OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 03:26:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I have been reading some Rob Bell recently.  (Read 1974 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2013, 03:45:07 PM »

Maybe in a few decades, the only ones who will still disapprove will be that small minority of same-sex attracted individuals who believe the traditional or scriptural teachings and embrace celibacy for themselves.  
gay marriage, in the context of american and western european politics, it's  a petty bourgeois project. that doesn't make 'scriptural/traditional teaching" true or right but puts things into some perspective.
Yep. Nobody seemed to notice that DOMA was struck down via a case where a surviving partner wanted to avoid paying 365,000$ in estate taxes on a 4.1 million dollar estate (IIRC).

"Human rights issue".
Yeah well the lesbian couples I know aren't rolling in the money. They should have the right to the inheritance that woman took, and of course went through the court system that is time consuming and expensive.

Everybody is going to grow old and die, but also it being devastating and expensive for those that are close to them.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:45:38 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2013, 09:21:58 PM »

Yeah well the lesbian couples I know aren't rolling in the money. They should have the right to the inheritance that woman took
That's my point.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2013, 07:33:27 AM »

What does all this talk of gay marriage and death benefits have to do with Rob Bell?
Daedelus1138
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2013, 08:55:25 AM »

What does all this talk of gay marriage and death benefits have to do with Rob Bell?

To be pertinent to the topic, and get away from my personal digression, Rob Bell is pro-gay, though he soft-pedals this message often, trying to engage with evangelical Christians, not secular liberals, for the most part.  He's a liberal evangelical, though they prefer to call themselves "Emergents".  Some of the stuff fellow Emergent Brian McLaren writes about is only revolutionary to fellow evangelicals, to mainline Protestants it is nothing new, and at times McLaren and Bell come across as sophomoric, but their conservative evangelical counteparts are just plain anti-intellectual.   What is new is that Emergents are bringing a zeal that liberal Protestants do not have to their religious life- they aren't afraid of enthusiasm and have some distance from secularism that liberals have tended to make peace with.

I do think there are similarities between Bell and Orthodoxy. However, there are alot of differences, too.  Many Emergents would not be warm to some of the Orthodox self-understanding, seeing it as a Constantinian narrative that distorts the message of Jesus, which they see in radical, almost Anabaptist terms, yet at the same time they are open to the spirituality of sacramental religion.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:58:57 AM by Daedelus1138 » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2013, 03:05:13 PM »

To be pertinent to the topic, and get away from my personal digression, Rob Bell is pro-gay, though he soft-pedals this message often, trying to engage with evangelical Christians, not secular liberals, for the most part.  He's a liberal evangelical, though they prefer to call themselves "Emergents".  Some of the stuff fellow Emergent Brian McLaren writes about is only revolutionary to fellow evangelicals, to mainline Protestants it is nothing new, and at times McLaren and Bell come across as sophomoric, but their conservative evangelical counteparts are just plain anti-intellectual.   What is new is that Emergents are bringing a zeal that liberal Protestants do not have to their religious life- they aren't afraid of enthusiasm and have some distance from secularism that liberals have tended to make peace with.

I do think there are similarities between Bell and Orthodoxy. However, there are alot of differences, too.  Many Emergents would not be warm to some of the Orthodox self-understanding, seeing it as a Constantinian narrative that distorts the message of Jesus, which they see in radical, almost Anabaptist terms, yet at the same time they are open to the spirituality of sacramental religion.

Meaning what?  And "open" how?

Daedelus1138
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2013, 08:01:26 PM »

Meaning what?  And "open" how?
[/quote]

Read some Rob Bell or Brian McLaren and find out?

I think McLaren in particular has a higher view of the Church and is interested in spiritual disciplines that some of the sacramental church types might view as sacramental in nature.  But he wouldn't be cool with the idea of a divinely appointed hierarchy that has exclusive access to God.   In some ways, alot of the Emergent emphasis is old hat for anybody that is familiar with Vatican II-era theology in Catholic and mainline Protestant churches, but for Emergents, alot of this stuff is new, because evangelicals have their own sort of clericalism and retrograde theology to work with.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »

narrative
Is anything not a narrative?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2013, 05:22:28 PM »

Rob Bell, as interviewed by Oprah.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Laird
Not yet able to attend an Orthodox Church

Faith: Inquirer (Catechumen soon hopefully)
Jurisdiction: Baptist

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2013, 12:52:12 AM »

"Historic Christianity"- like what would that be?  Blessing the enslavement of natives, beating wives with sticks if they displease you?  Historic Christianity has endorsed some morally dubious practices.  I think I'll take my chances without those irrational appeals to authority and tradition.   I have a conscience, after all.

Historical Christianity as in the Church that Jesus Christ Himself founded, and which is His very Body. You'll take your chances without irrational appeals to authority and tradition? Well, in that case, your going against Scripture itself (2 Thess 2:15, 2 Thess 3:6).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:00:12 AM by Laird » Logged
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: