OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 09:37:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Had to put my Beagle to sleep...  (Read 213 times) Average Rating: 0
JMTRD6

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA / Transitioning to OCA

« on: June 17, 2013, 08:36:39 PM »

So, I am currently working in Colorado and my wife and son are living in Oklahoma due to elevation related pregnancy complications.  I got a call yesterday (Father's Day) that our Beagle, Charlie, had been crying in pain for the last several days and nights.  He has been suffering from ongoing issues with his back and I couldn't let him suffer any longer, so the decision was made to have him "put to sleep".  Many years ago, I thought that I would never have children, but the desire within me was strong.  I found comfort in the idea that I could experience unconditional love (as a parent and child would) with pets, so I went to a breeder and hand picked the perfect little Beagle.  He taught me all there is to know about unconditional love over the last 10 years, and I couldn't be more grateful.  Unfortunately, I am feeling a great amount of guilt for not being there for him during his final days.  I still remember him trying to get in my 4Runner with me when I was packing my bags to leave for Colorado.  I told him that I wouldn't forget about him and that I would be back for him.  Luckily, my wife was an angel and showed him a great amount of love and compassion, but she had to do it by herself, for which I also feel guilt.  Last, but certainly not least, my son has been crying for the last 2 days; he and Charlie had become the best of friends.  He is also an animal lover, which earned him the baptismal name of (St.) Kevin.  Without rambling on anymore, this has been a painful couple of days for my family and we would greatly appreciate your prayers.  I don't know what the afterlife holds for animals, but I hope and pray that Charlie is with St. Kevin right now and that he understands the circumstances leading to my absence in his time of need.  Lord, have mercy!
marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 09:24:18 PM »

O God, Creator of the Earth and of its creatures, have mercy on JMTRD6 and his family at this sad time, and always.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »

Lord have mercy!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 10:15:57 PM »

Lord, have mercy on them all.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:58:34 PM »

Lord, have mercy and grant healing and comfort to those who mourn.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 11:03:48 PM »

The same God who created us also created the animals.  LORD haver mercy!
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 11:06:02 PM »

Oh no, I'm so sorry!  Cry

Prayers for you & your family - and Charlie.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 11:07:36 PM »

Lord have mercy. I lost my beagle as well this year. Take care.
JMTRD6

Jurisdiction: GOA / Transitioning to OCA

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 11:12:28 PM »

Thank you for the prayers.  I feel like there is a part of me that is missing tonight, but there is comfort to be found in prayer (and asking for prayer).  I'm sorry to hear about your Beagle, Opus118, I will remember you in my evening prayers.  We can learn so much from the innocent love that our pets offer to us so unconditionally.  I was able to talk to Charlie over the phone while he and my wife were waiting on the vet; I thanked him for teaching me about unconditional love and for making me a better father and husband.  I hope to be reunited with him in the age to come.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 11:14:19 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

spcasuncoast.org
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: