OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 04:39:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally made it to a COC  (Read 1164 times) Average Rating: 0
RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« on: June 22, 2013, 04:17:29 PM »

After almost a month of searching the internet trying to find my local COC versus the largeer one an hour away, I finally located it and went for liturgy! Grin

I was the only non-Egyptian, and I think this Church is made up of more immigrants versus American borns. However everyone was really, really nice especially the women. Abouna is also very nice but his English is not so great; he is close to 80 and spent most of his life in Egypt. I understood more of the Arabic portion of liturgy than I thought I would, and overall did not make in idiot of myself, lol.

I did have one question. I was sort of stopped at the door by a guy and asked how I found this place, and from whom. He proceeded to ask me the person's name, last name(did not recall a last name), and finally could I show him the email conversation I had with said person. This was pretty weird, because he asked me step outside while he called the person's number in the email and only really let me back in AFTER he found out if was Abouna's son and that I actually knew someone there. Is this normal, or was he just being a jerk?

Jerk or not, I will be back there next week. It was good stuff. angel

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 05:19:12 PM »

I did have one question. I was sort of stopped at the door by a guy and asked how I found this place, and from whom. He proceeded to ask me the person's name, last name(did not recall a last name), and finally could I show him the email conversation I had with said person. This was pretty weird, because he asked me step outside while he called the person's number in the email and only really let me back in AFTER he found out if was Abouna's son and that I actually knew someone there. Is this normal, or was he just being a jerk?

I haven't been to a COC or anything, but that is really weird. I want to visit one someday, but I'm not sure I'd be so optimistic about it like you after something like that. Tongue

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 05:28:54 PM »

After almost a month of searching the internet trying to find my local COC versus the lager one an hour away, I finally located it and went for liturgy! Grin

I was the only non-Egyptian, and I think this Church is made up of more immigrants versus American borns. However everyone was really, really nice especially the women. Abouna is also very nice but his English is not so great; he is close to 80 and spent most of his life in Egypt. I understood more of the Arabic portion of liturgy than I thought I would, and overall did not make in idiot of myself, lol.

I attend a Mission where I am.  During a time that was either my later inquirer days or early catechumen days, I visited the Church where my priest presided.  The greeter was rather inquisitive and asked if I was Orthodox.  Some months later I visited again and there were other greeters who were friendly.  I saw this original greeter a year or so later and figured out that it was the person who was rather snoopy, and it was not the others in the Church, so hopefully you will have a better time the 2nd time around.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 05:31:28 PM by Gamliel » Logged
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 05:31:05 PM »

Very odd.  I've visited a handful of Coptic churches, and I have never come across that.  Wow.   Shocked

RehamG
Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 05:50:09 PM »

This is a really small Church, maybe 40 people were at liturgy including kids. I'm assuming everyone is really tight-knit and maybe that is why, or maybe like someone said, that guy was just one of those who asks too many weird things. He also asked did I want to sit in his car with him while he called the person. I said nope, I don't know you so no thank-you. I'll give benefit of the doubt and think he was being nice by offering that versus being a creeper.

Anyway, one guy won't ruin my COC experience. Tongue

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 06:09:31 PM »

This is a really small Church, maybe 40 people were at liturgy including kids. I'm assuming everyone is really tight-knit and maybe that is why, or maybe like someone said, that guy was just one of those who asks too many weird things. He also asked did I want to sit in his car with him while he called the person. I said nope, I don't know you so no thank-you. I'll give benefit of the doubt and think he was being nice by offering that versus being a creeper.

Glad one guy won't ruin it, and yes, the car thing is strange.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 02:14:42 PM »

well done for finding the church, i suggest you ignore this guy or only talk to him with someone else there with you as a 'chaperone'. he sounds like he has issues.

well done also for understanding some arabic  Smiley
just remember never to say 'as salaam 'alaykum'!
the Christian version is 'salaam leekum' (non religious) or 'salaam bil Masih' (peace in the Messiah).

also people say 'ahlaan' (hi) or 'kayf haalak?' (how are you?) to which the response is 'alhamdu lilah' (praise God - exactly as the muslims say it).
Christians are all less likely to say 'subhan Allah' (glory to God) although they do say it sometimes.
to most, it sounds muslim. they would more readily say 'nashkor Allah' (we thank God)

these are the main religious differences in arabic greetings, oh and also Christians don't say 'bism illah' when eating, as this is short for 'in the name of God, the most beneficient, the most merciful' which is reserved for muslims. they rather say 'bism il Ab wa il Ibn wa il Roh il qadoos', 'in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

(a few tips as a coptic Christian who is a very poor student of arabic who has muslim arabic speaking friends)
RehamG
Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 07:57:35 PM »

I'll be avoiding him at all costs. He kind of reminded me of that time I got a secondary airport screening with TSA. Shocked

My Arabic ability is horrible speaking wise. I understand a lot when spoken to but my Southern accent murders anything I try and say. Maybe one day!

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 09:21:31 AM »

I just saw this! Welcome Smiley...

And yes, he's a jerk. If I went to that church, I would call him out on it.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 09:29:05 AM »

It seems you have encountered Miaphysite Mina.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 10:39:23 AM »

lol! That's scarier than Hyperdox Herman

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »

Whatever that thing is, it is awesome!  New thread, new thread, new thread!!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 11:48:17 AM »

When strangers accost you about things that are none of their business you don't have to cooperate with them.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 11:53:58 AM »

The funny thing is that just last Friday I was at a Coptic parish.  We are approaching Assumption Day, so there was an icon of the Mother of God at the front of the church for people to venerate.  It had small colorful Christmas lights around it.  It was actually kind of cute.  I liked it.   Smiley

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 11:54:32 AM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,43223.msg816813.html#msg816813
Tony

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 11:54:55 AM »

What is an LED?

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 11:55:15 AM »

I agree.  I would love to have a thread like that, just like Hyperdox Herman.  

My only problem is that I don't know how to generate memes.  How do you do that?

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 12:02:23 PM »

My only problem is that I don't know how to generate memes.  How do you do that?

Here you are.
RehamG
Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 06:06:47 PM »

I just saw this! Welcome Smiley...

And yes, he's a jerk. If I went to that church, I would call him out on it.

I determined shortly after that the guy has some issues and now stay far away, avoiding any eye contact when I'm around. Guess there is always one weirdo in every bunch.  Roll Eyes

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 06:38:06 PM »

Guess there is always one weirdo in every bunch.  Roll Eyes

How many people in one bunch?  We have a lot of weirdos here, and I'm wondering if the ratio is the same.  Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
RehamG
Elder

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 06:48:13 PM »

How many people in one bunch?  We have a lot of weirdos here, and I'm wondering if the ratio is the same.  Wink

I live in the Pacific NW, so come to think of it that ratio is probably higher than the national average.  Tongue

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 09:13:18 PM »

I determined shortly after that the guy has some issues and now stay far away, avoiding any eye contact when I'm around. Guess there is always one weirdo in every bunch.  Roll Eyes

This may go without saying, but have you checked to make sure that the parish priest knows that the guy does stuff like that when a new person comes to the door?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
RehamG
Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 11:40:21 PM »

This may go without saying, but have you checked to make sure that the parish priest knows that the guy does stuff like that when a new person comes to the door?

You know....my fiance told me I should have said something to abouna also but I wasn't sure how to bring that up exactly Huh. I don't get the feeling many new, non-Egyptian people come around the small COC in my city so maybe it was some stranger danger going on in his mind.

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 11:49:37 PM »

The entire thing is suspicious, but this part especially.  Very strange!
RehamG
Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2013, 12:55:12 AM »

Yes it was a little off putting and so far every Coptic person I've mentioned it to gave me the bug eye look of shock; I do still get a good laugh about it here and there because of him and his actions, though. Cheesy

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 02:53:19 AM »

I am glad to hear it is working out well!  Thank you for sharing your adventure with us!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 09:52:21 AM »

The funny thing is that just last Friday I was at a Coptic parish.  We are approaching Assumption Day, so there was an icon of the Mother of God at the front of the church for people to venerate.  It had small colorful Christmas lights around it.  It was actually kind of cute.  I liked it.   Smiley

Somewhere in Holy Armenia, Armenian LBK is weeping.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 09:53:36 AM »

LOL.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2013, 09:56:23 AM »

Yes it was a little off putting and so far every Coptic person I've mentioned it to gave me the bug eye look of shock; I do still get a good laugh about it here and there because of him and his actions, though. Cheesy

God bless you! This guy sounds like someone to avoid. A priest at my church once said, "The definition of a stalker is two people go on a romantic walk, and only one of them knows it."

Is your fiance interested in going to church with you?

RehamG
Elder

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 02:27:19 PM »

God bless you! This guy sounds like someone to avoid. A priest at my church once said, "The definition of a stalker is two people go on a romantic walk, and only one of them knows it."

Is your fiance interested in going to church with you?

LOL! He is actually in Egypt, and will be there until we decide which way to go with the immigration process. If he were here, or I there then yes we would go together.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 02:28:07 PM by rebecca.ann » Logged

Tags: Miaphysite Mina 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: