Author Topic: Sees of Peter  (Read 402 times)

Offline montalban

• Now in colour
  • OC.net guru
Sees of Peter
« on: June 15, 2013, 12:00:27 PM »
Alexandria is known as a See of Peter (Pope Gregory called it this in Epistles of Saint Gregory the Great, Book VII, Epistle XL. To Eulogius, Bishop)

I'm confused by this.

Mark is said to be the first bishop. Why isn't it a See of Mark?

Also, are there any Sees of Paul?

If Peter and Paul are 'equals' then why is Rome a Petrine See?
Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
Re: Sees of Peter
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 12:33:26 PM »
Also, are there any Sees of Paul?
Antioch is Peter and Paul, for one.
Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Πάντα μὲν καθαρὰ τοῖς καθαροῖς
Τοῖς δὲ μεμιασμένοις καὶ ἀπίστοις οὐδὲν καθαρόν

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • All who love ZZ, honour ZZ!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
Re: Sees of Peter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 01:24:13 PM »
Alexandria is primarily known as the See of St Mark.  But in the fifth century Pope Leo of Rome, in responding to the increasing claims of Constantinople, underscored the idea of "Apostolic" sees, and claimed that Rome, Alexandria, and Antioch were not only "Apostolic" but "Petrine".  This is clear with regard to Rome and Antioch (both associated with SS Peter and Paul, though St Paul doesn't get much more than honourable mention for some reason), while with regard to Alexandria, the Petrine claim is through St Mark, as the disciple/secretary of St Peter.  This focus on apostolicity (and even the Petrine focus) was to counter the idea that, with the moving of the imperial capital from Rome to Constantinople, the latter should enjoy prerogatives above Alexandria and Antioch, and certainly at least as equal to Rome. 

I don't know if there are any "Sees of St Paul".  The only ones I know of that are linked to St Paul are also linked to St Peter.  But I don't know if anyone out there claims to be the Successor of St Paul.  Maybe he was too itinerant an apostle to settle down somewhere long enough to "establish" a see.       
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10