OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:44:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark Burnett's 'The Bible' sequel gets NBC greenlight  (Read 886 times) Average Rating: 0
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« on: July 03, 2013, 12:39:04 PM »

Mark Burnett's 'The Bible' sequel gets NBC greenlight

Mark Burnett and NBC are forging a holy alliance to bring the sequel to Burnett and his wife, Roma Downey's hit miniseries "The Bible" to the peacock network.

The sequel, which bears the working title "A.D.: Beyond the Bible," follows the enormously popular 10-part miniseries "The Bible," which drew a huge audience to History earlier this year.

The sequel begins in the dark days after Jesus betrayal and death.

The rest of the article:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=816008&ocid=ansent11

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 02:21:45 PM »

IF memory serves, there was a movie in the 1980s called A.D. (I remember watching it in Sunday school when I was young).  I don't recall too much about the quality, cinematographic or acting or otherwise, but it's all been done before. What does Mark Burnett think he's going to do that's different?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 02:39:07 PM »

Better special effects.  For example, maybe the angel that sets St Peter free from prison is really a mixed African-American/Asian ninja who moves like Neo from the Matrix and carries a light saber.  That wasn't in A.D...

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 02:46:40 PM »

A few years back Bill O'Reilly and Keith Olbermann were chucking mud back and forth... not sure if that's a normal thing or not, I don't watch either of them unless forced to at gunpoint. Anyway, so I had a gun to my head and was watching them, and neither knew what A.D. meant (wanna guess what they thought it meant?), and yet they were criticizing each other for not fact checking stuff about Christ or the Bible or something.  Was sorta funny, but sorta sad. I know that many people make a mistake with this, but don't these news organizations have people who are supposed to edit the material and fact check it or something? Anyway, maybe now they'll find out...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 02:47:31 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 03:00:56 PM »

Mark Burnett's 'The Bible' sequel gets NBC greenlight

Mark Burnett and NBC are forging a holy alliance to bring the sequel to Burnett and his wife, Roma Downey's hit miniseries "The Bible" to the peacock network.

The sequel, which bears the working title "A.D.: Beyond the Bible," follows the enormously popular 10-part miniseries "The Bible," which drew a huge audience to History earlier this year.

The sequel begins in the dark days after Jesus betrayal and death.

The rest of the article:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=816008&ocid=ansent11

This is a noble idea and could promote the Church if done well.  I wonder what they will cover.  I can see the martyrdom of Polycarp and such scenes fitting well into a screenplay.  I hope they get some good advisers.  It would be great if they were Orthodox but Id settle for a mixture of Orthodox, Catholics, and Anglicans who espouse branch theory.  I am just afraid of the damage that could come if it is presented as a low church, preachin' group of believers assaulted by evil men with miters a la Eisenstein's Alexander Nevsky.  I don't want to see St Constantine presented as the Grwat Corrupter of All Things Holy and a Dan Brown esque retelling of Nicea.   
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 03:13:12 PM »

IF memory serves, there was a movie in the 1980s called A.D. (I remember watching it in Sunday school when I was young).  I don't recall too much about the quality, cinematographic or acting or otherwise, but it's all been done before. What does Mark Burnett think he's going to do that's different?

That might have been the sequel to "Jesus of Nazareth".

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 04:34:57 PM »

There was a sequel?  I actually thought "Jesus of Nazareth" was very well done...at least I thought so when I saw it on TV, as a kid.

The music was hauntingly beautiful.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 04:45:58 PM »

How far after the crucifixion will the sequel go? The end of Acts? The Seventh Ecumenical Council?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:47:02 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 08:48:58 PM »

1054 A.D.   Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 11:10:50 PM »

They have to play it safe for the broadest possible audience. I suppose that Acts and the letters of Paul would be the main focus. Go beyond that in terms of the narrative and we Christians will all start arguing.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 12:50:25 AM »

A few years back Bill O'Reilly and Keith Olbermann were chucking mud back and forth... not sure if that's a normal thing or not, I don't watch either of them unless forced to at gunpoint. Anyway, so I had a gun to my head and was watching them, and neither knew what A.D. meant (wanna guess what they thought it meant?), and yet they were criticizing each other for not fact checking stuff about Christ or the Bible or something.  Was sorta funny, but sorta sad. I know that many people make a mistake with this, but don't these news organizations have people who are supposed to edit the material and fact check it or something? Anyway, maybe now they'll find out...
They didn't think "after death," did they?
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 01:00:26 AM »

A few years back Bill O'Reilly and Keith Olbermann were chucking mud back and forth... not sure if that's a normal thing or not, I don't watch either of them unless forced to at gunpoint. Anyway, so I had a gun to my head and was watching them, and neither knew what A.D. meant (wanna guess what they thought it meant?), and yet they were criticizing each other for not fact checking stuff about Christ or the Bible or something.  Was sorta funny, but sorta sad. I know that many people make a mistake with this, but don't these news organizations have people who are supposed to edit the material and fact check it or something? Anyway, maybe now they'll find out...
They didn't think "after death," did they?

That's my guess.  Sad, isn't it?
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 01:06:12 AM »

They have to play it safe for the broadest possible audience. I suppose that Acts and the letters of Paul would be the main focus. Go beyond that in terms of the narrative and we Christians will all start arguing.

Episode 10 of the original Bible series left off with St. John survives death and is instead exiled to solitary confinement on Patmos where he receives a revelation of hope – Jesus is coming back. And all who have the courage to keep the faith will be rewarded.  I suppose the sequel will be Mark Burnett's interpretation of the Apocalypse.

http://bibleseriesresources.com/episode-summaries
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 07:22:59 PM »

Well its not "after the bible then" is it? Perhaps it will go into church history? If so I hope Ignatius of Antioch is one of the first they show.

Thank you.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 07:31:37 PM »

I'm a bit apprehensive of this "sequel"

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 02:57:03 PM »

The makers of 'The Bible' have now made the movie 'The Son of God'. Unlike in their first movie, 'The Son of God' will not have the devil as a character:

“The Bible” series was in its third week when Jesus began to appear on the big screen....But there was supernatural opposition at work. The devil was also in that episode. Someone made a comment that the actor who played the devil vaguely resembled our president, and suddenly the media went nuts. It went global, showing up all over TV and the Internet.
It became ugly when people started making nasty statements. Something that had been born of a beautiful intention was suddenly under attack, and we were caught in the middle of spiritual warfare.
But for our movie, “Son of God,” I wanted all of the focus to be on Jesus. I want his name to be on the lips of everyone who sees this movie, so we cast Satan out. It gives me great pleasure to tell you that the devil is on the cutting room floor. This is now a movie about Jesus, the Son of God, and the devil gets no more screen time, no more distractions.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 03:28:40 PM »

A horrible decision.  Why couldn't they just get someone else to play the devil? 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 03:37:40 PM »

A horrible decision.  Why couldn't they just get someone else to play the devil?  
I thought Mel Gibson had a awesome devil in The Passion of the Christ.

Hint: Satan is on the left.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:37:57 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 03:41:10 PM »

Better special effects.  For example, maybe the angel that sets St Peter free from prison is really a mixed African-American/Asian ninja who moves like Neo from the Matrix and carries a light saber.  That wasn't in A.D...

Grin
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 04:00:58 PM »

A horrible decision.  Why couldn't they just get someone else to play the devil?  

Hint: Satan is on the left.

Fun fact: that devil is a woman! That is Rosalinda Celentano.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 04:24:04 PM »

I agree, though I am more partial to Mary Magdalene:

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 06:12:16 PM »

I agree, though I am more partial to Mary Magdalene:

Toss out the devil and the end the film at the death of Christ and you have a fine, fine film.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
kyril

Faith: Christian (Orthodox)
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Canada - OCA

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 07:41:31 AM »

fine, fine film.
Just what the liberal modernist wants, in fact.
The heart-breaking death of the Tragic Hero!
Curtain 3 minutes of standing applause;
3 curtain calls

kyril
kyril

Faith: Christian (Orthodox)
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Canada - OCA

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 07:45:19 AM »

In case you hadn't noticed, at four in the morning I tend to be somewhat sardonic (well, more than usual.)
yawn.... Undecided

kyril
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: