OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 04:55:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What jurisdiction would the other planets/moons/asteroids be under?  (Read 1067 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2013, 02:46:54 PM »

That's why you create a static time-warp bubble around your vessel to prevent that.  Don't you watch Star Trek?  Sheesh!

You gotta be careful monkeying with that stuff though. Can be dangerous.

Also, this thread needs more ST, therefore I will link to the best beginning of a Star Trek episode ever. First time I saw that my mind was blown.

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2013, 02:52:56 PM »

If a Vulcan does a mind meld on me so that I forget the teachings of the Church, does God hold me responsible for this? How would one go about confessing such a sin?

Oh, come on. If a Vulcan met you he'd probably do the "Vulcan Death Grip" on you (cf. "Enterprise Incident" Season 3)

I have always been very kind to the Vulcans I come in contact with. Sure we have the occasional disagreement in which I am subjected to a mind meld, but we have a strict rule against death grips.  They make intergalatic friendships a bit too tense.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »

I was disconnected yesterday when replying to another topic about the possibility of Intelligent alien life in the universe. They were arguing against the possibility of other intelligent life because of there being no mention of them in the Bible.

The issue is no different than what most people believed, that we were the center of the Universe, or that everything revolved around us.
Also there was no knowledge of Dinosaurs or much of the life that exists today.

The Bible is not a scientific roadmap of our universe, nor does it need be.We always stumble when we insist we know things about our world which are not what the Bible is about. Galileo, who is a prime example of the churches mishandling of scripture, once said "the Bible is about how to go to heaven, not how the heavens go".

There is a formula for figuring the odds of intelligent Life in our galaxy which has the ability like us to communicate at some point in the future .

The Drake equation is:

where:

N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible (i.e. which are on our current past light cone);
and
R* = the average number of star formation per year in our galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fl = the fraction of planets that could support life that actually develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of planets with life that actually go on to develop intelligent life (civilizations)
fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space[8]

This is used by the SETI institute in their search for intelligent Life near us in our own galaxy. The problem in doing this is that even the nearest star, Alpha Centauri is 4.5 light years away, so radio waves which travel at the speed of light would take 4.5 years one way. Of course this is possible, but unlikely that their is life that close or we would have heard something. Our own planet has been transmitting only for about 75 years, as all radio or TV broadcasts that are sent  automatically move away from earth at the speed of light. So that means any planet within 75 light years could hear us, but it would take another 75 if they tried to contact us back.

But the real issue in this is that our Galaxy the Milky Way is 100 thousand light years wide, so if we wanted to talk with someone on the other side of our galaxy it would take 100 thousand years each way. And most of the stars we see in our galaxy are 100s of light years away. So this is worse than finding a needle in a haystack .

But when you want to say that we are the only Life, Intelligent or otherwise in the universe, the incredible size is what makes that unlikely.

There are Billions of stars in our galaxy. A person cannot even ever count to one billion even if that is all you did all your life, so the numbers are staggering. Then we must accept that there are Billions of other galaxies, all of which are huge , some much larger than ours. And so the odds of Intelligent life in our galaxy let alone billion of others is very likely, if not absolute.

God loves us all, and he is in charge of this Universe, possibly other Universes as well, but we should humbe ourselves, and not act as if we are his only creations.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2013, 08:32:49 PM »

I was disconnected yesterday when replying to another topic about the possibility of Intelligent alien life in the universe. They were arguing against the possibility of other intelligent life because of there being no mention of them in the Bible.

The issue is no different than what most people believed, that we were the center of the Universe, or that everything revolved around us.
Also there was no knowledge of Dinosaurs or much of the life that exists today.

The Bible is not a scientific roadmap of our universe, nor does it need be.We always stumble when we insist we know things about our world which are not what the Bible is about. Galileo, who is a prime example of the churches mishandling of scripture, once said "the Bible is about how to go to heaven, not how the heavens go".

There is a formula for figuring the odds of intelligent Life in our galaxy which has the ability like us to communicate at some point in the future .

The Drake equation is:

where:

N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible (i.e. which are on our current past light cone);
and
R* = the average number of star formation per year in our galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fl = the fraction of planets that could support life that actually develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of planets with life that actually go on to develop intelligent life (civilizations)
fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space[8]

This is used by the SETI institute in their search for intelligent Life near us in our own galaxy. The problem in doing this is that even the nearest star, Alpha Centauri is 4.5 light years away, so radio waves which travel at the speed of light would take 4.5 years one way. Of course this is possible, but unlikely that their is life that close or we would have heard something. Our own planet has been transmitting only for about 75 years, as all radio or TV broadcasts that are sent  automatically move away from earth at the speed of light. So that means any planet within 75 light years could hear us, but it would take another 75 if they tried to contact us back.

But the real issue in this is that our Galaxy the Milky Way is 100 thousand light years wide, so if we wanted to talk with someone on the other side of our galaxy it would take 100 thousand years each way. And most of the stars we see in our galaxy are 100s of light years away. So this is worse than finding a needle in a haystack .

But when you want to say that we are the only Life, Intelligent or otherwise in the universe, the incredible size is what makes that unlikely.

There are Billions of stars in our galaxy. A person cannot even ever count to one billion even if that is all you did all your life, so the numbers are staggering. Then we must accept that there are Billions of other galaxies, all of which are huge , some much larger than ours. And so the odds of Intelligent life in our galaxy let alone billion of others is very likely, if not absolute.

God loves us all, and he is in charge of this Universe, possibly other Universes as well, but we should humbe ourselves, and not act as if we are his only creations.

But what if the dinosaurs were really aliens and they are coming back to wreck vengeance on us for messing up their planet?  *mind blown*

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2013, 08:50:39 PM »

We don't have a prayer? Wink

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2013, 10:43:46 PM »

Well I guess it would be hard to have burning incense, candles, and other things in space.

Frankly speaking, I think mankind is going to do himself in, or the world will end before we become that technologically advanced.
Icons travel quite fine in space.

veneration is easy too.
I'm sure bibles travel well too.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2013, 12:24:12 AM »

I have always been very kind to the Vulcans I come in contact with. Sure we have the occasional disagreement in which I am subjected to a mind meld, but we have a strict rule against death grips.  They make intergalatic friendships a bit too tense.
If a Vulcan visited the United States, would (s)he owe taxes if (s)he stayed more than a year?
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2013, 12:29:29 AM »

If we made a lunar colony and made a church, who would have legitimate jurisdiction?

Would we have Russian and Greek churches both claiming jurisdiction? After all, it would be churches made by immigrants, and if they are Russians they would want to be under the Russian church! but then Americans would be there too, and say it is under the patriarchate of Constantinople!

and then Jerusalem would claim one of the Antioch's asteroids as being theirs!

<3

Thanks for this. I hope to read the thread later. I hope the geniuses around here picked up your brilliant baton in a proper manner! <------------Not irony people.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2013, 12:31:47 AM »

Would services be longer, given different lengths of 'daytime' off Earth?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2013, 12:40:40 AM »

To avoid the appearance of scandal, right-believing travelers by the stars ought to refer to the first four planets by the corresponding names:

St. John the Baptist (Mercury in pagan/papist terminology)
St. Mary Magdalene (Venus in pagan/papist terminology)
Yis, followed by a zealous defense of the Etos Kosmou (Earth in pagan/papist/secularist terminology)
St. George (Mars in pagan/papist terminology)

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2013, 12:45:48 AM »

Would services be longer, given different lengths of 'daytime' off Earth?
Good question.  The day on Jupiter is about 5 hours, so a Russian Liturgy would last about a day.  Wink
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2013, 07:57:45 PM »

If a Vulcan visited the United States, would (s)he owe taxes if (s)he stayed more than a year?

More accurately we would owe them taxes for signing us up to the Federation of Planets.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2013, 08:01:29 PM »

What if our first contact experience was with the Klingons?  Shocked

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2013, 08:06:51 PM »

What if our first contact experience was with the Klingons?  Shocked

Get ready for some harsh-sounding chant.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2013, 08:32:29 PM »

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2013, 12:39:19 PM »

Armenian moons. Has a ring to it.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2013, 12:44:53 PM »

Or Georgian.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2013, 12:50:40 PM »

And so it begins...

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: