Eastern Catholicism, but I suspect 95% have little if any knowledge of the existence of WRO.

ROCOR' s WRO had no more than 500 - 750 members total. That's one small RCC parish.

Thank you for the reality check but despite the small numbers there's heck of a lot fuss about Eastern Catholicism among some EO folks. I thought there might be something similar among some RCs.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 06:26:17 AM by Alpo » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 07:51:24 AM »

For some reason many EOs seem to find idea of Eastern Catholicism highly offensive. I wonder does this work other way around? Does RCs find idea of WRO anyhow offensive?
A lot accuse it of "reverse uniatism."  Makes a nice bumper sticker, but no facts to sustain the charge.

The Vatican has its own version of WRO-rite of St. Tikhon.  IIRC they call it the "Book of Anglican Worship" or some such thing.  Like the WRO, but UNLIKE its "sui juris" rites, the Vatican has modified the Anglican services to reflect Vatican teaching-something that they did not do (at least originally, and they deny they do it now) in the "sui juris" rites (except, of course, sticking their supreme pontiffs name in the DL).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 08:38:20 AM »

I confess, I do not know the difference.  I started a thread about this a few weeks ago and it fizzled out.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 01:55:24 PM »

Thank you for the reality check but despite the small numbers there's heck of a lot fuss about Eastern Catholicism among some EO folks. I thought there might be something similar among some RCs.

I'm afraid you've got the wrong idea. Numbers for Greek Catholics are immensely larger than numbers for WRO.

But anyhow, numbers aren't a problem per se; but it must be said that at least a part of the reason for the numerical difference is the Catholic policy, over the last 4 centuries, of proselytizing Orthodox. That is a problem ... although I'm happy to say that we've recently renounced it.

"Pastoral activity in the Catholic Church, Latin as well as Eastern, no longer aims at having the faithful of one Church pass over to the other"
- the Balamand Statement

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 02:03:04 PM »

I'm afraid you've got the wrong idea. Numbers for Greek Catholics are immensely larger than numbers for WRO.

Of course they are but I assume the number of ECs is still small compared to EOs and RCs.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 02:20:30 PM »

Of course they are but I assume the number of ECs is still small compared to EOs and RCs.

Certainly. Greek Catholics are about 1% of the Roman Communion, and ECs altogether are about 2% of the Roman Communion.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 03:02:59 PM »

I confess, I do not know the difference.  I started a thread about this a few weeks ago and it fizzled out.
Between Catholics and WRO?  Nothing.

Between the Vatican and WRO? The WRO are Orthodox.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 03:04:44 PM »

But anyhow, numbers aren't a problem per se; but it must be said that at least a part of the reason for the numerical difference is the Catholic policy, over the last 4 centuries, of proselytizing Orthodox. That is a problem ... although I'm happy to say that we've recently renounced it.

"Pastoral activity in the Catholic Church, Latin as well as Eastern, no longer aims at having the faithful of one Church pass over to the other"
- the Balamand Statement

So the Vatican keep telling us while proselytizing.

Btw, I think the Vatican officially nixed the Balamand Statement a while ago.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 03:22:02 PM »

- the Balamand Statement

While proselytizing? Are you mistaking Catholic Answers, for other such groups, for the Vatican?

Oh?

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 03:27:18 PM »

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 03:28:05 PM by Alpo » Logged

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 03:31:41 PM »

The number of Eastern Catholics is in the millions, the number of WRO is in the hundreds. When one considers the number of Greek Catholics and Orthodox in countries like Ukraine, Lebanon and Syria, one can easily understand why it's controversial.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 04:17:44 PM »

- the Balamand Statement

While proselytizing? Are you mistaking Catholic Answers, for other such groups, for the Vatican?

Oh?
IIRC, Fr. Ambrose (MYs!) posted the document or a link to it.

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 04:54:54 PM »

No.
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/ch_orthodox_docs/rc_pc_chrstuni_doc_19930624_lebanon_en.html

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »

Regarding the original post, it depends. I like Antiochian WRO. Met one of their priests. They're not Catholic but not anti-Catholic either; quite the opposite, just like '50s high Episcopal.

ROCOR's anti-Catholic so I found their Western Rite operations offensive but mostly harmless.

ROCOR's WRO had no more than 500 - 750 members total. That's one small RCC parish.

Right.

"Pastoral activity in the Catholic Church, Latin as well as Eastern, no longer aims at having the faithful of one Church pass over to the other" - the Balamand Statement

That's fine. As I've been saying, the Catholic goal is corporate reunion. Never-Catholic Orthodox get the benefit of the doubt. So individual conversions aren't solicited but, because of the true-church claim, they are accepted, now quietly.

I don't like the Ukrainian Catholic Church's moving their HQ to Kiev either. Goes against what I wrote above. But it's understandable considering how the Russian Orthodox treated them under Soviet rule, and if you're afraid of competition from them, maybe you're vulnerable over there. And... are Soviet-raised, never-churched Russians/Ukrainians fair game, unlike born Orthodox? Fair question. I'd say, be nice and work toward corporate reunion, so let the Orthodox in their native lands have first crack at them.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: