OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 09:34:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This May be Silly, But....  (Read 768 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: June 22, 2013, 02:15:22 PM »

It's a question for any Evangelicals out there.

Jesus says in John 3:5 that "...Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God." Now correct me if I am wrong, but Evangelicals interpret the "water" part to be referring to the fluid inside of a mother's womb, thus, to be "born of water" means to literally be born into the world, correct?

Then why are Evangelicals so opposed to abortion? Technically speaking, wouldn't a fetus then be incapable of entering the "kingdom of God" since they were not physically born? And if it cannot enter the kingdom of God, then wouldn't it mean that a fetus is not a person, and thus there is nothing wrong with abortion?

Now, I know this sounds simplistic, but it is similar to the logic that Evangelicals throw against us in regards to Baptism. They appeal to emotion and say that Baptism is inconsistent because it would mean that unbaptized babies "don't go to Heaven" (even though that's never been our position), yet, their interpretation of this passage begs the similar question of whether or not an unborn fetus can enter it, and if it cannot, then why they are so opposed to abortion.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 02:18:49 PM »

Now, I know this sounds simplistic, but it is similar to the logic [of] Evangelicals

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 08:16:12 PM »

You're right...your whole train-wreck of a thought is silly.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 10:50:47 PM »

You're right...your whole train-wreck of a thought is silly.
The boy should have stopped before "but."

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 09:17:01 AM »

It's a question for any Evangelicals out there.

Jesus says in John 3:5 that "...Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God." Now correct me if I am wrong, but Evangelicals interpret the "water" part to be referring to the fluid inside of a mother's womb, thus, to be "born of water" means to literally be born into the world, correct?

Then why are Evangelicals so opposed to abortion? Technically speaking, wouldn't a fetus then be incapable of entering the "kingdom of God" since they were not physically born? And if it cannot enter the kingdom of God, then wouldn't it mean that a fetus is not a person, and thus there is nothing wrong with abortion?

Now, I know this sounds simplistic, but it is similar to the logic that Evangelicals throw against us in regards to Baptism. They appeal to emotion and say that Baptism is inconsistent because it would mean that unbaptized babies "don't go to Heaven" (even though that's never been our position), yet, their interpretation of this passage begs the similar question of whether or not an unborn fetus can enter it, and if it cannot, then why they are so opposed to abortion.

Good point!

If you want to further frustrate the Evangelicals, ask them to show you some other examples of the phrase 'born of water' used to refer to human birth in the Scriptures.  If their position is true, then the Divine Scriptures should be filled with references to people being "born of water" as a synonym for physical birth all the time.  The Protestants love to tell us that "Scripture interprets Scripture."  So where are all the Scriptures that equate being "born of water" with being born physically?  They just aren't there.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 12:21:57 PM »

Finnish Pentecostals interpret the "water" as a symbol for the word/Word of God.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 12:24:37 PM »

Finnish Pentecostals interpret the "water" as a symbol for the word/Word of God.

Which again proves that Pentecostals are nuts.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 12:52:33 PM »

Which again proves that Pentecostals are nuts.

Not really. They are wrong but they have rather good arguments for their view.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:52:53 PM by Alpo » Logged

walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 01:11:13 PM »

Then, what is Orthodox Church interpretation of 'water' in John 3:5?

How do the Saints and Church Fathers understand of 'water' in John 3:5?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:17:29 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 01:21:21 PM »

As being water.

-Samuel Coleridge
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 03:16:57 PM »

As being water.

I Still do not undersrand... Undecided

How can I be water?  Huh
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 03:18:20 PM »

Baptism.

-Samuel Coleridge
lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 05:24:23 PM »

I think the word water in John 3:5 is an allusion to a greater spiritual truth.
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 04:19:41 PM »

Then why are Evangelicals so opposed to abortion?

I think you are muddling two unrelated matters - the exegesis of the words in John, and the question of abortion. The former is in the Bible, however it is understood; abortion is not in the Bible. Therefore, those Evangelicals who are opposed to abortion have quite different reasons for their view on baptism and their view on abortion.

They reach the view on abortion by a chain of reason from such passages as "from the womb" in the OT, which they take to mean "from when I was in the womb" rather than "from when I left the womb". The strongest such argument is the leaping of John the Baptist in his mother's womb when she met Mary. The question seems to hang on when a foetus or embryo becomes "a living soul": is it when it gets its own independent breath ("God breathed into him the breath of life and he became a living soul" - i.e. is actually born) or is it when it is conceived? The Bible doesn't actually say, so one has to start somewhere and reach a conclusion further down the logical chain. But the words in John about born of water are there and can (nay must) be exegeted.

The conversation between Jesus and Nicodemus does contain signs that it was about physical and spiritual birth, which could be taken
to support the view that of water and of the Spirit refer to those, and not to baptism, which does not seem to be a topic in the exchange.

It is worth adding that abortion ought not to be a convenient means of birth control to make fornication easier.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:20:52 PM by David Young » Logged

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: