OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 12:53:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug  (Read 1397 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« on: June 11, 2013, 04:05:08 PM »

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug U.S. Official Trailer #1 (2013)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:06:31 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 04:08:36 PM »

One without strange subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcCK55ZnoKM

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »

One without strange subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcCK55ZnoKM

I did a Ninja edit before you posted that...  Grin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 04:15:07 PM »

Not bad, not bad at all.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 07:13:37 PM »

Wow!  Shocked

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 06:38:16 PM »

Cool

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 10:55:21 PM »

The second official trailer was released today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbOEknbi4gQ

Oh yeah

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 08:08:22 AM »

Now I'm drooling...

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 09:25:43 AM »

Now I'm drooling...
Yeah with all the disappointing super hero movies lately, I need this. Smiley

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 09:41:51 AM »

Smaug's voice = chilling.  Perfect.  Can't wait.

Legolas' love interest with a RED HEADED SINDARIN ELF = maddening.

I still don't like Thorin.  I think the actor's choices in dealing with the character's brooding nature just make him a malicious jerk.

I'm hoping someone recuts the three films into a single one the way Topher Grace did with Star Wars I-III...except I actually get to see it. 

I do complain, but I'll still be in the theater on Dec 13.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 09:42:05 AM »

Nice!

It's going to be released in December, right?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 09:45:43 AM »

Nice!

It's going to be released in December, right?

December 13 (in the US, at least).

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 09:50:02 AM »

A day before I return from Romania. I couldn't wish for a better homecoming gift.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 11:48:43 AM »

It was totally great.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 01:02:36 PM »

I'm not particularly excited over this but I'm going to see it some time soon. The first part was kind of ok so this will probably be too. We tried with two friends few weeks ago but it was fully booked. Maybe next time goes better.

The problem with this kind of epic movies that makers generally add too many fights, runaways etc. into it. It gets corny.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 01:04:02 PM »

I saw it. I loved it! I can't wait for the last one.  Cheesy

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 03:26:08 PM »

I've now seen it. I would agree that it was better than the first one. Still not a fan though.  Undecided

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 06:40:13 PM »

After watching the first Hobbit movie again I think I'm starting to come around.

Having said that... a question about eagles. I didn't buy the explanations (I heard) for why the eagles didn't just take Sam/Frodo to Mount Doom in LOTR, but whatever, what's past is past.

But then... they have a similar problem in The Hobbit...? Apparently the eagles were just hanging around with nothing to do and didn't have a problem going over to save the dwarves, so why didn't they just fly them the rest of the way to the destination? Or at least drop them off somewhere they could get supplies or medical help or... I dunno... anywhere other than the middle of nowhere on the top of a cliff/rock?

What's going on here?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 06:46:07 PM »

Having said that... a question about eagles. I didn't buy the explanations (I heard) for why the eagles didn't just take Sam/Frodo to Mount Doom in LOTR, but whatever, what's past is past.

Nazguls flying on vyverns?

But then... they have a similar problem in The Hobbit...? Apparently the eagles were just hanging around with nothing to do and didn't have a problem going over to save the dwarves, so why didn't they just fly them the rest of the way to the destination? Or at least drop them off somewhere they could get supplies or medical help or... I dunno... anywhere other than the middle of nowhere on the top of a cliff/rock?

Not attracting attention? From what it seemed to me Gandalf wanted Thorin's trip not to be popularly known. That's for eample why Thorin did not tell Thranduil the goal of his mission (at least in the book, in the movie Thranduil seemed to be perfectly aware of it). If the eagles brought them directly to Erebor it would certainly be noticed by elves/Sauron/Saruman/whoever.
Jovan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »

Not attracting attention? From what it seemed to me Gandalf wanted Thorin's trip not to be popularly known. That's for eample why Thorin did not tell Thranduil the goal of his mission (at least in the book, in the movie Thranduil seemed to be perfectly aware of it). If the eagles brought them directly to Erebor it would certainly be noticed by elves/Sauron/Saruman/whoever.

Finally with your retirement Michal, you can do what you like and talk about Gandalf, Nazguls and some lovely orcs Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 06:59:48 PM by Jovan » Logged

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 07:03:11 PM »

Hated it. The barrel fighting scene? Absolutely ridiculous. My wife, who has never read any of the related books, even found it stupid.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 07:07:01 PM »

The barrel fighting scene? Absolutely ridiculous. My wife, who has never read any of the related books, even found it stupid.

It was great.

The only one drawback I see is that Thorin seems to be much darker than he was in the book. He's like another one villain, at least in the second movie.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:07:44 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 07:08:16 PM »

After watching the first Hobbit movie again I think I'm starting to come around.

What's going on here?

In the book, the eagles actually speak which the movie completely (to my annoyance) left out. Oddly enough, a bookmark in my copy for the past few years has been on this exact page:

The Lord of the Eagles would not take them anywhere near where men lived. "They would shoot at us with their great bows of yew," he said, "for they would think we were after their sheep. And at other times they would be right. No! we are glad to cheat the goblins of their sport, and glad to repay our thanks to you, but we will not risk ourselves for dwarves in the southward plains."

This was in response to Gandalf wanting the party to be carried across the plains toward the mountain. Decent enough answer.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 07:09:05 PM »

The barrel fighting scene? Absolutely ridiculous. My wife, who has never read any of the related books, even found it stupid.

It was great.

The only one drawback I see is that Thorin seems to be much darker than he was in the book. He's like another one villain, at least in the second movie.

It's pretty much just Pirates of the Caribbean + dwarves.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 07:09:18 PM »

Nazguls flying on vyverns?

But weren't they a problem regardless? At the gate in the last movie the eagles showed up and did some fighting anyway, so I don't see why an attempted covert mission to end things before war truly began would have been deemed less desirable? We also saw scenes in which at least some of them were occupied, such as searching for Frodo in the swamps, attacking Gondor, etc. Perhaps they could have been distracted even more?

That seems fair enough. I'm not sure how many secrets of such types can be kept, though I guess the various forces of evil were still in rebuilding mode, and they had other things on their mind. Actually, yeah, that answer'll work for me. Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 07:10:39 PM »

In the book, the eagles actually speak which the movie completely (to my annoyance) left out. Oddly enough, a bookmark in my copy for the past few years has been on this exact page:

The Lord of the Eagles would not take them anywhere near where men lived. "They would shoot at us with their great bows of yew," he said, "for they would think we were after their sheep. And at other times they would be right. No! we are glad to cheat the goblins of their sport, and glad to repay our thanks to you, but we will not risk ourselves for dwarves in the southward plains."

This was in response to Gandalf wanting the party to be carried across the plains toward the mountain. Decent enough answer.

Yeah, that works as well! Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 07:11:32 PM »

The two movies are running together a bit for me right now, because I watched both within like 36 hours of each other, but when I heard the music in one of the action scenes I definitely remember thinking of POTC. Odd feeling.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:11:59 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 07:12:58 PM »

But weren't they a problem regardless? At the gate in the last movie the eagles showed up and did some fighting anyway, so I don't see why an attempted covert mission to end things before war truly began would have been deemed less desirable? We also saw scenes in which at least some of them were occupied, such as searching for Frodo in the swamps, attacking Gondor, etc. Perhaps they could have been distracted even more?

In the book the eagles arrived when Sauron was dead, Nazguls were dead and Orks were headless. There were no threats that would have prevented them to fly in the middle of Mordor and pick up Frodo and Sam.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 07:16:17 PM »

The two movies are running together a bit for me right now, because I watched both within like 36 hours of each other, but when I heard the music in one of the action scenes I definitely remember thinking of POTC. Odd feeling.

I didn't notice the music, but the over-the-topness of the action scenes. The first movie, when they're on bridge or whatever that falls forever into the chasm which they survive in a Disneyesque manner. Then there's Legolas jumping on people's heads while white-water barreling and shooting arrows with absolute precision. Don't even get me started on the first movie's ridiculous bunny-chariot. Like when he rides off at bunny-speed to lead away the wargs/orcs, but TURNS AROUND and brings them right back to the party. Makes sense, eh?

Oh, not POTC-related, but if the dwarves had be sneaked into Lake-town, how did the orcs ever manage to get in AND run around on people's roofs without ever so much as being seen once?

This review sums up most of my feelings. I am severely disappoint.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 07:17:20 PM »

In the book the eagles arrived when Sauron was dead, Nazguls were dead and Orks were headless. There were no threats that would have prevented them to fly in the middle of Mordor and pick up Frodo and Sam.

It's been quite a while since I read the books... I was mostly thinking of this scene from the 3rd LOTR movie.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:27:32 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 07:19:03 PM »

Watch this part showing what I mean about the rabbit-chariot roundabout.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 07:22:46 PM »

Like when he rides off at bunny-speed to lead away the wargs/orcs, but TURNS AROUND and brings them right back to the party. Makes sense, eh?

That was illogical, indeed.

Ignoring the criticism of LOtR (I agree omission the Cleanings in Shire chapter was a bad move since it was my favourite part of the books) what is Jackson to blame for? That he ignored boring parts when nothing really happened in the Mirkwood or in Thranduil's prison? Or the fact that he wanted to show what Gandalf was doing all that time? Kudos to him!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 07:25:22 PM »

It's been quite a while since I read the books... I was mostly thinking of this scene from the 3rd LOTR movie.

Not remember how it was in the book but I really doubt the Sauron would not have noticed eagles flying into Mordor. I mean the main point that Aragorn attacked Mordor was to bring Sauron's attention outside of it and allow Frodo and Sam to fulfill their mission unnoticed. And they did not know Frodo's exact position.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2014, 07:28:01 PM »

That guy (and you as well?) are seriously mad at all this.  police  Smiley But then I didn't like the book (as an adult), so maybe that's why it's not a big deal to me. Maybe.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 07:29:58 PM »

Not remember how it was in the book but I really doubt the Sauron would not have noticed eagles flying into Mordor. I mean the main point that Aragorn attacked Mordor was to bring Sauron's attention outside of it and allow Frodo and Sam to fulfill their mission unnoticed. And they did not know Frodo's exact position.

But what if he would have noticed them? The Hobbits get noticed (and caught) several times anyway. The eagles didn't have to succeed in sneaking in (though that'd be smart to attempt), they just had to get the ring to it's destination. If they died, they died. (with apologies to Ivan Drago)

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2014, 07:32:54 PM »

But what if he would have noticed them?

He would become aware that something is going on on Orodruine and would bring his attention (and Nazguls) there. And Frodo and Sam would get killed in no time.

The Hobbits get noticed (and caught) several times anyway.

By troops that were aware they were carrying the ring? No.

The eagles didn't have to succeed in sneaking in (though that'd be smart to attempt), they just had to get the ring to it's destination. If they died, they died.

And Sauron would have taken the ring and all the Middle Earth would be doomed.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:34:29 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2014, 07:35:26 PM »

That guy (and you as well?) are seriously mad at all this.  police  Smiley But then I didn't like the book (as an adult), so maybe that's why it's not a big deal to me. Maybe.

I loved the books growing up and I rather liked the LOTR movies, but I'm more disappointed than anything.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2014, 07:36:29 PM »

I loved the books growing up and I rather liked the LOTR movies, but I'm more disappointed than anything.

Not getting it. I read all the books like a dozen of times and I find Hobbit much more close to the original than LotR movies.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2014, 07:43:40 PM »

Like when he rides off at bunny-speed to lead away the wargs/orcs, but TURNS AROUND and brings them right back to the party. Makes sense, eh?

Ignoring the criticism of LOtR (I agree omission the Cleanings in Shire chapter was a bad move since it was my favourite part of the books) what is Jackson to blame for? That he ignored boring parts when nothing really happened in the Mirkwood or in Thranduil's prison? Or the fact that he wanted to show what Gandalf was doing all that time? Kudos to him!

I don't mind showing what Gandalf's doing (variably, some is OK others are not) or the speeding-up of Mirkwood/prison, but I do greatly dislike: 1) the action scenes, 2) much of the filler/Jackson material (e.g. the revamping of Lake-town into an underground revolution). I think what I dislike the absolute most is that Jackson is making the Hobbit into LOTR 1.0 when it is not. The Hobbit does not have the feeling, atmosphere, or really much of anything that LOTR has in terms of tone/direction, but Jackson is forcing it to. He makes up this orc side-story so they're being chased the whole way just like the Fellowship in LOTR being hunted. He makes it an unnecessary trilogy, and reworks many scenes and makes them more action-driven than they are or even need to be for movie-efficiency.

IOW, he completely changes the essence of the Hobbit into the LOTR.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2014, 07:45:15 PM »

Not getting it. I read all the books like a dozen of times and I find Hobbit much more close to the original than LotR movies.

Watched them growing up, so mostly just nostalgia goggles. I realized then that they didn't stick to the books too closely either.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »

2) much of the filler/Jackson material (e.g. the revamping of Lake-town into an underground revolution). I think what I dislike the absolute most is that Jackson is making the Hobbit into LOTR 1.0 when it is not. The Hobbit does not have the feeling, atmosphere, or really much of anything that LOTR has in terms of tone/direction, but Jackson is forcing it to. He makes up this orc side-story so they're being chased the whole way just like the Fellowship in LOTR being hunted. He makes it an unnecessary trilogy, and reworks many scenes and makes them more action-driven than they are or even need to be for movie-efficiency.

Hobbit was a book for kids. It was later revamped into the part of Arda's universe with all its mythology, history, subplots and whatever. IMO it is good for Jackson that he tried to make it as an integral part of that universe, showing all relations etc.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2014, 07:56:47 PM »

Hobbit was a book for kids. It was later revamped into the part of Arda's universe with all its mythology, history, subplots and whatever. IMO it is good for Jackson that he tried to make it as an integral part of that universe, showing all relations etc.

I don't mind Jackson attempting the latter, but I do like that the book is more simple/folktale-like/child-accessible and just wish he had retained more of it (and less of the POTC action).

Complaints aside, I admit I rather enjoyed the first Hobbit movie and liked it considerably more than the second. I'll no doubt give the second another try and see if it grows on me.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:57:32 PM by Nephi » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2014, 08:45:10 PM »

I don't mind showing what Gandalf's doing (variably, some is OK others are not) or the speeding-up of Mirkwood/prison, but I do greatly dislike: 1) the action scenes, 2) much of the filler/Jackson material (e.g. the revamping of Lake-town into an underground revolution). I think what I dislike the absolute most is that Jackson is making the Hobbit into LOTR 1.0 when it is not. The Hobbit does not have the feeling, atmosphere, or really much of anything that LOTR has in terms of tone/direction, but Jackson is forcing it to. He makes up this orc side-story so they're being chased the whole way just like the Fellowship in LOTR being hunted. He makes it an unnecessary trilogy, and reworks many scenes and makes them more action-driven than they are or even need to be for movie-efficiency.

I actually like the fact that he's doing this. If you don't like Peter Jackson's darker, more sophisticated view of The Hobbit, you can just stick to the book and never watch the movies. I'm not a child, though--I'm an adult fan of Middle Earth--so I enjoy reading the back story into The Hobbit even when I read the book. The only difference I see between Peter Jackson's rendition and my own interpretation is that Peter Jackson has developed his own version of the back story. The Hobbit was indeed written for an audience of children, but for its adult readers, it also contains a lot of portents of much darker times to come, darker times that are the subject of LOTR. I appreciate Peter Jackson for exploring this connection and making his version of The Hobbit a LOTR prequel.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:50:22 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2014, 09:01:29 PM »

If you don't like Peter Jackson's darker, more sophisticated view of The Hobbit, you can just stick to the book and never watch the movies. I'm not a child, though--I'm an adult fan of Middle Earth--so I enjoy reading the back story into The Hobbit even when I read the book.

K.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2014, 11:01:47 PM »

I just watched the second movie yesterday and I have to agree with you.  It was a good movie, but it wasn't the Hobbit. I felt that the LOTR movies really captured the essence of the trilogy.  With the Hobbit, I feel as if it has a completely different feel than the book.  Undecided

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: