OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 02:53:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Of Apostles and Armenia  (Read 758 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« on: June 26, 2013, 11:06:43 PM »

So I came across this page: http://www.armenianchurch-ed.net/feasts/the-holy-apostles/st-bartholomew/

Following the crucifixion of Christ, Bartholomew traveled the world preaching the Lord's message, performing miracles, and baptizing the new believers.  He made his way to Armenia under the direction of apostle Thomas, who wanted him to continue the work of Thaddeus.

According to (our) tradition, Thaddeus (Addai) was a "disciple" of Thomas, sent by him to King Abgar with the Mandylion (supposedly the Lord wanted to send Thomas himself, but he didn't want to go, so he sent Thaddeus...Thomas didn't want to go to India either...I wonder if he wanted to go anywhere! Smiley).  I knew that Bartholomew brought the gospel to northern India sometime before making his way to Armenia, but this is the first time I'm seeing any hint of a direct link between Thomas and Bartholomew, and for it to be Thomas who sent him to Armenia was interesting.  Once his doubts were resolved, it seems Thomas was on fire, bringing the gospel to Persia and India, but it seems his work extended indirectly to Armenia and Edessa. 

What traditions does the Armenian Church preserve regarding SS Bartholomew, Thaddeus, and Thomas? 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 07:33:26 PM »

Usually I just hear of Sts. Thaddeus and Bartholomew evangelizing Armenia.  This is the first I have heard of a connection to St. Thomas.  Interesting.   Smiley

Tags: Armenian Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: