OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:40:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ending World Hunger - Monsanto  (Read 832 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2013, 12:49:56 AM »

I cannot suffer anymore foolishness for the day, time to try to sleep.

Jason, keep proving my point. It helps with the exhaustion of the hands.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2013, 12:50:28 AM »

Maybe they can feed the people they horribly disfigured with the use of Agent Orange.

News flash, no one uses that anymore.  Havent for a long, long time.

People are still born disfigured in Vietnam from Agent Orange use.

Six words for you Mr. Infinite Justice:

M I A P O W.

Never forget.

Never.

Well I just spent thirty minutes reading up on this and now have three more tabs open. Why would you do this to me?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2013, 12:52:45 AM »

And GMO refers to whatever someone wants it to refer to.

I literally read a label the other day about a "GMO free" product. The * above GMO lead to a disclaimer such as the following:

We use only ingredients provided to us by suppliers who do not use biotechnology in principle.

What does that mean?

Nothing.

Nothing.

Look at the precious wikipedia for the click-a-thon that is GMO.

That is for food labeling purposes, which is mucked up by the fact that the people in charge of it just as often have no clue what they're talking about and don't particularly care. Scientifically it is very clear what is and is not GMO. Crossing two species of Capsicum or Seagulls, which can happen naturally, is not GMO. Plucking out an allele from a jelly fish and sticking it in a pig is. There is no grey area for biologists or any other scientist.

LOL!

So I am right except when we talk to you and your peer group. And talk to me about science or consumer products, I work for one the largest companies out there doing it.

Now you work for Proctor & Gamble?  I thought you were employed in a Philosophy department at a university.

And trust me, the sniggering is epic.

And don't include someone with a biology degree or who claims to practice biology in the same sentence with science. Nonsense.

What do philosophers know about this topic?
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2013, 12:56:42 AM »

Tilling the land without pesticides and herbicides and GMO seeds can be done profitably.

No it can't.

Have you ever raised a single plant?

How about farmed?

There's at least a dozen organic commercial farms in my area that prove other wise. And yes, I've grown vegetables for 20 years since I was old enough to understand it. The important difference between what you probably experienced and what they do is they are not buying their seeds from just anywhere and are using improved cultivars that have been selected to resist various diseases (which before someone chimes in, "That's GMO!", as always happens in discussions like this, they are not. GMO strictly refers to transgenic organisms where DNA is removed from the nucleus of one organism and inserted into another, never things developed by breeding).

No they don't.

They don't kill anything in the cultivation of the plant? Nothing?

Cause that is amazing. The need to get published for violating Newton's Eighth Law of Motion.

Who knew you could have your seed and eat it too?

Is this about 'pesticides' and 'herbicides' being techniques, not just chemicals, as you were talking about in another post above? Actually those are defined as substances ('chemicals') and not practices, killing a pest is not 'pesticide' even though it could look that way.

It certainly is.

Want to crack open the etymology of pesticide?

What about that crazy tobacco that killed those crazy critters that attacked the tomato plants.

See, before you say "tomato" I was planting what you kidz call "heirloom" and "native" seeds, cause they were more resistant. We just said the latter. Dumb country people just using what grew the easiest.

Then the kidz argued whether using tobacco spray was organic or not.

Please. You kill stuff to grow stuff. We can argue over the hows and wherefores, but don't sell me a load of nonsense. Or start lecturing me on of all thing what a "chemical" is.

I never said they didn't kill things, you're arguing with no one and getting in a tizzy about nothing.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2013, 05:46:58 AM »

Monsanto Executive Is Among World Food Prize Winners

For the first time in its 27-year history, a prestigious award for enhancing the global food supply has gone to a creator of genetically modified crops, a top scientist at Monsanto.

. . . .

The prize was started in 1987 by Norman E. Borlaug, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970 for bringing about the Green Revolution, which vastly increased grain output, and who thought there should be a Nobel Prize for agriculture. The award is given to those who improve the “quality, quantity or availability” of food in the world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/20/business/monsanto-executive-is-among-world-food-prize-winners.html?_r=0

What a farce!

If anyone believes the NYT, with all their propaganda, they are a fool. Fools are born a dime a dozen.

The NY Slimes might be a propaganda rag, but there are times when they do tell the truth.  Besides, I don't think it was them that awarded the prize, or did I miss something again?

Maria has an agenda. To her, It is more important for the world to shell out more and more money for organic food which may or may not be better for you rather than to research and make crops which can feed more people worldwide at a fraction of the cost and do more to alleviate famine.

S works secretly for Monsanto and promotes their evil monopoly whether he knows it or not.

Tilling the land without pesticides and herbicides and GMO seeds can be done profitably.
However, Monsanto wants to get their hands on everything.

Nice retort.  It's a wonder more people don't take you seriously.  Argue facts, not ad hominems.

Yes, I've noticed that. One could easily think Maria incapable of arguing facts.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2013, 07:24:26 AM »

Monsanto Executive Is Among World Food Prize Winners

For the first time in its 27-year history, a prestigious award for enhancing the global food supply has gone to a creator of genetically modified crops, a top scientist at Monsanto.

. . . .

The prize was started in 1987 by Norman E. Borlaug, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970 for bringing about the Green Revolution, which vastly increased grain output, and who thought there should be a Nobel Prize for agriculture. The award is given to those who improve the “quality, quantity or availability” of food in the world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/20/business/monsanto-executive-is-among-world-food-prize-winners.html?_r=0

What a farce!

If anyone believes the NYT, with all their propaganda, they are a fool. Fools are born a dime a dozen.

The NY Slimes might be a propaganda rag, but there are times when they do tell the truth.  Besides, I don't think it was them that awarded the prize, or did I miss something again?

Maria has an agenda. To her, It is more important for the world to shell out more and more money for organic food which may or may not be better for you rather than to research and make crops which can feed more people worldwide at a fraction of the cost and do more to alleviate famine.

S works secretly for Monsanto and promotes their evil monopoly whether he knows it or not.

However, Monsanto wants to get their hands on everything.

Nice retort.  It's a wonder more people don't take you seriously.  Argue facts, not ad hominems.

Yes, I've noticed that. One could easily think Maria incapable of arguing facts.
Maria = Jason Bourne mixed with Erin Brokovich.....without genetic manipulation of course.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2013, 09:19:48 AM »

B.S.

It must be exhausting to be so wrong. Let it be, friend. You too can find your inner hippie!

Nature is amazing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL_azA78Hi0

It must be nice to be oblivious to irony  Wink.  But, I still think you're wrong  Grin.  Eating meat is not the cause of world hunger.  Do the research--there's plenty of food in the world, it's just "unevenly" distributed.  Or so I've heard.

My "inner hippie" died long ago--when I came to my senses, got clean, and cut my hair.  Kiss

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2013, 09:44:48 AM »

Genocide: Controlling world hunger since 3000 BC.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2013, 09:59:59 AM »

The URL would suggest divination.

Huh  Sorry, pal, that one gave me windburn.

This didn't help the windburn.  I have no idea at all what you mean by this as an explanation for orthonorm's comment.  Maybe it's my age.  Or, perhaps, the result of having consumed way too many pesticides/herbicides (not to mention pests and herbs) over the course of my life.  So, yeah...probably my age.  Please explain in simple English.  Please.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2013, 10:03:15 AM »

This didn't help the windburn.  I have no idea at all what you mean by this as an explanation for orthonorm's comment.  Maybe it's my age.  Or, perhaps, the result of having consumed way too many pesticides/herbicides (not to mention pests and herbs) over the course of my life.  So, yeah...probably my age.  Please explain in simple English.  Please.

Notice the date in the URL and the time the article was posted.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2013, 10:14:04 AM »

Notice the date in the URL and the time the article was posted.

Oh.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: