OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 07:44:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For my family.  (Read 260 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: June 17, 2013, 02:44:03 AM »

I'm growing more and more uneasy with the amount of freedom my little sister is being given in regards to boys.  It's not my place to speak up, so I'm simply going to pray for her.  She hangs out with her current boyfriend quite a bit, and long after the rest of us go to bed.  Without being too explicit, as I'm sure you all get my meaning here, I humbly ask you to pray for my sister and her boyfriend.  Also, pray with me that if anything is *happening,* they're being safe.  I couldn't bare to lose a niece or nephew through abortion.  I don't know what I'd do.

Thank you.

May the Lord have mercy upon us all.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 02:47:43 AM by Tikhon.of.Colorado » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 07:44:07 AM »

Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy
Most Holy Theotokos Save Us
Saint Silouan Pray For Us
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 02:51:30 PM »

Lord have mercy.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 03:18:51 PM »

how little is little?
if she is under 16, you should certainly warn her what she is getting into and check if she understands stuff like the contraceptive pill does not stop you catching nasty stuff. you could maybe share some stuff of yours that shows you understand the pressure to do the same as everyone else.
i find explaining the risk of scary pubic lice more effective for young people than mentioning stuff that may kill them after they are 40 (40 is ancient when you are 16).

you may be 'cooler' than your parents and so better placed to talk to her.
also if her boyfriend is older, he could be guilty of child abuse.
i know it's difficult with you being different genders, but i have to say, i did get over the embarrassment thing and checked up on my little brother in this aspect when we were both young, but we were the same religion and had a good relationship, so this made it easier.
also he got married really young, soon after i left home.

if she is over 20, you can only really talk if you have a good relationship and she respects you.
if she is in between, it sort of depends on the circumstances.
whatever the situation, working on having a good relationship with her generally will make her more likely to turn to you for support and advice when she realises she needs it.
may God guide u.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 03:29:40 PM »

how little is little?
if she is under 16, you should certainly warn her what she is getting into and check if she understands stuff like the contraceptive pill does not stop you catching nasty stuff. you could maybe share some stuff of yours that shows you understand the pressure to do the same as everyone else.
i find explaining the risk of scary pubic lice more effective for young people than mentioning stuff that may kill them after they are 40 (40 is ancient when you are 16).

you may be 'cooler' than your parents and so better placed to talk to her.
also if her boyfriend is older, he could be guilty of child abuse.
i know it's difficult with you being different genders, but i have to say, i did get over the embarrassment thing and checked up on my little brother in this aspect when we were both young, but we were the same religion and had a good relationship, so this made it easier.
also he got married really young, soon after i left home.

if she is over 20, you can only really talk if you have a good relationship and she respects you.
if she is in between, it sort of depends on the circumstances.
whatever the situation, working on having a good relationship with her generally will make her more likely to turn to you for support and advice when she realises she needs it.
may God guide u.

Good advice.  My sister is 16, and I am nearly 19.  Her boyfriend is 18.  Unfortunately she sees my mother as "cooler" than me most of the time.  I'm boring and religious to her.

Thank you for your input.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 09:35:34 PM »

Lord, have mercy.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 10:13:53 PM »

Lord, have mercy. 18 and 16 is still not legal in most states, Lord, indeed have mercy.

Countdown to our Baptisms and Chrismations:

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 10:19:42 PM »

Lord have mercy! 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 11:01:31 PM »

Lord have mercy and grant this couple wisdom to see the error of their ways, and the fortitude to do the right thing.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: