OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 10:54:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Lipstick - recommendation for the ladies  (Read 3225 times) Average Rating: 0
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: January 23, 2005, 01:52:06 PM »

I've been 'suffering,' sans lipstick, at the liturgy in fear of ruining the icons.  But I've discovered a lipstick that does not "kiss" off, MAC long wearing lipstick.  On the downside, this stuff requires a commitment.  It stays on...and on...and on, about a day and a half. 

Not only is it perfect for liturgy but it requires no reapplications during the day.  You can eat, drink, whatever, and still have perfect lips throughout the day. 

MAC Cosmetics
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 01:52:38 PM by Jennifer » Logged
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 03:53:08 PM »

Or, you could just not wear lipstick to church Wink
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 04:27:27 PM »

For the price $19.50 each!  Shocked   I'd say skip it!  Grin

http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY15113&PRODUCT_ID=PROD6836
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 05:53:56 PM »

Ah men, who have no understanding of the female mind... $19.95 is a good price for something you don't have to re-apply.  I hate wearing lipstick because within a 1/2 hour of putting it on, I have to put on more.  Besides that it gets on glasses, silverware, etc.  You could probably go thru 5 regular lipsticks before this 1 would wear out, so money wise it equals out. 
Personally the only thing I spend a lot of $ on is shampoo & conditioner.  $35.00 for it, but man my hair's never looked this good (yeah, I'm full of myself.  :-D )

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 06:33:45 PM »

Ah men, who have no understanding of the female mind...

That's the truth!  laugh   Wink  I don't think I will ever understand these things, but maybe some day a woman will have the time and patience to explain it to me.  Grin

I was only saying that it seemed expensive! Apparently my mind focuses on the price, rather than the apparent benefits.

You could probably go thru 5 regular lipsticks before this 1 would wear out, so money wise it equals out.

Are you insinuating that I wear lipstick?  laugh 

Personally the only thing I spend a lot of $ on is shampoo & conditioner.  $35.00 for it, but man my hair's never looked this good (yeah, I'm full of myself.  :-D )

So, I guess all those Suave commercials were fibbing by saying that you can't tell the difference between their brand and the 'spensive stuff.  Wink 
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 07:03:06 PM »

Completely fibbing.
I use Suave regular type shampoo only when I have mud in my hair or something that I really need to strip out of my hair because otherwise, it feels like washing my hair with gasoline, it dries it out so much.

I prefer to find the really good stuff at cheaper prices though....Jane eyeliners are only 2.99 or so and they're the smoothest, most color-true self-sharpening liners I've found.

Qui cantat, bis orat
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 07:42:17 PM »

For the price $19.50 each! Shocked I'd say skip it! Grin

LOL.   You men are funny.   Next time you go to Target peruse the  cosmetics aisle and check out the prices.  $19.50 is really not that bad.  A "drugstore" lippie (drugstore means brand you can get at Target as opposed to department store brand like MAC) can cost you about $10.  Most department store lippies cost about $22.  So MAC is cheap in comparison. 

Now onto the shampoo discussion...I now use only drugstore hair and face products.   My hair looks just as good with my L'Oreal Vive as it ever did with the salon stuff.  I also switched to drugstore products for my face about a year ago and I've never regretted it.   Ladies, another great recommendation Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 08:13:15 PM »

I don't think I will ever understand these things, but maybe some day a woman will have the time and patience to explain it to me.

No, there's no explaining it... Tongue

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
ProdigalSon

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 11:50:26 PM »

I've been 'suffering,' sans lipstick, at the liturgy in fear of ruining the icons. [/url]

I dont know what it's like at your church, but our icons that are set out for veneration are often encased in glass for just this purpose. Lord knows those bubbas cant be caught without their lipstick! Wink

I hear the Greeks are even worse.Smiley

NULL
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 02:11:43 AM »

Jane eyeliners are only 2.99 or so and they're the smoothest, most color-true self-sharpening liners I've found.

REALLY?  I'm going to an all-night drug store right now to pick some up!!!    Grin

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 04:11:20 AM »

At a recent Family Life Conference, Bishop Basil went even further than lipstick; he asked that the men avoid the use of chapstick, blisitik, and other lip emoliants as they will cause problems for Icons written in traditional methods and use olifa varnishes. If appears that the emoliant ( that which moistens the lips and keeps them form chapping is the real problem, not just the pigmented lip sticks but the glosses and chapsticks all have the same damaging effect on the icons---the real rule seems to be if you where it blot it off before you venerate the icon or the chalice.

In Christ,
Thomas
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 04:11:57 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 10:22:00 AM »

Completely fibbing.
I use Suave regular type shampoo only when I have mud in my hair or something that I really need to strip out of my hair because otherwise, it feels like washing my hair with gasoline, it dries it out so much.

I prefer to find the really good stuff at cheaper prices though....Jane eyeliners are only 2.99 or so and they're the smoothest, most color-true self-sharpening liners I've found.

No, the Suave comercials are bull.  My mom bought us Suave pretty much all my life.  When I moved away and Leila (our stylist) recommended Matrix to me because my hair was completely dry, and I bought it... well, look at it this way, my hair was always a bit wavy, now without all the gunk from Suave weighing it down, my hair's gone from slightly wavy to extreme curls, to the point of people asking me when I got a perm. 
Anyway, here are the 2 shampoos I switch back & forth too....
http://www.matrix.com/products/sleek_look/index.aspx
http://www.matrix.com/products/curl_life/index.aspx
The first is good for controlling frizz, the 2nd is good for extreme definition.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 09:17:51 PM »

I dont think I ever really wear lipstick to church, although I do sneak some chapstick if my lips are very dry and in a lot pf pain, but I have found that on other occassions, revlon colorstay overtime lipcolor works pretty well at staying on for a looong time without "kissing off" on anything.  I don't remember what the price was, but it was well under $20, and with my CVS employee discount, I was a happy little shopper. Smiley

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2005, 09:38:52 PM »

I am slowly becoming aware while reading this thread that my wife might actually be exchanging money for all this stuff  Shocked

Say it isn't so.... Huh

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2005, 01:17:30 AM »

Completely fibbing.

No, the Suave comercials are bull.

Thanks for the info. Although I have to say that I've been wondering - would a company really lie in their advertising just to make money?  Shocked  Wink

prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2005, 08:22:34 AM »

I haven't washed my hair for over three weeks now (I just rinse thoroughly with hot water) and I have to say my hair is in much better condition now. It used to be extremely oily but now seems to have found a nice equilibrium.

I guess the fact that I usually keep it in a pony tail helps Smiley
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2005, 09:32:23 AM »

OOOh something i know about!

Lipstick: blistex, herbal formula, or medicated.  My lips are rasberry colored anyway, and dry enough in the winter that it gets sucked up by the time i could get around to kissing anything.   laugh  And I haven't kissed any icons yet, but I have seen what various shades of lipstick can do (though ours are glass encased) I dunno...our Greek ladies dont seem to be too overlippified.  Maybe it is a parish thing.  Wink

hair stuff: i have been using Freida's for Brunettes (expensive to me at almost $5 a bottle, from Target) and i like it, though i have very fine flyaway hair especially now in the winter.  I use conditioner every day, i have to.  I did like the Moisture Maniac stuff by Bedhead when i tried that but it just costs too much. I have to be careful or it gets greasy looking..at any rate i throw it in a hirclip most of the time anyway.  My oldest daughter has long wavy gorgeous but VERY dry hair, and the stylist told her to only wash every other day at most.  It seems to help.

You men, yes, your wives and girlfreinds and daughters do spend money on this stuff...but never ever ask how much, you really don't want to know.  Just enjoy the results, and one more thing, if you can't tell she is wearing anything, be sure that she spent a long time getting it like that!  Grin

Aurelia
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2005, 12:39:49 AM »

Okay, confesion time.

I grew up in a house full of women, and they always bought Panteen shampoo and conditioner.  One day i looked past the Pert-like generic I was using, and tried the two in tandum.....the stuff worked.  When I moved out of my parents house and into the dorms. I went back to getting generics because it was cheaper.  Everyhting else pretty much was too.  Its the guy mentality:  Functional.  if it works, it works.  But after three weeks, my hair began to look lie a train wreck!  So I swalled my pride and bought a bottle each of the Panteen.  Back to normal in a week!  But, to the credit of my Dudeness, it lasted me seven months!

Peace,

Ian Lazarus :grommit: 

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2005, 01:02:05 AM »

hmmm well i hafta put in my 2 cents....i dont wear lipstick, and i feel like im a pretty average woman. i just wear blistex in winter when my lips are painfully chapped. and my boyfriend recently said he liked me better without lipstick (maybe because i tried to wear some just for kicks and i was just really self conscious of it). Smiley  as for shampoo, THIS i actually pay close attention to because my hair is getting really long and it's verrrry thick and so hasta be maintained well or else it'll be bad for all involved lol i use Garnier Fructose for normal hair, unless they are outta "normal hair" then i buy one of the specialized kinds (but i prefer the normal hair kind). Smiley

hmmmm...
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2005, 08:13:28 AM »

Fructis is awesome. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2005, 02:04:28 PM »

Garnier Fructose

Fructis

lol well it looks like Phil knows the actual name of the shampoo better than i do - i dont know who should be more embarrassed here  Tongue
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 02:04:39 PM by Donna Rose » Logged

hmmmm...
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2005, 03:40:46 PM »

Is it really such a big sacrifice to simply not put the lipstick on when going to church? Being a dude, I take my cap off when I go into church and then put it back on. What's the big deal? Is it self-conciousness fostered by (among others) the cosmetics industry? Trust me, no person whose opinion should be of any matter to you will care whether you have lipstick on or not, in or out of church.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 03:43:37 PM by erracht » Logged

NULL
bripat22

Slava Tebie, Boze nas! Slava Tebie

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2005, 09:42:34 PM »

Oh where is Germaine Greer when you need her???!!!!! Roll Eyes Grin

For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like!-

Maggie Smith "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2005, 06:18:43 PM »

I usually dont care whether I'm lipsticked or not--but since I'm often dried out and the fact that you dont drink before church doesnt help that, I need/want something coating my lips so I dont have to stand in pain as I pick at my mouth through the service.  And, since I'm going to have something on, I might as well just use whatever is in my pocket, which is colored more often than not. I do think of waiting til I've venerated the icons most times, though.

Qui cantat, bis orat
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2005, 02:54:02 PM »

I'm with you, erracht.  For most folks it just ain't necessary.  For those who it is, it is. 

As for hair products, I didn't worry about it in college.  I just had the barber (an old military barber) put the clippers on 1 and go for it.  No friz, on comb.

Now that I've moved forward in my life my haircut has gotten more stylish.  I get 2 on the side and 4 on the top.  A 2X4.  Guess I'm a blockhead.

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2005, 05:07:35 PM »

Okay, confesion time.

I grew up in a house full of women, and they always bought Panteen shampoo and conditioner. One day i looked past the Pert-like generic I was using, and tried the two in tandum.....the stuff worked.

Yeah...my wife was the one to intro me to conditioner, as my mom pretty much was out of the loop cosmetics-wise.  I do it maybe once, twice a month, just to keep the pomade from completely killing my hair.

And Mor and Donna are right: Fructis is the way to go.

But, to the credit of my Dudeness, it lasted me seven months!

Heh!   Grin  Sounds like a StrongBad-ism...

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tags: proper behavior 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: