OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 01:50:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beautifully Smooth & Even Prosphora  (Read 2766 times) Average Rating: 0
Peacemaker
Elder

« on: June 18, 2013, 12:17:56 AM »

I've noticed those in Russian tradition; typically Russian monasteries, make such amazing Prosphora. It's so smooth and consistent, it almost looks like angel food cake. I haven't been able to master this technique, but I would love to learn and I'm sure my priest would appreciate if I did also (lumpy and uneven prosphora can be hard to prepare, and being an altar server I've seen a lot of "rocky" ones).

Is there some sort of trick to go from something like this (which is typical for me)

To this masterpiece of perfection!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:24:16 AM by Peacemaker » Logged

This user is no longer active.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 01:54:42 AM »

Yes, getting loaves to look like that takes a lot of practice.  There are a number of steps:

1) You have to use the 'boiled flour' method for the dough base.  This gives the tight bubble consistency.

2) You have to knead it for a loooong time.  We're talking 30-40 minutes if by hand.

3) Shaping the loaves is the trickiest part.  I call is the 'bowling pin method,' when a single lump of dough is divided up like a bowling pin with the edge of the hand and rolled back and forth until even.  Then the 'pin' is righted and the top and bottom portions are properly aligned and then stamped.  Since the dough is not cut the way it is when you cut the pieces with a cookie cutter, it leaves the dough perfectly smooth.  It is also amazingly time-consuming if you are not well-practiced.

I've noticed those in Russian tradition; typically Russian monasteries, make such amazing Prosphora. It's so smooth and consistent, it almost looks like angel food cake. I haven't been able to master this technique, but I would love to learn and I'm sure my priest would appreciate if I did also (lumpy and uneven prosphora can be hard to prepare, and being an altar server I've seen a lot of "rocky" ones).

Is there some sort of trick to go from something like this (which is typical for me)

To this masterpiece of perfection!

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »

Could you explain this  'boiled flour' method to me, and does it still fall under the guide lines of flour, salt, water and yeast? Also, not to sound like a simpleton, what is a "base?" I know how to bake, I just don't know the lingo.

This user is no longer active.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 08:23:14 PM »

Boiled water method prosphora

http://www.prosphora.org/page11.html

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up