Author Topic: Post your favorite quotes!  (Read 30610 times)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Post your favorite quotes!
« Reply #360 on: October 03, 2017, 10:53:27 PM »
A very interesting quote from Fr. Antônio Vieira, father of Brazilian literature and missionary among Native Americans, from his St. Anthony Sermon for the Fish:

"Do you think only the Tapuias eat each other? A much greater butcher is the one here, they Whites eat each other much more. Do you see all that bustle, do you see all that walking, do you see all that movement in the squares and street crossing; do you see all this up and down the sidewalks, do you see this one enter and leave without quietness or rest? For all that is men reflecting how will they eat, and how will they eat each other. One died, you will soon see so many onto this miserable one, shredding and eating him. The heirs eat him, the testamentaries eat him, the legatees eat him, the lenders eat him; the officers of the orphans, the deceased and the absent eat him; the doctor, who cured him or helped him die, eats him; the bleeder who bled him eats him; his own wife, who grudginly arranges the home's oldest sheet for a shroud, eats him; the one who opened his grave, the one who tolled the bells, the ones who singingly led him for burial eat him; well, the poor deceased has not eaten the earth, but the Earth has already eaten him."

So true!
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #361 on: October 18, 2017, 08:59:23 PM »
"'I'm religious but I don't believe in institutional Christianity' is often another Docetic way to say, 'I want to be spiritual without any of the ambiguities, frustrations, and responsibilities that embody spiritual commitment.' Institutions are embodiments and substantiations of ideals, aims, and values. Docetism is a spiritual abnegation of any responsibility to incarnate ideals, values, or love. It is altogether too easy to love and care in the abstract. Concrete situations of diapers, debts, divorce, or listening to and being with someone in depression and despair, is the test of real love. Docetism is the religious way to escape having love tested in the flesh." - (Episcopalian Bishop) C. FitzSimons Allison, The Cruelty of Heresy, pp. 37-38

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #362 on: October 24, 2017, 12:26:42 PM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #363 on: November 08, 2017, 07:43:15 PM »
"The size of Earth’s atmosphere relative to Earth is the same as the skin of an Apple relative to the Apple." (Neil deGrasse Tyson)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #364 on: November 08, 2017, 08:32:28 PM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #365 on: November 10, 2017, 05:31:24 AM »
"The size of Earth’s atmosphere relative to Earth is the same as the skin of an Apple relative to the Apple." (Neil deGrasse Tyson)

"Who knows how ideas come to you? Isaac Newton invented gravity because some (removed - Mor) threw an apple at his head."   ~ Christopher Moltisanti ~

Selam

Edited to remove profanity. 

GMK, link to it if you must, but do not reproduce it.

Mor Ephrem, section moderator
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:15:27 AM by Mor Ephrem »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

• Merarches
« Reply #366 on: November 10, 2017, 02:33:47 PM »

"Who knows how ideas come to you? Isaac Newton invented gravity because some (removed - Mor) threw an apple at his head."   ~ Christopher Moltisanti ~

Selam

Edited to remove profanity. 

GMK, link to it if you must, but do not reproduce it.

Mor Ephrem, section moderator

Apologies.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #367 on: January 29, 2018, 09:13:35 AM »
Two masters in one post.

'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #368 on: March 16, 2018, 10:34:53 AM »
"And I spake unto Fotis merrily and sayd, O Fotis how trimmely you can stirre the pot, and how finely, with shaking your buttockes, you can make pottage." - Apuleius, The Golden Asse

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #369 on: June 19, 2018, 07:56:21 AM »

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #370 on: June 21, 2018, 09:00:32 AM »
"I guess Krennic had a little bit of an arc, in that he started out kind of interesting and then got less interesting." - Jenny Nicholson

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #371 on: June 23, 2018, 06:31:17 PM »
Eugen Roth once wrote:

A man seriously and closely reflected
on the fable of the Pharisee
who thanked to God full of hypocrisy
that he was no publican.
"Thank God", said he in vain mind,
"I am not a Pharisee!"

Saw a meme in another thread and reminded me of when I read this poem and realised I'm sometimes that guy lol
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #372 on: June 23, 2018, 07:02:22 PM »
Eugen Roth once wrote:

A man seriously and closely reflected
on the fable of the Pharisee
who thanked to God full of hypocrisy
that he was no publican.
"Thank God", said he in vain mind,
"I am not a Pharisee!"

Saw a meme in another thread and reminded me of when I read this poem and realised I'm sometimes that guy lol

I am too, yep.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #373 on: July 18, 2018, 06:15:37 AM »
'What does the money machine eat? It eats youth, spontaneity, life, beauty, and, above all, it eats creativity. It eats quality and craps quantity.'~William S. Burroughs

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #374 on: July 18, 2018, 11:01:30 AM »
"Night will come, and I will follow" - Slayer, 'Criminally Insane'
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #375 on: August 09, 2018, 12:28:57 AM »
"Finns are most famous for being quiet."

-Archbishop Leo of Helsinki and All Finland
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #376 on: August 09, 2018, 07:33:27 AM »

Can any of our forum Finns confirm this?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:36:46 AM by Dominika »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Briven

• Baseball loving Old Believer
  • Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй мѧ!
  • Faith: Old Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
« Reply #377 on: August 09, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »
Where even the last vestige of feudal ties disappears, the increasing social isolation of the individual and his increasing helplessness fuse him into a totalitarian mass.

Where one supposes, in effect, that the majority is equivalent to the totality, the idea of consensus is twisted into totalitarian coercion.

- Nicolas Gomez Davila

“God,”
The words rumbled:
“There is much suffering,
But the church is alive. "

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness
Comes in the clothing of fortune.

St. Avvakum, pray for us!

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #378 on: August 09, 2018, 05:27:55 PM »
I love Dávila, but he was too much of a pessimist. Organicity in the post-modern reality is possible, but it takes effort, and it's easier now than over the last decades, since, differently from modernity, post-modernity has open possibilities.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Brilko

• Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #379 on: August 09, 2018, 06:21:27 PM »

An excellent trap. Any Finn who answers will become an outcast.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #380 on: August 09, 2018, 07:23:00 PM »

An excellent trap. Any Finn who answers will become an outcast.

;)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Briven

« Reply #381 on: August 10, 2018, 03:14:07 PM »
I love Dávila, but he was too much of a pessimist. Organicity in the post-modern reality is possible, but it takes effort, and it's easier now than over the last decades, since, differently from modernity, post-modernity has open possibilities.

Yeah, I agree. He was kind of a defeatist.
“God,”
The words rumbled:

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

• Merarches
« Reply #382 on: August 13, 2018, 11:17:55 AM »
Some of my favorites:

“You write because you must, whether you can sell it or not.” [Ernest Hemingway]

“From his pain he knew he was not dead.” [Ernest Hemingway]

“Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.” [Ernest Hemingway]

"Too much honor destroys a man quicker than too much of any other fine quality." [Ernest Hemingway]

"Anything capable of arousing passion in its favor will surely raise as much passion against it." [Ernest Hemingway]

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” [Tolstoy]
“I can’t change the world, but I can change the world in me.” [U2]

“It is better to be wrong by killing no one than to be right with mass graves.” [Albert Camus]

“The most important thing you do every day you live is deciding not to kill yourself.” [Albert Camus]

“There are causes worth dying for, but none worth killing for.” [Albert Camus]

“I am on the side of life. I am against war. Revolution today has to be revolt against war.” [Albert Camus]

“The real 19th century prophet was Dostoevsky, not Karl Marx.” [Albert Camus]

“Beauty will save the world.” [Dostoevsky]

“Love in reality is a harsh and dreadful thing compared to love in dreams.” [Dostoevsky]

“What is hell? I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love.” [Dostoevsky]

“So long as men worship Caesars and Napoleans, Caesars and Napoleans will duly rise and make them miserable. God’s Kingdom will not come unless we begin by making our human kingdoms go.” [Aldous Huxley]

“God is to be glorified through the creation, to be realized in the creation – infinity in a grain of sand and eternity in a flower.” [Aldous Huxley]

“Consistency is contrary to nature, contrary to life. The only completely consistent people are dead.” [Aldous Huxley]

“The propagandist’s purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other sets of people are human.” [Aldous Huxley]

"However elevated they may be, however consoling, psychic experiences are not enlightenment, nor even the means to enlightenment." [Aldous Huxley]

“When once a certain class of people has been placed by the temporal and spiritual authorities outside the ranks of those whose life has value, then nothing comes more naturally to men than murder.” [Simone Weil]

“Being a faithful follower of Jesus means to declare oneself free from all spiritual forces of death and destruction and to submit oneself single-heartedly to the power of life.” [William Stringfellow]

“The Christian is an incessant revolutionary. He is always, everywhere, in revolt – not for himself but for humanity.” [William Stringfellow]

“As in the time of the trial of Jesus Christ, so in this day and place, to truly be a free person is to be a criminal.”  [William Stringfellow]

“God does not ask for religious art or ‘Catholic’ art. The art He wants for Himself is Art, with all of its teeth.” [Jacques Maritain]

“Throughout history it has been the inaction of those who could have acted, the indifference of those who should have known better, and the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most that has made it possible for evil to triumph.” [H.I.M. Haile Selassie I]

“The drum and the bass will be our guns, and the lyrics will be our bullets.” [Pablo Moses]

“I can’t be a pessimist because I am alive.” [James Baldwin]

“I can’t believe what you say because I see what you do.” [James Baldwin]

“In America I was free only in battle, never free to rest. And he who finds no way to rest cannot long survive the battle.” [James Baldwin]

“Not everything that is faced can be changed. But nothing can be changed unless it is faced.” [James Baldwin]

“There’s nothing I wouldn’t do for you, if only I could stop thinking about me.” [Keith Green]

“Thought without action is empty. Action without thought is blind.” [Kwame Nkrumah]

“Humility elevates, and faith conquers.” [Kwame Nkrumah]

“Anxiety is the handmaiden of creativity.” [T.S. Eliot]

“The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it emotionally.” [Flannery O’Connor]

“The glory of Christianity is that it conquers by forgiveness.” [William Blake]

“A poet, a painter, a musician, an architect: the man or woman who is not one of these is not a Christian.” [William Blake]

“There are many things that can only be seen through eyes that have cried.” [Oscar Romero]

“The best way to defeat Marxism is to take seriously the preferential option for the poor.” [Oscar Romero]

“Everyone who struggles for justice, everyone who makes just claims in unjust surroundings, is working for the Kingdom of God.” [Oscar Romero]

“Christians should be troublemakers, creators of uncertainty, agents of a dimension incompatible with society.” [Jacques Ellul]

“By anarchy I mean first an absolute rejection of violence.” [Jacques Ellul]

“No man has believed perfectly until he wishes for his brother the good that he wishes for himself.” [Malcolm X]

“If you’re not careful, the media will have you hating the people who are being oppressed and praising the people who are doing the oppressing.” [Malcolm X]

“Revolution is brought about by men who think as men of action and act as men of thought.” [Kwame Nkrumah]

“Any god who is mine but not yours, any god concerned with me but not with you, is an idol." [Abraham J. Heschel]

“Wonder, rather than doubt, is the root of all knowledge.” [Abraham J. Heschel]

“Write in such a way as that you can be readily understood by both the young and the old, by men as well as women, even by children.” [Ho Chi Minh]

“What I see around me would drive me insane, if I did not know that no matter what happens, God will have the last word.” [Elder Paisios]

“The revolutionary seeks not only the liberation of the oppressed but also the liberation of the oppressor.” [Steve Biko]

“Where there is injustice I always believe in fighting. The question is: do we fight to punish or do we fight to change things? I’ve found that we are all such sinners that we should leave punishment to God.” [Gandhi]

“Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue. Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice.” [Cicero]

“It is a terrible thing to make a decision that an individual knows, somewhere in the profound recesses of his spirit, is against life.” [Howard Thurman]

“There can be no Christian mysticism without theology, and there can be no true theology which is not mystical.” [Vladimir Lossky]

“I cannot fathom how anyone could have such facility at lying and still make his lies sound like truth.” [Miguel De Cervantes]

“If they criticize God, who won’t they criticize?” [Miguel De Cervantes]

“Material wealth is worthless in dealing with sorrows born in heaven.” [Miguel De Cervantes]

“One of the sins most offensive to God is ingratitude.” [Miguel De Cervantes]

“God bears with the wicked, but not forever.” [Miguel De Cervantes]

“God sees, but waits.” [Leo Tolstoy]

“Let us each be responsible for our own sins. God will not forget to punish the wicked or reward the good. And how is it justice that honorable men should become the executioners of those who have done them no wrong?” [Miguel De Cervantes]

“It is not our responsibility to determine whether the afflicted, the poor, the imprisoned and oppressed who we encounter are reduced to these circumstances and suffer because of their vices or for their virtues. Our sole responsibility is to comfort them as people in need, having mercy only for their pain rather than judging them for their misdeeds.” [Miguel De Cervantes]

“To withdraw is not to retreat, for the wise man is he who takes care of himself today so that he is able to fight tomorrow.”  [Miguel De Cervantes]

“I don’t have education, I have inspiration. If I were educated I’d be a damn fool.” [Bob Marley]

“It takes a revolution to make a solution.” [Bob Marley]

“He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day.” [Bob Marley (Berhane Selassie)]

“Never let a politician grant you a favor; he will want to control you forever.” [Bob Marley]

“Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.” [Bob Marley]

“They’ll be laughing when there ain’t no joke.” [Bob Marley]

“The truth is an offense, but not a sin.” [Bob Marley]

“Someone will have to pay, for the innocent blood that they shed every day. Children mark my words, it’s what the Bible say.” [Bob Marley]

“We are revolutionaries, fighting singlehandedly with music.” [Bob Marley]

“Sherriff John Brown always hated me. For what, I don’t know. Every time I plant a seed, he say kill it before it grow. He said kill them before they grow.” [Bob Marley]

“We prefer poverty in liberty than riches in slavery.” [Sekou Toure]

“Whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much; and what is done in love is well done. There is nothing more truly artistic than to love people.” [Van Gogh]

“How does one become mediocre? By complying with and conforming to whatever the world dictates from one day to the next, by never contradicting the world and by heeding public opinion.”  [Van Gogh]

“Art is to console those who are broken by life.” [Van Gogh]

“Though I am often in the depths of misery, there is still calmness, pure harmony and music inside me.” [Van Gogh]

“I prefer hell with Jesus to heaven without Him.” [Meister Eckhart]

“He who rules himself is more powerful than he who rules nations.” [Buddha]

“Nothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul.”  [Oscar Wilde]

“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist.” [Picasso]

“If anyone falls, he falls alone. But no one is saved alone.” [Alexei Khomiakov]

“An equation for me has no meaning unless it expresses a thought of God.” [Ramanujan]

“It takes discipline to withstand the onslaught of illusion.” [Carlos Santana]

“A painting is music you can see, and music is a painting you can hear.” [Miles Davis]

“‘Progress’ is the suicide of civilization.” [Albert Schweitzer]

“Don’t let school interfere with your education.” [Mark Twain]

"If Christ is Risen, nothing else matters; and if Christ is not Risen, nothing else matters." [Jaroslav Pelikan]

“Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.” [Plato]

“Anyone who deliberately tries to get himself elected to office is permanently disqualified from holding one.” [Thomas More]

“If you want to lift up yourself, lift up someone else.” [Booker T. Washington]

“If you dare to struggle you dare to win. If you dare not struggle, then damn it, you don’t deserve to win.” [Fred Hampton]

“You can kill a revolutionary, but you can’t kill the revolution.” [Fred Hampton]

“You can jail a revolutionary, but you can’t jail the revolution.” [Bobby Seale]

“If you wanna live on forever, you gotta love each other.” [Dennis Brown]

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, and I don’t think you do either.” [William F. Buckley]

“You miss every shot that you don’t take.” [Michael Jordan]

“Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh, and the greatness which does not bow before children.” [Kahlil Gibran]

"A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." [William James]

“I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace. Nothing will end war unless people themselves refuse to go to war.” [Albert Einstein]

"The Saints help in the work of saving souls in hell, because there can be no idleness in heaven. Those in hell will ultimately be brought to heaven." [Sadhu Sundar Singh]

“He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, wisdom comes to us by the awful grace of God.” [Aeschylus]

“The Christian faith has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found difficult and left untried.” [G.K. Chesterton]

“Words are truly the image of the soul.” [St. Basil the Great]

“If the Christian Faith is false, then it’s of no importance. But if the Christian Faith if true, then there’s nothing more important in the entire universe.” [C.S. Lewis]

“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”
[C.S. Lewis]

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." [MLK]

"I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant." [MLK]

"The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood." [MLK]

“There is nothing in the world more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.” [MLK]

“There are only two views of man. One is that we are a little lower than the angels. The other is that we are a little higher than the apes. I’m firmly on the side of the angels.” [Steven Mosher]

“The power of the pen may be great, but in love it has failed me. Tomorrow I plan action.”  [John-Boy Walton]

“Using past failures as the seed of tomorrow’s defeat is a waste of the garden of life God has given us.” [John-Boy Walton]

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #383 on: August 13, 2018, 03:57:19 PM »
“Consistency is contrary to nature, contrary to life. The only completely consistent people are dead.” [Aldous Huxley]
Why? Selam.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #384 on: August 20, 2018, 09:18:26 AM »
Quote from: Presbyterian Minister Martin Lloyd-Jones
If your presentation of the Gospel does not expose it to the charge of Antinomianism you are probably not putting it correctly.

Or maybe because you actually are an Antinomian?

Maybe it makes me shallow, but this quote is one of the biggest things that made me realize that Orthodoxy is not "salvation by works" to any meaningful degree (or at least not in a way that wouldn't also indict most conservative Protestants).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:18:54 AM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #385 on: August 23, 2018, 06:32:52 PM »
Very interesting quote in The Decline of the West, by Oswald Spengler:

Puritanism — not in the West only, but in all Cultures — lacks the smile that had illumined the religion of the Spring — every Spring — the moments of profound joy in life, the humour of life. Nothing of the quiet blissfulness that in the Magian Springtime flashes up so often in the stories of Jesus's childhood, or in Gregory Nazianzen, is to be found in the Koran, nothing in the palpable blitheness of St. Francis's songs in Milton. Deadly earnest broods over the Jansenist mind of Port Royal, over the meetings of the black-clothed Roundheads, by whom Shakespeare's "Merry England' — Sybaris over again — was annihilated in a few years. Now for the first time the battle against the Devil, whose bodily nearness they all felt, was fought with a dark and bitter fury. In the seventeenth century more than a million witches were burnt — alike in the Protestant North, the Catholic South, and even the communities in America and India. Joyless and sour are the duty-doctrines of Islam (jtkb), with its hard intellectu- ality, and the Westminster Catechisms of 1643, and the Jansenist ethics (Jansen's Augustinus, 1640) as well — for in the realm of Loyola, too, there was of in- ward necessity a Puritan movement. Religion is livingly experienced meta- physic, but the company of the "godly," as the Independents called themselves, and the Pythagoreans, and the disciples of Mohammed, all alike experienced it, not with the senses, but primarily as a concept.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:33:30 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #386 on: August 23, 2018, 06:50:16 PM »
Eh, kind of reads like a Gish Gallop to me. I mean, I can see the general point, but something tells me he's way overgeneralizing (and "a million witches burnt" sounds straight-up apocryphal).

And if Merry Old England was "Sybraris over again," why is he lamenting its passing?

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #387 on: August 23, 2018, 06:56:20 PM »
Eh, kind of reads like a Gish Gallop to me. I mean, I can see the general point, but something tells me he's way overgeneralizing (and "a million witches burnt" sounds straight-up apocryphal).
I don't think it's very overgeneralizing - if it is, that should be a flaw in his whole work, since he uses analogy and homology among historical phenomena extensively to talk about Volksgeist and Zeitgeist. Anyway, I think it's a precise definition of Puritanism.

And if Merry Old England was "Sybraris over again," why is he lamenting its passing?
He's actually comparing the literal fall of Sybaris to the metaphorical fall of Shakespeare's England.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:56:47 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #388 on: August 23, 2018, 07:06:51 PM »
England's still there.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #389 on: August 23, 2018, 07:11:42 PM »
Not Elizabethan England. Cromwell took it. That's what "metaphorical" usually means.  :P
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:13:43 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #390 on: August 23, 2018, 07:38:55 PM »
I don't think it's very overgeneralizing - if it is, that should be a flaw in his whole work, since he uses analogy and homology among historical phenomena extensively to talk about Volksgeist and Zeitgeist. Anyway, I think it's a precise definition of Puritanism.

As far as it goes, I guess, even if a tad polemical. But I'm sure if you dug into the examples he lists, you could find exceptions to the general rule of "joylessness."

He's actually comparing the literal fall of Sybaris to the metaphorical fall of Shakespeare's England.

Ok. My mistake.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Goths and rivetheads are entering the Kingdom of God before me
  • OC.net guru
  • St. John Koukouzeles
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #391 on: August 23, 2018, 08:20:11 PM »
Not Elizabethan England. Cromwell took it. That's what "metaphorical" usually means.  :P
I thought it was the Normans that destroyed England? Guess I used to read too much of a certain English priest's blog.  :P

oh well.
Quote from: Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
Only one person who is prayerfully connected to God is needed, and we will have peace everywhere -- in the family, at work, in the government, and everywhere.
The cooler heads are too busy making pierogis.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #392 on: August 23, 2018, 08:34:08 PM »
They've still got a Globe Theatre.

So.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #393 on: August 23, 2018, 08:42:47 PM »

So.

...So?

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Goths and rivetheads are entering the Kingdom of God before me
  • OC.net guru
  • St. John Koukouzeles
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #395 on: August 23, 2018, 08:45:21 PM »

So.

...So?
I think he's trying to say that Elizabethan England isn't dead, it's just resting.
Quote from: Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
Only one person who is prayerfully connected to God is needed, and we will have peace everywhere -- in the family, at work, in the government, and everywhere.
The cooler heads are too busy making pierogis.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #396 on: August 23, 2018, 08:48:31 PM »

So.

...So?
I think he's trying to say that Elizabethan England isn't dead, it's just resting.

Well, technically we're running Elizabethan 2.0, but the particular theatre is not an integral feature, just an add-on.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #397 on: August 23, 2018, 08:53:58 PM »
Okay.

I am so mellow right now, and I haven't even taken my Valium.

Offline Rubricnigel

• Elder
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
« Reply #398 on: August 23, 2018, 09:12:13 PM »
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

-Aristotle

Something society lacks nowadays.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #399 on: August 24, 2018, 01:00:42 AM »
I thought it was the Normans that destroyed England? Guess I used to read too much of a certain English priest's blog.  :P

oh well.
Spengler would say pre-Norman England wasn't even the same culture as post-Norman English, as he labels Normans as "Faustian conquerors" and would probably label Anglo-Saxon as "Magians".

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #400 on: August 24, 2018, 01:01:47 AM »
Okay.

I am so mellow right now, and I haven't even taken my Valium.
Good!  ;)

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #401 on: August 24, 2018, 04:10:59 PM »
Today is a good day to be aroused! - Barack Obama
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 04:12:07 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Briven

« Reply #402 on: September 10, 2018, 03:41:07 PM »
Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said "sure, every time".

- Mickey Mantle

Very inspirational for me.
“God,”
The words rumbled:

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • Christ Enthroned
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #403 on: September 10, 2018, 03:52:34 PM »
To live without Hope is to Cease to live.-Fyodor Dostoyevsky

What is hell? I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love.-Fyodor Dostoyevsky
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #404 on: September 10, 2018, 04:52:10 PM »
Something by Rudyard Kipling
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary