OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:20:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Cat, A Hat and A Eucharist  (Read 824 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« on: July 31, 2013, 04:41:33 PM »

It gets really creative around 2:38.

I'm all for "reaching out" to the youth....but, this....is a bit too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7rIbNCJGpI

All Orthodox jurisdictions are part of one Orthodox Church.  Is this true of Anglicans, as well?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 05:47:52 PM »

I was so hoping that this wouldn't make it onto the board....

I just want to say, this is not common in the Episcopal Church.  This is very outside the norms.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 06:03:09 PM »

I just want to say, this is not common in the Episcopal Church.  This is very outside the norms.
James, do you find it harder and harder to defend your church when you see things such as this?  Cheesy

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 06:15:10 PM »

Don't worry. There are worse things out there.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 06:17:13 PM »

James, do you find it harder and harder to defend your church when you see things such as this?  Cheesy

Whenever I am reminded of the Seusscharist, my heart sinks, and I am compelled to pray the entire Psalter three times in a row, to seek forgiveness for my people.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 06:17:31 PM »

Would you mind giving me an example?  I can't think of any.

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 06:42:10 PM »

Well, the lutherans had a priest, who baptized dolls and teddy bears, and a another who did "Gangnam Style" at a confirmation.

On the other hand, I won't judge any of these people. Keeping people focused during liturgy isn't exactly easy.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 07:23:59 PM »

That's the point they don't need to be focused.

Well, the lutherans had a priest, who baptized dolls and teddy bears, and a another who did "Gangnam Style" at a confirmation.

On the other hand, I won't judge any of these people. Keeping people focused during liturgy isn't exactly easy.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 11:01:29 PM »

Seusscharist!  What a great name.  

Besides the obvious, one thing I immediately sensed was that the only black man in the church was the rector (The Revd. Blackman).  In my experience, the presence of good, church-going African-Americans diminishes the chances of such crazy things as these going on.  Only "white folks" could come up with this and continue it.  Sorry white folks, I love you, but AFAIK it's true.  Tongue

Even so, they still show more reverence for receiving the Eucharist than the average RC.  Good for them.  

Is hand sanitiser on the altar typical?    

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:02:09 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 11:38:31 PM »

Then the Anglicans, young and old, will sit down to a feast. And they'll feast, and they'll feast. And they'll feast, feast, feast, feast! They'll feast on the wine and the bread not from yeast. Aw, unleavened bread is a feast I can't stand in the least!

EDIT: While I think it's easy to laugh at this, and even easier to get angry over the sacrilege, I think it's important to remember that the priest is a human being and his heart seems to be in the right place. His misguided move was out of a desire to share Christ with the children in a more "accessible" way. No, that doesn't excuse what he's done, but we should have compassion. It's not easy to captivate a parish during services, especially children. We can complain that not every one is as disciplined and reverent as we are, with our two-to-three-hour long standing services every Sunday, or we can see the situation across the world for what it is: a diminishing laity with many children who are not likely to keep the faith, and clergy that struggles to keep those people "in the fold," as it were.

And you're fine to accuse me of being holier than thou, but I've spent my nights watching clown masses on YouTube and gawking, and that sort of ridicule hasn't gotten me anywhere closer to God. I'm not accusing anyone in the thread of being meanspirited, but there tends to be an air of arrogance in response to these sorts of services and I hope we can move on without tearing everyone apart.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:58:47 PM by lovesupreme » Logged

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 11:56:48 PM »

Whenever I am reminded of the Seusscharist, my heart sinks, and I am compelled to pray the entire Psalter three times in a row, to seek forgiveness for my people.

What about U2charist?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 12:42:53 AM »

It's not your fault this happens.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 07:00:15 PM »

Besides the obvious, one thing I immediately sensed was that the only black man in the church was the rector (The Revd. Blackman).  In my experience, the presence of good, church-going African-Americans diminishes the chances of such crazy things as these going on.  Only "white folks" could come up with this and continue it.  Sorry white folks, I love you, but AFAIK it's true.  Tongue

Even so, they still show more reverence for receiving the Eucharist than the average RC.  Good for them.  

I've never seen hand sanitizer on an altar before.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 07:01:38 PM »

What about U2charist?

Also not a fan of those...

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 07:27:33 PM »

I've never seen hand sanitizer on an altar before.

We had a round of hand sanitizer in our parish when there was some fretting about passing germs, but it was kept on the side table. It's possible their sanctuary doesn't have any place to put anything besides on the altar.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 07:42:13 PM »

Only "white folks" could come up with this and continue it.  Sorry white folks, I love you, but AFAIK it's true.  Tongue
In my area there's more than one black church with a liturgical mime troupe.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 09:28:45 PM »

Say it ain't so!!  Good, churchgoing black folks have liturgical mimes?!?!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 10:04:15 PM »

And don't forget those "liturgical dancers" that are sometimes black folks, IIRC. Oh, and the Puppet Mass.

While not saying it's at all on par with puppets, mimes or Dr. Seuss, there's this RC liturgical dance I just came across. Are they Indian? I honestly can't tell.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 10:20:13 PM »

While not saying it's at all on par with puppets, mimes or Dr. Seuss, there's this RC liturgical dance I just came across. Are they Indian? I honestly can't tell.

Yeah, they're Indian Catholics.  It's not rare to see dances like this in Christian religious contexts.  This form of dancing comes from Hinduism, where it obviously has a religious dimension, and IIRC Christians adopted similar forms of dancing adapted to Christian religious themes.  But it's never used in worship, as far as I know.  I've definitely never seen it in liturgical worship.  You could never get away with doing this inside a church, much less in front of the altar.  This is more like something you'd have in the parish hall or outside on a stage or platform as part of the feast day celebrations for a particular parish.  It's not "liturgical dance", no matter how much white folks want it to be such.  Tongue   

Tangent: to say that Westminster Cathedral is beautiful would be an understatement.  I want to visit. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 10:50:02 PM »

Say it ain't so!!  Good, churchgoing black folks have liturgical mimes?!?!
Yep, and the locals trained under the very best.

The first time I saw the liturgical mimes was at a local black community arts gathering that happens every year for MLK day, and -- not realizing what they were doing at first -- I thought, "Awesome! Whiteface!"

(You have to understand that in my community as recently as 10 years ago the local theater had a production utilizing blackface. It's been discontinued -- or rather, they found black actors for that show, which runs annually -- but I'm surprised there hasn't been more pushback.)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:50:17 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 11:25:49 PM »

Yeah, they're Indian Catholics.  It's not rare to see dances like this in Christian religious contexts.  This form of dancing comes from Hinduism, where it obviously has a religious dimension, and IIRC Christians adopted similar forms of dancing adapted to Christian religious themes.  But it's never used in worship, as far as I know.  I've definitely never seen it in liturgical worship.  You could never get away with doing this inside a church, much less in front of the altar.  This is more like something you'd have in the parish hall or outside on a stage or platform as part of the feast day celebrations for a particular parish.  It's not "liturgical dance", no matter how much white folks want it to be such.  Tongue   

Tangent: to say that Westminster Cathedral is beautiful would be an understatement.  I want to visit. 

That's mild in comparison to what you'd see at larger WCC events.   Eucharist followed by tribal dancing 10 minutes later.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 11:33:29 PM »

No one needs to patronize children.  Our churches are filled with children who love to kiss the icons. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 11:57:50 PM »

Mind = blown

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 01:01:31 AM »

Mind = blown

I think there is grey matter on my laptop now....and it hurts.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 04:24:27 AM »

And don't forget those "liturgical dancers" that are sometimes black folks, IIRC. Oh, and the Puppet Mass.

i have seen much worse at the world council of churches liturgies

which the orthodox attend of course

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 04:26:39 AM »

BZZT. You have been disqualified. The answer we were looking for was: "Catholics are terrible, and Protestants the worse. The Orthodox would never participate in such worship-abominations as those groups do."  police

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 08:06:54 AM »

*flexes Antiochian muscles*

We ditched the abomination of the WCC.  Grin

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 08:07:31 AM »

How about a bishop openly denying the divinity and resurrection of Christ, without any repercussions?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 09:33:27 AM »

There are people and actions taken by those within (at least they consider themselves within) our Orthodox Faith that are hard to defend.

Sometimes, we all have used words like James did. My uncle's family are Episcopalians and would be as scandalized by this as James.

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 10:31:53 AM »

No one needs to patronize children.  Our churches are filled with children who love to kiss the icons. 

No one needs to, but they continue because that way when the parishioners become adults they can go to church expecting to be entertained and get nothing out of it and the cycle will continue.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 03:04:28 PM »

I thought the Antiochians left the NCC and not the WCC, and I thought it was more over political stuff than worrying about worship services   Huh  Cool

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 03:08:32 PM »

I thought the Antiochians left the NCC and not the WCC, and I thought it was more over political stuff than worrying about worship services   Huh  Cool
Oops, I guess you are right. 

FALSE ALARM PEOPLE, WE ARE STILL IN THE ABOMINATION OF THE WCC!  Grin

Tags: Seuss 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: