OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 04:45:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hagiography  (Read 1143 times) Average Rating: 0
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« on: January 22, 2005, 11:16:57 PM »

IC XC NIKA
Is anyone aware of a good site in which I may order books on the lives of Oriental Orthodox saints, outside the Coptic Orthodox Church would be ideal (though, Coptic saints are great as well)?

EO saints are great as well, and thanks.

copticorthodoxboy
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 11:48:55 PM »

Are you looking for in depth stuff, like an entire book on one saint, or more along the lines of many saints with short hagiographies in a book (or set of volumes)? For the latter I would suggest the Synaxarion, or the Prologue from Ochrid, which you can get at Light N Life  .. you can also get the lives (and writings) of a lot of saints there as well.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 12:23:56 PM »

IC XC NIKA
Thanks for the site, but actually the former, an in-depth book(s).  I'd like to read mostly on saints from Ethiopia and India.  However, any good books on the lives on monks from Athos would do.  OH, does any one know of a good book on St. Seraphim of Sarov (forgive spelling if not right)?
copticorthodoxboy
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 12:43:35 PM »

Saint Seraphim of Sarov: A Spiritual Biography, by Archimandrite Lazarus Moore, which is available from Saint John of Kronstadt Press, is IMO an excellent look at St. Seraphim's life (and to a lesser extent his teachings). The writing of Archimandrite Lazarus is engaging, and he doesn't hold back from discussing some of the issues that other authors (and publishers) probably wouldn't touch. FWIW, the book also includes the famous conversation of St. Seraphim with Motovilov.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 09:40:17 PM »

If you are interested in Armenian saints, there is a book called The Light of the World/ Lives of Armenian Saints. It is published by St. Vartan Press, but I couldn't find it on their website. I did, however, find it on Nareg.com. The ISBN number is 0-934728-40-2.

I think this is how you get to it:

http://narek-store.com/shop/SearchResults.asp?ProdStock=BK%2D5768&inexid=62XAWCNGWG

I am not good at copying and pasting. Hopefully, I did it right.

I have plenty of materials on Coptic saints, but I also would love to find books on the saints of other Oriental Orthodox churches.

Tags: saints Oriental Orthodox saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: