OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 02:59:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling Daughter into Slavery  (Read 778 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« on: June 21, 2013, 01:21:36 PM »

While we're at it, this ditty from the old television show "West Wing" popped into my head:

"President Bartlet: "I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I had you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be?

While thinking about that, can I ask another? My chief of staff, Leo McGarry, insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or is it okay to call the police?

Here's one that's really important because we've got a lot of sports fans in this town. Touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point?

Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side-by-side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you? "
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/non_aviation/read.main/1704962/

Enough troll feeding allready. This stuff was dealt within THE FIRST CENTURIES OF CHRISTIANITY.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 01:22:00 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 01:23:54 PM »

What is going on in this thread?  Huh
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 01:50:04 PM »

Depends if she is uppity.  If so, a little slavery might cure her of it.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 02:13:27 PM »

What is going on in this thread?  Huh

Why is this thread?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 02:21:21 PM »

Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side-by-side?

Where's the fun in getting stoned if you can't have everyone joining in? Cheesy

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 02:30:09 PM »

...yet Americans have no problem cherry picking homosexuality to condemn and persecute while dismissing the dozens of other rules in that document  Wink

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »

What is this I don't even?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 04:59:14 PM »

...yet Americans have no problem cherry picking homosexuality to condemn and persecute while dismissing the dozens of other rules in that document  Wink

Understanding scripture and the theology behind it is not cherry-picking, despite what pop anti-Christian arguments would have you believe.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 06:19:49 PM »

Understanding scripture and the theology behind it is not cherry-picking, despite what pop anti-Christian arguments would have you believe.
+1

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 07:07:03 PM »

Cannot think why this thread has popped up. Under the Justinian reform of Roman Law I recall that fathers, and fathers only, might kill a daughter who bought dishonour on her family - this still happens today among Moslem families in my city, the difference is it happens now not then, the killing may be undertaken by any or several of the family but although a practice in some communities it isn't legal now. And it has long ceased to legal in any country whose civic structures were Christian in origin. That said I think an ancient law is still on the books which allows for the killing of any Welshman found in the English city of Chester at night.

If we dig round in the corners of history we may find things done then were very different, shock, horror. Smiley

As to slavery I remember being offered money for my daughters in Turkey, I guess my expression was all the answer the scoundrel needed in response
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 10:42:09 PM »

While we're at it, this ditty from the old television show "West Wing" popped into my head:

"President Bartlet: "I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I had you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be?

While thinking about that, can I ask another? My chief of staff, Leo McGarry, insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or is it okay to call the police?

Here's one that's really important because we've got a lot of sports fans in this town. Touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point?

Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side-by-side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you? "

Enough troll feeding allready. This stuff was dealt within THE FIRST CENTURIES OF CHRISTIANITY.

So is this tongue and cheek to mock God's words in the Torah?

I often wonder if this forum is more loaded with atheists seeking a form of theosis, more so than humbling themselves before God's will.   

For the OP, much of that was eradicated by the 2nd covenant.  It doesn't make some stuff less sinful, only the result of the punishment.  (Whoever is without sin, let him be the first to cast a stone).

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 10:44:05 PM »

I often wonder if this forum is more loaded with atheists seeking a form of theosis, more so than humbling themselves before God's will.   

For the OP, much of that was eradicated by the 2nd covenant.  It doesn't make some stuff less sinful, only the result of the punishment.  (Whoever is without sin, let him be the first to cast a stone).
How many sheep do you ask for your daughters?
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 10:44:52 PM »

None, are you making fun of God?

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 10:46:27 PM »

what's funnier is to take bible as having an answer to every human dilemma across centuries.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 10:47:09 PM »

More evidence of you confusing God as the subject of a sentence, when the subject is yourself.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 10:49:43 PM »

More evidence of you confusing God as the subject of a sentence, when the subject is yourself.

Well I'm not here to argue.  They are making fun of Torah, plain and simple.   Obviously there are many on this forum that have no love for God, nor respect for the 1st covenant.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 10:53:33 PM »

Well I'm not here to argue.  They are making fun of Torah, plain and simple.   Obviously there are many on this forum that have no love for God, nor respect for the 1st covenant.

Obviously there are few on this forum that reject 1,484 years of the 2nd covenant and worship a "God" not recognized in the 1st covenant..
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 10:54:48 PM »

Given your proclaimed stances on childrearing you might want to revisit Christ's affirmation on the reduction of the decalog into two commands, especially the second one.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 10:56:06 PM »

Obviously there are few on this forum that reject 1,484 years of the 2nd covenant and worship a "God" not recognized in the 1st covenant..

Don't talk his talk. Two covenants plays to his position. God has a single covenant. That is all.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 10:57:30 PM »

Or who lie about the first 1484 years of the 2nd covenant.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 10:58:21 PM »

Given your proclaimed stances on childrearing you might want to revisit Christ's affirmation on the reduction of the decalog into two commands, especially the second one.

And how many children do you have?

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 10:59:13 PM »

Seven.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 11:00:11 PM »

Don't talk his talk. Two covenants plays to his position. God has a single covenant. That is all.

Read the book of Hebrews, clearly the earliest Christians recognized a 2nd covenant.... As did communion...

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 11:01:41 PM »

Seven.

So you don't have children and you want to give smack to a person with 5 children child rearing lessons.  Could I also assume you are single and in your 20's?

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 11:02:43 PM »

Seven.

So you don't have children and you want to give smack to a person with 5 children child rearing lessons.  Could I also assume you are single and in your 20's?

Keep assuming, cause it is funny. It shows even how much less insight you have into the world than we already know.

TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 11:03:57 PM »

Seven.

You could make that assumption about him, but, when you assume you make, and theyve always said, an ass out of u and me, and personally, you are quite welcome to make yourself an ass, or even into one, but leave the rest of us out of it.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 11:05:59 PM »

Seven.

Keep assuming, cause it is funny. It shows even how much less insight you have into the world than we already know.

Don't really care.  So, just let me know when you have something actually important to contribute to the forum.   The only things I see from you are trollish fights, ridicule, and commentaries.    

Of course, I stir debate.  It sometimes gets into knock down drag out fights.  But I articulate what I say around scriptures, church teachings, and quote passages and Christian texts.   On the other hand, I just watch sly comments fly from your fingers - basically meriting nothing, but ego feeding on the most pathetic imaginable level.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 11:06:20 PM »

That's your opinion.  Everything you say here has been repudiated to the nth degree; yet, you keep coming back for more.  Do you enjoy being repudiated?  Is that the life lessons you teach your children ... wait, I said I don't care about what you do while you care about the EO and use of rings, icons, iconostas, et al.  Did one of your children come to you and ask why does his homeschooled friend's parents use icons and wear wedding rings?
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 11:08:03 PM »

Seven.

You could make that assumption about him, but, when you assume you make, and theyve always said, an ass out of u and me, and personally, you are quite welcome to make yourself an ass, or even into one, but leave the rest of us out of it.

The thing is, he/she/it just made a comment on my parenting, stating he/she/it has seven children.  Of course these children are not really talked about, whereas I see many other posters here reference their very few children even.  So I'm most likely getting commentary and ridicule by a childless person, about parenting - when I have 5 children.  Ridiculous.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 11:09:02 PM »

Seven.

The thing is, he/she/it just made a comment on my parenting, stating he/she/it has seven children.  Of course these children are not really talked about, whereas I see many other posters here reference their very few children even.  So I'm most likely getting commentary and ridicule by a childless person, about parenting - when I have 5 children.  Ridiculous.

So you should be listening to Octomom?

Do you ever make sense?

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2013, 11:09:48 PM »

"Physician, heal thyself."  If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

You constantly mock Holy Tradition and Orthodox belief by cherry picking scripture when you know darn well what the Orthodox answer will be.

Most of us can accept and respect people who reach alternative conclusions about faith.  Fine, you reject the Orthodox Church. You want to create your vision of what you believe to believe  Christianity of the Apostolic era looked like . Fine, it's a free country, but don't complain when you keep coming back time and again with the same old, same old over and over again again and you don't like the answers. It's not like the answers will be any different.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2013, 11:23:48 PM »

Seven.

Do you ever make sense?

So now you contort another troll.  A man who has been married for two decades, has 5 children, to listen to a woman who is single, no father around, and a mess - merely to make a point that having children doesn't make you an expert.  Nice exception to the rule to make your point.

Point being, you have no ground to stand on if you have no children to even dare speak of my parenting.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »

"Physician, heal thyself."  If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

You constantly mock Holy Tradition and Orthodox belief by cherry picking scripture when you know darn well what the Orthodox answer will be.

Most of us can accept and respect people who reach alternative conclusions about faith.  Fine, you reject the Orthodox Church. You want to create your vision of what you believe to believe  Christianity of the Apostolic era looked like . Fine, it's a free country, but don't complain when you keep coming back time and again with the same old, same old over and over again again and you don't like the answers. It's not like the answers will be any different.

Okay, so I 'mock' Orthodox Tradition, and the Orthodox OP on this thread mocks Torah - you know - the words of God recorded by Moses.

Also I'm not "creating" anything, unless you can show me where I posted fake stuff.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 11:33:19 PM »

Seven.

Do you ever make sense?

So now you contort another troll.  A man who has been married for two decades, has 5 children, to listen to a woman who is single, no father around, and a mess - merely to make a point that having children doesn't make you an expert.  Nice exception to the rule to make your point.

Point being, you have no ground to stand on if you have no children to even dare speak of my parenting.

Sure I do.

I raised a kid. Never had to hit someone I had nearly complete control over. Heck, I rarely have to hit adults I little control when they get out of line. Now folks who are rather impotent do tend to lash out.

Oh, and people I love in general, I am not forcing them to be homeless and without food anytime soon just cause they won't tow my sexual moral line, especially after isolating them in my highly controlled world

And I don't read the Bible and ask any woman I've been with if I can RP some patriarch and have multiple wives.

I am sorta crazy like that.

And if someone makes a joke about selling daughters into slavery at the expense of the Bible, I don't get hurt over it, again cause I am not fixin' to role play anything of that stuff.

Five kids, not sure how you even find time to post here. Dealing with one really wreaked havoc on my internetz.

But hey, I am sure you have a wineskin with Father of the Year burnt into it, so I should probably just listen to your pearls of wisdom.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 11:57:46 PM »

For the OP, much of that was eradicated by the 2nd covenant.  It doesn't make some stuff less sinful, only the result of the punishment.  (Whoever is without sin, let him be the first to cast a stone).

"Physician, heal thyself."  If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Most of us can accept and respect people who reach alternative conclusions about faith.  Fine, you reject the Orthodox Church. You want to create your vision of what you believe to believe  Christianity of the Apostolic era looked like . Fine, it's a free country, but don't complain when you keep coming back time and again with the same old, same old over and over again again and you don't like the answers. It's not like the answers will be any different.

Okay, so I 'mock' Orthodox Tradition, and the Orthodox OP on this thread mocks Torah - you know - the words of God recorded by Moses.

Also I'm not "creating" anything, unless you can show me where I posted fake stuff.

I am not mocking the Bible. We believe as Orthodox Chistians that scripture is part of the picture. I am using linguistic contradictions and anachronisms contained therein to argue against  those who are outside of God's Orthodox Church and who view the Bible as some sort of uncontradictory, all the answers are there for the finding, " I can figure it out for myself" guide book book to life, while clearly rejecting the teaching of the Fathers, the councils and Orthodox Tradition.

Frankly you remind me of the the small child that asks a question and keeps asking it over and over, fully expecting a different answer. Two plus two is always going to equal four, no matter how many times you ask. (And I have some experience with children, having raised three who are adults who are good people and who have kept the Faith.)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:59:51 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2013, 01:09:31 AM »

For the OP, much of that was eradicated by the 2nd covenant.  It doesn't make some stuff less sinful, only the result of the punishment.  (Whoever is without sin, let him be the first to cast a stone).

Well I'm not here to argue.  They are making fun of Torah, plain and simple.   Obviously there are many on this forum that have no love for God, nor respect for the 1st covenant.

so you are confessing your sin.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:09:47 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2013, 01:23:17 AM »

then there are those who have no love nor respect for your caricatures of both.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2013, 01:25:46 AM »

such as? Wink

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2013, 02:04:12 AM »

such as? Wink

Eating bacon and animals that chew the cud. We Americans are the biggest consumers of beef in the world AFAIK.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2013, 08:35:19 AM »

such as? Wink

Eating bacon and animals that chew the cud. We Americans are the biggest consumers of beef in the world AFAIK.
Beef is kosher.

No penalty is imposed in the Torah for eating bacon.  And the NT declares it, along with all other foods, clean.  The same cannot be said of homosexual activity.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: