OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 11:55:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archbishop Seraphim (Storheim) trial beginning  (Read 3012 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2014, 09:36:06 PM »

would some please explain to me why Fr. giryus' posting are completely blank?
They work on mine and I quoted one of his above.

Google was adversely affected by something.
NOAA has been having difficulties uploading data regarding solar activities.
And then I have had periodical outages here at OC.net.

Perhaps we are having some kind of solar phenomena.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2014, 09:41:15 PM »

In both other cases, there was only eye-witness testimony and in both cases, the defendant was acquitted. I remember the judge saying in one case that he made his judgement believing that a jury would not find the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

So how come the ruling was otherwise in this case? What is the big difference?
Because there was even in the complainant's testimony enough reason to believe that the act was consensual (minors were not involved - all concerned were above the age of legal consent).
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2014, 09:48:12 PM »

The kids did not say he touched them, fortunately.
I tend to believe what the kids said, and I don't like it.

Undecided

Was Archbishop Seraphim convicted of indecent exposure?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2014, 11:02:55 PM »

But as someone who has known him for 28 years, I can say with confidence that he is no child molester.  If you truly knew him, you would know that he is a very loving and dedicated pastor.

So?

Many criminals of the sociopathic variety are very skilled at compartmentalizing their lives to a frightening extent. While he may be the Saintly, loving man that you've known for 28 years, he could have been entirely different behind closed doors. Not even Ted Bundy's family knew what he was doing and they grew up with him.

If someone is a real child predator, when a case like this comes to light many more victims almost invariably come forward.

There is a first time for everything

Archbishop Seraphim has been clergy of one kind or another for something like 43 years, but not one other complainant has come forward apart from these brothers, not one.

Again, a first time for everything. Besides, there are many other explanations too. What if there are other victims who simply did not want to speak out after so long due to embarrassment, shame, or the other problems that I'm sure sexual abuse victims face?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2014, 11:05:37 PM »

The article cited in Elisha's announcement of the verdict indicates that the judge was convinced beyond any reasonable doubt of His Eminence's guilt on the one charge. This sounds very similar to the language I've heard in the USA as foundation for conviction of a crime, that the evidence must be convincing beyond any shadow of a reasonable doubt.

What evidence? As I heard there was only a testimony.

Well, I imagine in these cases that the Court has to examine the objective evidence as to what was going on at the time in question, and that has to then be compared to the testimonies of the persons involved and the testimony that most matches the objective evidence is probably more likely to be true. That being said, I imagine that the victim's testimony was more consistent with objective fact than that of the Bishop. I mean, if the shoe fits...

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2014, 11:31:24 PM »

Well, I imagine in these cases that the Court has to examine the objective evidence as to what was going on at the time in question, and that has to then be compared to the testimonies of the persons involved and the testimony that most matches the objective evidence is probably more likely to be true. That being said, I imagine that the victim's testimony was more consistent with objective fact than that of the Bishop. I mean, if the shoe fits...
And I mean probability should not be enough for a convinction, only proof.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2014, 11:39:54 PM »

That's a lot of imagination. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2014, 11:50:59 PM »

The Judge was particularly blunt in his findings of fact:

"Queen's Bench Justice Chris Mainella blasted (Archbishop) Storheim in handing down the verdict, saying his claims of innocence rang hollow. "He loves to parse words and concepts," Mainella said. "Other times he would provide nonsensical answers. I reject his evidence entirely"...Storheim admitted writing a letter of apology to the family years later in which he said, "I probably stepped over a pastoral line." But he claims those remarks were for the talk about puberty and nothing more sinister.....He told the court he was "flabbergasted" when the children's mother accused him of wrongdoing, saying, "I sent the boys to be taught Scripture and not dirty stuff." (Judge) Mainella called the letter a "key piece of evidence" and suggested it showed a guilty mind. "This goes beyond a mere misguided discussion about puberty," he said." http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/archbishop-found-guilty-of-sex-assault-241935181.html?device=mobile

In the course of my career, I've read thousands of judicial and arbitration findings over the years. They are rarely that direct except when the losing side either played the judge or arbitrator for a fool or presented a totally incredible argument.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:54:00 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2014, 03:42:53 AM »

Indeed

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2014, 10:54:23 AM »

would some please explain to me why Fr. giryus' posting are completely blank?
They work on mine and I quoted one of his above.

Google was adversely affected by something.
NOAA has been having difficulties uploading data regarding solar activities.
And then I have had periodical outages here at OC.net.

Perhaps we are having some kind of solar phenomena.

Roll Eyes

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Incognito777
Warned
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2014, 11:14:57 AM »

I would encourage people to show empathy for the VICTIMS. They will be traumatized for life. Archbishop Seraphim should never have allowed himself to be a bishop, due to what he did. He should have stepped down and obeyed the teaching of the canons, due to a sense of obedience and fear of God.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »

Indeed
Called out for grossly inappropriate speculation into things you know nothing about, and a childish reference to Mr. Squarepants is all you can come back with?
kyril

Faith: Christian (Orthodox)
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Canada - OCA

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2014, 11:27:24 AM »

I really don't see what's the point of going on and on with this; the trial is over, the verdict has been handed down, and all the rest is just character judgement. Or something less tasteful!
Call it quits for goodness' sake!

kyril
kyril

Faith: Christian (Orthodox)
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Canada - OCA

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2014, 12:56:58 PM »

To Incognito777: you seem to have a one-track mind.
                        and if you have some attack to make, please have the courtesy to make it here in the open forum instead of by private messages.

kyril
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2014, 02:01:27 PM »

and if you have some attack to make, please have the courtesy to make it here in the open forum instead of by private messages.
If you don't want him pestering you via private messages, you can put him on your PM ignore list, which will block all PM's coming from him in the future.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2014, 03:22:10 PM »

Actually, Incognito is right in this thread.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Incognito777
Warned
Elder

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2014, 12:52:48 AM »

The problem with these homosexual minded clergy and laity, is that they don't believe in Holy Scripture. The New Testament teaching about homosexuality is CLEAR, and the Jewish rabbinical commentaries on the various passages in Leviticus (which condemn homosexuality) are clear, and refer to such action as vile, detestable and wicked. The ungodly and unchristian concepts of our era formed the souls and attitudes of these poor people.  From: "The Communist Takeover Of America - 45 Declared Goals," (item number 26).

" Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as "normal, natural, healthy."

This demonic Communist delusion and agenda has permeated our pagan society.

REPENT!
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2014, 02:10:17 AM »

The apology letter changes the picture to me, of course.

If Vladyka Serpahim is guilty, I hope he will repent for it.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2014, 02:25:46 AM »

From: "The Communist Takeover Of America - 45 Declared Goals," (item number 26).
" Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as "normal, natural, healthy."
This was from a polemical 1958 book "The Naked Communist" written during the Cold War by an anti-Communist. It was hardly a goal that the Soviet Union declared in 1958.

Neither the Soviet Union, nor Russia, nor Canada actually likes what the archbishop is said to have done, brother.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:27:55 AM by rakovsky » Logged
Incognito777
Warned
Elder

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2014, 01:20:19 PM »

Why didn't you tell me that in a private message? And what is wrong with private messages? I sent you a PM before because there I am granted certain liberties, in terms of verbal expression not permitted in the public domain.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2014, 01:20:19 PM »

The problem with these homosexual minded clergy and laity, is that they don't believe in Holy Scripture. The New Testament teaching about homosexuality is CLEAR, and the Jewish rabbinical commentaries on the various passages in Leviticus (which condemn homosexuality) are clear, and refer to such action as vile, detestable and wicked. The ungodly and unchristian concepts of our era formed the souls and attitudes of these poor people.  From: "The Communist Takeover Of America - 45 Declared Goals," (item number 26).

REPENT!

Takung back my words. This topic has nothing to do with homosexuality.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Incognito777
Warned
Elder

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2014, 08:39:42 PM »

Michal, actually it has everything to do with it.
Incognito777
Warned
Elder

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2014, 08:39:42 PM »

To the person who referred to Archbishop Seraphim as "beloved," I categorically assure you that your tune would change real fast had he molested you or one of your own children. When things become personal, than suddenly they take on cosmic significance. I would encourage people to think of the VICTIMS.
Incognito777
Warned
Elder

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2014, 08:39:42 PM »

I fail to understand the motive of the person who started this thread. What possible good and spiritual edification could possibly come from dragging this bishop and the image of the Church through the mud? Isn't his punishment by the legal system and the Church enough? Why humiliate him here?

When I converted to Orthodoxy many years ago, I thought I was joining the Church of saints. Instead, I found the Orthodox to be just as worldly (or more so), than my Protestant constituents. This saddens me terribly. The most gossipy and malicious people I have ever known have been Orthodox.

I thought I was joining the Church of saints. But instead, I found this Church crawling with homosexual clergymen. In fact, virtually every-time I turn around I learn about some new homosexual or pedophile priest or bishop.
Incognito777
Warned
Elder

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2014, 02:27:10 AM »

The problems in the contemporary Church are due to the fact that it is made up of humans, and because we are in the last times. Orthodoxy is true.
Incognito777
Warned
Elder

« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2014, 11:12:21 PM »

This Archbishop is to be deposed. If you defend him, you will be sinning against the Church, and dishonoring the VICTIM.

THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN SODOMIZED CANNOT BE CLERGYMEN

St. John the Faster's CANON XIX

SODOMITES EXCOMMUNICATED AND DEPOSED

St. Basil's CANON VII (See also, St. Basil's Canon LXII; St. John the Faster's Canon XVIII).

FORNICATORS EXCOMMUNICATED/DEPOSED

Apostolic Canon 25; Saint Basil's Canon 3; Saint John the Faster's Canon XII;

THOSE WHO DO NOT REPORT SUCH SINS OF OTHERS, BUT CONCEAL THEM RECEIVE THE SAME PENALTIES

St. John the Faster's CANON XXV
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2014, 11:35:33 PM »

This Archbishop is to be deposed.
By an authority other than yourself. Remember that.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2014, 04:22:24 PM »

I fail to understand the motive of the person who started this thread. What possible good and spiritual edification could possibly come from dragging this bishop and the image of the Church through the mud? Isn't his punishment by the legal system and the Church enough? Why humiliate him here?

When I converted to Orthodoxy many years ago, I thought I was joining the Church of saints. Instead, I found the Orthodox to be just as worldly (or more so), than my Protestant constituents. This saddens me terribly. The most gossipy and malicious people I have ever known have been Orthodox.

I thought I was joining the Church of saints. But instead, I found this Church crawling with homosexual clergymen. In fact, virtually every-time I turn around I learn about some new homosexual or pedophile priest or bishop.

I have been in the Church all of my life and I have the opposite experience. However, I have always known that the Church is a hospital and that the saints in Her are those sinners who are in treatment. It cannot be otherwise. Show me Church that believes otherwise and I will show you that such a church is not a Christian one.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Sakeneko

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2014, 11:55:49 PM »

I have been in the Church all of my life and I have the opposite experience. However, I have always known that the Church is a hospital and that the saints in Her are those sinners who are in treatment. It cannot be otherwise. Show me Church that believes otherwise and I will show you that such a church is not a Christian one.

Bingo.  I've seen all the problems that Incognito777 has in my almost-20 years as an Orthodox Christian, although I also have met a few people I think are saints. (Really.)  Nothing I read in the Holy Scriptures led me to expect anything else.  "Lord, grant that I might see my own sins and not judge my brother"....
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2014, 01:17:21 AM »

This Archbishop is to be deposed.
By an authority other than yourself. Remember that.

Indeed!

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »

http://oca.org/news/headline-news/statement-of-the-holy-synod-of-bishops-concerning-the-archdiocese-of-canada

Retired?

Oh, I guess a bishop cannot be defrocked.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:23:06 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2014, 04:45:34 PM »

Sure a bishop can be unfrocked. The OCA's Press release noted that an investigatory committee is being convened with the ultimate intention of convening a Spiritual Court. The church is not bound to make a determination of guilt based on the ruling of the civil courts, necessarily. As noted above, the OCA does not currently have the canonically required number of bishops (12) to serve as a Spiritual Court for a bishop. We can assume, that matter will be addressed at a later time.

My question though, to Carl perhaps, why does the OCA routinely name a "Locum Tenens" separate from an acting "Administrator."  Does it have anything to do with the fact that Bishop Irenee is an Auxiliary Bishop and not a ruling diocesan?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:48:30 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2014, 04:56:12 PM »

Sure a bishop can be unfrocked. The OCA's Press release noted that an investigatory committee is being convened with the ultimate intention of convening a Spiritual Court. The church is not bound to make a determination of guilt based on the ruling of the civil courts, necessarily. As noted above, the OCA does not currently have the canonically required number of bishops (12) to serve as a Spiritual Court for a bishop. We can assume, that matter will be addressed at a later time.

My question though, to Carl perhaps, why does the OCA routinely name a "Locum Tenens" separate from an acting "Administrator."  Does it have anything to do with the fact that Bishop Irenee is an Auxiliary Bishop and not a ruling diocesan?

Could the OCA Synod borrow a bishop from the ROCOR-MP or ask one of its many retired bishops to serve temporarily on the Spiritual Court?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:56:45 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2014, 05:14:46 PM »

Yes, but their "retired" bishops all have baggage which would compromise the determination of a Spiritual Court.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2014, 05:19:04 PM »

Yes, but their "retired" bishops all have baggage which would compromise the determination of a Spiritual Court.

The OCA probably need to refine their vetting process.

Does any other jurisdiction have the same problem where the number of retired bishops = the number of active bishops (not including auxiliaries or assistants) on their Synod?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2014, 11:26:08 PM »

The OCA has cleaned up its act. The "retired" bishops were the result of a corrupt Chancellor, enabled by and in concert with a former Metropolitan (the Chancellor was transferred and later unfrocked, thankfully), who kept himself enabled by facilitating the election of compromised candidates for the episcopacy; candidates over whom he could wield influence because he had compromising information about them. A Special Investigation Committee (SIC) Report, September, 2008, exposed the mess officially, and the OCA has since corrected its compromising ways, but that's why there are a lot of "retired" bishops, who would compromise the integrity of a Spiritual Court.

The "retirements" of the former Bishop of Chicago, Matthias and of Metropolitan Jonah are unrelated to the scandals noted above.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:32:55 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2014, 10:13:04 PM »

Clarification Concerning the Status of Archbishop Seraphim

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
liftsifter
St David the King

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

Weeping Icon of Our Lady of Cicero

« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2014, 01:41:35 AM »

Lord have mercy!

It's a good thing the OCA quickly retired him, but I believe he should be laicized, as well.

"And the King will say to them, ‘Verily I say to you, inasmuch as you have done it to the least of these my bretheren, you have done it to Me.’" Matthew 25
Sakeneko

« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2014, 03:00:23 AM »

Lord have mercy!

It's a good thing the OCA quickly retired him, but I believe he should be laicized, as well.

Assuming that he's guilty, absolutely.  In addition, until his appeals in the secular courts are finished and an ecclesiastical court is convened and does its work, I believe that he should be prevented from having access to children.  Fortunately with his conviction in civil court, that should be taken care of.

However, I don't think that the OCA hierarchy is wrong to wait for the secular court process to be completed before it acts to defrock an Archbishop, or any cleric.  I also don't think that the hierarchy is wrong when it refuses to consider a conviction in secular court to be proof of guilt before investigating the circumstances themselves.  Anybody who has been following the work of the innocence Project in the U.S. knows that the U.S. legal system has incorrectly convicted a large number of innocent people and put them on death row.  The problem is endemic, and systemic -- the courts (judges and juries both) accept as valid "evidence" that is either false or does not prove what they believe it proves.  I do not for one minute think that the rate of incorrect convictions in my own country is less for people who are accused of crimes that do not carry a death penalty; the system is *more* careful with death penalty cases than others. 

Unfortunately there is good reason to believe that a number of other countries have the same problem.  The UK is one of them -- there are several groups of legal authorities and concerned citizens that have documented numerous similar miscarriages of justice to the Innocence Project cases in the U.S.  I haven't heard of an "Innocence Project" in Canada, but Canada's legal system is similar to the UK legal system and -- to a lesser but real extent -- to the legal system in the U.S.

As I understand the facts of Archbishop Seraphim Storheim's case, it rests on accusations made by two brothers.  A priest in his diocese also testified that the brothers had made statements to him years ago accusing the Archbishop of molesting them.  Despite extensive efforts, however, nobody could find another victim.  It is quite unusual, although not unprecedented, for a pedophile not to leave a string of broken lives behind him.  And, due to the decades that have passed since the alleged molestations took place, there's no physical or circumstantial evidence, just the witnesses.

I'm not entirely convinced that he's guilty.  I really hope that *something* comes up in the appellate process to establish his innocence or guilt more firmly.  I bet that the Holy Synod feels the same.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:02:25 AM by Sakeneko » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2014, 08:35:11 AM »

Lord have mercy!

Assuming that he's guilty, absolutely.  In addition, until his appeals in the secular courts are finished and an ecclesiastical court is convened and does its work, I believe that he should be prevented from having access to children.  Fortunately with his conviction in civil court, that should be taken care of.

However, I don't think that the OCA hierarchy is wrong to wait for the secular court process to be completed before it acts to defrock an Archbishop, or any cleric.  I also don't think that the hierarchy is wrong when it refuses to consider a conviction in secular court to be proof of guilt before investigating the circumstances themselves.  Anybody who has been following the work of the innocence Project in the U.S. knows that the U.S. legal system has incorrectly convicted a large number of innocent people and put them on death row.  The problem is endemic, and systemic -- the courts (judges and juries both) accept as valid "evidence" that is either false or does not prove what they believe it proves.  I do not for one minute think that the rate of incorrect convictions in my own country is less for people who are accused of crimes that do not carry a death penalty; the system is *more* careful with death penalty cases than others. 

Unfortunately there is good reason to believe that a number of other countries have the same problem.  The UK is one of them -- there are several groups of legal authorities and concerned citizens that have documented numerous similar miscarriages of justice to the Innocence Project cases in the U.S.  I haven't heard of an "Innocence Project" in Canada, but Canada's legal system is similar to the UK legal system and -- to a lesser but real extent -- to the legal system in the U.S.

As I understand the facts of Archbishop Seraphim Storheim's case, it rests on accusations made by two brothers.  A priest in his diocese also testified that the brothers had made statements to him years ago accusing the Archbishop of molesting them.  Despite extensive efforts, however, nobody could find another victim.  It is quite unusual, although not unprecedented, for a pedophile not to leave a string of broken lives behind him.  And, due to the decades that have passed since the alleged molestations took place, there's no physical or circumstantial evidence, just the witnesses.

I'm not entirely convinced that he's guilty.  I really hope that *something* comes up in the appellate process to establish his innocence or guilt more firmly.  I bet that the Holy Synod feels the same.
Though I hope something substantive exonerates him, if not, and Abp. Seraphim gets off on a technicality, it is good that the Holy Synod tries him seperately: it gives justice another shot if the courts fail.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2014, 08:57:22 AM »

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/04/02/naughty-archbishop-wont-be-defrocked

"A disgraced archbishop recently found guilty of sexually assaulting a Winnipeg boy in the 1980s will not be defrocked by the Archdiocese of Canada.

Instead, Archbishop Seraphim Storheim was retired quietly by the church.

The decision has outraged critics who say the decision to spare Storheim of the defrocking goes directly against the church’s sexual misconduct policy."

Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: It's an old one!
Jurisdiction: Less old.

Hae bae, did u mis mae?

« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2014, 09:00:50 AM »

"A disgraced archbishop recently found guilty of sexually assaulting a Winnipeg boy in the 1980s will not be defrocked by the Archdiocese of Canada.

The decision has outraged critics who say the decision to spare Storheim of the defrocking goes directly against the church’s sexual misconduct policy."

What a ridiculous title.

When I die, I figure the worst I'll get is what I deserve. Any injustice on the part of God will certainly be because He is all too merciful.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2014, 09:42:31 AM »

What a ridiculous title.
I agree.  You can go to the web site and make a comment.  This is a serious matter and deserves a more suitable title.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:43:06 AM by Orest » Logged
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2014, 10:33:53 AM »

Popular media rarely gets religion, science or crime stories correctly. Most of these topics require an appreciation of nuance and an understanding of the processes governing them in order for a reporter  to write a reasonably accurate and intelligent news story about them. Sadly such qualities are lacking more often than not, even on large, national news operations.

We see this constantly in the stupid stories misstating the meaning of the current pope' s homilies or interviews.

Most reporting these days is reactive, rather than informative.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:34:22 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2014, 02:30:45 PM »

I was told that an administrator focuses on administering the diocese (essentially routine matters) while the Locum Tenens, who is already a ruling bishop, can focus on policy and those matters that are reserved only to a ruling diocesan bishop. As for the situation in Canada, since Bishop Irenee is an auxiliary, he cannot fill the position of locum tenens. I would think that making him a Locum Tenens would be equivalent to elevating him to ruling bishop in contravention of the OCA Statute.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: