OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 12:13:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the Orthodox Affinity for Anglicans?  (Read 4612 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: June 11, 2013, 08:16:59 AM »

I have a question:

Of all the Protestant denominations, why does the Orthodox Church seem to have more affinity for Anglicans than all others? The Anglican church seems to have deviated further from Orthodox values than any other mainstream denomination. They even elect homosexual "bishops." So, I am confused as to why we Orthodox seem to profess more kinship with Anglicans than other Protestant denominations - especially since the Anglican church was essentially founded upon the sin of divorce. All I can surmise is that the Anglicans are at least sacramental, but the Lutherans are too. And I personally have more respect for those that deny the sacraments than for those who profess to validate the sacraments while teaching demonic heresies. Can you guys help me understand? Forgive my ignorance.

Selam
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:17:39 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 08:24:12 AM »

It's been decades since this "affinity" ceased to exist.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 08:26:51 AM »

Theory 1: Hangups from the World Wars. Anglicans were allies, Lutherans were the enemy. (That didn't help the RC either, in my neck of the woods.)

Theory 2: It's the Anglicans who feel affinity with the Orthodox. After all, John Mason Neale co-founded the Anglican and Eastern Churches Association as early as 1864.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 08:30:07 AM »

I would recommend reading Sir Steven Runcimann's book, The Great Church in Captivity where he documents the contacts and relations of the EP (since they were the ones who made the initial contacts with Western Protestants) with various Protestant confessions, i.e. Lutherans, Anglicans and Calvinists.  I think you may get a few answers from that.  With the Anglicans, I think that the "affinity" really only pertains to what has happened here in America and, like LBK said, that affinity pretty much subsided by the early 1900s.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 09:02:59 AM »

I think it's a cultural and regional thing.

Here in Brazil Orthodoxy and RC live a bromance.

Being an overral friendly minority in the West, Orhodox will tend to have good relations and seek affinities with the major religions of the culture they are in.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:15:01 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 09:36:14 AM »

Ditto.
I haven't noticed any recent affinity - except on the Anglican side. It's all old history.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 09:57:38 AM »

You'll find lots of Orthodox converts who went through an Episcopalian phase.

While many people around here like to jump on the bash-the-'piskies bandwagon as soon as Anglicanism is mentioned like they get to skip a Toll House for insulting Episcopal clergy (seriously, start a thread about Episcopalians and see how long it takes for someone to say "priestess"), some folks look back at their time in the Episcopal church as a flawed but ultimately fruitful time that helped them come to Orthodoxy. So there's going to be some affinity for the system that, in its own way, helped them come to the truth.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 10:10:37 AM »

There seem to be some Episcopalians who went through an Orthodox phase as well.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 10:25:36 AM »

True enough. There's a list of orthoconvert rules out there somewhere (akin to the rules of the Internet) that says most Orthodox converts don't last five years.

On a different but related note, I won't name names or cities, but I've met a handful of people who identified as Orthodox for years even though they attend and communed in an Episcopal parish, in part because there were no Orthodox churches available within 50 or 60 miles of their homes. When they moved to an area with an Orthodox church, they resumed communing in the OC without any pangs of conscience.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 10:32:47 AM »

On a different but related note, I won't name names or cities, but I've met a handful of people who identified as Orthodox for years even though they attend and communed in an Episcopal parish, in part because there were no Orthodox churches available within 50 or 60 miles of their homes. When they moved to an area with an Orthodox church, they resumed communing in the OC without any pangs of conscience.

My husband's godfather is one. Of course, he's in his 70s so this was quite awhile ago. His priest and Bishop gave the Greek families permission to attend the local Episcopal church, when they were unable to make the long trip to the Greek Orthodox Church.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 10:57:41 AM »

orthodox Anglicans have an extremely similar ecclesiology and what many consider to be a compatible faith, at least considering those anglicans who ignore the protestant declarations made in the past.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 11:41:25 AM »

Being an overral friendly minority in the West, Orhodox will tend to have good relations and seek affinities with the major religions of the culture they are in.

What is the state of the Roman Catholic Church in relationship with the ever growing influence of Pentecostalism and Evangelicals in Brazil?
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 12:37:24 PM »

They try to fight it back. As I can see from outside, it seems there are several fronts: charismatic to fight them on their own ground, pop-midiatic which you can see in UHF channels, some with a lot of heavy weight funders behind like Aparecida TV, and more recently some internet traditionalists have been putting up a kind of "cultural war" against the many innacuracies Protestants cultivate about the nature and history of the Roman Church.

There are still traces of the "inculturation gang" which were very close to the Liberation Theology folks. These are the ones who would perform the crazy masses "adapted" to whatever sub-set of culture they happened to be near to. Unfortunately you still see that kind of thing even in major churches like the Aparecida Cathedral. Recently, the CNBB (the National Conference of Bishops of Brazil) issued a statement about reactivating the "Comunidades Eclesiais de Base" (Ecclesial Communities of the Base) which were Liberation Theology cells which promoted the advance of marxist-roman-catholicism and were responsible for the creation of PT (the Labourers Party, now in government for 10 years). This in light of the accumulating scandals that have made the popularity of the current president drop a lot. Basically, top government officials were condemned for corruption during Lula's term. Yet, they have taken office as Congressmen and are trying to issue laws that will limit decisions of the Judiciary. On top of that there are some abortion and gay marriage topics going on but the left is far too hegemonic, so the scenario is nothing like the US in that regard. You have the population who is overtly conservative on those matters and a political elite who has created anti-guns laws a couple of years a democratic referendum said no to them. Anyway, Pe. Marcelo, a singer-priest and one of the top figures of the pop-midiatic group, heavily criticized the CNBB on talk radio and that was a big surprise to everybody.

What seems to me to be the most succesful ones are the pop-midiatic (I don't mean it in a pejorative way) with a "doctrine-light" approach, masses that are very, *very* minimalist but at least not blasphemous as "circus masses" and similar stuff. They have an image of being more "humane", dettached from the pomp and circumstance of the more traditional forms of Roman Catholicism and yet loyal to its spirit and doctrine. Pope Francis comes out of this trend, I suppose. The more traditionalist folk seem to be right behind. Recently, a priest published coments that he thought that open marriages were not a sin against fidelity, and for gay marriage. He was called to take back what he said lest he be excommunicated. To show he is a spoiled child, he "quit" before anything happened, and was duely excommunicated after the deadline expired. The cardinal of São Paulo, the same who inspired the name Francis to the Pope, held a mass in the Catholic University against the protests of the alumni, long taken by leftist agremmiations since the late 50s, and that was a big victory for them as well.

Overall, the Roman Church still seems to be struglling to find a way to revert the trend. That has to do, unfortunately, with getting rid of the radical left that parasites it.

What is the state of the Roman Catholic Church in relationship with the ever growing influence of Pentecostalism and Evangelicals in Brazil?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:42:12 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 01:27:48 PM »

I think there are four main reasons. In the late 1800s as a result of the Oxford Movement there got to be a lot of interest in old theology and ritual, and one natural outlet for that was looking at eastern church material (not to mention the fathers). If you look in the Episcopal Hymnal you can see a bunch of new hymns from this period which are translations of patristic texts, for instance. This was enhanced by a certain natural compatibility and by the Anglican rejection of Thomism as a theological framework, which made it possible for the eastern contacts to teach Anglicans without being automatically rejected. The third factor was that the contacts were present in the first place: St. Tikhon's visit to the US, and later the emigre community created by the communists, brought Russian clerics in contact with the Anglicans, who were eager to talk to them in turn. The final factor, of course, is that the Russian church arts, especially music, are very beautiful, and Anglicans by then had become connoisseurs of church beauty. All of this made Russian things very attractive to Anglicans, and for a time the inward flow was quite strong.

If thinking that heresies are demonic is the starting point for your analysis, then I think you aren't going to get very far. Anglicanism has an extremely strong proclivity towards looking to other churches for ideas, and incorporating them without being converted utterly to someone else's system. That's ultimately why Anglo-Orthodox discussions inevitably fail: the Orthodox aren't interested, as a rule, in discussion. They talk, but they don't listen. That said, relationships with other churches are colored by familial connections which the Orthodox don't have. Lutherans, Calvinists and (Ana-)Baptists are sisters, of the same generation: there is some talk, but it is very much between equals/rivals (excepting the Methodists, our own sept). Catholicism is, of course, Mom, with all the dynamics that implies. The implied authority claim always sticks, especially when She's wrong.  Wink Also, in the USA the two churches took very different paths in looking at liturgy which still do not sit well with each other. The Orthodox, on the other hand, came to us without a lot of common history; therefore the political tensions were never there to get in the way.

Proper title added to post  -PtA
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 05:32:46 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »

...Especially since the Anglican church was essentially founded upon the sin of divorce....
Actually, King Henry VIII tried to get his marriage annulled after finding out that his wife was actually his half-sister.  The problem with the pope merely granting a divorce/annullment was that his wife's nephew was the emperor of Spain, who at the time was holding the pope hostage.  The only way to grant the divorce from his sinful marriage and to not have the pope killed was to first break off from the church.  The (still technically Catholic) Archbishop of Canterbury granted the divorce.  What he did was not technically uncanonical in the Roman Church at the time, as kings were given the same rights to appointing bishops as the pope.

King Henry VIII was appointed a "Defender of the Faith" by the pope before all of this happened and he wrote extensively against Martin Luther.

The early Anglican fruits were actually good.  Before the Anglicans split, people would be burned alive in England for having a Bible written in English in their possession.  But King Henry VIII changed all of that and allowed the free printing of the Word of God.  He also got rid of "Peter's Pence" (which often went to fund the armies of England's enemies), he destroyed a lot of the church's property and gave it back to England's citizens who were often forced to give it to the church to begin with, and stopped many other things from the old and oppressive Church. Of course, he still had his whole marrying fourteen different people problem, but at the time people were really misogynist and believed that it was his wife's fault for not producing an heir, many of the divorces were not his decisions.  All of these things lead to the Roman Church cutting off communication with England, but that didn't happen until about the time of Queen Elizabeth.  Eventually after Queen Mary, the King James Bible was printed in 1611 and the rest is history.

Having said all of this, it truly feels like an unfair waste to me.  The Anglican Church was founded, contrary to popular belief, on stopping someone in a high place of power from committing sexual immorality, yet the modern Anglicans were not only one of the first Christian denominations to allow homosexuals to marry, but now they have practicing homosexuals as bishops.

I think the Lutherans (LCMS especially) are probably the "best" protestant denomination, but I probably would not have said that 100 years ago.

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 01:37:14 PM »

I have a question:

Of all the Protestant denominations, why does the Orthodox Church seem to have more affinity for Anglicans than all others?
As others have said already, we once did, but that affinity no longer exists.

The Anglican church seems to have deviated further from Orthodox values than any other mainstream denomination. They even elect homosexual "bishops." So, I am confused as to why we Orthodox seem to profess more kinship with Anglicans than other Protestant denominations - especially since the Anglican church was essentially founded upon the sin of divorce.
You do realize that the creation of the Church of England is a lot more nuanced than your simple-minded polemics allow you to believe?

All I can surmise is that the Anglicans are at least sacramental, but the Lutherans are too. And I personally have more respect for those that deny the sacraments than for those who profess to validate the sacraments while teaching demonic heresies. Can you guys help me understand? Forgive my ignorance.
Come back and rejoin this discussion after you've done a lot more reading on the subject. Right now your polemics appear to be keeping you ignorant.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 12:09:30 AM »

Thanks to those of you who took the time to answer my question without condescension or ridicule. Some very informative responses, so I am grateful. You can't learn if you don't ask; so I'll keep asking questions, even if some people continue to belittle me for my lack of omniscience.

Thanks again.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 12:15:39 AM »

My status is not exactly Orthodox... let's call is complex... but my position now is essentially the same as when I was/am/will be Orthodox... and I do have an affinity for Anglicans. Of course  "Anglican" is not a thing in itself, apart from the actual people that constitute the group. Thus I like some Anglicans more than others. I like some theology more than others. I like some practices more than others. And so forth. It's hard to speak of an entire group as though it's all in lock step, especially one that has tens of millions, and especially when such diversity is allowed within the group. Maybe this diversity plays into one reason I like "Anglicans" though: because I can pick and choose which ones I am talking about when I say I like them. And maybe that's why some people can dismiss them so easily: because they can pick and choose to speak mainly of the ones who do things and say things and believe things they are vehemently against. When I think Anglican I think of people like Ebor. I like Ebor, not just as an intelligent person, but as a religious person. Other people maybe think of Bp. Spong when they think of Anglican.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 12:19:23 AM »

here in america episcopalians are , essentially, a upper middle class phenomenon an so is orthodoxy. if you check those income statistics parsed up by religious affiliation, published not too long ago. you see the affinity .
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:25:16 AM by augustin717 » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 12:41:50 AM »

That was signed under your beloved monarchy. At least get your facts straight. Prob because the king had Anglican relatives .
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:42:26 AM by augustin717 » Logged
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 12:46:52 AM »

That was signed under your beloved monarchy. At least get your facts straight. Prob because the king had Anglican relatives .

Did so. But the Communists were not opposed to ecumenical pursuits with the CoE. Quite the contrary. Ceausescu himself later paid a state visit to HM Queen Elizabeth.   
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:47:02 AM by Romaios » Logged
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 12:48:47 AM »

I have a question:

Of all the Protestant denominations, why does the Orthodox Church seem to have more affinity for Anglicans than all others? The Anglican church seems to have deviated further from Orthodox values than any other mainstream denomination. They even elect homosexual "bishops." So, I am confused as to why we Orthodox seem to profess more kinship with Anglicans than other Protestant denominations - especially since the Anglican church was essentially founded upon the sin of divorce. All I can surmise is that the Anglicans are at least sacramental, but the Lutherans are too. And I personally have more respect for those that deny the sacraments than for those who profess to validate the sacraments while teaching demonic heresies. Can you guys help me understand? Forgive my ignorance.

Selam

Its been a while since then.  But read the older BCP (keeping in mind at that time similar dogmatic and moral inclinations). 
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 12:49:49 AM »

So what? Apart from an apparent fixation you have for communism?
Father H
Archon

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 12:50:44 AM »

right
Father H
Archon

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 12:51:49 AM »

Theory 1: Hangups from the World Wars. Anglicans were allies, Lutherans were the enemy. (That didn't help the RC either, in my neck of the woods.)

Theory 2: It's the Anglicans who feel affinity with the Orthodox. After all, John Mason Neale co-founded the Anglican and Eastern Churches Association as early as 1864.

Right, but Lutherans never saw 7 sacraments, some Anglicans did. 
Father H
Archon

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 12:53:56 AM »

Good point.  It is the reality.  But North America ceased to have such relations with Anglicans "above others" long ago.
Father H
Archon

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 12:55:23 AM »

True, but many of these seem to have been Episcopalian, then Orthodox, then back to Episcopalian.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 12:59:00 AM »

I have nothing but contempt for Communism, as befits any Romanian and Eastern European.

The point was that at least Romanian Communists were not disdainful of Anglicanism because of its association with the British monarchy or the upper classes. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:23:07 AM by Romaios » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2013, 01:24:26 AM »

Well 70 pc of Romanians do not share Yo
Your contempt. They must know something you have no access to.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 01:34:17 AM »

While many people around here like to jump on the bash-the-'piskies bandwagon as soon as Anglicanism is mentioned like they get to skip a Toll House for insulting Episcopal clergy (seriously, start a thread about Episcopalians and see how long it takes for someone to say "priestess"), some folks look back at their time in the Episcopal church as a flawed but ultimately fruitful time that helped them come to Orthodoxy. So there's going to be some affinity for the system that, in its own way, helped them come to the truth.

Hey! I represent both those remarks!

I value my time in the Episcopal Church for what it taught me about Orthodoxy. But I will drop the feminine English suffix on "priest" at the drop of the hat- more for linguistic purity than caring whether or not it get's someone's panties in a bunch (I will also add the suffix to actors, stewards, and waiters of the female persuasion with no pang of conscience whatsoever- there's nothing 'piskie bashing about that). One can both have an affinity and see the problems inherent in with the old system, such as the many American immigrants who have changed their citizenship, are proud of their heritage, yet also quick to point out the problems in their former governments.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 10:28:57 AM »

...Especially since the Anglican church was essentially founded upon the sin of divorce....
Actually, King Henry VIII tried to get his marriage annulled after finding out that his wife was actually his half-sister.

LOL. Sister-in-law, you mean. And he did not just suddenly find that out. He was well aware, as was all of the royal court, when he married her.

Your glasses are extremely rosy, buddy.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 10:43:50 AM »

Actually, King Henry VIII tried to get his marriage annulled after finding out that his wife was actually his half-sister.

LOL. Sister-in-law, you mean.
Yes I caught that just after my time ran out for the edit.

And he did not just suddenly find that out. He was well aware, as was all of the royal court, when he married her.

Please enlighten us with a source for this revelation.

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2013, 10:49:14 AM »

And he did not just suddenly find that out. He was well aware, as was all of the royal court, when he married her.

Why would he not know who his brother, the crown prince, had publicly married? Huh

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2013, 11:53:46 AM »

this ^^ sentence hit the nail on the head.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2013, 11:54:50 AM »

On a side note, as a Catholic I'd say that we moved much closer to Anglicans ... while they moved away from Anglicanism toward something completely different.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »

True enough. There's a list of orthoconvert rules out there somewhere (akin to the rules of the Internet) that says most Orthodox converts don't last five years.

Sad Wow, that's really sad (if it's true of course).

I was recently telling someone (a convert to Catholicism who said he regretted the decision) that I think there's an epidemic of rushed conversions to Catholicism. I wonder if it's the same with Orthodoxy.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2013, 12:12:28 PM »

I have a question:

Of all the Protestant denominations, why does the Orthodox Church seem to have more affinity for Anglicans than all others? The Anglican church seems to have deviated further from Orthodox values than any other mainstream denomination. They even elect homosexual "bishops." So, I am confused as to why we Orthodox seem to profess more kinship with Anglicans than other Protestant denominations - especially since the Anglican church was essentially founded upon the sin of divorce. All I can surmise is that the Anglicans are at least sacramental, but the Lutherans are too. And I personally have more respect for those that deny the sacraments than for those who profess to validate the sacraments while teaching demonic heresies.

Thanks to those of you who took the time to answer my question without condescension or ridicule.

On the bright side, at least it wasn't demonic ridicule.

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 12:18:11 PM »

Sad Wow, that's really sad (if it's true of course).

I was recently telling someone (a convert to Catholicism who said he regretted the decision) that I think there's an epidemic of rushed conversions to Catholicism. I wonder if it's the same with Orthodoxy.
I don't know if I can apply that statement to most converts, but I can certainly think of a half-dozen I know in my own life. Anecdotal evidence can be found all over the Internet.

I think there's an honest critique to be had about how Americans boutique -- to use that sometimes offensive term -- their religions, and I think popular lay apologists for both RC and EO exacerbate the problem by acting like they have flawless arguments that will erase all faith-doubt once someone is confirmed. But anyone who has ever been on an extended vacation knows that the longer one stays in the boutique, the less magical it is.

Even beyond that, I think there's a generational characteristic involved. Millennials (in this case I mean those who were teenagers in the 90s) like to impulsively get neck deep in something, find a reason to become disillusioned and then walk away. Since we've been trained to treat religion as a consumer exercise, if it isn't giving giving the expected pleasure one wants from buying in, you stop buying it.

PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 12:29:39 PM »

To whom is this directed?
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2013, 12:36:10 PM »

I think there's an honest critique to be had about how Americans boutique -- to use that sometimes offensive term -- their religions, and I think popular lay apologists for both RC and EO exacerbate the problem by acting like they have flawless arguments that will erase all faith-doubt once someone is confirmed. But anyone who has ever been on an extended vacation knows that the longer one stays in the boutique, the less magical it is.

Even beyond that, I think there's a generational characteristic involved. Millennials (in this case I mean those who were teenagers in the 90s) like to impulsively get neck deep in something, find a reason to become disillusioned and then walk away. Since we've been trained to treat religion as a consumer exercise, if it isn't giving giving the expected pleasure one wants from buying in, you stop buying it.

POM nominee! Excellent!

St. John Chrysostom
Michael David

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of the U.S.A.

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2013, 12:57:54 PM »

I don't know if I can apply that statement to most converts, but I can certainly think of a half-dozen I know in my own life. Anecdotal evidence can be found all over the Internet.

Great post!

One of those millennials here. Tongue (I hate that term too and what it implies and am thankful to not behave as other millennials do.) And a recent convert too!

You are touching on certain points that I think are correct, from my own experience. I come from a Protestant background, and it was basically nothing to go between churches based on how "well" the pastor did, if their friends were there, etc. This was all ages, but I was seeing it more in those my age or younger. However, and this was interesting to me, many churches were yielding to it to "keep the numbers up." They would introduce things such as "modern worship" services with rock bands, have yoga classes, outsource coffee stands for the entrance, have day care (not Sunday school), etc. Very much a "consumer" focus and what the church can do for "me" and work for me.

I longed for and prayed so hard to find truth, and that path took me through an Episcopal church and a Catholic church, but I had many qualms too with them and eventually arrived at an Orthodox Church. Small congregation, but the most faithful I had been around. Yes, I was "shopping around," but more than that, I wanted to find something "right." I wanted my church to give me the tools to make me work on myself and change me, and I think that attitude is different than other millenials who want things done their way. I also wanted to be somewhere where I felt I was doing something for God, or at the very least participating in worship with His presence there. So, I think part of it is attitude and I pray that many adopt the right attitude. But, there are those earnestly looking out there for real Tradition, and we can't eliminate how important that is.

As it relates back to the topic, what made me visit an Episcopal church was that the traditions seemed older, the sacraments meant something, and it felt more traditional than having a rock band play at you. The Catholic church I then visited was actually far less traditional and a lot more like a Methodist service. I then went to another and it was about the same. I never went to a Lutheran church to know anything about that. I just found it interesting that the Episcopal service was more "high" than either of the two Catholic services I went to. I did a lot of reading too, and came across some great authors on both sides (N.T. Wright, Henri Nouwen), but based on the actual experiences I had compared to what I read (and even read online, not just books), I never felt that it really matched the reality. But, it is part of my journey getting to where I am now, and I am at least thankful for having seen what it is like!
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »

Up until the mid to late 1900s there were points of contact between Eastern Orthodox and Anglicans, with some Orthodox bishops even allowing Orthodox laity to commune in Anglican churches if there were no Eastern Orthodox parishes nearby. However this began to unravel with tEC introducing the innovation of WO. 

When ACNA formed, Metropolitan Jonah addressed them and basically said that the issues of WO and 'Calvinism' needed to be dealt with before any fruitful ecumenical dialog could proceed.  (And if I remember correctly, didn't one of the Russian Orthodox heirarchs have some strong words for Canturbury recently?)

At any rate, for those who have the time, Arthur Middleton has a good book called FATHERS AND ANGLICANS which demonstrates the proximity between the thought of many of the Anglican Divines (such as Lancelot Andrewes) and Orthodoxy, particularly among those theologians/churchmen who stressed the importance of the consensus of the early Church. 

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 05:26:01 PM »

(And if I remember correctly, didn't one of the Russian Orthodox heirarchs have some strong words for Canturbury recently?)

Yes, it was over women bisops. If they do ordain them, Russia was threatening all thoughts of future unity to be done for.
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2013, 05:26:39 PM »

Not to you. Peace
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2013, 05:32:02 PM »

Up until the mid to late 1900s there were points of contact between Eastern Orthodox and Anglicans, with some Orthodox bishops even allowing Orthodox laity to commune in Anglican churches if there were no Eastern Orthodox parishes nearby. However this began to unravel with tEC introducing the innovation of WO.  

I've heard it told that way; but I've also heard it differently -- namely, that it stopped even before WO.

PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2013, 06:00:23 PM »

Not to you. Peace
I knew it wasn't directed at me. Wink The context just didn't make clear whom you were talking to, though it seems a bit clearer now. Quoting other people does go a long way toward identifying the parties in a conversation. Wink
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2013, 06:40:13 PM »

especially since the Anglican church was essentially founded upon the sin of divorce.

Gebre, I am sorry to correct this error, but it was not.  There has been more than one thread on OC.net as well as good histories of Tudor England and other sources that explain the situation.  I will go find a particular thread from a couple of years ago that covered this.

It was a matter of annulment. This was something that had been done for many other royal and noble families and the crux of the matter was having a male heir.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2013, 06:53:11 PM »

Here is a link to a thread from 2007 in which the real history of Henry Tudor, his older brother Arthur (who would have been king but died young, a common occurrence then) who was married to Catherine of Aragon and the general situation: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13426.0.html

If you have any questions I will be willing to try and answer them.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2013, 07:00:06 PM »

Thank you for this, Agabus. 

And as to people using the word "priestess" since many occupations are not delineated by sex (doctoress? No) and the term is not used by those who are ordained that I have ever encountered and there can be negative connotations to the term, it might indeed be construed to be an insult under a pretext.   

Your comment on the Toll House gave me a chuckle.  Thank you. Smiley

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2013, 07:04:41 PM »

My status is not exactly Orthodox... let's call is complex... but my position now is essentially the same as when I was/am/will be Orthodox... and I do have an affinity for Anglicans. Of course  "Anglican" is not a thing in itself, apart from the actual people that constitute the group. Thus I like some Anglicans more than others. I like some theology more than others. I like some practices more than others. And so forth. It's hard to speak of an entire group as though it's all in lock step, especially one that has tens of millions, and especially when such diversity is allowed within the group. Maybe this diversity plays into one reason I like "Anglicans" though: because I can pick and choose which ones I am talking about when I say I like them. And maybe that's why some people can dismiss them so easily: because they can pick and choose to speak mainly of the ones who do things and say things and believe things they are vehemently against. When I think Anglican I think of people like Ebor. I like Ebor, not just as an intelligent person, but as a religious person. Other people maybe think of Bp. Spong when they think of Anglican.

Gosh.. Shuffle shuffle 

Thank you. That was nice to read.   Smiley 

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2013, 08:02:27 PM »

Ebor's glasses are rose-tinted, too.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2013, 08:18:29 PM »

especially since the Anglican church was essentially founded upon the sin of divorce.

Gebre, I am sorry to correct this error, but it was not. 

Well, I guess if they're going to say that the Roman Catholic Church was founded in 1054, it kinda makes sense for them to also make the above statement.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2013, 08:44:09 PM »

In what way, please?  Would you please explain what you may perceive as historical errors related to the general situation of England, the succession and the Bishop of Rome in the Tudor era?  Or is there some other area in which you think that my "eyesight" is impaired?  I have not addressed anything in the way of "affinity" that I can see.

Thank you in advance.

Ebor

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2013, 10:06:47 PM »

In what way, please?  Would you please explain what you may perceive as historical errors related to the general situation of England, the succession and the Bishop of Rome in the Tudor era?  Or is there some other area in which you think that my "eyesight" is impaired?  I have not addressed anything in the way of "affinity" that I can see.

Thank you in advance.

Ebor

Your explanation isn't incorrect but it doesn't really address the moral bankruptness of the whole affair.

PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2013, 10:36:40 PM »

Thank you in advance.

Ebor

Your explanation isn't incorrect but it doesn't really address the moral bankruptness of the whole affair.
Such as...
KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2013, 10:37:05 PM »

I have a question:

Selam

I was going to respond to this last night, but I thought that anything that I had to say had already been said.

But that's never stopped me before, nor will it in this case. My own personal reason for having been an ardent Anglicanophile (until recently) was that I saw High Church (and conservative) Anglicanism as sort of the closest denomination of Western Christianity closest to us, and a close friend of mine and a visit or two to Washington D.C.'s Saint Paul on K Street really hit that notion of mine home. It seemed like a match made in Heaven, it did; they don't have the idea of One Bishop to Rule Them All, they retained the old Sarum Rite, they believe that the consecrated host was truly the Body and Blood of Christ without trying to prove it logically and stating that is a Sacred Mystery like we say, what wasn't there to love (It didn't help that at the time, I loved reading about the English Civil War and my Britanophilia grew stronger as I tried to get in-touch with my Northern Irish roots because I resented being simply known as "the Greek" and nothing more)? Plus, the book written about the Cathedral of Holy Wisdom in London that the dean of the Cathedral gave me really showed me that traditionally, Anglicanism was Orthodoxy's strongest ally. It wasn't the Church of England sending in Jesuits to convert our folk to Catholicism by coercion or force, nor was it the Church of England that sent in embassadors to try to gain the ear of His All Holiness in order for him to change our theology so that it would be more pleasing in their Church's eyes like the Lutherans and Calvinists tried to do. Hey, they even let us open a church in London and gave us our own college at Oxford (called rather imaginatively, "the Greek College of Oxford"). I also read in a book I found on Google that Protestants zealously tried to convert Greek immigrants without a church in the area to their own sect, whereas the Anglicans of these United States actually played it rather cool and tried no such thing. The Anglican Church truly seemed to be made up of nice people, friendly people.

But then of course, well Anglo-Catholics don't make up the entire Anglican Communion, and Latitudinarianism gave us all the variations of Anglicanism that we see today. The bishops decreed that the faithful without churches in the Great Plains could no longer attend Episcopalian churches as substitutes, and the love between our Churches became unrequited.

Also, I do not think that we can simply chalk up the birth of the Church of England to a divorce. The divorce was simply the casus belli for the King of England to assert his dominance over the Church in England, much like the King of France had done with the phenomenon known as Gallicanism. When the Pope of Rome was afraid to grant him a divorce from Catherine of Aragon because the backlash from Iberia might be too much for the Church (and possibly Western Europe as a whole) to handle, well Henry formed the Church of England as a response. England's journey into Protestantism wasn't a convenient excuse for Henry, as there had been Reformers in England and Scotland alike (I know that there's a site at the University of Saint Andrews where a Reformer was burned at the stake before the foundation of the Church of England, and the Lollards were considered proto-Protestants), so again, Protestantism in England doesn't owe its creation to the divorce between King Henry VIII Tudor and Catherine d'Aragon. Simple nitpick, though, religion always seems to be a complicated issue, and if you can sum up an event and all that means in a sentence, I personally believe that it might not all be true.

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2013, 10:37:49 PM »

Well, I guess if they're going to say that the Roman Catholic Church was founded in 1054, it kinda makes sense for them to also make the above statement.

They? Who are they? Gebre speaks only for himself.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2013, 12:31:25 AM »

Probably because for a period of time, union between Orthodoxy and Anglicanism was really close and on the verge of happening, but then the liberalization occurred and ruined it. I suppose the affinity for Anglicans is probably rooted in the lost hope that maybe the closeness we once had will return.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2013, 12:35:38 AM »

I have more of an affinity for atheism and irreligion than I think I do any other group. Mostly due to the fact that I used to feel the same way they did for quite a while. Maybe it's the same with the Orthodox and Anglicans. I know many of the Orthodox converts here went through some Anglican/Episcopal Liberaldox Larry stage. I guess it's not too surprising that many of them would feel close to the Anglican Church.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2013, 08:43:41 AM »

Nonsense, the RC Church did not start in 1054. I quote the esteemed and much learned scholar, Jack Chick.

The Roman Catholic church has had only one aim from its earliest, pagan and political origins: To destroy the true Christians, and to destroy their Bible. That is why they substituted the corrupt Alexandrian perversions of scripture, instead of using the preserved, prophetic and apostolic Words of God as found in Antioch of Syria, where "the disciples were first called Christians" (Acts 11:26). That is why they also added the Alexandrian writings we now call "Apocrypha" to their perverted bibles. That is why they used their Jesuits to infiltrate the Protestant Seminaries, Colleges and Bible Schools. Their Jesuits became the "teachers" and planted seeds of doubt in the Christians' minds. These doubt-ridden Christians then taught at other colleges and schools. All the while they planted that same seed of doubt of God's word in their students.

Now we know the TRUTH about the Roman Catholic Church.   Grin

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2013, 10:38:15 AM »

Nonsense, the RC Church did not start in 1054. I quote the esteemed and much learned scholar, Jack Chick.

The Roman Catholic church has had only one aim from its earliest, pagan and political origins: To destroy the true Christians, and to destroy their Bible. That is why they substituted the corrupt Alexandrian perversions of scripture, instead of using the preserved, prophetic and apostolic Words of God as found in Antioch of Syria, where "the disciples were first called Christians" (Acts 11:26). That is why they also added the Alexandrian writings we now call "Apocrypha" to their perverted bibles. That is why they used their Jesuits to infiltrate the Protestant Seminaries, Colleges and Bible Schools. Their Jesuits became the "teachers" and planted seeds of doubt in the Christians' minds. These doubt-ridden Christians then taught at other colleges and schools. All the while they planted that same seed of doubt of God's word in their students.

Now we know the TRUTH about the Roman Catholic Church.   Grin
Are you quoting me or Peter J?
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2013, 11:00:51 AM »

Peter J, sorry.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2013, 11:40:26 AM »

Touche.

They Some Orthodox say that the Roman Catholic Church was founded in 1054.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2013, 11:43:16 AM »

Now we know the TRUTH about the Roman Catholic Church. 

Hold on a sec, I just need to make a quick phone call ...

Okay, what were you saying about the Jesuits?

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2013, 11:49:37 AM »

Why do you think the emminent scholar, Jack Chick, is in hiding?  It is because of the illuminati Jesuit plot to stifle the truth about the Whore of Babylon.  Grin

I especially like the part about jesuits sneaking into Bible Schools to subvert them.  Brilliant!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:50:49 AM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »

Why do you think the emminent scholar, Jack Chick, is in hiding?  It is because of the illuminati Jesuit plot to stifle the truth about the Whore of Babylon.  Grin

I especially like the part about jesuits sneaking into Bible Schools to subvert them.  Brilliant!
What if Jack Chick is a Jesuit agent provocateur?

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2013, 01:46:15 PM »

The plot thickens!  dun-dun-dun  laugh

PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2013, 06:17:04 PM »

The plot thickens!  dun-dun-dun  laugh
If you wish to pursue this theory any farther, please do so by starting another thread. Thanks.
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2013, 02:48:32 AM »

I think we can get along and actually discuss things with conservative anglicans just fine. Out of all protestantism conservative anglicans and Lutherans probably represent the best among them. But liberal anglicanism has stifled any such a thing and has effectively tainted these churches. Perhaps one day there will be a movment of conservative anglicans away from the ever increasing liberality in the anglican church but there seems to be no effort or attempt by conservative anglicans that I can see, in this regard.

Thank you.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2013, 02:58:32 AM »

Probably because for a period of time, union between Orthodoxy and Anglicanism was really close and on the verge of happening, but then the liberalization occurred and ruined it. I suppose the affinity for Anglicans is probably rooted in the lost hope that maybe the closeness we once had will return.

I'd like to see any actual evidence that it was close to happening.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2013, 03:00:28 AM »

I think we can get along and actually discuss things with conservative anglicans just fine. Out of all protestantism conservative anglicans and Lutherans probably represent the best among them. But liberal anglicanism has stifled any such a thing and has effectively tainted these churches. Perhaps one day there will be a movment of conservative anglicans away from the ever increasing liberality in the anglican church but there seems to be no effort or attempt by conservative anglicans that I can see, in this regard.

See the ACNA and GAFCON.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2013, 03:06:53 AM »

See the ACNA and GAFCON.

They being?

Thank you.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2013, 08:10:44 AM »

It never was. Sure, Anglicans and Orthodox had very good relations before WO in the 1970s; but to say that "union between Orthodoxy and Anglicanism was really close and on the verge of happening"? I'd call that classic reductivist thinking.

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2013, 10:31:30 AM »

See the ACNA and GAFCON.

They being?
The ACNA is the conservative break-away from the Episcopalian Church here in America. GAFCON is the international conservative Anglican effort to place some distance between the more conservative churches in the communion and the liberal elements of the West and work around Canterbury's waffling.

Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2013, 11:56:35 AM »

See the ACNA and GAFCON.

They being?
The ACNA is the conservative break-away from the Episcopalian Church here in America. GAFCON is the international conservative Anglican effort to place some distance between the more conservative churches in the communion and the liberal elements of the West and work around Canterbury's waffling.

Yep...^^THIS^^

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2013, 12:25:04 PM »

See the ACNA and GAFCON.

They being?
They're half-way home to Orthodoxy  Cheesy

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2013, 12:44:15 PM »

See the ACNA and GAFCON.

They being?

More like staying the course of the via media. For the ACNA it's pretty much a reset to 1979 Episcopalianism- some jurisdictions (for lack of a better word) ordain women, Low Church and Evangelical theology is running strong, and the actual authority structure is that nebulous Anglican fudge that has reigned in the Communion since the Chicago-Lambeth Quadrilateral. 

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2013, 07:04:19 PM »

Thank you in advance.

Ebor

It wasn't intended to do so. It was to give information about the historic situation.  From there one may expand to other issues.  But when giving information about real people in history I do my best to stick to the facts first.

Aaron M

Jurisdiction: nothing

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2013, 09:57:05 PM »

See the ACNA and GAFCON.

They being?

More like staying the course of the via media. For the ACNA it's pretty much a reset to 1979 Episcopalianism- some jurisdictions (for lack of a better word) ordain women, Low Church and Evangelical theology is running strong, and the actual authority structure is that nebulous Anglican fudge that has reigned in the Communion since the Chicago-Lambeth Quadrilateral. 

That I would guess, as a rule the Low Church/Evangelical-dominant ACNA would not venerate Mary or the saints, either.  Shouldn't that be a biggie for dialog with the Orthodox?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2013, 10:58:49 PM »

It never was. Sure, Anglicans and Orthodox had very good relations before WO in the 1970s; but to say that "union between Orthodoxy and Anglicanism was really close and on the verge of happening"? I'd call that classic reductivist thinking.

There was a personal friendship between St. Tikhon and Bishop Grafton, but when Fr. Nathaniel Ingram Irvine was received in the Orthodox Church with ordination (and presumably baptism and chrismation--but the hangup was on not recognizing Anglican orders), the friendship frayed. The dialogue, such as it was, was polite niceties. In the broader context, Pope Leo XIII had recently ruled against Anglican orders and they were looking for recognition. Relations were further frayed when St. Raphael found out that some Episcopalians were spreading the lie that Orthodox had their bishop's okay to commune in their churches.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2013, 04:44:02 AM »

Relations were further frayed when St. Raphael found out that some Episcopalians were spreading the lie that Orthodox had their bishop's okay to commune in their churches.

AFAIK even St. Raphael had thought so before he realised Anglicans do not treat their agreement fair.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2013, 05:57:38 AM »

Relations were further frayed when St. Raphael found out that some Episcopalians were spreading the lie that Orthodox had their bishop's okay to commune in their churches.

That was a lie?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2013, 10:23:10 AM »

That was a lie?

Sorta kinda maybe.  See here for part of the story...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:23:28 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2013, 11:27:39 AM »

This gets back a little closer to the original question.

I'm still working my way through the television production from 1953 that documents Queen Elizabeth II's coronation. I have reached the point where the service itself is over, and the procession is about to leave Westminster Abbey.

I was struck with the solemnity and dignity of the entire service. It is certainly Anglicanism at its finest. There was much in it that I as an Orthodox Christian could easily relate to. For example, at Communion the prayers we call the Epiclesis were neither heard nor seen by those outside the Abbey, nor was there any broadcast of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh receiving Communion. The intimacy of that moment as a spiritual act was kept that way. ("The doors! The doors!")

We should also note the fact that our Western Rite is able to use the Book of Common Prayer almost untouched indicating that the Anglicans at least at one time must have been doing something right.

Alas, those days are gone.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2013, 10:34:01 PM »

When I was Anglo-Catholic for 4 years I was still reading Eastern Orthodox books and eastern church fathers. And I wasn't the only one. There was a certain level of respect and awe that some Anglo-catholics had of Rome and Eastern Orthodoxy.

But yeah, I was into William Law and the non-Juror bishops and they had contact with the christian east for a time. reading that inter-action was fascinating.

Also, the rise of the Oxford movement helped form a bridge as well. For the Oxford movement is what started Anglo-catholicism and they were heavily depended on eastern church fathers. And so I see it as natural for the two groups to talk to each other.

But at the end of the day I think it's just nostalgia of what could be for English speakers. We love shake-spear, the king james Bible....... being raised in an English culture, we just love a number of things English, and Anglicanism was the official and cultural quote on quote English church.

And so grabbing them into the fold is like grabbing the English people and it's culture into the fold.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »

What that one person said on this thread in regards to some converts who pass through Anglicanism to become Orthodox is true for me as well.

I was raised Baptist, with some Pentecostal and Charismatic influences. From there I joined an Anglo-Catholic parish within the Episcopal church (back then TEC,). I stayed there for 4 years before moving on to Orthodoxy.

But one thing you will notice is that I will not say anything negative about my Anglo-Catholic experience. It really helped me in many ways. I am grateful for it.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2013, 03:17:32 PM »

Jnorm,

Your experience is somewhat similar to mine, except I started off Southern Baptist, spent some time as an Eastern Orthodox catechumen, then wound up an Anglican Catholic. However, I still have high regard for the Eastern Orthodox church I encountered on my journey.  Smiley

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2013, 03:13:15 AM »

This forum needs a thanks button!

Jnorm,

Your experience is somewhat similar to mine, except I started off Southern Baptist, spent some time as an Eastern Orthodox catechumen, then wound up an Anglican Catholic. However, I still have high regard for the Eastern Orthodox church I encountered on my journey.  Smiley

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2013, 07:19:45 AM »

That was a lie?

Sorta kinda maybe.  See here for part of the story...

I finally got around to that letter. That's more the way I understood it, i.e. that permission was in fact given for certain circumstances, but that was embellished by some Episcopalians, e.g.

c) Episcopal clergy said that there was no need of the Orthodox people seeking the ministrations of their own Orthodox priests, for their (the Anglican) ministrations were all that were necessary.

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »

At any rate, for those who have the time, Arthur Middleton has a good book called FATHERS AND ANGLICANS which demonstrates the proximity between the thought of many of the Anglican Divines (such as Lancelot Andrewes) and Orthodoxy, particularly among those theologians/churchmen who stressed the importance of the consensus of the early Church.  

IIRC, an answer has been written to this in which the author finds Anglican divines who run contra to the same passages from the Fathers...The point being that Anglicanism is the big tent religion, and while Orthodox thought is an acceptable option within the communion, not all acceptable opinion is Orthodox.

EDIT: My bad -- the book I was thinking of was in response to another, much older work, A Harmony of Anglican Doctrine with the Doctrine of the Catholic and Apostolic Church of the East.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:39:34 PM by Agabus » Logged

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2013, 05:44:16 AM »

Ecumenical PAtriarch Meletius had the Holy Synod accept Anglican orders as valid. As far as I know, this decision is still "valid" too.

also, as Metropolitan in exile, he co-celebrated with anglicans.

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2013, 07:45:55 AM »

Really?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2013, 02:56:36 PM »

Really?

oops sorry, he was deposed 12 days after that

but the Greek Ambassador to the US said

"[Meletius] vested, took part in an Anglican service, knelt in prayer with Anglicans, venerated their holy table, gave a sermon, and blessed those present"

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2013, 03:06:39 PM »

Really?

"[Meletius] vested, took part in an Anglican service, knelt in prayer with Anglicans, venerated their holy table, gave a sermon, and blessed those present"

Still nothing about concelebration.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2013, 04:20:08 PM »

How would you define concelebration? 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2013, 05:17:31 PM »

Really?

Right ... unless perhaps there's such a thing as "concelebrating vespers".

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2013, 07:03:37 PM »

How would you define concelebration? 

Sharing the chalice. Pretty much.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2013, 08:22:10 PM »

Sharing the chalice. Pretty much.

You mean like common ownership and use of the chalice on some sort of rotating schedule?  Tongue

I think limiting concelebration to communing is a rather narrow and inaccurate definition, and convenient too.  There's a whole lot of liturgical celebration that liturgical ministers do before you get to the Communion, and you need not "concelebrate" to receive Communion.  But if Communion is where the line is drawn, then almost anything can be justified as long as you don't cross that line.  Your particular definition is not Orthodox by any recognised Orthodox standard. 

In the case Gunnarr brought up, the Greek ambassador claims the bishop vested.  If this is simply a matter of showing up in a mantia and carrying a staff, then I'd lean toward not considering this an example of concelebration.  "Taking part" in an Anglican service can mean a number of things, as can "praying with Anglicans".  Preaching and blessing is not wrong by any reasonable standard. 

On the other hand, a Greek ambassador presumably knows the difference between ecclesiastical "street wear" and liturgical vestments.  Were these vestments?  And what was the intent behind venerating the altar?  I don't know if you can absolutely rule out concelebration in this case, there's not enough information, even though I think it probably wasn't concelebration. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2013, 02:11:43 PM »

As it relates back to the topic, what made me visit an Episcopal church was that the traditions seemed older, the sacraments meant something, and it felt more traditional than having a rock band play at you. The Catholic church I then visited was actually far less traditional and a lot more like a Methodist service. I then went to another and it was about the same. ... I just found it interesting that the Episcopal service was more "high" than either of the two Catholic services I went to.

Yep. Ironic.

One theory behind that fact in American Catholicism is from the musicologist Thomas Day. He says that even before Vatican II, American Catholics weren't really high-church because when they were persecuted back in Ireland they couldn't have showy religion.

Episcopalianism is semi-congregational so maybe until recently it was possible to have Episcopal parishes that were more conservative and more 'Catholic' than Catholic ones. Got the benefit of that as a kid.

Keble
Archon

« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2013, 09:11:19 PM »

Semi-Presbyterian.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2013, 09:31:53 PM »

I have a question:

Selam

Lutherans only accept Baptism, Absolution, and Communion as Sacraments by and large. I don't believe any Protestants except the Anglicans (and not all of them) accept all seven Sacraments of the Catholic Church, which are basically the same Sacraments as in the Orthodox Church (we can fight it out about the anointing of kings, but for the most part, it's those seven).

Also, the turn by Anglicanism away from anything that can be called traditional Christianity is a relatively recent move. They were among the most conservative of churches until the 1970s.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2013, 01:06:00 AM »

To sum up, the affinity was because the Anglicans claimed apostolic succession too, and because of that, and both not being under Rome, some Anglicans had an affinity for the Orthodox and reached out to them. (Looking for a pre-'Reformation' church to grant them legitimacy, since Mother Rome would do no such thing.) There was intercommunion in practice in some places (the Greeks and the Episcopalians). But some Orthodox such as Raphael of Brooklyn 100 years ago got wise that the Anglo-Catholics didn't speak for Anglicanism.

Also, the turn by Anglicanism away from anything that can be called traditional Christianity is a relatively recent move. They were among the most conservative of churches until the 1970s.

I dunno. Maybe on paper, but unbelief has been pretty common among them since the 'Enlightenment' (America's founding fathers: nominal Episcopalians who were agnostics). Until recently, conservative in the sense of the Conservative or the Republican Party at prayer. Theologically, not so much.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2013, 05:16:46 AM »

I can certainly agree with the first sentence. But like TYF, I don't know about the second ... seems to me that the old-time Anglicans were relatively liberal for their time period. Not that that was all bad, mind you ... certainly nothing wrong with being tolerant of RCs, Protestants, and Orthodox.

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2013, 08:39:49 AM »

Of course to both Catholics and Orthodox, the 'Reformation' was a turn away from traditional Christianity. That said, except for ecclesiology (Articles XIX and XXI), sacramentology, and ceremonial, classical Anglicans kept much of it: credal orthodoxy and the ancient Greek and medieval Catholic view of reason as conforming yourself to objective reality (which even the 'Enlightenment' didn't completely get rid of, so civilization still flourished), not doing whatever I want; anything that tries to stop me is just superstition (feminism and homosexualism for example).

And, again, to 19th-century Orthodox meeting the West, the break wasn't obvious since their first religious contact with Anglicans was from Anglo-Catholics approaching them, sincerely telling them what they wanted to hear.

The late Catholic columnist Joe Sobran wrote that he was thankful for having grown up in a Protestant country run by tolerant old-school liberal mainliners. Religious liberty and the free market, plus, actually, taking a break from immigration in the '20s in order for the country to catch its breath, created a great home for Catholics and Orthodox here by the '50s. (Halting immigration raised the opportunities and living standard for the Catholics and Orthodox already here.) A prosperity not possible back in Europe.

Besides the basics of the faith and the old Mass, the SSPX (the late, great Archbishop Lefebvre's group) and I have little in common, a reason why I can live in the official church as reformed by Pope Benedict. (But I acknowledge the good the SSPX does.) The European monarchists and fascists (not a dirty word, only a description) who run the SSPX are understandably suspicious of the American experiment's origin with heretics, as Rome was for many years. Yes, be careful, but economic and religious liberty are good.

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2013, 09:48:42 AM »

And high-Episcopal parishes such as St Paul's, K Street in DC aren't doing Sarum. Sarum was a flowery version of the same Roman Rite as the Tridentine Mass. The Book of Common Prayer, old and new, is a new creation, not a translation of Sarum. American Anglo-Catholics historically use the BCP but with ceremonial based on pre-Vatican II (Tridentine) Catholic practice, varying by place and now of course mixed with modern Catholic practice too. (Again, modern Episcopalians, unlike Catholic liberals, love our stuff.)

KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2013, 10:55:30 PM »

And high-Episcopal parishes such as St Paul's, K Street in DC aren't doing Sarum. Sarum was a flowery version of the same Roman Rite as the Tridentine Mass. The Book of Common Prayer, old and new, is a new creation, not a translation of Sarum. American Anglo-Catholics historically use the BCP but with ceremonial based on pre-Vatican II (Tridentine) Catholic practice, varying by place and now of course mixed with modern Catholic practice too. (Again, modern Episcopalians, unlike Catholic liberals, love our stuff.)

Have the priests at Saint Paul's on K Street ever performed the Sarum Rite? I've been there a few times, and during Christmastide, I could have sworn that my guide for the evening mentioned something about the Sarum Rite. At the very least, I know that the priests were wearing "Sarum blue" vestments, but I think there was more to that particular Divine Liturgy than just vestmental-colours.

May I ask, are you part of the Anglican Ordinariate? I've really wanted to visit an Anglican Ordinariate church; I believe the closest one to D.C. is in Silver Spring. In fact I vaguely remember it being near the ACROD church of the area, but I could be wrong.

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2013, 12:49:48 AM »

There have been both Anglican and Catholic re-enactments of Sarum; I don't know if K Street has ever done one. Sarum revivals were always more popular in England, among high-church liberal Anglicans there, than among Episcopalians. Sarum blue during Advent is fairly popular among Anglicans now.

I'm not in the American ordinariate but would like to see Mt. Calvary, Baltimore, now that it's Catholic: the pre-Vatican II ceremonial but in English that I like to see. I think the parish closest to DC is another ex-Episcopal one that kept its building, St Luke's, Bladensburg, MD.

The ordinariate's really for married ex-Anglican priests who want to be Catholic priests and for laity who miss the Prayer Book. I'm happy having the Tridentine Mass. (Here one group of converts from what was an extreme Anglo-Catholic parish, which did the Tridentine Mass in English, have done the same but are at a different parish from mine.)

I like the Prayer Book but I don't miss it so much that I need it every week.

The Prayer Book works with pre-Vatican II Catholic ceremonial - the American Anglo-Catholic style - in spite of Cranmer's Protestantism because Cranmer kept enough of the Catholic Church's general worldview for it to work.

Recognition of Anglican orders by some Orthodox patriarchates has always been with the understanding that IF the whole Anglican Communion gave up Protestantism and entered Orthodoxy, those patriarchates would receive them in their orders. Moot as it will never happen. So the Orthodox, including those patriarchates, treat Anglican orders just like the Catholic Church does: void. Such clergy are reordained.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2013, 07:22:14 AM »

^^ Quite frankly, I think throwing the n-word around ("never") with regard to reunion is as silly those who speak as though reunion will happen any time now.

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2013, 08:32:10 AM »

Likely scenario: the white liberal high churchmen die off so the Anglican Communion becomes an 'empire strikes back' conservative African denomination, no longer British or American. But thoroughly Protestant. Back to square one: the 'Reformation' revisited, trying to convince classical Protestants to come back to the church. Might there be an Oxford Movement, Part II among them, in which, remaining non-papal, they turn east, like the American convert boomlet among evangelicals 20 years ago? Or become Catholic like in the first one? Maybe. The whole denomination switching? Probably not.

Keble
Archon

« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2013, 09:09:59 AM »

Likely scenario: the white liberal high churchmen die off so the Anglican Communion becomes an 'empire strikes back' conservative African denomination, no longer British or American.

More likely: the GAFCON group gets sufficiently mad at Cantuar (with egging on from the American neocon schisms) split the communion. Of course it's very important to those who have left for the Anglican political liberals to whither away, but once the homosexuality fight is done with in the American church it is also possible that the theological liberals get chased out, since there will be no longer any need of them.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2013, 08:38:18 AM »

Likely scenario: the white liberal high churchmen die off so the Anglican Communion becomes an 'empire strikes back' conservative African denomination, no longer British or American.

More likely: the GAFCON group gets sufficiently mad at Cantuar (with egging on from the American neocon schisms) split the communion. Of course it's very important to those who have left for the Anglican political liberals to whither away, but once the homosexuality fight is done with in the American church it is also possible that the theological liberals get chased out, since there will be no longer any need of them.

I just saw you live in Maryland. And for all this time I thought you lived in England.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2013, 02:34:53 AM »

A lot of that seems to fit what I wrote. Sure, there might be a big split but again the white liberal high churchmen are dying out: the Episcopalians and the dominant faction of the Church of England. I can imagine Parliament disestablishing the C of E, after which, like the American 'neocons', the English Evangelicals will go under the Africans. You'll have an African denomination with a few British and American members, not a British or American one. Mainstream Western society, while still culturally Christian (political correctness is a Christian heresy on steroids), no longer needs liberal churches, which is why the mainline, including the liberal high Anglicans I mentioned, is disappearing.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2013, 07:00:44 PM »

This is the most pretentious thread of all time. Almost as annoying as the history club kids talking about what countries are gonna be superpowers next century.

Tags: Anglicanism 
Pages: 1 2 3 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: