OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 05:39:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone that has read lots of christian literature  (Read 447 times) Average Rating: 0
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« on: June 21, 2013, 09:37:04 PM »

I figure there is someone here that has read all of these, and I'm curious if I will feel bored out of my mind/find it difficult to read this in 6 weeks, plus write papers, work, do volunteer work and other stuff. I can't even find some of this stuff on the web to see what it is like.

-Augustine, Confessions, Books 1-2, pp. 3-34

-Augustine, Confessions, Books 3-6, pp. 35-110  

-Augustine, Confessions, Books 7-9, pp. 110-178  

-Pseudo-Dionysius, Mystical Theology

-Thomas Aquinas, “On Theology, Faith, and Reason” and “On the Ultimate End”

-Mechthild of Magdeburg, Flowing Light of the Godhead pp. 39-65, 69-78, 96-98, 114- 120, 152-156, 180-182, 223-228

-Martin Luther, “Freedom of a Christian”  

-Martin Luther, “Sacrament of the Body and Blood…” and “On Governmental Authority”

-John Calvin, from Books 1 and 3 of Institutes of the Christian Religion

-Martin Luther King, Jr., “What is Man?” and “Dimensions of a Complete Life”
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 09:37:49 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 10:21:36 PM »

LOL

You really got screwed over with Western theology. Is your teacher biased much? Anyhow, out of the aforementioned texts, I've only read The Confessions and possibly some of that Thomas Aquinas thing.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 10:51:48 PM »

I figure there is someone here that has read all of these, and I'm curious if I will feel bored out of my mind/find it difficult to read this in 6 weeks, plus write papers, work, do volunteer work and other stuff. I can't even find some of this stuff on the web to see what it is like.

-Mechthild of Magdeburg, Flowing Light of the Godhead pp. 39-65, 69-78, 96-98, 114- 120, 152-156, 180-182, 223-228

-Martin Luther, “Sacrament of the Body and Blood…” and “On Governmental Authority”

This stuff is a cake-walk. What grade are you in? I can't imagine much will be expected you understandingwise anyhow given how much American high schools operate.

Heck, even more American Universities aren't going to ask much of you after reading this lightweight nonsense. They did include MLK after all.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 11:06:23 PM »

the amazon kindle online has free text of some books, including some by Luther, and possibly the others as well
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 11:07:25 PM »

the amazon kindle online has free text of some books, including some by Luther, and possibly the others as well

epubwhatever probably has some terrible translation of everything he listed.

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 11:11:28 PM »

This stuff is a cake-walk. What grade are you in? I can't imagine much will be expected you understandingwise anyhow given how much American high schools operate.

Heck, even more American Universities aren't going to ask much of you after reading this lightweight nonsense. They did include MLK after all.

Good thing I didn't go to an American high school I guess. Its a literature class, not a theology class. The main point is writing.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 11:23:48 PM »

LOL

You really got screwed over with Western theology. Is your teacher biased much? Anyhow, out of the aforementioned texts, I've only read The Confessions and possibly some of that Thomas Aquinas thing.

Well, "I" didn't as I'm probably not going to take the class.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 11:32:25 PM »

Good thing I didn't go to an American high school I guess. Its a literature class, not a theology class. The main point is writing.

Weird. Strange list for a literature class.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 05:02:04 AM »

Where are you taking your secondary education? From you other posts, it seemed you weren't in university, but maybe I have you confused with another. Where you the one talking about GMO and "scientists"?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 05:03:12 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 05:34:25 AM »

What kind of literature teacher asks their students to read the Mystical Theology?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 05:34:55 AM »

What kind of literature teacher asks their students to read the Mystical Theology?

They don't.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 11:30:40 AM »

Probably the kind that chooses to ignore the Norton anthologies.

To the OP: Head over to Project Gutenberg to read/download the uncopyrighted items on your list and see how you find them.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:31:35 AM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 06:24:46 PM »

Its religious literature.  Roll Eyes
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 12:05:24 AM »

Its religious literature.  Roll Eyes

Except it isn't. Again, were you the same one talking about "scientists"?

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: