OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 07:01:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Divine Liturgy of Serapion Celebrated For the First Time  (Read 1345 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: June 26, 2013, 11:08:29 AM »

It looks like not only WRO are LARP-ing.

On Sunday, June 16, 2013 all those who attended the Liturgy in the Sacred Church of Panagia Myrtidiotissa lived a moment of devoutness, on the occasion of the celebration of the, until then unknown to many, ancient Divine Liturgy of one of the Holy Fathers of the holy and sacred Synods, Bishop Serapion of Thmuis.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 11:46:31 AM »

Another versus populum liturgy? Intersting. Never heard of this one before though.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 11:52:14 AM »

"Lived a moment of devoutness"...such phrases are cute.  

While I think occasions such as these are interesting from a liturgical point of view, and I don't really have a problem with the use of different rites, it bothers me when they celebrate these "unknown" Liturgies facing the people.  Is that actually called for in the rubrics of such rites?  Facing East for worship is an ancient custom of Christianity, and yet it is these unknown, ancient Liturgies which Greeks end up celebrating facing West, while the entire church building they are celebrated in was designed for eastward worship.  Is it just an excuse to do anything you want?  "Hey, here's a manuscript of the Liturgy of Epiphanios of Salamis, we'll need some clowns..."?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 12:05:14 PM »

While I think occasions such as these are interesting from a liturgical point of view, and I don't really have a problem with the use of different rites, it bothers me when they celebrate these "unknown" Liturgies facing the people.  Is that actually called for in the rubrics of such rites?  Facing East for worship is an ancient custom of Christianity, and yet it is these unknown, ancient Liturgies which Greeks end up celebrating facing West, while the entire church building they are celebrated in was designed for eastward worship.  Is it just an excuse to do anything you want?  "Hey, here's a manuscript of the Liturgy of Epiphanios of Salamis, we'll need some clowns..."?

The Liturgy of St. James in EO practice is also versus populum I think. Not sure about the rubrics of either.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 12:10:04 PM »

The only time I saw an EO celebration of the James Liturgy, it was ad orientem.  But that was in an OCA cathedral.  Certainly, we don't celebrate James versus populum.  I'd love to see a rubric if it exists, but for now I really think this is a matter of Greeks resurrecting old Liturgies for Show and Tell, and versus populum lends itself to Show and Tell.  I wish they'd just do it the right way.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 12:33:48 PM »

The only time I saw an EO celebration of the James Liturgy, it was ad orientem.  But that was in an OCA cathedral.  Certainly, we don't celebrate James versus populum.  I'd love to see a rubric if it exists, but for now I really think this is a matter of Greeks resurrecting old Liturgies for Show and Tell, and versus populum lends itself to Show and Tell.  I wish they'd just do it the right way.
Your altars aren't free-standing either so that would pose more technical difficulties than when you have a free standing altar.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 12:36:36 PM »

The Liturgy of St. James in EO practice is also versus populum I think. Not sure about the rubrics of either.

The Liturgy of St. James is facing the people during the readings and returns to east orientation after just like the Sts. John and Basil varieties.

Joseph
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 12:43:32 PM »

Your altars aren't free-standing either so that would pose more technical difficulties than when you have a free standing altar.

You are wrong, our altars are free-standing.  The only ones I've ever seen that were pushed up against the wall were "side altars" and those in churches too small to accommodate a free-standing altar without sacrificing space in the nave for the people.   

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 12:52:39 PM »

Back to the original topic...

These ancient liturgies are interesting studies, but I do have a serious problem when we try and resurrect something that has been dead for over 1000 years. It gets especially dicey when you really study the words of some of these text. While 99% of the text may be great, there are thoughts that are expressed in some of these text that may border on heresy. I personally love the liturgical text of Melito of Sardis, but I would never dream of using it in a liturgical context.

I find us Orthodox doing this to be playing with the Liturgy when we try and recreate. As far as I am concerned there are 6 Eastern Liturgies that have stood the test of time (John, Basil, James, Gregory the Great, Gregory the Theologian, and Mark) that have proper place to be served.  

Joseph
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 01:00:47 PM »

You are wrong, our altars are free-standing.  The only ones I've ever seen that were pushed up against the wall were "side altars" and those in churches too small to accommodate a free-standing altar without sacrificing space in the nave for the people.   
I went to an Indian Syrian church-on Naragansett st. in Chicago a  more that 10 yrs ago an they didn't have a free standing altar. So i assumed that was the rule. 
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 01:22:38 PM »

I find us Orthodox doing this to be playing with the Liturgy when we try and recreate. As far as I am concerned there are 6 Eastern Liturgies that have stood the test of time (John, Basil, James, Gregory the Great, Gregory the Theologian, and Mark) that have proper place to be served.  

Gregory the Theologian and Mark?  Which are those and who has used them continuously? 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 01:27:17 PM »

I went to an Indian Syrian church-on Naragansett st. in Chicago a  more that 10 yrs ago an they didn't have a free standing altar. So i assumed that was the rule. 

Well, I hope you enjoyed your visit.  Smiley

Perhaps that church was one of those where the size of the building itself was a factor.  Generally, our altars are free-standing, as you have to be able to circumambulate.  There is a way to do things without being able to walk around the altar, of course, but that's exceptional and not normative.  There are EO altars I've seen (e.g., photos of certain chapels in monasteries) where the altar is against the wall.  Liturgy may well be served in those places, with, I imagine, certain adaptations being made to accommodate that situation.     

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 02:51:50 PM »

Gregory the Theologian and Mark?  Which are those and who has used them continuously? 

The Liturgies of St. Gregory the Theologian and St. Mark are both still used in Alexandrian, Cyprus, and some monastic communities in Northern Greece. The Liturgy of St. Gregory the Theologian is almost word for word the same one the Coptics use by the same name. I have never seen a text for the Byzantine Liturgy of St. Mark, but my understanding from people who have spent time in Alexandria where it is done a different times throughout the year, it is very different from the Coptic version.

Cyprus is sort of the Orthodox time capsule for Orthodox Liturgy. For some reason many practices that fell out of use still exist on the island.

Joseph
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 08:38:50 PM »

Very interesting, thanks!  Looks like I need to plan a vacation...

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 10:55:55 PM »

They are served in the Great City of Alexandria, by Alexandrians for whom the sun rises.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 01:14:15 AM »

What sort of harm is everyone seeing in resurrecting the Liturgy of Saint Serapion, or other examples, like newer churches building pro-iconostases like one would see in the Cathedral of Holy Wisdom?   

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 01:22:40 AM »

They are served in the Great City of Alexandria, by Alexandrians for whom the sun rises.
Damned straight.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 08:36:44 AM »

They are served in the Great City of Alexandria, by Alexandrians for whom ONLY the sun rises.

There, fixed it.  Grin

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 12:17:16 AM »

I've only been to the Byzantine Rite's version of St. James' Divine Liturgy in an Antiochian Orthodox church and while there were a couple of things that had me wondering whether rubrics or the parish's Anglicanesque past were informing what was going on, the service was ad orientem.

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: