OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 10:12:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marriage  (Read 633 times) Average Rating: 0
mtmamma

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« on: July 02, 2013, 08:57:37 AM »

If you were married before conversion is your marriage considered valid in the Coptic Church? Or is there some sort of blessing of the marriage that should take place?
Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 06:37:19 PM »

I think it varies based on what kind of marriage you had, and the policy of your bishop.  A Catholic marriage, for example, certainly should be accepted, but then a Catholic baptism should also be accepted, and often is not.  I'm afraid you just have to ask your priest for the policy of your diocese. 
mtmamma

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 10:48:05 AM »

Thanks Jonathon. I don't think we have a diocese out this way..
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 10:58:05 AM »

I would still ask your priest.  I can't imagine you having to get totally remarried.  I've never heard of that.  It could be that there is some sort of blessing, like you said.  Fr. Peter or Fr. Kyrillos may know about this, but they have not logged on here recently.   

Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 11:01:37 AM »

Thanks Jonathon. I don't think we have a diocese out this way..

Even if there is no diocese, you fall under the care of a diocese, either alexandria , or the diocese that is loaning a priest to you... Your priest will have a bishop they can check with if they don't already have an answer Smiley
WPM
Archon

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 12:14:35 PM »

<edit> The traditional wedding ceremony? ...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:18:55 PM by WPM » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 04:56:08 AM »

if both people are now orthodox and didn't have an orthodox wedding, most places would consider them married, give them Holy Communion but also invite them to have an orthodox wedding.
i think from what people have said above that catholic weddings may be counted.
i know civil weddings are not, and i suppose with protestant weddings, it depends on the circumstances.

last weekend my friends had their church wedding (now they are both orthodox); they had only had a civil wedding before. this was because of complicated circumstances relating to them being from different countries and living in a third country.
it was extremely beautiful and they and their guests from other countries and all the church people were very blessed.

i wouldn't look at it as 'having to have another wedding', but as 'getting a second chance to take part in all the blessings and prayers which were missed the first time around'.
also you get to wear pretty clothes and have a party and invite your sceptical friends to church! (they may not want to come on a regular day, but would make the effort for your special celebration)  Smiley
mtmamma

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 06:53:10 PM »

And if one is not Orthodox?
Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 07:34:08 PM »

And if one is not Orthodox?

"For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy." Marriage wasn't invented by the Church, just elevated to a Sacrament, a mystery of salvation. It isn't that those outside the Church are unmarried, its just that their natural marriage hasn't been raised to a mystery. It is not a sin, and is right to stay in it. Completely different than someone inside the Church marrying outside the Church. Of course, I wouldn't say that a Catholic Marriage is outside the Sacrament.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 01:41:41 PM »

i agree.
an the orthodox one gets to do a lots of praying and waiting and loving and growing in patience.
which tends to cause spiritual growth!
may God give patience and love to all those in this situation.
Tags: marriage 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: