OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 01:14:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dating question  (Read 10400 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #225 on: July 14, 2013, 01:46:18 AM »

Let's put it this way; you don't want to find your spouse physically repulsive.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #226 on: July 14, 2013, 03:37:37 AM »

Hey if I get married, I'm definitely letting myself go. I could careless what I look like then.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #227 on: July 14, 2013, 05:29:04 AM »

Are you even sexually attracted to your friend? I wouldn't even bother. I know orthonorm downplays sex as being overrated, but I don't see how you could date someone if you did not find them sexually attractive. Unless you are like an asexual type or something.
How important is sexual attraction in developing a long-term relationship?

Make sure you have things in common out of bed. Even the highest sex drive goes away sooner or later, and you don't want to be stuck in your old age with someone you can't even hold a conversation with.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #228 on: July 14, 2013, 12:59:45 PM »

Hey if I get married, I'm definitely letting myself go. I could careless what I look like then.

Hurray no more three mile jogs and shaving everyday! Smiley

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #229 on: July 14, 2013, 01:22:05 PM »

Very. Though perhaps more important is a face you aren't embarrassed by.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #230 on: July 14, 2013, 07:52:46 PM »

Are you even sexually attracted to your friend? I wouldn't even bother. I know orthonorm downplays sex as being overrated, but I don't see how you could date someone if you did not find them sexually attractive. Unless you are like an asexual type or something.

Anastasia, the Christian theology is an Incarnational theology.human sexuality was created by God as such it manifests from Him. in Him and through Him according to His will it gets its beauty and sanctity as well as creative and transformative power. our sexuality is part of who we are as human beings, one aspect of the communion between man and woman. however like all other aspects of our reality, sin has affected this dimension of the human being as well. so I would say it is important,good and holy to the extent it is used in the manner and for the purpose the Lord created it to be used.the denial of human sexuality is a perversion and degradation of the human person.Christianity advocates the transfiguration of human sexuality through Christ in The Spirit for the Glory of the Father, like all other dimensions of the human person created in the Image and Likeness of God.

having said that, sexual love ( from the attraction to consummation in Holy Matrimony) is neither the only aspect of the Christian marriage nor its ultimate destination. in Holy Matrimony man and woman are called to Holiness. so it is towards that purpose that all other aspects must be considered and integrated according to the will of God.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #231 on: July 15, 2013, 01:34:27 AM »

Anastasia, the Christian theology is an Incarnational theology.human sexuality was created by God as such it manifests from Him. in Him and through Him according to His will it gets its beauty and sanctity as well as creative and transformative power. our sexuality is part of who we are as human beings, one aspect of the communion between man and woman. however like all other aspects of our reality, sin has affected this dimension of the human being as well. so I would say it is important,good and holy to the extent it is used in the manner and for the purpose the Lord created it to be used.the denial of human sexuality is a perversion and degradation of the human person.Christianity advocates the transfiguration of human sexuality through Christ in The Spirit for the Glory of the Father, like all other dimensions of the human person created in the Image and Likeness of God.

having said that, sexual love ( from the attraction to consummation in Holy Matrimony) is neither the only aspect of the Christian marriage nor its ultimate destination. in Holy Matrimony man and woman are called to Holiness. so it is towards that purpose that all other aspects must be considered and integrated according to the will of God.
Ok, for the first paragraph, I would say, "This is a much healthier presentation than the Evangelical "Sex/sexuality is bad" message that young singles get sometimes."
You are saying that that it is good and worth having but only a small part of a bigger picture and not the end all and be all?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:53:44 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #232 on: July 15, 2013, 01:44:41 AM »

There is a general rule of thumb that the deeper the relationship gets, the more attractive your partner gets.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #233 on: July 15, 2013, 01:54:10 AM »

There is a general rule of thumb that the deeper the relationship gets, the more attractive your partner gets.
I have not had much experience with this. I've had that happen with someone else to me, but not me to him. I've had relationships where he was barely more attractive 7 months later, and where I was not really more attracted later on, and those cute guys that you meet and find they are not Christian or something and somehow they just aren't cute after a couple months of acquaintanceship.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:57:21 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #234 on: July 15, 2013, 02:09:33 AM »

I have not had much experience with this. I've had that happen with someone else to me, but not me to him. I've had relationships where he was barely more attractive 7 months later, and where I was not really more attracted later on, and those cute guys that you meet and find they are not Christian or something and somehow they just aren't cute after a couple months of acquaintanceship.

Don't confuse "length of time" with "depth of relationship".

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #235 on: July 15, 2013, 08:08:58 AM »

+1

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #236 on: July 15, 2013, 09:29:20 AM »

Depth of relationship can't fix ugly.

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #237 on: July 15, 2013, 10:52:04 AM »

i disagree.
when u love someone, they become more beautiful.

as our relationship with God deepens, we become less ugly.
 Smiley
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #238 on: July 15, 2013, 06:58:45 PM »

i disagree.
when u love someone, they become more beautiful.

as our relationship with God deepens, we become less ugly.
 Smiley

Very true, because this helps us focus on who the person is, not what they look like.
Arachne
Protokentarchos

« Reply #239 on: July 15, 2013, 07:07:03 PM »

I don't know. I met my husband on the internet. By the time we finally got to meet, nothing short of Quasimodo would be a dealbreaker.

On the other hand, you definitely can't fix stupid, and you can't live with it either.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #240 on: July 15, 2013, 08:12:08 PM »

I don't know. I met my husband on the internet. By the time we finally got to meet, nothing short of Quasimodo would be a dealbreaker.

On the other hand, you definitely can't fix stupid, and you can't live with it either.
Are you saying your husband looks like Quasimodo?

Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #241 on: July 15, 2013, 09:26:02 PM »

In a deep relationship, the word "ugly" does not exist.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #242 on: July 15, 2013, 09:32:57 PM »

I was married 7 years. I saw a lot of ugly.  Grin

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #243 on: July 15, 2013, 09:37:22 PM »

I was married 7 years. I saw a lot of ugly.  Grin

BAM!  He went there. Oh SNAP!

Arachne
Protokentarchos

« Reply #244 on: July 16, 2013, 03:01:10 AM »

Since we're married, obviously not. Grin But he had won me over before looks even came into the equation.

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #245 on: July 16, 2013, 08:00:40 AM »

Since we're married, obviously not. Grin But he had won me over before looks even came into the equation.
He sounds like quite a catch.  Many years!

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #246 on: July 16, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »

He sounds like quite a catch.  Many years!

May the two of you always be happy, and grow more beautiful in each other's eyes with each passing day.

Many years!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #247 on: July 16, 2013, 08:22:24 PM »

How do I get the nightmares to stop? Oh Lord how? On and off for the past year I've been dreaming about the past dates I've had with the woman I love (and plan to propose to). Something about it is so painful, just, to relive that happiness we once had in my nightmares and then to wake up drenched in sorrow, reminded of the fact that she may be gone by August next year in Colorado. Do I really love her? She's been the only girl I ever dated and knew since 6th grade and is the only woman I feel emotion for.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #248 on: July 16, 2013, 08:27:02 PM »

How do I get the nightmares to stop? Oh Lord how? On and off for the past year I've been dreaming about the past dates I've had with the woman I love (and plan to propose to). Something about it is so painful, just, to relive that happiness we once had in my nightmares and then to wake up drenched in sorrow, reminded of the fact that she may be gone by August next year in Colorado. Do I really love her? She's been the only girl I ever dated and knew since 6th grade and is the only woman I feel emotion for.
This is probably a real jerk thing to say, but its the truth. In 3 years, you probably will have a hard time remembering her name.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:27:47 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #249 on: July 16, 2013, 09:05:10 PM »

This is probably a real jerk thing to say, but its the truth. In 3 years, you probably will have a hard time remembering her name.

I don't know. It's been years and I'm still always thinking about her and we're best friends. I think I truly love her.

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #250 on: July 16, 2013, 09:10:53 PM »

I don't know. It's been years and I'm still always thinking about her and we're best friends. I think I truly love her.
I had similar feelings in high school as well.  After 2 years in college, they were a distant memory.  I would caution you against getting too involved with someone in high school.  If they truly are "the one", they will be "the one" years from now.  If they aren't, they will be a fond memory as you reflect on your life.  From age 18 to 22, you and her will very likely go through massive changes in how you view the world.  It is not wise to tie yourself to something at this point when things will probably be quite different in a few years.

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #251 on: July 16, 2013, 11:41:18 PM »

I had similar feelings in high school as well.  After 2 years in college, they were a distant memory.  I would caution you against getting too involved with someone in high school.  If they truly are "the one", they will be "the one" years from now.  If they aren't, they will be a fond memory as you reflect on your life.  From age 18 to 22, you and her will very likely go through massive changes in how you view the world.  It is not wise to tie yourself to something at this point when things will probably be quite different in a few years.

I would possibly disagree with this, but since you are dealing with a hypothetical situation (person), it is probably the best answer under the circumstances.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #252 on: July 17, 2013, 12:56:04 AM »

Read 1 Corinthians, Chapter 13, then tell me if your truly love her.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #253 on: July 17, 2013, 01:11:35 AM »

That girl...from Citizen Kane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16WC_Dyo6Fo

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #254 on: July 17, 2013, 11:46:46 PM »

God is able to bear any girl/relationship problems that a girl could toss at him.

You aren't God.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 11:47:37 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #255 on: July 18, 2013, 06:11:46 AM »

Would it be ok to accept a date if you aren't interested in the girl but love the food in that specific restaurant?

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #256 on: July 18, 2013, 11:49:42 AM »

Would it be ok to accept a date if you aren't interested in the girl but love the food in that specific restaurant?

Tell her you're gay but would love to go. Good food, no worries about her getting too attached, easy peasy cyrilliceasy.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:50:04 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #257 on: July 18, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »

Sounds risky. What if everybody will think I'm gay?

-Samuel Coleridge
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #258 on: July 18, 2013, 05:25:45 PM »

Tell her you're gay but would love to go. Good food, no worries about her getting too attached, easy peasy cyrilliceasy.
This is actually a fantastic idea.  Just tell her that you're "in the closet" and ask her to keep it a secret.  After all, you're only telling her so you don't hurt her feelings. Wink

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #259 on: July 18, 2013, 05:29:15 PM »

This is actually a fantastic idea.  Just tell her that you're "in the closet" and ask her to keep it a secret.  After all, you're only telling her so you don't hurt her feelings. Wink

That's brilliant! Now I can enjoy my spaghetti without getting myself into trouble.

-Samuel Coleridge
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #260 on: July 18, 2013, 05:31:54 PM »

That's brilliant! Now I can enjoy my spaghetti without getting myself into trouble.
On second thought, it's probably dangerous to lie about this.  What if you find a girlfriend and this person gets offended or something?  It might be better to just tell her the truth upfront.  You don't want to be mean, after all.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #261 on: July 18, 2013, 05:34:39 PM »

On second thought, it's probably dangerous to lie about this.  What if you find a girlfriend and this person gets offended or something?  It might be better to just tell her the truth upfront.  You don't want to be mean, after all.
I think the suggestion was tongue-in-cheek.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #262 on: July 18, 2013, 05:41:05 PM »

It's okay, I'll just tell her the truth. I'm not evil. Well, not completely evil.

-Samuel Coleridge
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #263 on: July 18, 2013, 05:42:58 PM »

I think the suggestion was tongue-in-cheek.
My bad.  I took it seriously because it's something I've had to tell girls before.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #264 on: July 18, 2013, 05:55:03 PM »

It's okay, I'll just tell her the truth. I'm not evil. Well, not completely evil.

Just be careful. Take a little advice from an old man. When I was younger and was in sunday school at my local Protestant church, there was a sex educator that came in one time to tell us about sex. She told us all sorts of things that the mainstream media covers up. Like did you know that during a certain time of the month that a girl can get pregnant spontaneously just by sitting within three feet of a guy she is strongly attracted to? I know this sounds like balogny, but it's true! One time my wife got pregnant, and when we did the math to find out when she conceived it was smack dab in the middle of Lent, when we weren't having sex, so there you go! Also, scientists and liberals and communists (usually one person being all three) will try to lie to you and tell you this isn't so. This is very easy to disprove. Just say "oh yeah, well if science is so right, show me one peer-reviewed journal article that demonstrates that a girl can't get pregnant that way!"  They will not be able to provide such evidence--because it doesn't exist! So, the moral of the story, enjoy the food, but keep your distance from the girl.

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #265 on: July 18, 2013, 07:00:55 PM »

One time my wife got pregnant, and when we did the math to find out when she conceived it was smack dab in the middle of Lent, when we weren't having sex, so there you go!

This ain't purple!  Shocked
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #266 on: July 18, 2013, 09:46:09 PM »

One time my wife got pregnant, and when we did the math to find out when she conceived it was smack dab in the middle of Lent, when we weren't I wasn't having sex, so there you go!

Fixed that for you.

Poor Asteriktos.  So naive...  Wink
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:46:24 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

Ice cream for sale! 14 and under only, please!

« Reply #267 on: July 18, 2013, 09:56:22 PM »

Forgive an ignorant man for saying something, but how can a girl get pregnant if there is no sexual intercourse. I will try to be as medical as possible. The penis at least has to place itself in the vagina and the semen has to enter the vagina and ferment in the woman. I thought that was basic and as much as I believe in conspiracy theories and listen to Alex Jones I am not sure I understand what your well meaning Protestant Sunday School teacher meant. A woman cannot get pregnant from just being strongly attracted to a man next to her. Just like the man might ejaculate, so she might secrete or grow wet in the vagina, which is sexual excitement what is often not even willed but natural. I am not trying to be nasty, but one cannot get pregnant without the penis going in the vagina. As for the pregnancy during Lent, maybe you got the math wrong or something. I am not really sure but if a woman could get pregnant with her clothes on well....
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #268 on: July 18, 2013, 10:02:20 PM »

Forgive an ignorant man for saying something, but how can a girl get pregnant if there is no sexual intercourse. I will try to be as medical as possible. The penis at least has to place itself in the vagina and the semen has to enter the vagina and ferment in the woman. I thought that was basic and as much as I believe in conspiracy theories and listen to Alex Jones I am not sure I understand what your well meaning Protestant Sunday School teacher meant. A woman cannot get pregnant from just being strongly attracted to a man next to her. Just like the man might ejaculate, so she might secrete or grow wet in the vagina, which is sexual excitement what is often not even willed but natural. I am not trying to be nasty, but one cannot get pregnant without the penis going in the vagina. As for the pregnancy during Lent, maybe you got the math wrong or something. I am not really sure but if a woman could get pregnant with her clothes on well....

A significant portion of my posts are meant as satire, comedy, sarcasm-with-a-point, or sometimes just dumb ideas I throw out because they amuse me (even if I know they won't amuse anyone else).  angel Grin

EDIT--Just to expand, a lot of what I say is inside jokes that might be humorous on several levels, often with the amusement I get being somewhat different than what is intended for the regular reader. For example, with the thing about getting my wife pregnant: that's a joke based somewhat on the fact that my wife and I twice got pregnant while taking steps to avoid getting pregnant.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:06:43 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #269 on: July 18, 2013, 10:03:07 PM »

As you are new, I shall explain.  Asteriktos is our resident humorist who uses self-deprecating statements to humorously nudge and prod at other members of the forum.  He was not being serious in his post.  Wink

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: