OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 07:08:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man of Steel into the Darkness *SPOILERS MAYBE*  (Read 2686 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »

I liked that new Superman pretty much.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
hopeful-christian

Faith: Very new to Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2013, 12:47:59 PM »

I have no idea how they're going to manage a World's Finest movie. The Batman/Superman dynamic is kind of complicated and subtle, and I don't know that it can be explored in any meaningful way in a two-hour movie that, in order for it to be exciting at all, has to feature a villain that Batman and Superman can both fight together, which probably means Batman building some awesome suit of armor, and okay, I'm excited to see it, I admit.

My point, though, is that I basically expect non-stop action rather than the stuff that actually makes Batman and Superman interesting foils to one another.
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2013, 01:08:58 PM »

An armored Batman *has* to throw some Iron-Man related joke.

"Your armor is all black?"
"If I wanted my enemies to spot me from afar against the night sky, I'd paint it yellow and red. I'm not that silly".

I have no idea how they're going to manage a World's Finest movie. The Batman/Superman dynamic is kind of complicated and subtle, and I don't know that it can be explored in any meaningful way in a two-hour movie that, in order for it to be exciting at all, has to feature a villain that Batman and Superman can both fight together, which probably means Batman building some awesome suit of armor, and okay, I'm excited to see it, I admit.

My point, though, is that I basically expect non-stop action rather than the stuff that actually makes Batman and Superman interesting foils to one another.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:09:49 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2013, 01:17:27 PM »

As a lifelong Superman fan, I found Man of Steel to be lacking.  I'll take the original Christopher Reeve movies any day of the week - that at least felt like Superman.
I wasn't a perfect movie by any means, but  I think that it was unreasonable for anyone to compare this Christopher Reeve. Christopher Reeve is not the only incarnation of Superman.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2013, 01:18:28 PM »

Anyway, the question that remains is... is it good enough to justify a Justice League movie? I hear they are already in pre-production for Man of Steel 2 and talking on how Batman would fit that universe.

They say Nolan's Batman wouldn't fit in. I don't know, since I haven't seen the movie yet. But I see how Bruce Wayne could return to the cape *because* of Superman.

Batman saw what happened to Gotham's white knight, Harvey Dent. When someone like Superman appears in the role of "Earth's White Knight", Bruce Wayne would go into full "plan ahead" Batman mode to learn more about him and how he could be stopped. For all Batman cares, Superman has more power than any man should have, a lesson we see Bruce learned giving up his technology to survey the entire city. Plus he may trust "Robin 'Nightwing' Drake" to take care of Gotham's criminals but with the advent of global extra-terrestrial bullies, Bruce could think the times require the real Batman: he is a normal human, not an alien, and *has* become a symbol of hope over unbelievable odds.
Sounds like a good approach.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »

I saw the Star Trek movie yesterday for free at the local university. Even though it was free, I probably could've come up with a better way to spend two hours. Maybe it's because I'm not a "Trekkie" or whatever, but I found it incredibly boring, despite all the action sequences and lens flare.

hopeful-christian

Faith: Very new to Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2013, 07:58:56 PM »

I saw the Star Trek movie yesterday for free at the local university. Even though it was free, I probably could've come up with a better way to spend two hours. Maybe it's because I'm not a "Trekkie" or whatever, but I found it incredibly boring, despite all the action sequences and lens flare.
As someone who's enjoyed several Star Trek movies and some of the show, it's not because you don't like Star Trek. It's because it was an action film that, as far as action films go, was somewhere between mediocre and bad.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: