OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 05:08:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm thinking about reading Blood Meridian  (Read 222 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: June 13, 2013, 11:32:48 AM »

Have anybody here read it? What did you think about it?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Michael David

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 10:09:11 PM »

I haven't read it, but an old coworker when I worked at a bookstore thought it was his best book. He is a big fan of westerns with a nihilistic sort of slant to it. (He liked Sam Peckinpah movies too and said it reminded him of that sort of story and tone throughout the book.) I think if you are into that style, I don't think you could go wrong! Most people call it his masterpiece.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:09:46 PM by Michael David » Logged
Velsigne
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 02:43:47 PM »

Depends on what you are after when reading. 

Cormac McCarthy is a great writer, and helps put America on the map with regard to literature.  We don't have much that can in any way compare to what Britain has produced.  It's been so long and so many books ago, sorry I can't give you a detailed review.  I remember liking All the Pretty Horses, too. 

His work is dark and violent though, so if that is what you think you need to be reading, then read it.  I read everything I could when I was young, including McCarthy.  I wanted to understand everything in the world and the problem of evil in humanity.  So I read everything I could.   I didn't get an answer (or solution) until I began studying Orthodoxy.

For America literature, I recommend Ken Kesey One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and all of Kurt Vonnegut, before McCarthy, because at least they will make you laugh out loud while you are reading.  I like evil to be balanced with good, because the story of evil prevailing is a flat out lie and contrary to the Orthodox faith.  So, it's a spiritual downer.   

If you like that sort of sadistic puzzlement, read Jim Thompson, who has a spare and unique style, but does an incredible job with the character of a pyschopathic sheriff, like in Pop. 1280 and The Killer Inside Me.  They made a movie out of another novel, The Grifters, that was pretty good.

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 03:01:31 PM »

Depends on what you are after when reading. 

Cormac McCarthy is a great writer, and helps put America on the map with regard to literature.  We don't have much that can in any way compare to what Britain has produced.  It's been so long and so many books ago, sorry I can't give you a detailed review.  I remember liking All the Pretty Horses, too. 

His work is dark and violent though, so if that is what you think you need to be reading, then read it.  I read everything I could when I was young, including McCarthy.  I wanted to understand everything in the world and the problem of evil in humanity.  So I read everything I could.   I didn't get an answer (or solution) until I began studying Orthodoxy.

For America literature, I recommend Ken Kesey One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and all of Kurt Vonnegut, before McCarthy, because at least they will make you laugh out loud while you are reading.  I like evil to be balanced with good, because the story of evil prevailing is a flat out lie and contrary to the Orthodox faith.  So, it's a spiritual downer.   

If you like that sort of sadistic puzzlement, read Jim Thompson, who has a spare and unique style, but does an incredible job with the character of a pyschopathic sheriff, like in Pop. 1280 and The Killer Inside Me.  They made a movie out of another novel, The Grifters, that was pretty good.

Thank you.  Smiley

I actually think you have some pretty good writers.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: