OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 01:49:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brown Rice And White Rice - its effects on our health  (Read 327 times) Average Rating: 0
emilysmith

Faith: trust in a person
Jurisdiction: constitutional law

« on: June 19, 2013, 06:58:15 AM »

Playing a role as a essential part in life, rice is always in our daily diet. There are many types of rice from which many kinds of food are processed. My friends and I enjoy a dish from brown rice by chance in a market. It is difficult for us to eat this food at first, but later some are very fond of this taste. For that, there is an special interest in brown rice among us and a discussion happens. We center on three differrences between brown rice and white rice.

The first point of discussion is their colors. White rice results after it has been refined, which invloves removing its husk, bran and germ, only the inner white kernel is left. However, brown rice removes its husk and still remains brown.

We also consider another difference between their nutritous value. Compared to white rice, brown rice is more nutritious than it. It is said that the polishing process of white rice removes important nutrients such as 67% vitamin B3, 80% vitamin B1, 90% vitamin B6...In contrast, brown rice still remain vitamins, minerals, fiber,...

Finally, we discuss about their different effects to our health. For a study by researchers from the Harvard School of Public Health in Massachusetts, whereas people who eat five or more servings of white rice per week had a seventeen percent increased risk of developing type two diabetes, those who eat two or more servings of brown rice a week has an eleven percent reduced risk of getting the disease.

In the end, we realize that brown rice and white rice play the different roles. In fact, we can't only eat brown rice in each meal instead of white rice. In addition, brown rice does not last as long as white rice because of the oil rich layer of bran, so white rice has more export value than brown rice in both the quantity and the price. On the other hand, brown rice is better for our health and provides us more nutrients than white rice. Thus, we agree to acknowledge the importance of each kinds.

Learn About Education | Watch Live TV
Santagranddad
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 08:34:12 AM »

Thank you for this contribution. Brown rice is more filling and satisfies for longer. It does take longer to cook, of course. A Tamil friend tried to get me to try red rice, with the suggestion this has benefits for diabetics. Have to confess I haven't tried it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:34:34 AM by Santagranddad » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:29:14 AM »

I dont care for white rice, but my wife does which means we eat white rice Smiley

Brown also doesnt have the starchy after effect from cooking it. Its a cleaner cook.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:49:49 AM »

Rice is nice.  I don't discriminate on the basis of color.  I'll eat it brown or white, as long as it's cooked right and has a good sauce or meat/veggie accompaniment.

Not so great if you're on the currently fashionable little or no carb diet.  Brown rice is lower in carbs, but at this point in my life I don't give a damn  Grin.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 10:21:47 AM »

I have also heard that brown rice is healther than white.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 12:45:52 PM »

Filed under irrelevant, unless you are living off of rice.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 01:07:29 PM »

Doesn't that make it relevant for a large part of the human population?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 01:20:46 PM »

That part of the human population doesn't eat enough rice for this to be much of an issue.  This is entirely a first world problem.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 01:29:47 PM »

I loled.

Rice essay as posted in the OP
http://www.essayforum.com/research-papers-11/brown-rice-white-rice-effects-health-27841/

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 01:30:40 PM »

Faith: trust in a person
Jurisdiction: constitutional law
Lol who are u

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 01:37:54 PM »

I sometimes frequent sites/youtube channels in which they argue vehemently over this stuff. Though when 90% of your diet consists of rice, asparagus, chicken and fish this is to be expected.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:39:16 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »

Thank you for this contribution. Brown rice is more filling and satisfies for longer. It does take longer to cook, of course. A Tamil friend tried to get me to try red rice, with the suggestion this has benefits for diabetics. Have to confess I haven't tried it.

The red rice is common in southern India.  It's better for you, I think, but I'm used to white rice because the red rice wasn't easily available in the US while I was growing up.  Now that it can be easily obtained, I still prefer the white rice. 

I like brown rice too, but only with Asian foods.  It took a few tries to grow on me, though.   

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 01:54:37 PM »

None that are reading this and not really. And if you want to impact the health of those who actually do in a greater manner, quibbling over brown vs. white rice ain't the way to do it. They have some interesting studies done on long term impact of adding just a few serving a week of fruits and vegetables to such persons diets. And since getting fruits and vegetables to such folks is nearly impossible there are some interesting outcomes and projects being done using "GMOs" to deliver a greater degree of nutrition in rice cultivated to address their needs.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 02:10:29 PM »

None that are reading this and not really. And if you want to impact the health of those who actually do in a greater manner, quibbling over brown vs. white rice ain't the way to do it. They have some interesting studies done on long term impact of adding just a few serving a week of fruits and vegetables to such persons diets. And since getting fruits and vegetables to such folks is nearly impossible there are some interesting outcomes and projects being done using "GMOs" to deliver a greater degree of nutrition in rice cultivated to address their needs.

Shh....don't tell Maria  Grin.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: