OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 12:57:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Scripture and Holy Tradition  (Read 3791 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2013, 02:22:42 PM »

Perhaps not in Poland, but in the US most people I know will say they are (fill in the blank) Orthodox.  Heck, the Serbian priest in our area goes by the name "Fr. Serb" to people from other parishes.  laugh

No doubt that's because he's named after St Serbios the Antiphyletist.  You thought it was because he was Serbian.  LOL.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2013, 02:24:57 PM »

Perhaps not in Poland, but in the US most people I know will say they are (fill in the blank) Orthodox.  Heck, the Serbian priest in our area goes by the name "Fr. Serb" to people from other parishes.  laugh

No doubt that's because he's named after St Serbios the Antiphyletist.  You thought it was because he was Serbian.  LOL.
HAHAHA!  laugh

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »

Greetings!  My name is Josh, and I am an inquirer of the Greek Orthodox faith.  

Sorry to try and correct you Josh, bugs the heck out of me when people word it like that. Whether you are Greek, Russian, Serbian, Antiochian, Jerusalem ect it's all the same Orthodox Church. For example, you wouldn't say "I have a Greek Orthodox friend." you say, "I have a friend who is Orthodox and happens to be Greek."  We are all Orthodox, it's all the same, the traditions change a little bit. Leave ethnicity at home and don't bring it to the Church.

I dunno, this looks pretty Greek to me...

Sounds like a separation of the Church to me. We have Orthodox who are Greek, speak Greek, practice Greek tradition and live in Greece, but they are still Orthodox. Ask a Russian, American, African, Chinese, Serbian, etc if they are "Greek Orthodox" and they'll say no, I'm Orthodox.
If you ask a Russian, he will tell you he is Russian Orthodox.  If you ask a Serb, he will tell you he is Serbian Orthodox, If you ask a Greek, he will tell you he is Greek Orthodox.  If you ask any of the others, he will tell you whatever Patriarchate he is under.  I am Antiochian Orthodox, that doesn't mean I'm Antiochian by ethnicity, but it does identify the succession that i am with.

To me it is clear that this is not a reflection of apostolic succession, but rather the underlying nation-state nation-state to which the jurisdiction traces back its history. Antioch is an exception, as nation state borders there were subject to much change over the centuries so I suspect, its  flock self identified as being "of Antioch".

Interestingly, the two North American jurisdictions founded by Rusyn immigrants to the USA are the OCA and ACROD. The Rusyns are a nationality without a home country, coming from what are now parts of Slovakia, Ukraine, Poland, Hunary, Serbia and Romania. http://www.slovakia.org/society-rusyn.htm

If you were to ask a typical parishioner of either, what religion they are, the most likely response today  is "Orthodox Christian."
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2013, 03:01:48 PM »

To me it is clear that this is not a reflection of apostolic succession, but rather the underlying nation-state nation-state to which the jurisdiction traces back its history. Antioch is an exception, as nation state borders there were subject to much change over the centuries so I suspect, its  flock self identified as being "of Antioch".

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I actually think the American use of the term "Antiochian" has less to do with national borders changing frequently over centuries and more to do with the history of how the Chalcedonian "Rum Orthodox" and the non-Chalcedonian "Syrian Orthodox" both claimed the name "Syrian Orthodox" for themselves in English.  This went all the way to Court here in the States, and the non-Chalcedonians prevailed over the Chalcedonians, who then adopted the style "Antiochian Orthodox".  Our side kept "Syrian Orthodox" until two (?) censuses ago, when the bishops changed the name to Syriac rather than Syrian so that the people would record themselves this way in the US Census in order to properly allocate foreign aid (to the Suryani people rather than the government of the nation of Syria). 

Some older Antiochian parishes are still called Syrian Orthodox, IIRC, and the youth organisation is still SOYO, where SO is Syrian Orthodox.  AOYO just doesn't sound right, so we won't sue.  Tongue 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I actually think the American use of the term "Antiochian" has less to do with national borders changing frequently over centuries and more to do with the history of how the Chalcedonian "Rum Orthodox" and the non-Chalcedonian "Syrian Orthodox" both claimed the name "Syrian Orthodox" for themselves in English.  This went all the way to Court here in the States, and the non-Chalcedonians prevailed over the Chalcedonians, who then adopted the style "Antiochian Orthodox".  Our side kept "Syrian Orthodox" until two (?) censuses ago, when the bishops changed the name to Syriac rather than Syrian so that the people would record themselves this way in the US Census in order to properly allocate foreign aid (to the Suryani people rather than the government of the nation of Syria). 

Some older Antiochian parishes are still called Syrian Orthodox, IIRC, and the youth organisation is still SOYO, where SO is Syrian Orthodox.  AOYO just doesn't sound right, so we won't sue.  Tongue 

Sounds right.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »

Forums are not always the best places to get the correct explanation on this topic.  My answer to this is to seek out an Orthodox Priest and have  him explain it.......  
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »

Forums are not always the best places to get the correct explanation on this topic.  My answer to this is to seek out an Orthodox Priest and have  him explain it.......  

Actually this is exactly the kind of question that should be asked on a message board and not some random priest. I would go so far to say that it's probably one of the best examples of that.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2013, 03:21:38 PM »

Greetings!  My name is Josh, and I am an inquirer of the Greek Orthodox faith. 

Sorry to try and correct you Josh, bugs the heck out of me when people word it like that. Whether you are Greek, Russian, Serbian, Antiochian, Jerusalem ect it's all the same Orthodox Church. For example, you wouldn't say "I have a Greek Orthodox friend." you say, "I have a friend who is Orthodox and happens to be Greek."  We are all Orthodox, it's all the same, the traditions change a little bit. Leave ethnicity at home and don't bring it to the Church.

I dunno, this looks pretty Greek to me...

Sounds like a separation of the Church to me. We have Orthodox who are Greek, speak Greek, practice Greek tradition and live in Greece, but they are still Orthodox. Ask a Russian, American, African, Chinese, Serbian, etc if they are "Greek Orthodox" and they'll say no, I'm Orthodox.
If you ask a Russian, he will tell you he is Russian Orthodox.  If you ask a Serb, he will tell you he is Serbian Orthodox, If you ask a Greek, he will tell you he is Greek Orthodox.  If you ask any of the others, he will tell you whatever Patriarchate he is under.  I am Antiochian Orthodox, that doesn't mean I'm Antiochian by ethnicity, but it does identify the succession that i am with.

No, not.

In the 19th century, the Russian Church's mission to Alaska was not called the Russian Orthodox mission, in Russian, but simply the Orthodox mission. I'm not sure how often the ethnic epithet is used by Orthodox people in Russia or even Greece. It may be in the official name of the church, but that seems to be it until you get to a situation like in America where if you just say you're Orthodox, people think you're Jewish.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »

Which topic? Scripture and Holy Tradition or ethnic monikers for local Orthodox Churches?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2013, 03:23:12 PM »

For years if I had to describe/say a religious affiliation I said Antiochian Orthodox. "Orthodox" is too easily mistaken for Jewish, and "Orthodox Christian," beside being boring/easily boxed in, could be something said by all sorts of people. How many Protestant people say that they're orthodox? If you say Antiochian Orthodox people will, once in a while anyway, look at you funny and ask what the heck an Antiochian is.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 03:24:19 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2013, 03:32:01 PM »

I did not intend to cause a controversy, only to attempt to give a different perspective to Peacemaker regarding his rebuke of the Gyllynn and the usage of the term Greek Orthodox.  I certainly don't think it is wrong to call ones self Orthodox or Orthodox Christian, but I also think it is acceptable to self identify as Greek Orthodox as a means of explaining the jurisdiction you are attending.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2013, 03:36:34 PM »

I did not intend to cause a controversy, only to attempt to give a different perspective to Peacemaker regarding his rebuke of the Gyllynn and the usage of the term Greek Orthodox.  I certainly don't think it is wrong to call ones self Orthodox or Orthodox Christian, but I also think it is acceptable to self identify as Greek Orthodox as a means of explaining the jurisdiction you are attending.

So far as I understand, for hundreds of years that would have been the most understandable identifier in English-speaking countries, whether you were Greek, Russian, or whatever else, even into the mid-20th century.

Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2013, 04:45:27 PM »

This is where the saying, "Only in America" fits in nicely.

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2013, 04:48:44 PM »

Everywhere prior to XXth century when people started to invent themselves fancy names like "Russian Orthodox" or "Serbian Orthodox" or other "Name-of-my-village Orthodox".
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2013, 05:27:48 PM »

In Greece I have only heard people refer to themselves as Christian Orthodox.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2013, 05:29:38 PM »

In Greece I have only heard people refer to themselves as Christian Orthodox.

In Greece there are two types of people: Christians (ie. Greeks) and everyone else (e.g. Catholics, Protestants, etc.)  Wink

Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The San Franciscan Orthodox Church of New York, Big Apple and Fourth Rome

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2013, 07:07:24 PM »

For years if I had to describe/say a religious affiliation I said Antiochian Orthodox. "Orthodox" is too easily mistaken for Jewish, and "Orthodox Christian," beside being boring/easily boxed in, could be something said by all sorts of people. How many Protestant people say that they're orthodox? If you say Antiochian Orthodox people will, once in a while anyway, look at you funny and ask what the heck an Antiochian is.
I typically say "Orthodox Catholic" for that very reason. Not only is it most accurate, but it tells them that I am Christian, and also gives them some idea of what my Church is like (considering Catholicism is the closest thing to Orthodoxy a typical American could identify with).

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2013, 02:36:39 AM »

Everywhere prior to XXth century when people started to invent themselves fancy names like "Russian Orthodox" or "Serbian Orthodox" or other "Name-of-my-village Orthodox".

I was referring to the fact we don't have an American Orthodoxy yet and can't even call ourselves that even if we wanted to.

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2013, 07:07:04 AM »

I was referring to the fact we don't have an American Orthodoxy yet and can't even call ourselves that even if we wanted to.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: