OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 05:45:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building Candle Stand  (Read 452 times) Average Rating: 0
Peacemaker
Elder

« on: June 30, 2013, 12:54:49 AM »

I am looking to build two of these for the mission that just started near town. The priest is a monk from Mt Athos and has been here for a year. We are slowly getting this and that. I was thinking today instead of buying one of these (because I don't have a few grand to spend) I wonder if there is a way it can be made? Would like to get some insight on what you think! I had an idea of getting two floor lamps and using the base and neck, but I don't know what I could use for a top. I have no idea, do you?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 01:12:45 AM by Peacemaker » Logged

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Golgotha

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 01:10:29 AM »

sandbox
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 01:12:33 AM »

sandbox

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to say that sandbox are not a good idea (they worked but we don't want them and no one wants them ever) the wax gets into the sand and it's horrible.

Candle stands like this are traditional and better looking anyway.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 01:13:32 AM by Peacemaker » Logged

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 01:18:25 AM »

Would it be possible to get a bunch of single candle holders, and then weld them to a base of some sort that could then be attached to the lamps?

Also, I'm sure you could find a local blacksmith somewhere that could make you something for a much more reasonable price. My grandfather used to run a blacksmith shop on the side and made candleholders all the time, I'm sure he could've made a candle stand at an affordable cost.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 01:22:08 AM »

I don't have any advice on making one, other than to possibly talk to someone who is a metal worker/welder and see if they think they could do something. But fwiw could you use one of the things ECSC sells? For example they have one that holds 21 candles and is $370. Still not cheap, but at least it's not in the thousands.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 06:50:02 AM »

Peacemaker, PM me. I've made several candlestands for local churches over the years, in a variety of configurations.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:51:35 AM by LBK » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: