OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:28:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Economic Hardships Contributing to Cohabitation?  (Read 1382 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2013, 01:40:00 AM »

Personally, I've always thought that the tradition of having a huge wedding which can range anywhere from $20,000-$100,000 is incredibly stupid to be honest.

Some Greek weddings reach $250,000 and have 700 guests.  These kind of weddings happen a few times a year where I live.

With all that money, wouldn't it be more prudent to instead spend it on a house, car, baby-supplies (if you plan on having children), your remaining debt or something that will actually benefit you opposed to a big stupid celebration full of people you hardly know that are only there for free alcohol?

I agree.  A decade ago, I thought about inviting poor people off the street as guests if I were to be married.  Now, I would want my sister, my nieces and nephew, my bride's parents, any siblings, nieces and nephews she may have and the sponsor - no one else with a dinner at the restaurant where my father works at after the sacrament.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2013, 01:43:04 AM »

Personally, I've always thought that the tradition of having a huge wedding which can range anywhere from $20,000-$100,000 is incredibly stupid to be honest. With all that money, wouldn't it be more prudent to instead spend it on a house, car, baby-supplies (if you plan on having children), your remaining debt or something that will actually benefit you opposed to a big stupid celebration full of people you hardly know that are only there for free alcohol?

My husband and I paid about $2000 for our wedding in 1982.
I made my own wedding dress and veil with blush.
We hired a photographer to video tape and photograph our wedding.
We did not have a ballroom with a dance as my parents were Protestants and did not want to have alcohol nor dancing. That alone cut the costs.
One of our friends owned a mansion in the foothills where we had a fantastic dinner reception for all the guests.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:43:58 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2013, 09:25:07 AM »

Nope. Executives would no longer receive extravagant bonuses for exploiting the workers an the labor they produce. Do away with serving the shareholders.

Are you relying on the Underwear Gnomes for this or are there going to be some steps in between that need to be fleshed out?
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2013, 10:10:15 AM »

What difference does it make? If anything, wouldn't marriage benefit them even more because they get tax deductions? I think people cohabit because they are afraid of committment and divorce, selfish and want the freedom to leave whenever things get rocky and don't have to share their assets. My parents may have fornicated and had me pretty young, but they still married the moment they turned 18.

Just a minor addition.

LOL

I know it's pretty wrong, but when I went to Protestant School, I remember all the middle aged wealthy people used to tell us how it's so bad to rush into marriage when you are a teenager or to get pregnant as a teenager, and I always took it as a personal insult to me and my parents. But then, most of those people now are still divorced whereas my parents are still married. I laughed in many of those peoples' faces after their marriages failed.  Grin

Huh

Really??  Why on earth would you have done that? (I honestly hope the smiley you put there means you were joking!)

And then you go and say something quite intelligent and reasonable:
Personally, I've always thought that the tradition of having a huge wedding which can range anywhere from $20,000-$100,000 is incredibly stupid to be honest. With all that money, wouldn't it be more prudent to instead spend it on a house, car, baby-supplies (if you plan on having children), your remaining debt or something that will actually benefit you opposed to a big stupid celebration full of people you hardly know that are only there for free alcohol?

Go figure.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2013, 10:43:52 AM »

My husband and I paid about $2000 for our wedding in 1982.
I made my own wedding dress and veil with blush.
We hired a photographer to video tape and photograph our wedding.
We did not have a ballroom with a dance as my parents were Protestants and did not want to have alcohol nor dancing. That alone cut the costs.
One of our friends owned a mansion in the foothills where we had a fantastic dinner reception for all the guests.
Indeed, there's absolutely no need for the huge, massively expensive weddings that people seem to think is 'required' now. The argument 'I can't afford to marry' is bizarre. My wedding cost about £500 (and I borrowed that from the bank, which was quite amusing when I was met by the whole, "Do you know how much weddings cost?" speech from the manager) back in 2001. Now admittedly we were married in Romania which was much cheaper than here, but that £500 included my brother's flight (he was a student at the time) so you can probably tell that the wedding was hardly extravagant.

If you just want to save money sharing a house is surely just as cost effective as cohabiting, and surely the sex of those sharing is an irrelevance? Not sure if I'm reading things into the thread but I got the impression that people seemed to think the only options were same sex sharing, cohabiting or marriage. Back when I was working in the psychiatric hospital I shared a house with four girls quite successfully. Everyone had their own rooms and there was no bed hopping or anything of that sort, it was just an economic arrangement and it was no different than sharing with other boys (except that it was tidier and likely smelled better) and saved us an awful lot of money.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »

James.  YES.  spot on
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

Faith: Old Rite Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Metr. Kornilii of Russia

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2013, 11:38:51 PM »

But how is cohabitating less costly then being married? Same house, same two people, same bills.
If anything, wouldn't marriage benefit them even more because they get tax deductions?
Concur with both.  Civil marriage is generally both an economic and social status advantage.  Even the sodomites are keenly aware of this.

...From a worldly perspective, I'm "successful", but using that same justification, most of my co-workers are not.  Retail is considered a "low wage, low skill" environment. Playing its employees $10/hour, a store rarely gives its employees full-time (40 hours) status; typically it's around 25-40% of its work force, while most receive 25-32 hours a week. Given the economic climate, many educated individuals have turned to the retail industry for work. But, with bills to pay and rising living expenses, young adults are turning towards ... It's very easy to say, "Leave it all up to God," because as frail men we are prone to doubt and fear, as well as our own temptations and desires.

It's not possible for a single person to work at minimum wage getting 20-30 hrs a week and be able to pay rent for their own apartment, own their own car (payments if necessary, gas, maintenance, insurance), buy their own food, and pay for electricity. That's not counting any telephone (home or cell) service, internet service, health care, or unexpected expenses that may come up.
EDIT: That's not counting being in a situation where one is between jobs.
From a free medieval peasant who owns his own land to a landless proletariat to the future slave, capitalism is the road to slavery

The welfare state or welfare company is merely the phase which confirms the dependence of the lower class upon the owning class. 
Society is manipulated into destitution and offered relief on condition of acquiescence to subtle forms of slavery.
Smart Card
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqDRhf1UpvE
Tags: Roommates  Cohabitation  marriage  economy  economic hardship 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: