OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 01:00:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: terrible News I read about Orthodox Church in ISTANBUL  (Read 3291 times) Average Rating: 0
byzboy84

« on: January 24, 2005, 11:12:20 PM »

This is terrible. I cant believe Orthodox Christians would do such a thing to protect the Church. Check out this article i found from a search engine on a Protestant New Website called Worthy News. Let us pray for our fellow bother and sister Orthodox Christians doing these terrible acts of Satan just to protect the Christian Christ from Protestants. "Love one another has i have Loved you"- Christ

I wasnt sure if this was even true. I emailed the site to see what year this happened in.
Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy!

Worthy News: http://www.worthynews.com/news-features-3/ethiopian-evangelical-killed.html

Ethiopian Evangelical Killed by Orthodox Church Mob

Local Police Fail to Respond During Attack

by Barbara G. Baker

ISTANBUL, August 2 (Compass) -- A mob of Orthodox Church members led by priests attacked and killed an evangelical Christian pastor in his home two weeks ago in Merawi, a town in northwestern Ethiopia.

According to an Ethiopian evangelical who visited Merawi on July 21, Brother Dantew was fatally injured on the evening of July 17, several hours after he had asked for police protection for his church’s new property and its members.

A teacher by profession, Dantew was the leading elder in Merawi’s Full Gospel Church. Last May, authorities allocated land to the congregation for a church compound.

But when the congregation started to fence their new property on July 15, local Orthodox Church leaders reacted violently. That evening, a mob came and tore down the fence the church had built. Dantew informed the police and applied for their protection in writing. The next day they started constructing the fence again.

A night later, priests from the Mecha Wored Orthodox Church organized a larger, agitated mob to attack the compound; the attackers dismantled the fence and a storeroom on the property. Dantew sent messengers to the local police station for help. Oddly, they found it unmanned.

By 9 p.m. that night, the evangelicals had fled to their homes, which they locked and barricaded after hearing gun shots. “We were hoping that the police would come to our rescue,” said some of the evangelicals. “But it did not happen.”

A half hour later, eyewitnesses said, a large mob surrounded Dantew’s house, throwing stones and breaking down the fence and main gate. They smashed the doors, tore windows out of their frames and even dismantled the roof.

When Dantew’s wife, Tsige, was hit in the face by a stone, he begged her to try to escape from the house, which she managed to do. When the attackers got inside, they assaulted Dantew, finally felling him with an axe blow to the head. This left him bleeding from a gaping wound.

Dantew’s two teenage sons, 15 and 17, hid under the bed with a woman servant. When the attackers discovered them and wanted to beat them, the Orthodox priest directing the attack ordered them not to harm them, reportedly saying, “We want only the main leader.”

The attackers ransacked the house, stealing or smashing everything, then left guards behind to prevent anyone from rescuing Dantew through the night. This included a neighboring doctor who asked to treat his injuries.

The house servant was allowed to leave, but Dantew’s two sons spent the night in the same room with their dying father. When the guards left the next morning, Dantew was alive, but very weak. He died mid-morning on July 18 while his wife was taking him to the hospital.

The homes of eight other evangelical families also came under attack that night, which left their furniture and belongings destroyed. A believer identified as Melkamu was hospitalized from a severe beating with axes and sticks. His wife broke her left leg jumping from the fence around their compound while attempting to escape. The next morning, some 50 evangelicals fled to Bahir Dar, 25 miles away, to take refuge in the Full Gospel Church there.

Local police who failed to intervene in the attack later declared that the situation was “beyond their capacity,” the visiting source said. Reinforcements summoned from Bahir Dar only arrived mid-morning on July 18, after the incident was over.

Full Gospel Church leaders requested a formal investigation into the attack by Bahir Dar authorities, resulting in the arrest of some 40 Orthodox Church members, including six priests. Three of the priests were identified as Melake Selam, Merigeta Bekatu and Meriget Addis.

Some 60 miles northwest of the capital Addis Ababa, Merawi has two evangelical churches -- the Meserete Kirstos Church and the Full Gospel Church.

Since Protestant activities began in the area in 1987, both churches have faced growing persecution from the majority Orthodox Church leadership, who consider them a heretical sect and call them derisively “Pentes,” or Pentecostals.

“Persecution has happened sporadically, by means of beatings, robbery and social isolation,” one evangelical believer said.

Over the past 40 years, Protestant Ethiopians have grown rapidly from less than 200,000 to 12 million, nearly 20 percent of the population.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 11:13:32 PM by byzboy84 » Logged
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 11:55:10 PM »

http://www.persecution.org/Countries/ethiopia.html

Some history:

March 7, 2003 - Two Christians being held in connection with the shooting of an Orthodox man were acquitted and finally released from police custody (see below). Kiros Meles and Abebayeh Desalegn have been reunited with their families. (Compass Direct)

February 21, 2003 - Two evangelical Christians continue to be held without official charges in connection with the shooting of an Orthodox young man (see April 22, 2002 below). Prosecutors seem to be stalling as the case has been postponed 13 times already. It is believed that local police are trying to cover up the guilt of an off-duty police officer who witnesses say fired the shot. Even the parents of the deceased young man have said that Kiros Meles and Abebayeh Desalegn are innocent. According to Ethiopian law, the men should be released since no formal charges have been brought against them. (Compass Direct)

July 17, 2002 - In Merawi, the northwestern part of Ethiopia, an evangelical Christian pastor, Brother Dantew, was attacked and killed by a mob of Orthodox Church members led by priests. The riot was in protest of the Merawi's Full Gospel Church securing property and building a church. Dantew's wife, Tsige, was hit in the face with a stone but managed to escape. Dantew was assaulted and finally struck down with the blow of an axe to his head. His sons were imprisoned in the house with their dying father all night. Dantew died while his wife was taking him to the hospital the next morning. Eight other church member's homes were attacked. One member, Melkamu, was hospitalized after being severely beaten with axes and sticks. His wife broke her leg after jumping the fence to escape. (Compass Direct)

April 22, 2002 - Five evangelical churches were attacked in the town of Maychew after local police attempted to investigate an Orthodox priest accused of stirring up hatred against Protestants. The priest, believing evangelicals were behind the investigation, led an angry mob to attack the churches, seriously damaging and looting them. In the confusion a shot was fired which killed an Orthodox Church member. A policeman is believed to have fired the shot. However, Pastor Kiros Meles was arrested, supposedly for his own protection. He was later told he was a suspect in the murder. Then on May 10, another evangelical Christian, Abebayeh Desalegn was arrested in connection with the murder. Neither have been officially charged with any crime. (Compass)

March 7, 2002 - Two churches near Wello were destroyed by a militant Muslim mob, which also attacked church members. During the same week a Muslim convert was attacked and hospitalized. He has received death threats since helping to translate the Bible into a tribal language. (VOM)

February 15, 2002 - The government destroyed a church in Agressa after Muslim demands that revenge be taken for American attacks in Afghanistan. Three church leaders, Hanna Bekelle, Solomon Worku and Zewdnesh Bekele, were arrested. (VOM)

January 19, 2001 - A riot between Muslims and Christians broke out after Christians reportedly entered a mosque and disrupted the service. Armed forces who were called in to control the crowd shot and killed at least five people. Over a hundred people were eventually arrested and charged with disturbing the peace, inflicting bodily harm, and destruction of property.

February 1999 - Ethiopian Orthodox church members threw stones at the building where a Seventh-Day Adventist minister was holding a service.

1998 - Orthodox individuals acted to prevent the construction of a Protestant Church in Agaro.

1997 - In two separate incidents in Debre Zeit and Arba Minch, Orthodox Christians disrupted Pentecostal revivals, inflicting injuries and destroying property.
Prisoners: Kiros Meles and Abebayeh

http://www.persecution.org/newsite/index.php
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 11:58:12 PM by TomS » Logged
byzboy84

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 12:00:03 AM »

I dont understand why the OCs are so violent.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 12:09:30 AM »

I don't know that they are Eastern Orthodox (I doubt they are, the Ethiopian Church is a whole other Church, with it's own traditions and history), but that's really beside the point. There are humans in all Churches. So all Churches will always have bad apples. What boggles my mind is that these guys are on a continent where Christians are being murdered in large numbers by Muslims... and they are attacking fellow Christians?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
NickolaiOJ

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Forgive Me, the Sinner.

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 12:13:12 AM »

I dont understand why the OCs are so violent.

Because even we are subject to passions.  And sadly, many people can't control themselves.

however, I don;t even think they Are EO's.  Look at the name of the Church, "Mecha Wored Orthodox Church".
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 12:22:06 AM »

How do we know this is even true? Protestants have been known to lie or exaggerate before about their "missionaries."

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 07:15:05 AM »

I am not even sure this church is Oriental Orthodox; and an Istanbul posting by the 'reporter' does not mean Eastern Orthodox.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tabby

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 09:39:52 AM »

How do we know this is even true? Protestants have been known to lie or exaggerate before about their "missionaries."

Anastasios

actually something DID happen....if I might say,

I went to search engine...and I was actually lookinup up information about the church if it was eastern or not...(and that doesnt really matter either if it was or not..it is the individuals who did it...it isnt like the Church had these people do it anyways....

if you go to search engine and type "Mecha Wored Orthodox Church"...you will see many different articles about this event...

"If only I could die because then I would not die" ~ St. John of the Cross

"God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son" (Jn 3;16) "Mary so loved us that she gave her only b
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 09:46:48 AM »

Yes. I also searched before I posted the additional information .
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 09:48:14 AM »

I am not stating that an event of some sort did not occur. Perhaps some of our Oriental Orthodox can fill us in on this church.
As you are discovering the Orthodox World, so to speak, Tabby, you will find literally hundreds of churches that use the name "Orthodox", but which are not recognized by either communion, Oriental or Eastern.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tabby

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 10:08:34 AM »

I am learning and it does seem to get confusing. Even in the RCC....there are churches that are not in communion with the pope but their church has "catholic" like the "old catholic"....what else I believe there is a church called "american catholic" and "liberal catholic" or something like that...

just recently I learned about the "greek catholic" which is in communion with the pope.  It is apparently an eastern rite (however when I first heard "eastern rite" I assumed it was eastern orthodox, but I was corrected)....there is so many....I assume you have the same problems well not for you but for rookies.

I told myself...or thought to myself....the ones who had oringally had the name should have a copy right with the name like "orthodox" or "catholic"......it would totally save alot of confusion.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 10:11:00 AM by Tabby » Logged

"God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son" (Jn 3;16) "Mary so loved us that she gave her only b
SaintShenouti

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 10:20:52 AM »

If this was indeed the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, then yes, it is our sister church in the Oriental Orthodox family.  And, if these actions are true, then I don't blame them.  Ethiopia is an orthodox land, and has been for centuries.  I believe this just goes to show how precious their faith is to them.  They do not want their land or their people to be defiled with what we deem to be heresy.  I'm sure brother Aklie Semaet could vouch for what I'm saying.  These evangelicals would have never attempted this modern day invasion if the great Emperor Haile Selassie were still around (may God rest his soul).  Did you know the late emperor was a good friend of the late Pope St. Kyrillos VI of Alexandria? 
Tabby

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2005, 10:34:40 AM »

no offense but that is a total wrong reason to kill people...

They were NOT in the right to kill just because of another belief on "their land"....it is actually against God's command.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2005, 10:42:33 AM »

no offense but that is a total wrong reason to kill people...

They were NOT in the right to kill just because of another belief on "their land"....it is actually against God's command.

Not much to argue with here...

prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2005, 10:47:54 AM »

At one time Father B. went to a village on business for his monastery. The villagers came to him as soon as he arrived asking him persistently to help them defend the Truth before an Evangelical preacher who, using quotations from the Bible, was bothering them greatly with slanders regarding the veneration of saints and the Theotokos. The monk was simple and almost illiterate, and he felt awkward. But after he had thought for a while, recalling all he had frequently read about the saints and their lives, he invited the Protestant preacher to meet with him and proposed this:

"Let us light a fire," he said, "in the middle of the village square. Each one of us will go through it and let God prove this way which from the two of us has the Truth."

Very early the next morning, the villagers gathered wood and piled it up in a great heap in the middle of the square. Father B. arrived, but the preacher did not come. He had fled, taking the first boat out at daylight. The whole village raised cries for joy for the glorious victory over the teachings of human deceit. When Father B. returned to the monastery, the other monks asked him: "Were you prepared to go through the fire?"

"I was anxious, but I did not doubt our faith, and I thought, 'On this earth you deserve nothing, but to be in hell. It would be better if you burned here on earth than to be burning through all eternity: Let us then enter into the fire'." Thus did this deeply humble, simple monk defend our Faith - just as had the first martyrs and the spiritual fathers before him.

(An Anthonite Gerontikon, Holy Monastery of St. Gregory Palamas, 1991, p.53)
Tabby

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2005, 10:51:06 AM »

that is a good story but is that like "putting God to the test"?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2005, 11:00:47 AM »

When I read the story prodomos posted (which was very edifying!), the other story that came to mind was 1 Kings 18:17-40

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2005, 11:05:46 AM »

Sounds more like he was willing to burn for the Faith in the face of heresy, it didn't look like he was prepared to walk out of the fire unscathed and then laugh and the charcoaled body of the Protestant preacher. Looks like a witness to his undying faith, but if I've missed some other obvious point to the story, please inform! Smiley

Anastasia
(Kim)

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Tabby

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2005, 11:56:58 AM »

When I read the story prodomos posted (which was very edifying!), the other story that came to mind was 1 Kings 18:17-40

yeah I like this story too...but also what comes to my mind is when

Matthew 4:1-11

We see in Mt. 4,3)
Jesus trusted God to provide any need. We shouldnt place our priorities on meteral stuff

in verse 6

Jesus resisted using the power for vain and foolish reasons. we shouldnt do foolish things in vain...or to "prove" who is right and who is wrong. God doesnt work that way. It is great to have faith as in a mustard seed...but to prove it by walking in fire to prove that you are in the true faith or whatever the case may be...is to me putting the Lord at the test...but on the side note...it is inspiring that one would have such strong faith...and that is good...but couldnt it be proven to allow the power of God to work over that individual like "praying" for conversation? Are not prayers strong?

Lets not forget either that in Kings...the Lord spoke....and in the case of walking on water...did the Lord speak to this person to do so?

also another thing that

Deuteronomy 6:16

« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 12:04:16 PM by Tabby » Logged

Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2005, 02:27:58 PM »

[Looks like a witness to his undying faith, but if I've missed some other obvious point to the story, please inform! ]

Here it is -

The villagers came to him as soon as he arrived asking him persistently to help them defend the Truth before an Evangelical preacher who, using quotations from the Bible, was bothering them greatly with slanders regarding the veneration of saints and the Theotokos.

=======

Analysis:  When you have foreign Christian missionaries entering a country (or village in this case) uninvited and with no knowledge or respect of the existing Christian religion, condemning and insulting it, the people are not going to either condone it or accept it.  And as things build up they are eventually going to get out of hand and results like this will happen.  Orthodoxy, whether Byzantine or Oriental, has been there for centuries.  It has become intwined in the customs and traditions of the country.  To try and change the religion is also seen by the people as an attempt to change the whole culture of the country.

Things like this would not happen if those so called Christians had the proper love and respect for their fellow Christians and abided by the words of the Bible where St Paul speaks out against things like this (poseltyzing).

Romans 15:20 -

And so I have made it my aim to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build on another man's foundation,

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2005, 02:41:07 PM »

If this was indeed the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, then yes, it is our sister church in the Oriental Orthodox family. And, if these actions are true, then I don't blame them. Ethiopia is an orthodox land, and has been for centuries. I believe this just goes to show how precious their faith is to them. They do not want their land or their people to be defiled with what we deem to be heresy. I'm sure brother Aklie Semaet could vouch for what I'm saying. These evangelicals would have never attempted this modern day invasion if the great Emperor Haile Selassie were still around (may God rest his soul). Did you know the late emperor was a good friend of the late Pope St. Kyrillos VI of Alexandria?

I must respectfully disagree. It is true that Orthodoxy has been in Ethiopia for many centuries, with the people and culture heavily influenced by it. And it is true that Protestants are heretics. However, there is no excuse for this sort of bloody intolerance. Surely there are ways to protect pious Orthodox (in Ethiopia and anywhere else, for that matter) from heretical teachings and teachers other than by breaking God's laws?

The New World Order (1943 to present):

Jesuit Provincial > Jesuit Order > Jesuit Superior > Mor < Roman Pontiff < Illuminati Families < Holy See < UN
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2005, 03:19:03 PM »

Things like this would not happen if those so called Christians had the proper love and respect for their fellow Christians...

You're absolutely right, Bob, but does it make murder okay?  Phil is right on.  There are countless other ways to combat the encroachment of heresy other than outright mob rule and murder.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
SaintShenouti

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2005, 04:07:28 PM »

Maybe I should have clarified my statement.   I do not condone the violence and bloodshed, but rather I applaud their resolve against the evangelical movement into their country itself.  I'm not justifying the evil deed, but simply acknowledging their firm stand in orthodoxy.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2005, 07:36:52 PM »

Maybe I should have clarified my statement. I do not condone the violence and bloodshed, but rather I applaud their resolve against the evangelical movement into their country itself. I'm not justifying the evil deed, but simply acknowledging their firm stand in orthodoxy.

On that much, we can agree and support our Ethiopian brethren as they combat heresy in God-pleasing ways, and not with the shedding of blood.

The New World Order (1943 to present):

Jesuit Provincial > Jesuit Order > Jesuit Superior > Mor < Roman Pontiff < Illuminati Families < Holy See < UN
SaintShenouti

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2005, 10:54:24 PM »

Amen.
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2005, 12:02:09 AM »

[You're absolutely right, Bob, but does it make murder okay?  Phil is right on.  There are countless other ways to combat the encroachment of heresy other than outright mob rule and murder.]

Nothing justifies murder!  However, when some of those countless 'other ways' are used like religious laws, all the Roman Catholics and Protestants world wide start to yell and scream.  They all somehow think they have the right to invade other countries with their brand of religion and should be welcomed with open arms for doing so. 

Like I said, they come in with lack of knowledge, respect, or love for the existing religion and think they should be welcomed with open arms.

It's interesting what some of the countries that suffered so much because of the Tsunami told the Americans.  If you come in and try and put a religious price tag on the help you offer then stay the hell out!  I agree! 

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2005, 08:08:39 AM »

Sounds more like he was willing to burn for the Faith in the face of heresy, it didn't look like he was prepared to walk out of the fire unscathed and then laugh and the charcoaled body of the Protestant preacher.

Exactly Kim. His thoughts were, " It would be better if you burned here on earth than to be burning through all eternity: Let us then enter into the fire.". Neither did he state the manner in which God would prove which of them had the truth, he simply had faith that God would do so. He did not expect to survive the flames but was willing to lay down his life for the sake of the church in that village.

John
SaintShenouti

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2005, 10:41:30 AM »

May God be with His people in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: