OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:39:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Openly Gay Orthodox Priest ”God And Being Gay"  (Read 656 times) Average Rating: 0
Nephi
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« on: June 25, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »

I am Father Gerrit – an openly gay Orthodox Priest. Please, before anyone gets upset – sexuality is not an issue in our church, and I am not breaking any vows by being gay. We are allowed to have relationships and participate in sexually expression of our love to our mate, just as any Orthodox Priest can. The difference is, our church doesn’t care if those relationships are hetero, or homosexual, as long as they are loving and committed (we can not have casual sexual expression).

[...]

The two most important things for you to come away from this article with are:

1. You are gay, straight or bi-sexual, because that is the way God made you, and God doesn’t make mistakes!!!

2. Every behavior in you Life must only be Loving!!! God only has Love for you, and has Blessed you! You must do the same – LOVE YOURSELF, AS GOD LOVES YOU!

I don't really intend this thread to be on the topic of hashing out homosexuality (there is plenty of that elsewhere). What I'm curious to know is if this is a legitimate Orthodox priest and if he does really have a pro-homosexual bishop?

It was published about two years ago, and the website source is Canadian. I cannot find any other discussion on this article outside of a pro-gay Orthodox group on Facebook.

Liberalochian: Ecumenism Lite™
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 01:53:38 PM »

Arius claimed to have been an Orthodox Christian, right?

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »

What an odd writing structure.

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 01:58:21 PM »

It's one thing to be a Homosexual, an Orthodox Christian and a priest and it's whole another thing to be as stupid as that writing was. What a load of crap.

Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 01:58:47 PM »

I found the same text as a blog entry from 2006. I couldn't find any mention of a Fr. Gerrit in an Orthodox or vagante-orthodox group using google. *shrugs*

EDIT--My favorite part:

You may argue: “In my Bible, they use the word “homosexual” in many parts of the New Testament. This is interesting, because the word and concept were only invented 100 years ago by Sigmund Fraud – yet the Bible was written 2,250 years ago. And the word that is now translated as “homosexual” was translated as “masturbator”, until 1920 AD – and we certainly know masturbation is not limited to homosexual.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:59:47 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 01:59:44 PM »

What I'm curious to know is if this is a legitimate Orthodox priest and if he does really have a pro-homosexual bishop?

If he really ever was an Orthodox priest, I wouldn't be surprised if such declarations have cost him his position since 2011.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Nephi
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 02:08:16 PM »

What I'm curious to know is if this is a legitimate Orthodox priest and if he does really have a pro-homosexual bishop?

If he really ever was an Orthodox priest, I wouldn't be surprised if such declarations have cost him his position since 2011.

Well, if he actually was an Orthodox priest, he apparently has his bishop's (implicit) support:

Our Bishop, after making a life-long study of the Bible in its original language and culture (his family was from the Middle East “Lebanon”), realized that Jesus never speaks of sexuality, and for that matter, neither does the Bible in any place! Yes, your translation may speak about it, but the Bible, as it was written and understood, never mentioned, nor even implied anything about sexuality in the Aramaic original!

Therefore, our church does not consider sexuality a “church or religious issue”, any more than the color of someone’s skin.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:09:18 PM by Nephi » Logged

Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 02:11:16 PM »

Pretty sure this is a troll job. If it isn't it should be, cause it's great.

Also, why do I have the sudden urge to do an image search for Boxxy?
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 02:14:02 PM »

I found the same text as a blog entry from 2006. I couldn't find any mention of a Fr. Gerrit in an Orthodox or vagante-orthodox group using google. *shrugs*

EDIT--My favorite part:

You may argue: “In my Bible, they use the word “homosexual” in many parts of the New Testament. This is interesting, because the word and concept were only invented 100 years ago by Sigmund Fraud – yet the Bible was written 2,250 years ago. And the word that is now translated as “homosexual” was translated as “masturbator”, until 1920 AD – and we certainly know masturbation is not limited to homosexual.

I take issue with the bolded portion.

If you are a guy and masturbating, you are having sex with yourself, a guy. It is homosexual^2.

Same goes for women I guess, it just seems less gay. So maybe homosexual+2.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 02:15:47 PM »

EDIT--My favorite part:

I didn't notice this when I first read through, but Sigmund FRAUD? Has to be intentional.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 02:16:39 PM »

EDIT--My favorite part:

I didn't notice this when I first read through, but Sigmund FRAUD? Has to be intentional.

No, 'twas merely a fraudian slip.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 02:19:12 PM »

Really, I would have pointed out along the way that Freud means gay in German. No wonder he invented the whole homosexual thing.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »

I am Father Gerrit – an openly gay Orthodox Priest.

God doesn’t make mistakes!!!

I never get tired of reading the above. I have no context for it, so I can only laugh.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:23:20 PM by orthonorm » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 02:27:57 PM »

Well, if he actually was an Orthodox priest, he apparently has his bishop's (implicit) support:

Our Bishop, after making a life-long study of the Bible in its original language and culture (his family was from the Middle East “Lebanon”), realized that Jesus never speaks of sexuality, and for that matter, neither does the Bible in any place! Yes, your translation may speak about it, but the Bible, as it was written and understood, never mentioned, nor even implied anything about sexuality in the Aramaic original!

Therefore, our church does not consider sexuality a “church or religious issue”, any more than the color of someone’s skin.
No, he claimed to have his bishop's implicit support.  But then he claimed that the Bible was originally written in Aramaic, so we know his grip of facts is loose.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 02:31:10 PM »

EDIT--My favorite part:

If you are a guy and masturbating, you are having sex with yourself, a guy. It is homosexual^2.

Doesn't matter.  Masturbation doesn't appear in any translation of the Bible before 1920 AD.

His "translation" of Leviticus leaves much to be desired as well. This is response is interestng:
"Notice, it doesn't simply say: "No man shall have sex with another man", and it specifically refers to a man acting "as a woman". If they were talking about sexuality, why didn't they just say: "No man shall have sex with another man", and skip all this "couch of love-making" and "as a woman" stuff? "

ok, so this stigmatizes trans-women while supporting the rights of gay men...

interestingly the theocracy in iran has implimented the opposite!

Iran's Transsexual Revolution
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:33:27 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 02:34:23 PM »

No, he claimed to have his bishop's implicit support.  But then he claimed that the Bible was originally written in Aramaic, so we know his grip of facts is loose.

You're right. I meant "apparently" to emphasize that I was being tentative, but it didn't come across well.

Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 03:59:33 PM »

I think the word in question with respect to self abuse is translated as "effeminate". I once had an old monk who had lived many years in the middle-east tell me that "effeminate" is a euphemism in that region…and supposedly in the cultures addressed in the NT….for self abuse.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »

I think the word in question with respect to self abuse is translated as "effeminate". I once had an old monk who had lived many years in the middle-east tell me that "effeminate" is a euphemism in that region…and supposedly in the cultures addressed in the NT….for self abuse.

Self abuse, like cutting?

Or are by self abuse are you referring the peculiar dysphemism used around here for masturbation?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:21:54 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 04:25:22 PM »

Sooo…you've seen self mutilation brought up in this discussion so far?  Me neither.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 04:29:38 PM »

Sooo…you've seen self mutilation brought up in this discussion so far?  Me neither.

I haven't seen self abuse brought up either. Except by you.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 05:00:05 PM »

I think the word in question with respect to self abuse is translated as "effeminate". I once had an old monk who had lived many years in the middle-east tell me that "" is a euphemism in that region…and supposedly in the cultures addressed in the NT….for self abuse.
No.  The word in Koine for a catamite, μαλακός, has become the Modern Greek term for masturbator.  But it hadn't done that until around 600 AD or so.  And it never was a euphemism in the Middle East, in any language I know (and I know a couple), for masturbator.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »

Or are by self abuse are you referring the peculiar dysphemism used around here for masturbation?
Yeah.  I hear "self abuse," and this is what I think of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7pioagkX5k
WARNING NUDITY

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 09:20:40 PM »

He also claims to be called Fr. Gerritt. Whoever heard of an Orthodox priest with that name?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 09:33:51 PM »

Whoever heard of an Orthodox priest with that name?

AOCOB didn't.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 03:03:09 AM »

EDIT--My favorite part:

Nah.

Sex is all in the mind.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: