OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 04:11:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 25,000 Dead Bumblebees in Oregon Store Parking Lot  (Read 306 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« on: June 28, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »

The blooming linden trees in the Target parking lot had been sprayed with Safari, a pesticide produced by Valent Professional Products, to protect the plants from aphid attack. However, the active ingredient in Safari was the chemical dinotefuran, an insect-killing poison chemically similar to nicotine. These nicotine-like pesticides, known as neonicotinoids kill bees, along with a wide range of other insects.

For the complete story, please visit: http://news.discovery.com/earth/plants/25000-dead-bees-in-target-parking-lot-130621.htm

Safari, RoundUp, all chemicals containing nicotinoids, neonicotinoids, and related chemicals should be banned, now, not in five years.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:46:21 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:50:23 PM »

So basically... a chemical designed to kill bugs has killed bugs, and this is outrageous. Do I have that right?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 09:53:51 PM »

So basically... a chemical designed to kill bugs has killed bugs, and this is outrageous. Do I have that right?

Not when said chemical is killing off bees, bumblebees, and all insects that serve as major pollinators for our crops.

Do you want to starve?

Come Lord Jesus and save us from ourselves.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 09:59:29 PM »

Do you want to starve?

I would prefer not to, and I'm not against seriously considering a ban on harmful substances... nonetheless...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 10:39:11 PM »

Not when said chemical is killing off bees, bumblebees, and all insects that serve as major pollinators for our crops.

Do you want to starve?

Come Lord Jesus and save us from ourselves.

Albert Einstein - "If the bee disappeared off the face of the earth, man would only have four years left to live."

Agreed Maria, this is just part of a broader bee die off.   We are designing some top bar bee hives for the farm.  I'd love to get about 10-15 hives going.   Should have raw local honey, bee pollen, propolis, and Royal Jelly.... will be incredibly nutritional for the family.... God is good, and the creation he designed is awesome.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 12:02:40 AM »

Nuts.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 12:38:06 AM »