OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:46:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dating non-Orthodox?  (Read 3442 times) Average Rating: 0
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2013, 05:56:58 AM »

If the person is an agnostic (which she says he is), the Church will not marry thm.  They will marry an Orthodox to another Christian, but not to a non-Christian.
No, I doubt any sane priest will actually inquire into his personal beliefs . The most they'll ask for some proof of baptism. If that.
You and I know different priests...and have different definitions of sanity.
I take it as a compliment.
I had little doubt you would.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2013, 07:26:02 AM »

Kerdy, cut it out.

You don't get to talk to real human beings with dismissive stock response.

That sort of hardheartedness should be post moderated.
Not so much.  And if you think my response was hard hearted, you didn't read it or the scriptures.

Why hadn't you divorced your wife, then?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2013, 11:59:06 AM »

If the person is an agnostic (which she says he is), the Church will not marry thm.  They will marry an Orthodox to another Christian, but not to a non-Christian.
No, I doubt any sane priest will actually inquire into his personal beliefs . The most they'll ask for some proof of baptism. If that.
I had little doubt you would.

Most Orthodox jurisdictions have regulations and policies governing mixed marriages and the clergy are bound by oath to follow the prescriptions of their diocesan bishop.

Styles may differ, even within a diocese, from priest to priest, but substantively the rules are enforced.

At a minimum the non Orthodox MUST  be a baptised Christian, baptised by water with a Trinitarian formula. The priest must obtain proof of this and in my diocese at least, submit the same for review by the bishop. Obviously, if a person is baptized BUT  overtly HOSTILE to both Christianity and Orthodoxy the priest should, and most likely would decline to.marry the couple. Don't tut tut too much as sometimes it is the baptised "Orthodox" part of the couple whose agnosticism or indifference precludes the Church wedding. That is where good pastoring is very, very difficult and wrenching.

If the priest discerned the proper sincerity of both parties, even if the non Orthodox party's Faith is "somewhat shallow" in most cases they will be married. You know, the old tiny mustard seed and tiny acorn thing.....

Sadly, some men are lousy pastors and I will stop bloviating at that. Smiley
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »

As you should!

A rare delight to agree with both kerdy and you at the same time! lol

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
katerina

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2013, 02:35:19 PM »

Just to update, we've been continuing to see each other but I did tell him that church is a large, central part of my life, and we can't get more serious until he learns about it and understands/sees HOW it plays a part in my life (i.e. is this something he can deal with, or, how much can he tolerate before running for the hills!  Roll Eyes) He has told me that he wants to learn about my faith. I invited him to an upcoming parish fundraiser/dance to start with, and then will invite him to church.  Smiley
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2013, 02:58:02 PM »

Just to update, we've been continuing to see each other but I did tell him that church is a large, central part of my life, and we can't get more serious until he learns about it and understands/sees HOW it plays a part in my life (i.e. is this something he can deal with, or, how much can he tolerate before running for the hills!  Roll Eyes) He has told me that he wants to learn about my faith. I invited him to an upcoming parish fundraiser/dance to start with, and then will invite him to church.  Smiley
Sounds like a great development!  Smiley

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2013, 04:45:21 PM »

Sounds like a great development!  Smiley

Is there another parish in your area that is mostly English?  You could take him to Vespers there some time.
katerina

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2013, 01:34:31 PM »

Elisha - Technically yes, but my parish and all the parishes nearby conduct services pretty much half Slavonic and half English. There is one that I know of, about 40 minutes away, that does entirely in English. I will keep that in mind.

The first service he will be going to will be liturgy, on the church's feast day, which should be nice. He is also a big history buff and actually read about the life of the saint (Vladimir), completely unrelated to me inviting him. Which is cool, because he can at least connect the service to something.

Random question - I am cradle so this may be a silly question but I just want to be prepared... can anyone tell me what a non-Orthodox person can and cannot do during service? I'm aware of the big things (like communion.. duh  Smiley). I'm talking little things, such as: venerating icons, lighting candles, getting a blessing from a priest/kissing their hand, even eating prosfora?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 01:36:34 PM by katerina » Logged
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2013, 01:40:29 PM »

Elisha - Technically yes, but my parish and all the parishes nearby conduct services pretty much half Slavonic and half English. There is one that I know of, about 40 minutes away, that does entirely in English. I will keep that in mind.

The first service he will be going to will be liturgy, on the church's feast day, which should be nice. He is also a big history buff and actually read about the life of the saint (Vladimir), completely unrelated to me inviting him. Which is cool, because he can at least connect the service to something.

Random question - I am cradle so this may be a silly question but I just want to be prepared... can anyone tell me what a non-Orthodox person can and cannot do during service? I'm aware of the big things (like communion.. duh  Smiley). I'm talking little things, such as: venerating icons, lighting candles, getting a blessing from a priest/kissing their hand, even eating prosfora?
Non-Orthodox do all those in my parish.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2013, 01:54:24 PM »

I'm talking little things, such as: venerating icons, lighting candles, getting a blessing from a priest/kissing their hand, even eating prosfora?

Those things are all fine. There are some who insist that the antidoron is only for Orthodox Christians - which is probably true since non-Orthodox would traditionally not be permitted to remain in church until its distribution at the end of the Liturgy - but in practice, I've never been to any church where this was discouraged or not allowed. If anything, the non-Orthodox are often encouraged by the priest to receive the antidoron.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2013, 02:04:57 PM »

If anything, the non-Orthodox are often encouraged by the priest to receive the antidoron.

Yeah, I've only had antidoron denied me at one parish: the Matthewite Old Calendarist parish in Astoria, NY.  The priest (I think he's a bishop now?) handed it to me and I kissed his hand, but I informed him of who/what I was because I figured it would come up later and I didn't want to take a chance of offending them.  He very lovingly snatched it out of my hand with a smile and a welcome.  Smiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
katerina

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2013, 05:37:57 PM »

Thanks!!  Smiley
katerina

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2013, 01:20:36 PM »

Just another update... I took him to liturgy and he loved it! He said the minute he stepped into church his mind was blown.  Smiley He found the singing, the icons, the entire service to be beautiful and fascinating. There was a language barrier, but I told him not to worry so much about that for now, I just wanted him to experience it. I took the time to explain a few general things to him.

We had a long discussion afterwards about it, and religion in general. He explained that he is not adamantly non-religious, but instead struggles with issues of certainty, but understands that somehow church, praying, and religion are important. He acknowledges that he feels something inside of him at certain times, and he felt this when he came to liturgy.

Sometimes its very hard for me to understand what he is going through. I grew up strong in my faith so for me, even in times of despair or occasional doubt, God is very real.

Long story short - he wants to keep coming to church and learn more!  Smiley So.. I guess I will just keep on taking him. Please keep both of us in your prayers.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2013, 02:22:43 PM »

Sounds good  Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2013, 03:08:26 PM »

Just another update... I took him to liturgy and he loved it! He said the minute he stepped into church his mind was blown.  Smiley He found the singing, the icons, the entire service to be beautiful and fascinating. There was a language barrier, but I told him not to worry so much about that for now, I just wanted him to experience it. I took the time to explain a few general things to him.

We had a long discussion afterwards about it, and religion in general. He explained that he is not adamantly non-religious, but instead struggles with issues of certainty, but understands that somehow church, praying, and religion are important. He acknowledges that he feels something inside of him at certain times, and he felt this when he came to liturgy.

Sometimes its very hard for me to understand what he is going through. I grew up strong in my faith so for me, even in times of despair or occasional doubt, God is very real.

Long story short - he wants to keep coming to church and learn more!  Smiley So.. I guess I will just keep on taking him. Please keep both of us in your prayers.

Good. Hopefully, he'll learn some Slavonic

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags: dating 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: