OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 04:57:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ITT: We discuss GMOs and the latest concerns  (Read 1633 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2013, 03:05:54 PM »

Are Bush's baked beans any good?

Not as good as Amy's chili and soups...
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »

Bourgeois slop.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2013, 03:09:37 PM »

Bourgeois slop.

You beat Achronos to it Smiley
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »

Bourgeois slop.
Epic lulz
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:13:12 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »

My problem here is that most people cannot afford the "healthy" alternatives to Monsanto's allegedly evil products. You go over to Trader Joe's to purchase one of these alternatives and it ends up being like 4x as much money than Monsanto's product at any other basic grocery store. I'd much rather save money and die early than have no money and die late.

Have you even visited Trader Joes, James?

I shop there regularly, and whenever I go to Safeway, Vons, or one of the other chains, their prices are always higher and their produce tends to be rotten.

Price their eggs. Safeway and Vons charge much more for their eggs than does TJ.
I get avocados at a lower cost at TJ than I do at Smart and Final.
Avocados and fruit are very costly at Costco.

Perhaps you are confusing TJs with Whole Foods Market.

Yeah, buying avocados in Minnesota makes sense in terms of supply chain security and health and environmental impact. Now if you cultivate an avotato, let me know.

Minnesota does not grow avocados. Mexico is the source of most of the world's avocados. Hawaii also produces them as does California. So, yes, we grow our own avocados here in Los Angeles.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2013, 03:30:05 PM »

My problem here is that most people cannot afford the "healthy" alternatives to Monsanto's allegedly evil products. You go over to Trader Joe's to purchase one of these alternatives and it ends up being like 4x as much money than Monsanto's product at any other basic grocery store. I'd much rather save money and die early than have no money and die late.

I shop there regularly, and whenever I go to Safeway, Vons, or one of the other chains, their prices are always higher and their produce tends to be rotten.

Price their eggs. Safeway and Vons charge much more for their eggs than does TJ.

Yeah, buying avocados in Minnesota makes sense in terms of supply chain security and health and environmental impact. Now if you cultivate an avotato, let me know.

Minnesota does not grow avocados. Mexico is the source of most of the world's avocados. Hawaii also produces them as does California. So, yes, we grow our own avocados here in Los Angeles.

You left out South Africa and Israel--both sources of excellent avos.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »

How about bananas?

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »

How about bananas?

Both bananas and avos can be grown in Minnesota.

Cool

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2013, 03:51:48 PM »

Is that how Maria gets all her food?

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2013, 03:56:04 PM »

Is that how Maria gets all her food?

Nah...California is a garden of eden*--haven't you heard?  The Land of Fruits and Nuts.

Lots of folks back East, they say, is leavin' home every day,
Beatin' the hot old dusty way to the California line.
'Cross the desert sands they roll, gettin' out of that old dust bowl,
They think they're goin' to a sugar bowl, but here's what they find
Now, the police at the port of entry say,
"You're number fourteen thousand for today."

Oh, if you ain't got the do re mi, folks, you ain't got the do re mi,
Why, you better go back to beautiful Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Georgia, Tennessee.
California is a garden of Eden, a paradise to live in or see;
But believe it or not, you won't find it so hot
If you ain't got the do re mi.

You want to buy you a home or a farm, that can't deal nobody harm,
Or take your vacation by the mountains or sea.
Don't swap your old cow for a car, you better stay right where you are,
Better take this little tip from me.
'Cause I look through the want ads every day
But the headlines on the papers always say:

If you ain't got the do re mi, boys, you ain't got the do re mi,
Why, you better go back to beautiful Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Georgia, Tennessee.
California is a garden of Eden, a paradise to live in or see;
But believe it or not, you won't find it so hot
If you ain't got the do re mi.
http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/w/woody_guthrie/do_re_mi.html
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:56:43 PM by J Michael » Logged

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2013, 03:57:03 PM »

I LOVE WOODIE GUTHRIE

you are hereby unanathemized.  Grin

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2013, 04:01:13 PM »

I LOVE WOODIE GUTHRIE

Yeah...right...until the next time, eh Roll Eyes Grin.

What's not to love about Woody, anyway?

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2013, 04:01:44 PM »

How about bananas?

Cool

Yes, a variety of tropical and semi-tropical fruits can be grown in Minnesota if they are grown in hothouses.

Here in California, we can grow them outside.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2013, 04:03:35 PM »

Nah...California is a garden of eden*--haven't you heard?  The Land of Fruits and Nuts.

California is the land of fruits, nuts, flakes, marijuana, meth, and moonbeams.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:10:27 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2013, 04:05:01 PM »

How about bananas?

Cool

Yes, a variety of tropical and semi-tropical fruits can be grown in Minnesota if they are grown in hothouses.

Here in California, we can grow them outside.

Who'd've thunk it Grin?

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2013, 04:06:25 PM »

California is the land of fruits, nuts, flakes, and Governor Moonbeam.

Are you lucky, or what?  Must be all those vortices out there.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2013, 04:07:07 PM »

I LOVE WOODIE GUTHRIE

Except for the part where he was a communist. allegedly

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2013, 04:11:25 PM »

California is the land of fruits, nuts, flakes, marijuana, meth and moonbeams.

Are you lucky, or what?  Must be all those vortices out there.

No, proximity to Mexico with all the drugs found there.

With many people walking around intoxicated on drugs or alcohol, they do not mind going to restaurants and eating pre-packaged GMO foods that taste like cardboard. All their senses have been dulled to the point that they actually enjoy eating cardboard.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:13:42 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2013, 04:15:02 PM »

Are you lucky, or what?  Must be all those vortices out there.

They found drugs in Mexico?  laugh  I wonder who's buying them?? Cool

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2013, 04:16:25 PM »

Are you lucky, or what?  Must be all those vortices out there.

With many people walking around intoxicated on drugs or alcohol, they do not mind going to restaurants and eating pre-packaged GMO foods that taste like cardboard. All their senses have been dulled to the point that they actually enjoy eating cardboard.

Hey...don't knock it until you've tried it.  I hear the organic cardboard, with a little Tamari sauce (just a dab, now) is excellent.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2013, 04:17:32 PM »

Oh, has anyone enjoyed a meal in their college commissary?

The last time I ate a meal at CSUN was when I was teaching ESL classes. Their farm-fed GMO-corn rationed salmon tasted simply horrible. Their pre-packaged mashed potatoes had no flavor. Their broccoli was tough or overcooked (take your pick). Flavors and smells were weird. That was the last time I ate at any of the college cafes.

The food was way overpriced; portions were terribly small; and the taste was very unappetizing.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:22:24 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2013, 04:22:05 PM »

I LOVE WOODIE GUTHRIE

Hey, nobody's perfect.  I heard somewhere that his daughter called him a "commonist" as opposed to a "communist".  Makes sense to me.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2013, 04:23:19 PM »

The last time I ate a meal at CSUN was when I was teaching ESL classes. Their farm-fed GMO-corn rationed salmon tasted simply horrible. Their pre-packaged mashed potatoes had no flavor. Their broccoli was tough or overcooked (take your pick). Flavors and smells were weird. That was the last time I ate at any of the college cafes.

The food was way overpriced; portions were terribly small; and the taste was very unappetizing.

You should've ordered the organic cardboard.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »

I LOVE WOODIE GUTHRIE

He was.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2013, 04:29:48 PM »

Calm the passions.

This is one place where a little netodox piety coincides with real justice.

Enjoy "enjoying" (super)food at the expense of the toil of many others. You've earned it after all.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »

I would have left it at fruits, nuts, and flakes.  The statement wasn't going to get any more glorious.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2013, 07:35:04 AM »

And very decent wine.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2013, 09:06:50 AM »

And very decent wine.

PP

I'll second that  Wink!

vorgos

« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2013, 01:57:43 PM »

This is very true.  I may not be wild about the products Monsanto puts on the market, but the fact is, if we didn't have them, food prices would skyrocket because the food supply would shrink.  That might me grumble about high food prices, but for a good portion of the world, that is the difference between staying alive and starving.  I imagine their concerns about the alleged tumors that might develop 50 years down the road take a distant back seat to their starving children.

I see that you have bought Monsanto's advertising lie.

Farmers in India, Africa, and the Philippines who are using Monsanto's GMO seeds have not been producing the hefty crop that Monsanto promised. It turns out that Monsanto farmers actually produce less crops. In India, many GMO farmers have committed suicide because of the financial ruin.
Are these the same folks that make seeds which produce a product which doesn't produce viable seeds for the next year, causing farmers to be required to purchase their seeds from them again year after year?  

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/david-vs.-monsanto/id471375799

Imagine that a storm blows across your garden bringing genetically-manipulated seeds into your crops. Next, a multi-national corporation pays you a visit, demands that you surrender your crops and then sues you for $200,000 for the illegal use of patented, GM seeds. In this definitive David and Goliath battle, one farmer stands up against a massive multi-national corporation and their right to claim ownership of a living organism.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: