OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 08:52:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wedding rings?  (Read 2885 times) Average Rating: 0
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2013, 08:37:43 AM »

My wedding ring is made from enriched uranium.  Not flashy at all, but I do seem to continually develop tumors on my finger.

Cheesy

Wedding rings are made of gold, which is virtually immune to the vagaries of time and life, to denote the eternity of the bond they are an outward sign of. No more, no less. (Ours are two-tone, white centre with yellow edges, and set us back just under £300.)

If my husband had proposed with a gumball ring, I'd still have had him. But I'm happy I can save my white gold and aquamarine engagement ring (hopefully) for my future daughter-in-law.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2013, 09:49:09 AM »

Gold was used in Solomon's temple, and that was O. K.  Specifically, which Scriptures about gold and costly array are you referring to?

1 Timothy 2:9 - In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

1 Peter 3:3 - Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

So braids are out also?

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2013, 09:54:56 AM »

How much more ridiculous are your threads going to get?

Well, these threads are somewhat educational, if only in a cautionary way: to show the limitations and pitfalls of individual idiosyncratic interpretations of Scripture.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2013, 10:13:55 AM »

In my opinion, if a wedding ring is a percentage of your paycheck then go for it.  I don't see how this is any more frivolous than the other things you would probably have spent the money on.  If the ring is a percentage of your yearly salary then you are probably being frivolous.  Furthermore, if the woman is demanding a ring that costs that much you probably ought to consider drawing her a map that ends at the curb.  My mother likes to quote a passage from the Good Book that I find much more compelling than the ones already quoted - it is better to live on the roof top than to share a bed with a contentious wife.  If the man is demanding an expensive ring...I have bad news for you ladies, he may never run off with another woman, but that doesn't mean he may never run off.   Shocked

The problem with spending too much on anything related to the wedding is that if you spend a little is helps weed out those who want to get married, just don't want to be married. 

As for materials, I love Tungsten but Gold is my favorite element.  It is just so beautiful!  I would rather have it in the form of the Krugerrand, personally, or potentially an ingot, but a ring could be ok.  I think that the plain gold ring has a degree of simplicity.  Despite the difference in costs, the Tungsten ring would be much more ostentatious and would probably violate the spirit of the rule moreso than the Gold one would.  As for diamonds, I have no use for them except on a drill bit.  They are WAAAAY overpriced compared to their worth and relative rarity.  And I don't know why some African kid needs to die for vanity's sake.  Screw that.  Rubies or Sapphires are much more pretty (and the sapphire is my GF's birthstone...mine too).  Otherwise, if someone were to be set on a diamond because they actually like that plain stone, then seeing if you could find a Russian lab diamond would probably be better than feeding the De Beers more money.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2013, 10:15:04 AM »

I sometimes feel the Catholic Church was right forbidding people from reading Bibles by themselves.

I really want to disagree with you.  Really, really badly.  I just don't know if I can.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2013, 10:49:37 AM »

Well, these threads are somewhat educational, if only in a cautionary way: to show the limitations and pitfalls of individual idiosyncratic interpretations of Scripture.
+1

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2013, 10:51:19 AM »

As for diamonds, I have no use for them except on a drill bit.  They are WAAAAY overpriced compared to their worth and relative rarity.

I love moissanite, I just wish my wife would have accepted that instead of a diamond.  They are pretty and cheaper.

LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2013, 10:57:15 AM »

As for diamonds, I have no use for them except on a drill bit.  They are WAAAAY overpriced compared to their worth and relative rarity.

I love moissanite, I just wish my wife would have accepted that instead of a diamond.  They are pretty and cheaper.

A carborundum-set ring? Sorry, I can't resist. All I can think of is wet-rub paper, separating disks and non-slip tape.  laugh laugh
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »

A carborundum-set ring? Sorry, I can't resist. All I can think of is wet-rub paper, separating disks and non-slip tape.  laugh laugh
lol, hey it is better than highly compressed poop and dead animals. Why do women want to wear THAT on their hand?  Wink

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2013, 11:34:02 AM »

True story: when we got married, we got plain silver rings (I'm allergic to gold - no kidding!), bought them at Target, and a silver "claddagh" ring as an engagement ring (also very inexpensive). When we had our marriage blessed in the Orthodox Church, my husband got me another silver ring to wear on my right hand.
It is inscribed: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."
I never take either one off.

St. John Chrysostom
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2013, 11:46:15 AM »

True story: when we got married, we got plain silver rings (I'm allergic to gold - no kidding!), bought them at Target, and a silver "claddagh" ring as an engagement ring (also very inexpensive). When we had our marriage blessed in the Orthodox Church, my husband got me another silver ring to wear on my right hand.

Actually the rubrics of some older Euchologia speak of a golden (or ... iron) ring for the groom and a silver one for the bride.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2013, 11:53:16 AM »

Actually the rubrics of some older Euchologia speak of a golden (or ... iron) ring for the groom and a silver one for the bride.

What, he gets gold and I get a measly silver ring? I don't think so!  Wink

St. John Chrysostom
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2013, 12:20:46 PM »

True story: when we got married, we got plain silver rings (I'm allergic to gold - no kidding!), bought them at Target...
Costly adornment, straight out of an unlabeled drawer at Walmart.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:21:11 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »

True story: when we got married, we got plain silver rings (I'm allergic to gold - no kidding!), bought them at Target...

Okay - I did some back catalogue searching:

My engagement ring
Our wedding rings

Sheesh, prices have rocketed since the beginning of the recession...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:32:34 PM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2013, 12:38:16 PM »

Okay - I did some back catalogue searching:

My engagement ring
Our wedding rings

Sheesh, prices have rocketed since the beginning of the recession...

Both silver and gold skyrocketted.  Add in some obscene mark-up and voila!  I wonder if rings were more expensive a year ago, as precious metals have been going down?
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2013, 03:52:11 PM »

I like diamonds. Sue me. Wink Actually, the diamond in my engagement ring was my grandmother's (who I am extremely close to), so besides its meaning as it relates to my marriage, it is extraordinarily meaningful to me because it was hers. Now, the diamonds on my neck and d-diamonds on my grille are another story.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2013, 09:53:34 PM »

Gold was used in Solomon's temple, and that was O. K.  Specifically, which Scriptures about gold and costly array are you referring to?

1 Timothy 2:9 - In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

1 Peter 3:3 - Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

So braids are out also?

You'd have to ask Peter.   Undecided  He wrote it.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2013, 09:54:25 PM »

That's why I'm asking.  So what would your interpretation be of 1 Peter 3:3 ?

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2013, 09:57:24 PM »

According to the scriptures, they say Gold is.   Huh     It tells us not to adorn ourselves with Gold, straight up.  Hence the concern.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2013, 10:51:03 PM »

The scriptures tell us not to adorn ourselves with costly array, including Gold.

Wedding rings were first a tradition of the pagans as well.

Should Christians be wearing them?
James (2:2) the Brother of God had no problem with it.  But feel free to make problems for yourself.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2013, 10:54:19 PM »

The scriptures tell us not to adorn ourselves with costly array, including Gold.

James (2:2) the Brother of God had no problem with it.  But feel free to make problems for yourself.

That didn't give a Christian permission to wear gold, it merely talked about not treating people badly based on their appearance.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2013, 10:56:18 PM »

Iron wedding crowns are so much cooler than flowers.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2013, 10:58:21 PM »

According to the scriptures, they say Gold is.   Huh     It tells us not to adorn ourselves with Gold, straight up.  Hence the concern.

I think your capitalization of gold is concerning.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2013, 11:03:11 PM »

That's why I'm asking.  So what would your interpretation be of 1 Peter 3:3 ?
Easy: the gold shouldn't be gold plating, but solid gold down to the heart.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2013, 11:04:11 PM »

James (2:2) the Brother of God had no problem with it.  But feel free to make problems for yourself.
That didn't give a Christian permission to wear gold, it merely talked about not treating people badly based on their appearance.
You notice (of course you didn't) that they let the gold wearer into the Assembly.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:05:02 PM by ialmisry » Logged

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2013, 11:09:09 PM »

Only the married ones.

Do you think gold ones okay despite being forbidden?
Since they are not forbidden (except to Sunni Muslims) not a problem.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2013, 11:09:32 PM »

I think your capitalization of gold is concerning.

Smiley   Glad you noticed.   God Bless.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2013, 11:10:22 PM »

Do you walk around buck naked all the time?

Unless you do, you're wearing something that costs something.

Well the scriptures were describing gold, pearls, or costly array.  I'm sorry this is ridiculous to you...? I see Christians everywhere wearing gold, yet, the scriptures seem to forbid them.
only to the unstable who are twisting the Scriptures to their own destruction.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2013, 11:25:59 PM »

I have to wear gold.  Other metals deterriate on me.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2013, 11:26:10 PM »

Probably not. But then again, having a way to identify whether or not someone is married is good. I think the question is why does it have to be gold? Why not bronze, aluminum or even plastic? Both will get the job done (although, admittedly, gold doesn't deteriorate as easily over time). Besides, the meaning of the ring consists (or should consist) in the sentimental value of your marriage it represents, not on the quality of metal it is.

I agree.  The main question I have is in the material used.   Tungsten will even get the job done and is very tough... 
Not really.  The idea is to have the wedding ring be distinctive.  Tungsten is not.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2013, 11:30:04 PM »

Well the scriptures were describing gold, pearls, or costly array.  I'm sorry this is ridiculous to you...? I see Christians everywhere wearing gold, yet, the scriptures seem to forbid them.

Could you PLEASE explain to me (I am not arguing with you just want an explanation), how when the scriptures say "Do not wear gold", I am unstable and twisting the scriptures by stating "Christians shouldn't wear gold". 

Seriously, I just want to know how I am twisting, distorting, or misconstruing the scriptures??

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2013, 11:33:11 PM »

Could you PLEASE explain to me (I am not arguing with you just want an explanation), how when the scriptures say "Do not wear gold", I am unstable and twisting the scriptures by stating "Christians shouldn't wear gold". 

Seriously, I just want to know how I am twisting, distorting, or misconstruing the scriptures??
For starters, reading into them "Do not wear gold" where no such verse exists.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2013, 11:49:44 PM »

Could costly/fancy array, gold, etc., have to do with Isaiah 3:18-25?

16 Moreover the Lord saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet:

17 Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the Lord will discover their secret parts.

18 In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon,

19 The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers,

20 The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings,

21 The rings, and nose jewels,

22 The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins,

23 The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails.

24 And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty.

25 Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy mighty in the war.

No. With Ezekiel 16:8-14

8Now when I passed by thee, and looked upon thee, behold, thy time was the time of love; and I spread my skirt over thee, and covered thy nakedness: yea, I sware unto thee, and entered into a covenant with thee, saith the Lord GOD, and thou becamest mine.

9Then washed I thee with water; yea, I throughly washed away thy blood from thee, and I anointed thee with oil.

10I clothed thee also with broidered work, and shod thee with badgers' skin, and I girded thee about with fine linen, and I covered thee with silk.

11I decked thee also with ornaments, and I put bracelets upon thy hands, and a chain on thy neck.

12And I put a jewel on thy forehead, and earrings in thine ears, and a beautiful crown upon thine head.

13Thus wast thou decked with gold and silver; and thy raiment was of fine linen, and silk, and broidered work; thou didst eat fine flour, and honey, and oil: and thou wast exceeding beautiful, and thou didst prosper into a kingdom.

14And thy renown went forth among the heathen for thy beauty: for it was perfect through my comeliness, which I had put upon thee, saith the Lord GOD.

And of course Genesis 24:12-22

12And he said, O LORD God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and shew kindness unto my master Abraham.

13Behold, I stand here by the well of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water:

14And let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and she shall say, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: let the same be she that thou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac; and thereby shall I know that thou hast shewed kindness unto my master.

15And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, with her pitcher upon her shoulder.

16And the damsel was very fair to look upon, a virgin, neither had any man known her: and she went down to the well, and filled her pitcher, and came up.

17And the servant ran to meet her, and said, Let me, I pray thee, drink a little water of thy pitcher.

18And she said, Drink, my lord: and she hasted, and let down her pitcher upon her hand, and gave him drink.

19And when she had done giving him drink, she said, I will draw water for thy camels also, until they have done drinking.

20And she hasted, and emptied her pitcher into the trough, and ran again unto the well to draw water, and drew for all his camels.

21And the man wondering at her held his peace, to wit whether the LORD had made his journey prosperous or not.

22And it came to pass, as the camels had done drinking, that the man took a golden earring of half a shekel weight, and two bracelets for her hands of ten shekels weight of gold

And Haggai 2:23: In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, will I take thee, O Zerubbabel, my servant, the son of Shealtiel, saith the LORD, and will make thee as a signet: for I have chosen thee, saith the LORD of hosts.

IIRC, they are all mentioned in the genealogy of the Christ.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2013, 12:01:44 AM »

From the Orthodox betrothal service:

Lord our God, You journeyed with the servant of the Patriarch Abraham in Mesopotamia when he was sent to obtain a wife for his lord Isaac, and by means of drawing water You revealed that he should betroth Rebecca. Bless the betrothal of Your servants N. and M. and make firm the word that they have spoken. Confirm them with the holy unity that comes from You. For it was You who in the beginning created male and female, and it is by You that woman is linked to man as a helper and for the continuation of the human race. Therefore, Lord our God, who sent truth out to Your inheritance and your promise to your servants, our fathers, your elect in every generation, look on Your servant N. and Your servant M., and make firm their betrothal in faith and concord and truth and love. For it is You, Lord, who declared that times a pledge is to be given and made firm in everything. By a ring authority was given to Joseph in Egypt. By a ring Daniel was glorified in the country of Babylon. By a ring the truth of Thamar was revealed. By a ring our heavenly Father showed compassion to the prodigal son. For he said, ‘Put a ring on his hand and bring out and slay the fatted calf, and let us eat and be joyful’. It was Your right hand, Lord, that armed Moses at the Red Sea, for through Your true word the heavens were made firm and the earth set on its foundations. And the right hand of Your servants will be blessed by Your mighty word and by Your upraised arm. Therefore, Master, with Your heavenly blessing now bless also this putting-on of rings. And may an Angel of the Lord go before them all the days of their lives. For you are the One who blesses and sanctifies all things, and to You we give glory, to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, now and for ever, and to the ages of ages.

The richness of this prayer cannot be underestimated.

Agree, in consideration,
The ring given to Joseph was by a pagan (not specified gold)
One to whom, unlike you, God revealed His Word.
Daniel's lion den was sealed by a pagan with a ring (nebuchadnezzar)
The same one who raised up God's Temple.
Thamars truth was that she was going to be paid the ring for prostitution (with other stuff)
No, your lie.  Thamar was paid a goat.  The ring was Judah's word and pledge (the same mentioned in the genealogy of the Christ).

So that leaves the prodigal son.  Check.
Not really, but that is more than enough.

That said, the story does not specify the ring type?   Our other scriptures speak against using gold or rich materials for any type of array.

Your ignorance of the Scriptures is showing.  Again.

I'm more or less thinking about the gold/silver/diamonds in rings... Should Christians be using these riches in their rings?
Yes.

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2013, 08:30:44 PM »

So braids are out also?

You'd have to ask Peter.   Undecided  He wrote it.

What about gold plaits?  Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2013, 10:12:20 PM »

You're not in the least. Like usual, people's arguments against the plain simple meaning of the Bible are facile. Abraham gave his wives rings, so apparently Babylonian and proto-Bedouin cultural traditions trump Jesus? The metaphorical adorning Israel with jewels as a reward does too, apparently. These arguments don't even make an iota of sense, yet everyone is always giving each other pats on the back like they nailed it. Its like a horror movie where people have no reasoning at all.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2013, 10:24:09 PM »

... and a silver "claddagh" ring as an engagement ring (also very inexpensive).

Cool!  My wedding ring is actually a silver claddagh straight from Erin.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2013, 11:32:39 PM »

You're not in the least. Like usual, people's arguments against the plain simple meaning of the Bible are facile. Abraham gave his wives rings, so apparently Babylonian and proto-Bedouin cultural traditions trump Jesus? The metaphorical adorning Israel with jewels as a reward does too, apparently.
Well, well. That "Amen!" from the corner of the choir means Jesusisam has made his first proselyte. Matthew 23:15.

Cultural traditions in the Middle East don't trump Jesus.  Just your attempts to put words in His mouth.  He didn't say a thing against wearing rings, even of gold: in fact, reflecting those cultural traditions He specifies the Father put a ring (the same, according to the text, like the Babylonians) on the Prodigal's finger.  Nor did His (step)brother St. James, nor His Apostle St. Peter.

The metaphorical adorning of Israel?  Like this?:
Could costly/fancy array, gold, etc., have to do with Isaiah 3:18-25?

16 Moreover the Lord saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet:

17 Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the Lord will discover their secret parts.

18 In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon,

19 The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers,

20 The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings,

21 The rings, and nose jewels,

22 The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins,

23 The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails.

24 And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty.

25 Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy mighty in the war.

These arguments don't even make an iota of sense, yet everyone is always giving each other pats on the back like they nailed it.
And yet you pat Jesusiam's back for not making an iota of sense.

Its like a horror movie where people have no reasoning at all.
we'll have to bow to your expertise on that
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:33:27 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2013, 11:35:08 PM »

I hope those against wearing gold due to misguided religious notions hate their parents.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2013, 11:54:32 PM »

...and bake bread over flaming hot human feces. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2013, 12:20:44 AM »

This December is our 17th wedding anniversary. So our wedding rings were bought some time ago.

My husband as a comfort fit (this means rounded edges) white gold band. I paid about $100 for it. We recently had to re-rhodium plated so it is nice and shiny again. I believe the current appraisal on it (had to have one before it was rhodium plated again) was about $400 or so?

My husband paid about $400 for my engagement and wedding ring together. It is a set. The engagement ring had 2 emeralds, the wedding band has 1 emerald. They are soldered together. I believe the set appraised for closer to 1k now. I specifically told him that I didn't want diamonds until our diamond anniversary.

Using a less expensive medium could mean that you will have to replace the rings more often. I know that having emeralds rather than diamonds has been a slight hassle for me. Diamonds can be heated up without issue for re-sizing etc. My emeralds have to be removed for any work that is done on my rings.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:21:20 AM by Quinault » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2013, 05:25:23 AM »

I've been looking for the owner of this fist for some time now. You have a certain evening to answer for dear sir.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2013, 11:59:55 AM »

My wedding ring is made from enriched uranium.  Not flashy at all, but I do seem to continually develop tumors on my finger.

The first time I scanned that I saw 'spent uranium' i.e. depleted and thought "that would be heavy".  I worked on a system long ago that used slugs made of that as ammo so I know about their heft.  However, I found out that they use Tungsten for them now.. which brings us (sort of) on subject  Wink

I've known people who had silver wedding rings, too.  I still don't understand how a ring being given by a "pagan" somehow taints the idea of rings.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2013, 05:42:32 PM »

The first time I scanned that I saw 'spent uranium' i.e. depleted and thought "that would be heavy".  I worked on a system long ago that used slugs made of that as ammo so I know about their heft.  However, I found out that they use Tungsten for them now.. which brings us (sort of) on subject  Wink

I've known people who had silver wedding rings, too.  I still don't understand how a ring being given by a "pagan" somehow taints the idea of rings.
Because a pagan did it.  I don't know how they (jesusiam and his disciple Jason Wike) stand the alphabet to read the Bible.

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2013, 06:34:24 PM »

My wedding ring is made from enriched uranium.  Not flashy at all, but I do seem to continually develop tumors on my finger.

The first time I scanned that I saw 'spent uranium' i.e. depleted and thought "that would be heavy".  I worked on a system long ago that used slugs made of that as ammo so I know about their heft.  However, I found out that they use Tungsten for them now.. which brings us (sort of) on subject  Wink

I've known people who had silver wedding rings, too.  I still don't understand how a ring being given by a "pagan" somehow taints the idea of rings.
Because a pagan did it.  I don't know how they (jesusiam and his disciple Jason Wike) stand the alphabet to read the Bible.

No problem with a 'pagan did it', just going with the very plain, basic reading of the bible and not  jumping through hoops to say "Oh, he didn't really mean that" so I can keep all the 20th century middle class affectations of modern American/European society. Heck, actually the pagans look better because there's no church that doesn't take something simple and indisputable in the bible and ignore it - there's nothing that distinguishes any Christian from a non-Christian anymore.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 06:37:24 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: