Author Topic: Open Letter from Members of the Church of Jerusalem Patriarchate Regarding Monasteries  (Read 597 times)

Offline Samn!

• Elder
http://araborthodoxy.blogspot.com/2013/06/an-open-letter-to-orthodox-monasteries.html

“O Lord, O Lord, look down from heaven and behold, and visit this vine, and perfect that which Your right has planted”

“In the world you will have tribulation;
but be of a good cheer,
I have overcome the world” (John 16:33)

Our Fathers and Mothers in Christ; the Blessed Abbots and Abbesses,

On the feast of the Holy Pentecost, we, the Faithful Children of the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem convey to you our greetings on this blessed feast, beseeching the Lord to keep you in good health and grant you grace and holiness.

The Blessed Elder Paisios the Athonite points out in one of his letters that the monk distances himself from the world, not out of hatred, but out of love to the world. In this sense, through his prayer he will present more help to the world to resolve issues, that can’t be resolved by human effort, but only through divine intervention; and thus God saves the world. The monks, through their prayers, are steered by divine power, not by their illusive individual power. In view of our current time where evil prevails, we are in absolute need for divine intervention in our lives.

Please only copy a couple of paragraphs from any articles you find, so as to keep within copyright laws.  -Serb1389

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,30655.0.html 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:53:23 AM by serb1389 »

Offline theorthodoxchurch

• georgy
  • georgy
    • Orthodoxy Cognate PAGE Society
georgy

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
Jerusalem doesn't have dioceses? How does that work?

Offline Samn!

• Elder
Not very well. So far as I understand it, all of Jerusalem's bishops basically act as auxiliary bishops to the patriarch. In their parishes, the patriarch is always commemorated first, followed by the local bishop.

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
Not very well. So far as I understand it, all of Jerusalem's bishops basically act as auxiliary bishops to the patriarch. In their parishes, the patriarch is always commemorated first, followed by the local bishop.

Same in MP, OCA, here. That does not say there are no dioceses.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos

All of the bishops of the Patriarchate of Moscow do not reside in Moscow, nor do the members of the OCA Holy Synod live in DC (or NYC, when the primate there). The bishops of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem and All Palestine etc. all reside in Jerusalem, and have for centuries, even when the Patriarch didn't live there.  Dioceses, as far as they exist (except Sinai), are run by vicars.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:17:55 PM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches

All of the bishops of the Patriarchate of Moscow do not reside in Moscow, nor do the members of the OCA Holy Synod live in DC (or NYC, when the primate there). The bishops of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem and All Palestine etc. all reside in Jerusalem, and have for centuries, even when the Patriarch didn't live there.  Dioceses, as far as they exist (except Sinai), are run by vicars.

OK. That's strange.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos

All of the bishops of the Patriarchate of Moscow do not reside in Moscow, nor do the members of the OCA Holy Synod live in DC (or NYC, when the primate there). The bishops of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem and All Palestine etc. all reside in Jerusalem, and have for centuries, even when the Patriarch didn't live there.  Dioceses, as far as they exist (except Sinai), are run by vicars.

OK. That's strange.
Indeed. Unfortunately, the strangeness doesn't end there.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Gunnarr

• OC.net guru

OK. That's strange.
Indeed. Unfortunately, the strangeness doesn't end there.

Say more strange things! Please :P
I am a demonic servant! Beware!