OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 01:46:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building an Iconostasis  (Read 599 times) Average Rating: 5
liftsifter
St David the King

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

Weeping Icon of Our Lady of Cicero

« on: June 10, 2013, 01:30:21 AM »

I have a fairly open space in my basement in which I currently have a bit of storage. I'd like to build a small chapel. Now, the challenge comes mostly with building the Iconostasis, and I understand that Fr. Anastasios' Iconstasis, but would like to be a bit more intricate by adding Royal Doors and at least one full Deacon door. Let's say we have 12ft. across and 8 feet high to play with, any suggestions on materials?

Also, anyone know where I could purchase Icons (Byzantine Rite, of course) of the Virgin Mother with Christ, Christ, St. David the King and John The Baptist that would be of the same style (ie. same tone and colors).

Christ is Risen!

David

"And the King will say to them, ‘Verily I say to you, inasmuch as you have done it to the least of these my bretheren, you have done it to Me.’" Matthew 25
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:08:35 AM »

Pardon my confusion. Why a chapel?  Are you a priest? Is there no Orthodox parish nearby? Before you build such a chapel in your home you really should consult your pastor and discuss your plans and spiritual goals with him. Your efforts, zeal and interest (and the funds involved) might better be directed in a manner of more benefit to your spiritual life through your local community of Orthodox faithful. Is your local parish not in need of the type of skills needed for the building of a personal chapel or the funds to properly equip and outfit such a room?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:14:11 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:55:05 AM »

In Orthodox countries it is quite common for people with the space and resources to build small chapels in or next to their homes, to be used not only for the family's daily prayers, but also for things like baptisms, as well as liturgies on the feast day of the saint to whom it is dedicated. I see nothing wrong with that.

But you're right that if the local parish is in need of those skills and resources, one should see to that before investing them in something that will only be used occasionally.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 09:44:48 AM »

In Orthodox countries it is quite common for people with the space and resources to build small chapels in or next to their homes

But they do not contain iconostasis but are more like this:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:55:03 AM by Alpo » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:55:06 AM »

The iconostas at St. Sophia Seminary Chapel actually originated as someone's personal "home" chapel.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 10:18:29 AM »

But they do not contain iconostasis but are more like this:

Most I've seen that were large enough did have a proper templon.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 10:23:38 AM »

Pardon my confusion. Why a chapel?  Are you a priest? Is there no Orthodox parish nearby? Before you build such a chapel in your home you really should consult your pastor and discuss your plans and spiritual goals with him. Your efforts, zeal and interest (and the funds involved) might better be directed in a manner of more benefit to your spiritual life through your local community of Orthodox faithful. Is your local parish not in need of the type of skills needed for the building of a personal chapel or the funds to properly equip and outfit such a room?

This. Not a word out of place, and everything that needs to be said.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »

I just read an article about a farmer who built an actual chapel on his property.

He built it at the bequest of his ailing wife who couldn't travel the long distance to the nearest church.

However, they are not able to get a priest to serve in a "village" church.

Let's hope it will get used more in the future, as the man put in so much effort in to building it.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 11:02:07 AM »

I came across this paragraph on the steadfastly traditionalist, conservative  OrthodoxInfo webpage:

" The Church in the Home, by Dr. Constantine Cavarnos. This 20-page monograph is essential reading for all Orthodox Christians. From the Introduction: "There are families who have built chapels inside their homes, meaning a type of small christian church with an iconostasis, a Holy Table, and all that is required to conduct the Divine Liturgy. In general, these are families of great piety who are well-off and have large homes. This is not the situation I have in mind when I use the phrase "church in the home." I am simply referring to certain things we should have in our homes which are found and used in an Orthodox church that aid in our coming to greater knowledge of our Orthodox faith and in our efforts to progress in the life in Christ. I will explain each of these to you one by one." "

http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/pr_home.aspx

I think this pamphlet, if it can be found, would answer many of your concerns.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:03:08 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 11:17:36 AM »

I think that for most people, a nice icon corner should suffice.

It's not the glamour or ostentatious aspect that is important for spiritual growth.

In fact, it might actually be a bit vain to try to "out-church" the next guy.

I once read that a layperson visited a monastery and wished to have an audience with an elder.   When he was allowed admittance to the monks cell, he had expected something wondrous, gold gleaming icons, twinkling in candlelight, etc.  What he found besides the mat for sleeping, was a paper icon, pinned to his wall, and the candle was oil with a wick, burning in an old soup can.

It's not outward piety that is important...it's what is in the heart and soul.

However, if OP,  liftsifter, is planning on using it as a church for the neighborhood, this is a whole other matter.  Many churches have begun in someone's basement or garage, and grown into large parishes over time.

Either way, I hope that  liftsifter is able to accomplish what he needs.

—St. Isaac of Syria
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 06:49:26 PM »

This is actually a good idea. Icons might be expensive to come by, but if you know how to paint icons you need only to buy the materials and form the body of the iconostasis, not buy the icons themselves. Maybe your family will be able to produce a priest, and you could serve liturgies there on your namesday, and maybe the Bishop could turn your new chapel into a full-fledged parish church.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: