OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 02:24:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: May 2013 POM!  (Read 1018 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: June 15, 2013, 08:24:37 AM »

This time the choice was quite difficult since there were many excellent posts reported. Eventually, this gem by Mor Ephrem has been chosen as May 2013 Post of the Month. I also want to reveal it was one amongst 3 posts by this user who were submitted for May 2013 POM Voting.

And who is the witness par excellence? In every meaning of the term.

John the Baptist, maybe Saint Paul. Who knows. But it wasn't Mary. You know why?

Yes, because of Rev. 3.14: Καὶ τῷ ἀγγέλῳ τῆς ἐν Λαοδικείᾳ ἐκκλησίας γράψον· τάδε λέγει ὁ ἀμήν, ὁ μάρτυς ὁ πιστὸς καὶ ἀληθινός, ἡ ἀρχὴ τῆς κτίσεως τοῦ Θεοῦ·

The "witness" par excellence is Christ, the "apostle" par excellence is Christ, the "prophet" par excellence is Christ, the "evangelist" par excellence is Christ, the "confessor" par excellence is Christ, the "virgin" par excellence is Christ, etc.  But we don't typically refer to Christ as any of these things as a common practice, even though he is all of those things.  It's all over Scripture if one has eyes to see and ears to hear.   

Our Lord fulfills all the requirements of such categories, but also exceeds them.  If he didn't do the former, none of those categories would have the meaning they have in our tradition; if he didn't do the latter, he'd just be an over-achieving Boy Scout collecting merit badges.  All of those "titles" and "categories" are rooted in him, they derive their meaning from him.  It may not be common to call Christ a martyr, but if he's not, then martyrdom is meaningless.   

In a similar way, but in a way lesser than Christ, Our Lady "is" a lot of things we don't normally refer to her as.  Who brought the Word to all nations more than she did?  She didn't travel as much as the apostles did, but the Word they preached entered the world as the Son she brought forth: she is certainly "apostle" and "evangelist", even if not by the standard definition, because she fulfills its more fundamental meaning.  She didn't write any books of oracles she received from God, but her whole life was a proclamation of the Word of God which came to her, first through her obedience and then through her consent to the Angel's message, after which she proclaimed to Elizabeth and to all humanity the greatness of God her Savior: how is she not a "prophet"?  If we are limited in considering martyrdom as involving the shedding of one's blood as a witness to God, then Mary, having died peacefully at a good age, may not "count".  But if we consider the fundamental meaning of martyrdom, of witness, then she is certainly that. 

Did she not witness faithfulness to God in the face of darkness and death more than all the other martyrs?  Our liturgical texts (here, I specifically refer to Syriac texts, though I'm sure the same sentiments can be found in Greek and other texts) speak of the martyrs having seen Christ in the heavens holding crowns plaited by the Holy Spirit, waiting to crown them upon their death, and their response was "Let us die for him who died for us".  Even St Stephen gives up his life, after believing in the death and resurrection of Christ, and seeing him sitting at the right hand of God.  But Our Lady answers the Angel's lofty words in Luke 1 with obedience, and from then on, she's subject to people's doubts about her virtue, she flees to Egypt to save her Son, and when he enters into his ministry, you know the ridicule that fell on him was directed toward her (that's just how people are).  When she sees him die on the Cross, does anyone think she was there smiling and winking at the bystanders saying "We'll see who has the last laugh on Sunday"?  No.  We believe she had an invincible faith, in spite of the fact that nothing the Angel told her seemed to have come to pass: when he's taken down from the cross, no one thinks he's great or the Son of the Most High, he can't sit on the throne of his father David if he's dead, and so it seems like his kingdom has ended before it had a chance to begin.  Is it so easy to believe in the resurrection for us, even though we have the benefit of two thousand years' space and innumerable witnesses since it happened?  How much more difficult must it have been three days before it happened, how much it must've looked for all intents and purposes like all was lost and meaningless.  And yet, she had faith even when the sword prophesied by the Elder Simeon in Luke 2 had in fact pierced her own soul: not a physical martyrdom, but a martyrdom of the spirit, the very martyrdom that must necessarily precede one's willingness to suffer physically and shed blood unto death.   

Like her Son and because of her Son, Our Lady fulfills and exceeds all our categories.  She didn't shed her blood as a martyr, but if she's not a martyr, then none of the rest are either.  As long as we're stuck on the physical violence and blood of martyrdom, we'll not only misunderstand the "martyrdom" of Mary, but we already demonstrate a misunderstanding of the martyrdom of the martyrs we do accept.  So, with all due respect, I believe you're missing something in your analysis: the most important things are meant to be understood in the heart and not just in the mind, and this is one of them. 

WORTHY! WORTHY! WOTHY!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:25:08 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 08:42:21 AM »

Axios!

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 09:08:07 AM »

Yay!  Axios!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 10:26:13 AM »

Άξια!  Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 10:36:49 AM »

Άξια!  Wink

You're a woman?  Shocked laugh
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 10:37:56 AM »

No, but she about whom I wrote is certainly one.  Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 10:52:42 AM »

Most definitely ! Smiley Axios!!!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 11:04:53 AM »

I'm with you there. Not that you'd be surprised.  Smiley
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 01:40:14 PM »

Axios!

Yay!

Woohoo!  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 02:05:28 PM »

Axios!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 11:55:10 PM »

Axios!

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 12:13:55 AM »

Worthy!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 01:00:03 PM »

AXIOS!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 09:43:25 AM »

AXIOS!!! Cheesy

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »

Axios!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 01:43:46 PM »

Axios!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags: Post of the Month 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: