OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 02:55:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not having children  (Read 2742 times) Average Rating: 0
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2013, 05:43:21 PM »

I think having kids is the best way to learn selflessness.  
Also tribalism.
Which pretty much describes the ethnic juridical mess of Orthodox in America. Parishioners don't seem keen on removing their country out of their Orthodoxy.

Have you seen the let's-take-back-Constantinople thread? I was asphixiating watching all of the convert Greek nationalists.

You know you have a problem when^
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2013, 10:56:02 PM »

I had two relatives that never had kids because they didn't want it to interfere with their hobbies and ability to travel. Both of them were very selfish people in general.  I think having kids is the best way to learn selflessness.  Not that I am great at being selfless, but looking back at my life before kids, I was incredibly self-absorbed.

This post has so much wisdom...

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
converted viking

« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2013, 11:00:25 PM »

I don't know, but I feel like attacking the high horse that parents with kids like to stand on. You always act as if you are doing some grand, selfless act for the world by bearing children and raising them, accusing those who choose not to have children of being "selfish," but, what does it matter? You are not doing the world a favor at all by having children; in fact, you're just further draining the world of its resources and allowing another kid to be stuck in an orphanage for a longer time. No one is forcing you to have children and no one is getting hurt by your not having children. Step off and pull yourself out of your stupid persecuted person complex. You only had children for your own selfish reasons; you aren't helping anyone else by having them.

You are a selfish self absorbed brat.

Viking
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2013, 11:23:50 PM »

Cue those who exalt monasticism above married life in 3....2....

To be fair, anyone quoting the Church Fathers--excepting one or two cherry-picked quotes from St. John Chrysostom, and ignoring what he says elsewhere--will have no choice other than to go that route...

You have to be ignoring a lot of Church Fathers and a lot of lives of the Saints to give this statement...
Sts. Gregory and Nonna, Sts. Basil and Emelia (gave birth to 4 saints), St. Spyridon, St. John the Merciful (Pope of Alexandria), and that is only a few examples from among the hieratic Saints. 
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: