OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 07:19:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: regarding career change - big fear of taking the first step and cant get over it  (Read 200 times) Average Rating: 0
Faith2545
Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: greek

« on: July 31, 2013, 01:59:12 PM »

I've been dealing with this fear for about 6 years now. Upon graduating college twelve years ago, I started a business that went okay but had to end it due to a health issue I was facing at the time. It took me out of work for about two years. I then went to work with the family business where I'm currently in.

Initially, I thought it would be fine - not worried about getting fired, backstabbing, mindless co-worker spats and chats, and most importantly, taking off for religious services freely. However, I'm at a point in my life where I feel lost and misguided. Work days are slowly passing hours that are basic and uninteresting. I don't socialize with anyone other than family, zero personal life, lacking ambition...sadly, I could go on. I decided to go back to school. I enrolled and was accepted. But i'm still held back by one thing...fear.

I never worked anywhere else. I graduated with a degree in business but never used it in ways I thought I would. I felt 'coerced,' if you will, by my father to study business - as he had put it, 'you can do anything with it.'  I tried to, but it didn't work out.

So for years now, I'm praying for the Lord to help me - to guide my to where He wants me to be. I keep asking Him, what is it I'm to do in this life. I never felt to be a teacher, lawyer, doctor, or any specific profession. I had an inclination to want to work with kids but more as in physical therapy, however, due to some small issue with my right hand I felt I would always be questioned regarding my abilities.

But i'm still asking the Lord for help. I have tried looking for other jobs but always feared applying because of some irrational fear. I felt that if it would be too overwhelming for me then I wouldn't have a way out. Or that my minor issue with my hand would undermine my abilities.

how can I stop being afraid of taking the first step? i'm a determined person who goes after things, but I've noticed fear can paralyze me quickly and delay me. And I believe the Lord sees these things in me and delays His blessings for me. How can I get over this?
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 02:18:27 PM »

We're all like that.  We all fear change, even if we don't admit it.

It's fear of the unknown.  What if the change I make, ends out being wrong for me?  What if the job is worse than what I have now?  What if the people don't like me?  What if I don't like the people?

You can scare yourself silly.

Since you work in a family business you stated, then I would say go for it.  If it doesn't work out, you can always return to the family business....which you wouldn't be able to do if it were just another job.

I'm sure your family would be supportive of you wanting to try new things.  You are still young.  Now is the time to do the exploring and testing.

If you try, and you don't get the other job, then know that it wasn't meant for you.  If you do, then go for it!  God will guide you...you just have to put your trust in Him.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Faith2545
Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: greek

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 07:53:28 PM »

Thanks for the reply and you're very right. Also, not the first one to tell me that too. I know I have a back up with the family business. I just cant allow fear to paralyze me anymore. I have an appointment with a career counselor next week and will discuss my options with her.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: