OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 03, 2014, 01:23:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ST. Pope Kyrillos VI and ST. Archdeacon Habib Girgis! Newly Canonized!  (Read 4019 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: June 24, 2013, 08:21:51 PM »

Axios! Axios! Axios! to the newly canonized saints of the Coptic Church!

from http://mideasti.blogspot.ae/2013/06/coptic-churchs-synod-recognizes-two.html

The Coptic Church's Holy Synod, consisting of the bishops, has recognized the sainthood of two modern figures who had already been widely venerated by the Coptic faithful. And no, Gamal Abdel Nasser was not one of them, but Pope Kyrillos (Cyril) VI, shown with Nasser in this 1965 photo, was. The Coptic Pope from 1959 to 1971, prior to the late Pope Shenouda III who reigned from 1971 to last year, and the predecessor once removed of current Pope Tawadros II, has been widely acclaimed as a saintly figure among the Coptic faithful.

The other figure is less well known outside Coptic circles: Archdeacon Habib Girgis (1876-1951), who played several key roles in the renaissance of the Coptic Church in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The Church had become calcified through the centuries, with poorly educated priests and Coptic faithful with little understanding of their Church, and it was losing adherents to Catholic and Protestant missionary efforts.

An ebook about the life of Archdeacon St. Habib Girgis:
http://www.orthodoxebooks.org/node/330

An already existing candidate Synexarium account of the life of Pope St. Kyrillos VI can be read here:
http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/synexarion/popecyril4.html

My comments:
This is the first time in a while we have a saint not necessarily associated with miracles, and I'm glad for it.  The achievements of St. Habib Girgis are overwhelming.  He revitalized the education of an ignorant mass of priests, monks, and few bishops.  During the dark times of the Coptic Church between 1928 and 1959, he was quite the theological and even temporal leader for a huge mass of the Coptic Church.  In the 1950s, those who were considered the disciples of St. Habib Girgis (alternative spellings: Gerges or Guirguis) were shunned by most of the bishops to be the next patriarch, but once HH St. Pope Kyrillos VI was chosen, he ordained pretty much all bishops, priests, and monks as directly or indirectly disciples of St. Habib Girgis, which was considered the beginning of the Coptic Church's Renaissance and revival.

May their blessings be with us all! Amen!

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 09:23:25 PM »

I was very happy to hear this when my Priest announced this on Thursday(?). It's definitely a step in the right direction.

Axios Axios Axios!

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 10:00:49 PM »

AXIOS! AXIOS! AXIOS!

This is indeed most deserved recognition and elevation! Wonderful!!!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 11:27:44 PM »

Awesome news!  I don't know much about St Habib, so I look forward to reading that link.  But I do remember one of our late bishops talking informally with some friends and me (~10 years ago) about his visit to Egypt in the 1960's or 70's and the time he spent with "Baba Kyrill"...sounded like an amazing man then, and even more so after I learned a bit about him. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »

Here is a collection of short spiritual articles collected into one title called "The Mystery of Godliness" written by St. Habib Girgis:

1. Go to http://www.coptichymns.net/index.php?module=library&tid=1&pubcnt=100
2. In the search field type Habib Guirgus
3. Click on where it says "Title" and choose "Author"
4. Click "Go"
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:16:29 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 12:32:27 AM »

Wow, I can't believe I didn't notice this last month! May Pope St. Cyril VI's blessings and prayers be with us all! "Wondrous is God in His Saints, the God of Israel!"

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 12:36:07 AM »

LOL. Stealing the Vatican's thunder.

May their prayers be upon us all!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 08:31:39 AM »

Worthy! Worthy! Worthy!

When are the feast days of these new Saints?
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 10:29:07 AM »

Pope St. Cyril VI is commemorated on the day of his repose:

http://copticchurch.net/synaxarium/6_30.html#2

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Tags: Oriental Orthodox saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: