OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 03:52:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much of the services does your priest chant?  (Read 628 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: June 11, 2013, 10:39:21 PM »

At my parish, we have a situation where the priest routinely chants a number of things "normally" reserved for the chanters.  Some of the things he reserves for himself:
1) the verses of the 1st Kathisma at Great Vespers
2)  alternating verses of Psalms 140, 141, 129 and 116 of Vespers
3) if the apolytikion is chanted thrice (for a great feast)
4) the Kontakion of all Liturgies
5) Alternating verses of the Great Doxology
6) The "Blessed art Thou, O LOrd..." at the Evlogetaria at Orthros
7) Certain Kathismata hymns at Bridegroom Orthros
Cool  Alternating verses of the canon (save for the 9th ode)
9) More Honorable than the Cherubim

THere are more, I'm sure. I know the reason he does this is that because for a long time, there were no chanters available or willing to do Vespers and/or Orthros so he had to do them himself.  But he's never let go of the things listed above. I just want to know how typical or atypical this may be at other Orthodox parishes, particularly those that use Byzantine  chant (Antiochian and Greek).  Thanks.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 10:51:25 PM »

At my parish, we have a situation where the priest routinely chants a number of things "normally" reserved for the chanters.  Some of the things he reserves for himself:
8 )  Alternating verses of the canon (save for the 9th ode)

THere are more, I'm sure. I know the reason he does this is that because for a long time, there were no chanters available or willing to do Vespers and/or Orthros so he had to do them himself.  But he's never let go of the things listed above. I just want to know how typical or atypical this may be at other Orthodox parishes, particularly those that use Byzantine  chant (Antiochian and Greek).  Thanks.

There is nothing reserved for just the chanters. The Proistamenos (aka the parish pastor) is the one who is in charge of how the services are to be done, so if he decides that everything should be chanted by the priest then everything is chanted by the priest. Nothing that you listed seems out of the ordinary. If your priest has a nice voice, then consider yourself blessed that he is joining in.

Joseph
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:58:18 PM »

Cool  Alternating verses of the canon (save for the 9th ode)

I think only 3) and 4) apply to my (Greek) parish. They also tend to sing the first verses of the Evlogitaria for the Reposed at the Mnimosyno, but never the Resurrection ones at Orthros.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:25:33 PM »

There is nothing reserved for just the chanters. The Proistamenos (aka the parish pastor) is the one who is in charge of how the services are to be done, so if he decides that everything should be chanted by the priest then everything is chanted by the priest. Nothing that you listed seems out of the ordinary. If your priest has a nice voice, then consider yourself blessed that he is joining in.
Perhaps a bit of an aside, but my priest routinely gives chanting duties to non-readers (we have two tonsured in our church) and catechumens as well. By chanting duties, I mean reading the Epistle, and certain prayers and psalms at Vespers/Matins, etc. I am not wild about it in the least and somewhat scandalized by letting catechumens read prayers/kathismata, etc (they don't read the Epistle at Liturgy). My priest, while a good prayerful man, was not seminary educated and tends to wing it more often than not and likes to "include people."

You seem to have more experience in these matters. I've only been Orthodox for 4 years and I have been to different parishes, monasteries, etc and have not come across anything like what I highlighted above, but I'd appreciate your and others take on this.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 05:57:51 AM »

By chanting duties, I mean reading the Epistle, and certain prayers and psalms at Vespers/Matins, etc. I am not wild about it in the least and somewhat scandalized by letting catechumens read prayers/kathismata, etc (they don't read the Epistle at Liturgy). My priest, while a good prayerful man, was not seminary educated and tends to wing it more often than not and likes to "include people."

And what's wrong with that?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:45:51 AM »

Our priest has begun to chant more material himself. This may be because our chanters may show up at different times.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 07:52:46 AM »

I agree with the comments that there is no issue, and a bonus if the priest can sing. In the Rusyn chant, and I suspect in the Galician and Lemko traditions as well, this is commonplace, much as you described in the Byzantine. My dad loved to do that, many a generation of "kantoryj" were trained by him in that manner.   
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 10:10:34 AM »

By chanting duties, I mean reading the Epistle, and certain prayers and psalms at Vespers/Matins, etc. I am not wild about it in the least and somewhat scandalized by letting catechumens read prayers/kathismata, etc (they don't read the Epistle at Liturgy). My priest, while a good prayerful man, was not seminary educated and tends to wing it more often than not and likes to "include people."

Catechumens are allowed to read the prayers at Vespers like "Vouchesafe O Lord", trisagion prayers, "Now lettest thou thy servant", kathisma, etc in your church?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 10:18:37 AM »

Catechumens are allowed to read the prayers at Vespers like "Vouchesafe O Lord", trisagion prayers, "Now lettest thou thy servant", kathisma, etc in your church?

At my old parish, even inquirers were allowed to read at Vespers and Matins.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 10:18:51 AM »

#3, 4 only very occasionally; #5 yes - unless he knows his voice is not likely to remain in full form through the DL. He will also pitch in occasionally especially when there is only one chanter present. The reason is usually as that in your situation, but I know that to some extent he copies the priest most influential in training him.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 10:50:47 AM »

And do you think there is anything wrong with that? BTW, that's happened at mine before, too.

In Christ,
Andrew

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 11:06:16 AM »

And do you think there is anything wrong with that? BTW, that's happened at mine before, too.

In Christ,
Andrew
If they are prayers that are said by the congregation - including even visitors - then it may not be out of place. However, responsibility for leading should be given only to those inquirers/catechumens who are clearly headed towards being received into the Church. It can be a valuable tool for instruction - which includes learning to be fully involved in worship. It may also happen that in situations of very low attendance that there simply is no one else willing/available to read the prayers, unless you want the priest to do absolutely everything  Smiley.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 03:12:25 PM »

They are not read, but sung. And yes. They can sing too.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 03:16:12 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew
If they are prayers that are said by the congregation - including even visitors - then it may not be out of place. However, responsibility for leading should be given only to those inquirers/catechumens who are clearly headed towards being received into the Church. It can be a valuable tool for instruction - which includes learning to be fully involved in worship. It may also happen that in situations of very low attendance that there simply is no one else willing/available to read the prayers, unless you want the priest to do absolutely everything  Smiley.
Ours are done in the ROCOR style with specific prayers being designated to be read by a Reader. Trisagion and other prayers aren't said congregationally in our parish, and I believe our diocese as well. I have no qualms with participation in singing with everyone else but I just thought it was inappropriate for inquirers and catechumens to be reading and participating to that extent. There was a reason catechumens were dismissed. Or so I thought.

In Christ,
Andrew
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:19:03 PM by Shlomlokh » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 03:37:35 PM »

I just thought it was inappropriate for inquirers and catechumens to be reading and participating to that extent. There was a reason catechumens were dismissed. Or so I thought.

When do you dismiss catechumens during the vigil  Shocked

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 03:56:07 PM »

They are not read, but sung. And yes. They can sing too.

Nobody cares what you Russians do.  Grin

Joseph
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 12:24:54 AM »

It didn't feel too naughty.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: